Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MarcusSA posted:

32 should be plenty. Hell most of the games aren’t that big of you were to install some.

Yeah.. but it’s only $20 more!

This kind of thing can paralyze my decision making, it’s super dumb. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Just pay the extra $20 and be done with it! You’ll have the extra space if you ever end up needing it and you’ll be using this Apple TV for a long time so you won’t even remember the extra $20 you spent on it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Very keen to get a new ATV but I both want to hold off on ordering til I can get one sooner after ordering (makes no sense, I know) and I am paralyzed between choosing 32 or 64 GB!

If you are a Costco member the 64GB is $10 off (or was a few weeks ago anyway) so that made the decision for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine changed to "Preparing to ship" so I imagine it'll be here this week. I just got 32 GB because I have never thought about it on my current ApplesTV.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yep, never had the need for extra storage on my existing "HD" or 4Ks. 32GB was a no-brainer for me to save 20 bucks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yep, never had the need for extra storage on my existing "HD" or 4Ks. 32GB was a no-brainer for me to save 20 bucks.

This but I was also looking at it as someone who paid significantly less for the 32 since they always “went on sale”.

So it ended up being like $40 less.

I guess if you are paying full price I’d just go with the extra.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat costco.ca just has the old ATVs, I would definitely order from there and get some cash back with my ~executive~ membership (oo la la)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

If you are a Costco member the 64GB is $10 off (or was a few weeks ago anyway) so that made the decision for me.
The 32GB was also $10 off, even higher savings by percentage!

Mostly excited cause I can move my old 4K one to my bedroom...which currently just has a Switch dock and an old Apple TV on a projector I got for my birthday . So media wise right now I basically just have YouTube and...AirPlay? Actually one of the huge pluses will be audio to my HomePod mini vs the projector speaker. Course I only have one, really debating another one for stereo, or just like, not all to one side sound.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

priznat posted:

drat costco.ca just has the old ATVs, I would definitely order from there and get some cash back with my ~executive~ membership (oo la la)

U.S. costco also only has the old ones now. I guess they sold their allotment of them thanks to the :10bux: off

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Would be cool if the Apple TV could save shows/movies/YouTube for offline use, but, nah

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Would be cool if the Apple TV could save shows/movies/YouTube for offline use, but, nah

The YouTube interface is pretty horrific IMO so I can only imagine if that were possible they’d find a way to hide it pretty well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I never could get YouTube connect to ever work seamlessly

But that’s all by design?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

The 32GB was also $10 off, even higher savings by percentage!

Damnit lol. Totally missed that.

I think I’m in the marker of $20 is cheap enough that I just paid for the space. I really, probably will never need it. So I basically gave Apple a free $20, but eh, end of the day whatever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I never could get YouTube connect to ever work seamlessly

But that’s all by design?

It has to be. YouTube loving sucks on ATV. I think the fact that videos don’t default to the lowest resolution available was a begrudging concession by Google.

The Disney+ app also kinda sucks on ATV. All the apps that don’t just use the default video player format whatever are sort of bad. Hulu also has a lot of issues, especially with HomePods.

Still light years ahead of other tv device things though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

It has to be. YouTube loving sucks on ATV. I think the fact that videos don’t default to the lowest resolution available was a begrudging concession by Google.

When it does this on my iPad and phone it drives me up a loving wall. Also YouTube recently changed their phone / iPad UI to make it even fuckin harder to change the resolution.

I can go from watching a 1080p (or whatever) to the next video playing in 480p.

Ridiculous.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inept posted:

U.S. costco also only has the old ones now. I guess they sold their allotment of them thanks to the :10bux: off

Yeah, Costco does this weird thing when something sells out they take it off the website completely. It'll be back when they restock.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, Costco does this weird thing when something sells out they take it off the website completely. It'll be back when they restock.

But not the PS5, that is always listed but out of stock whenever I check.

My 4 remotes are preparing to ship via the apple store.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

AppleTV arriving tomorrow just in time with my new tv! :) Anyone else?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Social Animal posted:

AppleTV arriving tomorrow just in time with my new tv! :) Anyone else?

Mine still says it’s preparing to ship. :f5:

I’m not really that worried about. But just ready for that sweet new remote.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine says it's arriving tomorrow, but the tracking is still at "shipper created label" so who knows.

Anyway, no one cares about shipping talk.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
My order says preparing to ship but I got an email for my order so guess it's coming tomorrow.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I haven't received an e-mail but it shows shipped in the App now.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
fwiw my remote-only order is still "Processing" but said to be arriving as early as Monday.

