Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh also despite being supposedly pegged to the US dollar the value somehow fluctuates between 90 cents and $1.10 for reasons I don't think anyone's ever been able to adequately explain, so there's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

What exact kind of stupidity is Ripple again?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Munin posted:

What exact kind of stupidity is Ripple again?

a centralised token pump'n'dump scam

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
take a pad of postit notes. assert that they're each worth like ten million dollars, so a pad of a hundred of them is worth a billion.

of course nobody will believe that by itself, so you have to prove you have a billion dollars worth of assets. so what you do is give your postits to me. in exchange I give you i have a ream of printer paper. there's 500 sheets in it and each sheet is an iou from me worth two million dollars. now if anyone questions if your postit notes are worth a billion dollars, just point to the billion dollars in assets you have sitting on your desk

tether is exactly the same thing, only without the postit notes or printer paper. also they claim like fifty billion instead of one

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Shame Boy posted:

tether started out by claiming to be a coin that is one to one pegged to the value of the US dollar, by having a dollar in a bank account for each tether issued.

Do I understand correctly: If they actually had that, the meaning/implication of this would be that in the scenario when people for some reason or other want to have their tethers replaced by actual dollaridoos, tether ltd would honor that agreement i.e. would in fact take your tethers and give you dollars in a 1:1 ratio. And the assumption that they could do that if necessary is what makes tethers valuable at the current point in time?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
bitfinex you cowards. give us the sixty billionth tether. you chickens, you cringing nitwits

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the official good news for bitcoin smiley: :marc:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
buttcoin

Alan Smithee posted:

like affluenza but the opposite

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ocean of Milk posted:

Do I understand correctly: If they actually had that, the meaning/implication of this would be that in the scenario when people for some reason or other want to have their tethers replaced by actual dollaridoos, tether ltd would honor that agreement i.e. would in fact take your tethers and give you dollars in a 1:1 ratio. And the assumption that they could do that if necessary is what makes tethers valuable at the current point in time?

yes, that's how it allegedly works, although their terms and conditions says that they don't have to redeem them if they don't want to.

also, they won't redeem your tethers, you're not important enough. but there are a lot of people redeeming tethers, just off-frame

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Tether is just a scheme for wealthy Chinese nationals to launder Renminbi into mainly US Dollars

e: obviously other people use it for money laundering too but their main concern is getting money out of China

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 20, 2021

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Sagebrush posted:

i don't have any idea what tether is

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of a tether binge.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Munkeymon posted:

Tether is just a scheme for wealthy Chinese nationals to launder Renminbi into mainly US Dollars

e: obviously other people use it for money laundering too but their main concern is getting money out of China
What are you basing this on? How many USDTs actually have their debt superposition collapse and become USD? I'd argue mining turns far more RMB into USD.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

my assumption is it's people trying to avoid tax on their bitcoin trading.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dtseng123/status/1395367017172119552

so close!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

has anyone said asscoin yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9aM_dT5VMI

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
hello I would like to invest upteen-seventy-billion dollars in fraudulent assets please

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

fins posted:

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of a tether binge.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
has this wonderful thread been posted?

https://twitter.com/GiganticRebirth/status/1395069016952217600?s=19

e;https://twitter.com/thisisthecoin/status/1395107162116919299?s=19

this one in particular is loving hilarious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Looking for people who will have learned a lesson and come back stronger. No scams

i feel like those aren't mutually exclusive

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
here's a good idea I just came up with

a shitcoin pyramid scheme within a shitcoin pyramid scheme

see, you start off the pyramid with a new shitcoin and you recruit two friends to start a new shitcoin. they send up a portion of the pre-minded shitcoins. then they each get two friends to do the same. if you get in quick then you make off like a bandit with the preminded coins flowing upward

I'll take my 10% commission for this lucrative idea. thanks and g*d bless

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i swear every time i see max keiser its like gilbert gottfried is giving me financial tips

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

i swear every time i see max keiser its like gilbert gottfried is giving me financial tips

:same:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
buttcoin: $rear end is the new digital gold

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Shumagorath posted:

What are you basing this on? How many USDTs actually have their debt superposition collapse and become USD? I'd argue mining turns far more RMB into USD.

observations over the years and some, IMO reasonable, inference. Bitfinex started out in Hong Kong and spawned Tether in order to create liquidity in the crypto markets. picking USD as the peg would be because the currency they wanted to end up holding was USD, otherwise they could've picked Euros with, I think (but am not sure), less regulatory scrutiny

you're Not Wrong about mining but Chinese bitcoin mine operators need a place to exchange their shitcoins for currency so their interests align with rich folks who just want to get some money out of China

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I just wanna say seriously I don't think it's funny when people ruin their lives because they don't understand how bitcoin works/doesn't work, or when they fall for a scam.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

browsers castle posted:

so glad I cashed out for Rabid Wombats years ago on the gox

wanted to let you know that I appreciated this joke.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nvrgrls posted:

I just wanna say seriously I don't think it's funny when people ruin their lives because they don't understand how bitcoin works/doesn't work, or when they fall for a scam.

thank you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

nvrgrls posted:

sure, but i do think it's funny when they ruin their lives because they know how bitcoin works, or when instead of falling for a scam they join it knowing full well it's a scam and think they can catch the falling knife, which is like 90% of bitcoiner stories

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
even when they've been beating their chest the whole time about how well they understood it?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like if you're a random person who got conned into it by your idiot nephew who's good with computers or w/e i have sympathy. if you know enough about bitcoin to be reasonably expected to know what an environmental catastrophe it is and yet engage with it anyway you deserve to lose everything.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
buttcoin: the fundaments are good

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

then we should shut it down for being a grift with no social utility right? everyone's who's made money does so on the back of someone else who paid to hold that bag. that's the definition of a ponzi, like it's been explained for the last literal decade.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

get rich quick schemes are almost always the domain of people who think they're smarter than everyone else

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

kw0134 posted:

then we should shut it down for being a grift with no social utility right? everyone's who's made money does so on the back of someone else who paid to hold that bag. that's the definition of a ponzi, like it's been explained for the last literal decade.

Yes, absolutely. Bitcoin and crypto is pure hot garbage so long as it remains unregulated, and to regulate it, you'd have to start fresh

I laugh because its grimly funny how openly this is all scams but all these loving pompous assholes think they are investing in the future are constantly telling detractors 'you just don't get it'

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

nvrgrls posted:

I don't think it's funny when a bunch of morons gently caress the planet up because they want to believe it will make them rich
So they can all go gently caress themselves for all I care. I have no sympathy

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
you can't con an honest person

I may occasionally find it not funny. I may rarely even spare some sympathy for folks who simply trusted the wrong people. but at the end of the day, every single person who lost money on cryptocurrency trading deserved what they got

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
@pinboard was on CNBC talking about the crypto grift and the butters are so mad lol

https://twitter.com/cnbctechcheck/status/1395409188730376194

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 20, 2021

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

also, just pointing out, that thread I posted is people begging for bits to get BACK INTO the market that just hosed them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

ManMythLegend posted:

wanted to let you know that I appreciated this joke.

:thanks: