Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

EDIT:

Army of Thieves, a film set during the outbreak of the zombie-virus in New Vegas, is going to be released on Netflix on October 29th. Directed by Mathias Schweighöfer and produced by the Snyders, it focuses on the safe-cracker (lol) Deiter being recruited into a heist team to try and crack the siblings to the Gotdammarung safe we see in Army of the dead.

Here's a trailer for that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ith2WetKXlg

End edit

Fresh of the magnificent tour de force that was Zack Snyders Justice League on HBO max, Zack is coming out with his next Zombie film, Army of the Dead.

Coming on netflix on May 21st or in select theaters on May 14th (check your local theatres, zombie fans), it marks the return to the genre for Zack. His first film was famously Dawn of the dead, a remake of Romeros film with the same title, starting a long and time honored tradition of Zacks films pissing off hardcore nerds.
Army of the dead is a heist zombie movie. Starring Dave Bautista, gets hired to assemble a team to break into a vault in Las Vegas. The catch is that Vegas is ground zero for a Zombie virus outbreak, and it's walled off and scheduled to be nuked in a few days time, so Bautista and his team have to get in and out before they reenact Fallout: New Vegas. Part heist movie, part zombie flick, part action, Zack himself said that this is a "genre busting film".

McCloud fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oh, I also forgot to mention that there's two spinoffs to AOTD coming. Army of Thieves, a prequel to AOTD, is a german-american production, directed by Matthias Schweighöfer (who also stars in AOTD) and produced by Zack and Debbie Snyder.

There's also going to be an anime series, showing the fall of Las Vegas, appropriately called Army of the dead: Lost Vegas

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've not tickets for Friday night. It'll be my first theatrical movie since Birds of Prey. And poetically, the last movie I saw in this particular theater was Man of Steel. I can't believe I have something to look forward to on a Friday night again.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Wait, the zombies also live in a society :psyduck:

Lol, I love Snyder so I'm definitely checking this out, even though I'm not too hot on his Dawn and am generally tired of zombie stuff

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Blood Boils posted:

Zack Snyder in 2017, after seeing Josstice League: I'm going to become the Joker

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Super excited. Got a ticket for Thursday at 7 PM

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Bautista is the best wrestler turned actor don't @ me.

Or @ me if you want to, I'm not anybody's boss. :sun:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

And am generally tired of zombie stuff

Same, which is why I hope the movie goes in an I Am Legend direction.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I was tired of zombie stuff 10 years ago but have avoided the genre and now am pretty psyched to see someone with Snyder's talent take another crack at it (especially with nearly 2 decades of experience amassed since Dawn)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The most reassuring thing about AotD in regards to the genre is everyone involved seems extremely aware of how much its been done to death and set out with the goal of making something that pushes the genre in new directions.

Im sure it will have a lot of elements of other zombie pieces of media that go outside the norm but I get the distinct feeling this takes a sort of fantasy approach to the "Undead" with a scifi twist given the origin of the virus being tied to Area 51.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

AccountSupervisor posted:

Im sure it will have a lot of elements of other zombie pieces of media that go outside the norm but I get the distinct feeling this takes a sort of fantasy approach to the "Undead" with a scifi twist given the origin of the virus being tied to Area 51.
Could maybe end up being a Ghosts of Mars type thing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blood Boils posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp_3553sw0Q

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
They definitely seem more like ghouls than "proper" zombies in the trailer

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Roman posted:

Could maybe end up being a Ghosts of Mars type thing?

My theory is some kind of crashed alien ship carries the infection to Earth or an intelligent microbial alien species that takes over planets via infection and spread similar to Symbiotes, etc. .

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
I've been catching up on some of the press stuff in anticipation of the second half of the Snyder renaissance, and it's interesting to see that his work on this film may have converted him into a believer of digital cameras (At least for some purposes). And also the kind of extreme FOV effects shown in the trailers so far are a function of his experimental usage of unusual lenses. All signs seem to point to this being possibly the lightest film he's ever made, which I'm not sure how I feel about, but we'll see what that means relative to his filmography.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 11, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yeah, he apparently shot most of the film at f/0.95 which is extremely unusual. I think he shot the Joker scene for ZSJL with a similar setup, Snyder seems really wild about the ability to just hold the camera and point it where he wants, compared to something with a film magazine attached.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

For sure, this will cinematically be very different from what we've seen before. It's funny because he said that he hasn't functioned as his own D.P. before because he didn't know he was allowed to do that; and combined with this film being his exploration of the horizon after the claustrophobic environment of superhero film-making, I think we're in for some formally strange stuff and I'm all in.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

His comments about "being ready for a movie like that" in regards to the small drama Horse Latitudes hes been trying to make are really funny because he has almost taken the complete opposite path as most filmmakers who start making smaller movies and then get to helm some huge blockbuster as an accomplishment.

Theres an interesting respect he shows the skill it takes to make a good small dramatic film by showing his skill in making massive blockbusters doesnt neccessarily meam thats some kind of peak to reach as a filmmaker.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

It would be extremely funny is Snyder went backwards and ended up doing small, quaint period piece dramas.

Zack Snyder’s Jane Austin’s Sense and Sensibility.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hump day bitches! posted:

It would be extremely funny is Snyder went backwards and ended up doing small, quaint period piece dramas.

Only if the guys are half naked and oiled up

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

hump day bitches! posted:

You left out some words

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Charlz Guybon posted:

You left out some words

Would kill to be in a timeline where Snyder directed that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies adaptation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I watched it in theaters last night. It was a great film. I don't want to get into spoilers. So I'll give two thoughts. This was the first zombie film where I thought "I wonder what the zombies are planning." The other thing is that this is the dynamic between Deiter and Vanderohe.

Edit: There is no after credits sequence.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 15, 2021

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Just saw it. I'll hold off on a deeper read, but you guys should really brush up on your Joseph Campbell before you see the movie. It's been over a year since I've been in a movie theater, I got a little overstimulated. It's easy to see why Netflix wanted to release this in theaters; the sound design is really loving good. Just like ZSJL it's perfectly paced, the two and a half hours flies right by.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 16, 2021

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Well this absolutely rocked. Just a tightly woven mash of so many different genres to create something very familiar but also very unique in the genre and all with that Snyder touch. I actually really did not expect the heel turn to be centered around getting the head for the purpose of creating and controlling a zombie army. It adds a cool stakes to this that kind of marries Romero with Resident Evil which sets up the franchise potential....and thats before the alien poo poo even comes into play

On that note...you definitely see two UFOs zoom away from Area 51 right at the beginning right? It happened so fast it was hard to catch.

I am very curious what the alien connection is to all of this.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I haven't had Netflix in years, any good deals? I see their 4k plan is almost $20.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Army of the Dead Review
Contains *BIG SPOILERS*

I'm a Snyder fan. This is a pretty divisive thing to be these days, but I've always enjoyed his work, even when he misfires (and he does misfire). What keeps me coming back to his movies - and why I find Snyder such a fascinating auteur - is because he nakedly wears his influences on his sleeves, and these are my influences as well. The other quality I enjoy about Snyder is that he has zero pretention: he grew up scanning Heavy Metal, reading comic books, and watching the great action and sci-fi films of the late 20th century and then decided that's the kind of thing he wanted to do, too. If you ever watch his interviews, he spends a lot of time just spit-balling with the interview about what he finds "cool". This also encompasses his reasons for doing movies, the kinds of shots he likes, and the thematic elements he chooses. They are "cool" or "awesome", full stop, nothing deeper. I admire that sort of mental clarity. Then he'll start talking about how he framed a shot, and suddenly he's spergin' out on f-stops and iris openings, and then you realize that despite his doofy personality, the man is a real filmmaker.

Army of the Dead is not an original idea. It's Zombie Las Vegas, a trope so tired they made two Dead Rising video games about it over a dozen years ago; it's also Snyder's second zombie movie with Fast Zeds. It's a heist movie that follows every signpost of the genre, the action is shot in the typical Snyder way of gorgeously-composed speed-manipulated images, and the ending - after a real emotional downbeat that still offers a bit of light at the end of the tunnel - slumps into a typical "here we go again" franchise denouement. So, on paper, this is everything you've ever seen before.

Except it's not, of course.

One of the movie's most clever conceits is that it knows exactly what you're thinking when it says "Zombie Las Vegas Heist" and then proceeds to give that to you, either in the opening credits montage or in a meetup fantasy sequence of how the heist "should" go. Most of these shots made it into the Netflix trailer, and for good reason: they are Snyder indulging the audience and himself. Oh you want to see a bunch of strapped badasses just absolutely meat-grinder a zombie horde and look good doing it? Well, here you go champ. Enjoy. Oh you want to see showgirl zombies chase around a creep in his penthouse suite, totally emasculating him in the process? 20 seconds well spent. The dying boomer on oxygen is so obsessed with squeezing wealth out of his last few years of life that he can't see the catastrophe heading straight for him - good stuff! The opening credit montage is a mini zombie movie in itself; you could end it right as the last storage container crashed down and it's a compelling and complete narrative. Snyder shows exactly what you would want to see, but it doesn't last. It's literally over before the credits roll or is an explicit fantasy.

So if you're not getting nothing but well-shot badass poo poo then what are you getting? The movie advances the fascinating idea of a bunch of medievil zombie dickheads who have re-invented feudalism in the wastes of abandoned Las Vegas. Who better than the dead to rule a dead land? So instead of a movie about fighting The Shambler Blob, it's a movie about not pissing off the Neanderthal assholes who have taken over the place. The movie advances the idea that this Zed society is not in equilibrium but actively trying to increase their numbers, possibly for a break-out or to expand their territory. Despite being ostensibly free from capitalism, they're still driven to expand and consume, despite needing literally nothing material. The Alphas are unable to escape the orbit of their old life even on the blasted streets of the Strip.

And of course what stirs up these jerks is corporate greed; the Alphas and their leader don't give a poo poo about money and would have happily let Scott and his heist gang loot the poo poo out of the place. Alas, corporations don't give a poo poo about human (or zombie) relationships and there's never enough money. (one of the movie's cleverer conceits is that the heist itself is totally unnecessary as the evil corporation has already been reimbursed for the contents of the vault - but of course why settle for 200m when you could have 350m + a 100 billion bioweapon? Who is the real mindless expanding blob here?). This greed predictably kicks off real Clash of Civilizations stuff. I'm sorry to say it goes pretty much how you expect: each encounter is going to end with one or more team members picked off by the horde. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this - it's beautifully filmed and appropriately kinetic and exciting - but after never going in the obvious direction during the heist, the last act can feel a bit perfunctory. Oh here's the big escape sequence. Somebody is killed in a shockingly sudden way. Somebody dies to save somebody else. Somebody goes out in a blaze of glory. I really did enjoy Bautista's Die Hard-esque terrified face as he narrowly avoids a massive explosion; despite looking like he eats iron and pisses bullets, Bautista has a vulnerable energy that makes you think that HE thinks he could die any moment. I like that.

The movie's emotional core is Scott Ward and his daughter attempting to repair their relationship and it largely lands, feeling emotionally true and never dipping into schmaltz. I hate to say it, but I'm sure that realness in part came because of Snyder's personal tragedy. The less said about that the better, beyond saying that they build the film around it and both the actors deliver the goods. There's a scene where Scott stammers out an apology to his daughter that felt like Bautista improvised the line, and that's a very good thing to see. Too often Snyder can shoot his characters a bit too statuesque and heroic to feel like relatable characters, but that's never an issue here. The amount of close-ups (necessitated by the special Canon Dream lenses the movie was shot with) keep things very intimate.

A couple of the scenes in the movie didn't land with me. One involves a few of the characters standing around watching someone fight shamblers until they are overcome - and nobody watching even attempts to intervene beyond yelling encouragement, even though it's shot as though they could easily help. A second scene involves a self-interested character functionally committing suicide by placing herself in a situation from which there seems no escape - I still don't understand why she did it. Other than that, most of these characters behave like they should and there's no bizarre heel turns or anything else. The movie plays fair with the characters and fair with everyone's motivations. The characters who you expect to sell their lives dearly do, and the ones you expect to go out like punks do. Satisfying.

Also if you want goofy stuff the weird Snyder touches are in full force here. The implication that zombies are caused by aliens, the return of the Zombie Baby, a bunch of Elvis impersonator corpses hanging by their necks in the dark, Sigfreid and Roy's tiger becoming a zombie, shamblers that "hibernate" in bizarre poses (including dabbing, the Thriller, and I think I saw a Gangham Style in there), zombies that dry out in the sun but come back to life (briefly) if it rains, the boss zombie forging a helmet so he can't be headshot, a vault named after The Ring of the Nibelung opera (for which the soundtrack blasts music from that opera whenever the characters view it), robot zombies with glowing blue eyes and metal endoskeletons that are only in frame for a handful of moments (I saw the eyes but missed the metal the first time through the movie), a visual gag and dialog that suggests that the heist is a time loop (!!!). Goofy, weird ideas that make you smile or roll your eyes (or possibly both at the same time).

If I had a main complaint about this movie, it would be that Snyder's strength also occasionally becomes his weakness. I love that he's so on-the-nose with his themes and references but in this movie it can become a little too obvious. There's a couple of scenes ripped near-direct from Aliens. The zombie tiger attack felt like a rehash of The Revenant, although it certainly ends with more finality. The team-building of the heist sequence feels like the movie throws up its hands and says "yeah this is how all these movies go, so what?" and just embraced it to the point that the world's greatest living safecracker, completely by chance, works within a 30 mile radius of the main character. Well ok then. Whaddya want, that they CAN'T open the vault? Are you in, or are you out?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 19, 2021

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Fully vaxxed with tickets reserved today for one of them fancy premium theatres. Sensory overload incoming.

Here are my quick thoughts, without too much spoilers:

Army of the Dead –the title & the opening montage notes the atmosphere of the film as the U.S. military losing a war with the nation-state of ‘Occupy Las Vegas'. Of course, Las Vegas is famous for its reproduction of various famous iconography of U.S. cities, so the setting functions as a fractal of extravagant American civilization being overrun by this dirty, brutish, and incomprehensible horde. Multiplying at a frightening rate at the direct cost of civilized lives, the zombie epidemic almost embodies the argument of ‘White genocide’, which is frequently used by the hard right-wing to induce moral panic and bring fearful people to their cause.

War is very efficient at creating refugee crises - it’s only the coyote character that seems able to empathize with the zombies & takes the time to learn their culture. Of course, she learns all of this stuff to better do her job, but also recognizes how their brutally honest culture contrasts with the duplicitousness of humanity; so she functions as the medium between humanity & the zombies, both individually and structurally. In that way, the film is a kind of inversion of 300.

My main complaint is the unusual amount of scenes featuring characters expositing to others their feelings, content of which are ultimately crucial to the emotional substance of the film. But on the other hand, the film is also about the inability of alienated people to communicate contrasted with the united zombies, so maybe I will change my mind about this on a re-watch.

Even though I'm not a fan of zombie/gore-heavy films, and would subsequently place AOTD quite low on Snyder's filmography due to (What I presume is) its unrelenting commitment to and subversion of those genres, I nevertheless recognize the gorgeous visual/audio design of this film. What a way to return to theatres.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 20, 2021

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Release the Chippendale Penis Cut

e: not to be confused with the Cut Penis Chippendale :jewish:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Snyder gave us sexy male stripper zombies, and they said this man doesn't know what the people want.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AccountSupervisor posted:

The most reassuring thing about AotD in regards to the genre is everyone involved seems extremely aware of how much its been done to death and set out with the goal of making something that pushes the genre in new directions.

One of the very first things in the movie is the military convoy rolling out from Area 51 with a couple of incongruous lights in the sky, that zip off in different directions unnoticed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

McCloud posted:

Oh, I also forgot to mention that there's two spinoffs to AOTD coming. Army of Thieves, a prequel to AOTD, is a german-american production, directed by Matthias Schweighöfer (who also stars in AOTD) and produced by Zack and Debbie Snyder.

There's also going to be an anime series, showing the fall of Las Vegas, appropriately called Army of the dead: Lost Vegas

This is kind of genius because of how we learn in AOTD that Bautista's team isn't the first to go in. They could do prequels forever.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the very first things in the movie is the military convoy rolling out from Area 51 with a couple of incongruous lights in the sky, that zip off in different directions unnoticed.

There are also robot zombies with glowing blue eyes and metal skeletons and Snyder confirmed it in an interview. Theres a lot of wacky directions they could take this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

This is kind of genius because of how we learn in AOTD that Bautista's team isn't the first to go in. They could do prequels forever.

There's also the time loop stuff, they could literally start the next movie with Scott putting the team together and no acknowledgment of the previous movie. Which would own.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's also the time loop stuff, they could literally start the next movie with Scott putting the team together and no acknowledgment of the previous movie. Which would own.

It would be hilarious if the movie took so long to come out because they were filming a bunch of alternate introduction and death scenes to take that into account lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's like this really is a Payday heist.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Anyone know whether the soundtrack album will be released tomorrow or when?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

pospysyl posted:

Anyone know whether the soundtrack album will be released tomorrow or when?

Tomorrow

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I saw it, it owns. Going to bed, gonna post my thoughts when I'm at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even though I’m not a Snyder person I think Netflix not doing any theatrical releases outside of America is bullshit