Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's just not for you

Nah, Disco Elysium is very good and I enjoyed it a lot but they're definitely right that it's lacking in the RPG department. Most of the stats differences are very much about flavor, which has its own benefits but it's not the same as having a more mechanical effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Phigs posted:

Nah, Disco Elysium is very good and I enjoyed it a lot but they're definitely right that it's lacking in the RPG department. Most of the stats differences are very much about flavor, which has its own benefits but it's not the same as having a more mechanical effect.

I'm kinda on your side. I loved DE and I plan to play the new edition soon, but I'd categorize it as an adventure game more than an RPG. That's a good thing, I hope others will make similar games in the future.

Mass Effect was discussed earlier and in my last playthrough I played in the easiest mode, because I just want to get past the boring shooting and get to the dialogue. That's where it's at.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Disco Elysium is basically a point and click adventure but instead of obscure puzzles with unusual items, it's a very text heavy and your skillset in exploring the world is unique in that they vary from your perception to your authority to your police spirit to your morale. It's just a fascinating game and I hope they take the same skillset and structure and apply it to other locations and settings.

Man point and click adventures ruled, I play so god drat many as a kid, they really needed the right balance of setting, voice acting and puzzle mechanics and when it was right they were some of my favourites. Day of the Tentacle and Toonstruck were 2 of my favourites, people raved about Monkey Island, I thought it was good but the comedy never hit for me the same way, really should play more than the first one.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I remember we had the monty python and the holy grail point and click adventure game but we couldn't get past a certain spot so my mate and I would play it up to that point and then start over from the beginning. In conclusion point and click adventure games are probably bad

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Disco Elysium is basically a point and click adventure but instead of obscure puzzles with unusual items, it's a very text heavy and your skillset in exploring the world is unique in that they vary from your perception to your authority to your police spirit to your morale. It's just a fascinating game and I hope they take the same skillset and structure and apply it to other locations and settings.

Man point and click adventures ruled, I play so god drat many as a kid, they really needed the right balance of setting, voice acting and puzzle mechanics and when it was right they were some of my favourites. Day of the Tentacle and Toonstruck were 2 of my favourites, people raved about Monkey Island, I thought it was good but the comedy never hit for me the same way, really should play more than the first one.

Lucasfilm/Lucasarts adventure games are almost a yearly playthrough for me. And ScummVM makes it so nice to play them on modern machines. They are really defining games for me from my youth.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
lmao that was pretty common with those games, sometimes you'd just get stuck and have no idea what to do, it's why I particularly liked Day of the Tentacle and Toonstruck, they followed a cool logic with their puzzles, Day of the Tentacle revolving around time travel and Toonstuck revolving around opposites

I remember my mates mum printing a walkthrough for Discworld 2 off her work computer from gamefaqs lmao, would never have beaten the game without it, just after that my aunt got internet access, when we visited i got to download a Final Fantasy 8 walkthrough ands a nes emulator with metal gear onto a floppy disc, crazy days man, it's just so everyday now

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

lobsterminator posted:

Lucasfilm/Lucasarts adventure games are almost a yearly playthrough for me. And ScummVM makes it so nice to play them on modern machines. They are really defining games for me from my youth.

The only one that really holds up for multiple playthroughs for me is Day of the Tentacle. I just can't stay interested in the Monkey Islands (I and II) enough to have a few chuckles and then wander off to do something else, and Sam and Max feels a little slower. Something about DotT sparks more joy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ahh the days when my dad would take me into his office on the weekends to print out massive strategy guides off the internet so I wouldn't use up the printer paper that he actually had to pay for

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I'm glad I did some early save scumming to realize DE isn't really that reactive, otherwise my crippling fear of missing out on content would stop me from progressing further :v: and it is still drat good

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I remember printing out a walkthrough to save on the phone bill and having to hang the pages on a clothesline to dry out the ink

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
As a child I did not know the wrath I would bring from my father when I hit the print all button for a GameFaqs walkthrough of Final Fantasy 6. So much wasted paper and ink.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Monkey Island 3 is the best point and click adventure game ever made and it's insane to me that people play the first two and call it done

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

These days I think they prefer to be called seismologists

Quakers is their word

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I remember my mates mum printing a walkthrough for Discworld 2 off her work computer from gamefaqs lmao, would never have beaten the game without it, just after that my aunt got internet access, when we visited i got to download a Final Fantasy 8 walkthrough ands a nes emulator with metal gear onto a floppy disc, crazy days man, it's just so everyday now

we used to keep our super nintendo emulators on zip disks

the bad old days

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

flavor.flv posted:

Monkey Island 3 is the best point and click adventure game ever made and it's insane to me that people play the first two and call it done

That doesn't need to be augered?

Man, yeah you'd miss out on Murray! And the whole Goodsoup bit...

Man, I wanna play it again now!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Disco Elysium is a narrative-driven point and click adventure game with elements inspired by traditional tabletop RPGs, written by huge nerds for huge nerds. It's like the Dark Souls of political nerdery.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

flavor.flv posted:

A pirate I was meant to be!
Trim the sails and roam the sea!

https://youtu.be/y9bXjttMxKY

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Day of the Tentacle was the first game I beat by myself in first grade and I got a certificate at assembly for asking my teacher how to spell "complete" when I was writing about it in my school diary.

There's no way I could beat it without cheating now.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Remedy isn't that great of a dev and their stories are mostly bland.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's just not for you

No idea why you'd say this after I said multiple times that I like the game quite a bit lol. I just don't think it's really what it's often sold as.

It's possible to like something, but also not think it's perfect and/or recognize how it could be better. In this case I was just mostly disappointed because I thought the game would have more gameplay systems going on. Like I said before, the writing is great, the style is great. The story and characters are good. There's plenty to like about it but at the end of the day people are always selling it as an amazing RPG, when it's more of a point and click or visual novel with some extremely light RPG stuff going on.

tripwood posted:

Disco Elysium is a narrative-driven point and click adventure game with elements inspired by traditional tabletop RPGs, written by huge nerds for huge nerds. It's like the Dark Souls of political nerdery.

This is a pretty good description for the back of the box.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 20, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

No idea why you'd say this after I said multiple times that I like the game quite a bit lol. I just don't think it's really what it's often sold as.

It's possible to like something, but also not think it's perfect and/or recognize how it could be better. In this case I was just mostly disappointed because I thought the game would have more gameplay systems going on. Like I said before, the writing is great, the style is great. The story and characters are good. There's plenty to like about it but at the end of the day people are always selling it as an amazing RPG, when it's more of a point and click or visual novel with some extremely light RPG stuff going on.

This is a pretty good description for the back of the box.

I mean it technically is a role playing game since the entire game is centred around you playing a role. In fact its more of a role playing game than most rpgs cuz it actually lets you delve deep into playing that role and sculpting what that role actually is rather than just "am i fighter or am I a wizard, alright now that that's out of the way let's roll some dice"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
When you're in a city in an RPG you don't go into battle mode either :colbert:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be clear I have no desire to see combat in DE. Fans/ reviews/marketing make it look like there is all of this entertaining stat/build based reaction stuff going on and it's not actually a major part of the game. It's mostly a novelty that happens once in a blue moon and almost everything is conveyed in conversations that ultimately lead to the same place.

I'd probably take less issue with it if people talked about it like the point and click game it is, instead of it being some bold reinvention of the RPG, when I can go play something like DOS2 with gameplay systems that are way more engaging. It's a good story game, and that's fine, but so many people talk about it like it's some next level RPG and it's very much not.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 20, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Disco Elysium is a better game than DOS2

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The conversations are different based on what stats you have. Many conversations don't happen at all. People live or die based on your skills and you can totally fail to solve the case at all even when you reach the ending. Having dice rolls is a quintessential rpg mechanic. Most of the dice rolls you don't see if your stat isn't high enough. You can solve problems/quests differently with various character builds.

veni veni veni posted:

It's mostly a novelty that happens once in a blue moon and almost everything is conveyed in conversations that ultimately lead to the same place.

This is just a straight up lie.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Even if conversations in games lead to the same place, the conversations are probably different and thats a meaningfully different game experience in itself.

I haven't played the game though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vic posted:

This is just a straight up lie.

Can you give me more than 5 or 6 examples over the course of the entire game where something unusual happens that isn't conveyed via text?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Can you give me more than 5 or 6 examples over the course of the entire game where something unusual happens that isn't conveyed via text?

so you want something unusual that doesn't happen over text, in a game completely focused around text as proof that the game has a ton of flexibility and permutations?

are all games that don't have FMV action scenes just the same no matter how you play it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No. Please read the context of things you are responding to first tia.

fridge corn posted:

Disco Elysium is a better game than DOS2

There is no way in hell you have played through DOS2 fridge corn.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 20, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

It's mostly a novelty that happens once in a blue moon and almost everything is conveyed in conversations that ultimately lead to the same place.

veni veni veni posted:

Which one is it?

This is from my only playthrough

set grafitti on fire,
knocked out a pale generator making a person blow their brains out
the shootout (several things will happen here based on stats/choices)
made a mural,
punched Cuno in the face making him respect me
shot down the hanged man
knocked down a door
grabbed a tie from a ceiling fan without getting a heart attack

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

There is no way in hell you have played through DOS2 fridge corn.

I havent finished it but I'm a lot further along in it than disco elysium

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Divinity Original Sin 2 has some of the best combat I've played in an RPG but I just didn't care about the story

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

It's one of those games where the main quest story isn't all that novel, but the individual character interactions and relationships and the way they tie into the worldbuilding (which I think is very good in Dos2) create a really immersive narrative

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
video game stories don't stick with me like movies or books, and I think that's why I've kinda stopped caring about stories in games. I'm not sure why, but I have a harder time trying to remember the story in a video game, even if I thought it was good at the time, than I do a good book or movie or even music. To me it's kinda like the fast food of the story telling medium -- goes in and comes right back out. Like am I gonna remember the pages of dialogue in a game a week later? probably not

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ChazTurbo posted:

Remedy isn't that great of a dev and their stories are mostly bland.

I really thought Control was going somewhere and then the story just kind of peters out at the end.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vandar posted:

I really thought Control was going somewhere and then the story just kind of peters out at the end.

The best parts of control is everything that isn't the main villain which kind of sucks! Like the dirt mother that mind controlled children with her milk and then murdered all the adults in Jesses hometown and the kid who got so stoned on his fire starter dreams became a melting dog that saved her is rad oh no gotta go to the red dimension blam blam.

I must actually give remedy credit though that the Tennyson report that tons of other files reference as forbidden to share or talk about or must be dealt with exists in game and is fully readable and is hilarious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Disco Elysium was sort of done a disservice by the way a lot of people who enjoyed it talked about it back when it was new. So much of the buzz was talking about how funny and bizarre it was, sharing screen shots of funny jokes, usually Twitter-friendly political jokes, having a good hearty lmao about communism and fascism, things like that. "Oh wow I died trying to get my tie, 10/10 GOTY!!" It makes it look like an incredibly ironic meme game.

And yeah, all of that is in the game, and all of that is part of the appeal. I enjoy all that stuff a lot. But Disco Elysium is also a deeply sincere game with a ton of emotion and catharsis in it. That's what really makes it stick with me. If it was just the funny political joke game, I'd have enjoyed it well enough and moved on. But it's also just such an extremely affecting, personal game that I couldn't stop thinking about it for a good while after I finished it for the first time. It helps that it has a pretty creative and weird fantasy setting, too, always a good bonus for me.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

veni veni veni posted:

RHETORIC [Challenging: Failure] -
To be clear I have no desire to see combat in DE. Fans/ reviews/marketing make it look like there is all of this entertaining stat/build based reaction stuff going on and it's not actually a major part of the game. It's mostly a novelty that happens once in a blue moon and almost everything is conveyed in conversations that ultimately lead to the same place.

I'd probably take less issue with it if people talked about it like the point and click game it is, instead of it being some bold reinvention of the RPG, when I can go play something like DOS2 with gameplay systems that are way more engaging. It's a good story game, and that's fine, but so many people talk about it like it's some next level RPG and it's very much not.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Disco Elysium was the only game I've ever played that meaningfully spoke to addiction/suicidality and made me weep like a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nova69 posted:

It's one of those games where the main quest story isn't all that novel, but the individual character interactions and relationships and the way they tie into the worldbuilding (which I think is very good in Dos2) create a really immersive narrative

Yeah. I see it like a different (even better imo) version of The Witcher 3 where I didn't care much about about the main story, at least until the end. But most of the side stories you run into all over the place are super entertaining and I think that's the most important thing for a game that is like 100 hours long.

fridge corn posted:

I havent finished it but I'm a lot further along in it than disco elysium

Ok fair enough haha. It just struck me as a game you would have ducked out on immediately and had opinions on. I will accept the bad smell.