Endless Mike posted:

Anyway, no one cares about shipping talk.
:hmmyes:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to reports on the new remote. I assume it’s better than the old one because how could it not be but still

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looking forward to reports on the new remote. I assume it’s better than the old one because how could it not be but still
Someone got one yesterday and his post made the rounds on the usual Mac blogs. Of course it was his first one so had no point of comparison, but I think he mentioned the wheel not working, so that might depend on the apps? I didn't look into it further but I'm guessing he used apps that have their own timeline implementation like YouTube or something.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I am looking forward to the new remote since I’ve been using the phone app for months. Can’t change the volume unless I use my TV one or if not paired with my homepods but wireless sync with the HD version has been broken since the major point release. So, maybe with the 4K one I got that will actually work.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Something I just thought of was to check if the new ATV has Thread like the Homepod Mini, and it does!

https://www.gearbrain.com/new-apple-tv-4k-thread-2652671227.html

This is cool for low power homekit stuff. Made total sense it is in there I just hadn’t noticed it mentioned before.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Surprised no one has mentioned there is finally a new YouTube app. The skip forward and back seems better than the old terrible version, so far. The layout of the browse grid seems a little less dense so not sure about that. I think it’s better overall?

Oh the stupid floating logo on the grid is stupid. Always something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I used it yesterday and it was the same for me.

It’s probably some drat A/B poo poo they love doing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

priznat posted:

Something I just thought of was to check if the new ATV has Thread like the Homepod Mini, and it does!

https://www.gearbrain.com/new-apple-tv-4k-thread-2652671227.html

This is cool for low power homekit stuff. Made total sense it is in there I just hadn’t noticed it mentioned before.

ah, looks like no hue lights though

waiting for the day when I can replace my hue hub with an apple TV

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

ah, looks like no hue lights though

waiting for the day when I can replace my hue hub with an apple TV

I recently tried switching from the "iConnectHue" app using the HomeKit app for my Hue lights, and it doesn't get it quite right.

I'll use it to change scenes like from dim to colors or from normal to low and there's always one or two lights that don't change over. Like I'll turn it down low to watch a movie, and I'll have one purple light in my living room.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Grant DaNasty posted:

I recently tried switching from the "iConnectHue" app using the HomeKit app for my Hue lights, and it doesn't get it quite right.

I'll use it to change scenes like from dim to colors or from normal to low and there's always one or two lights that don't change over. Like I'll turn it down low to watch a movie, and I'll have one purple light in my living room.

ah ok, hmu with any and all your tips and tricks and ways to best utilize the hues

I got a handful of lights and light strips I've been playing with for a while. I use iconnecthue and the hue app. I really need to just sit down one day and work with the scenes/automation.

my Smart TV can control them but the integration is terrible. I use siri on my MBP sometimes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Been waiting for the new app ever since it showed up on my Firestick months back. It puts a bunch of unnecessary poo poo I’ll never use between Home and Subscriptions/Watch Later, so naturally I think it’s poo poo.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Ever since updating to TVOS 14.5 the audio on my Apple TV4k has been drifting out of sync. Rebooting the atv, restarting the receiver and tvdoes not actually fix it. Powering everything off, then disconnecting the HDMI cables and reconnecting and powering everything back on *does* fix it. For a while.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced the same.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The only problems I’ve had with lip sync were from the “match frame rate” setting which I had to turn off for a while. I think it’s something to do with the difference between 30 and 29.97 FPS on a lot of content since it would drift more the longer the program went. It was only in certain apps too, Amazon was the worst offender.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

qirex posted:

The only problems I’ve had with lip sync were from the “match frame rate” setting which I had to turn off for a while. I think it’s something to do with the difference between 30 and 29.97 FPS on a lot of content since it would drift more the longer the program went. It was only in certain apps too, Amazon was the worst offender.

I think this might be what I'm seeing with the Bravo app as well. I've tried everything else and its driving me up a wall.

I'm just going to turn both of the drat things off since I can't really notice a difference anyway.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

qirex posted:

Is that an ATV setting? (Checking) ah yes it is. It’s off on mine and has been since I hooked it up. If this keeps happening, I guess I’ll have to hop on apple support as it doesn’t happen with other inputs.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is that an ATV setting? (Checking) ah yes it is. It’s off on mine and has been since I hooked it up. If this keeps happening, I guess I’ll have to hop on apple support as it doesn’t happen with other inputs.

You should try turning it on, instead.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

astral posted:

You should try turning it on, instead.

Roger that. I will give that a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I used it yesterday and it was the same for me.

It’s probably some drat A/B poo poo they love doing.
Yeah I first saw something about it at least a few weeks ago but haven't gotten it on mine either...on the other hand my Switch got it a while ago :shrug: