Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

nvrgrls posted:

Am I allowed to use emojis in the 219

you can, but i and many others will think less of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Boxturret posted:

you can, but i and many others will think less of you
Thanks for the tip

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
jesus christ shut up

more than 25% of the posts on the last page are yours, and you have nothing interesting to say

nobody gives a poo poo about your bitcoin holdings or how hard you had to work to share a screenshot

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Gazpacho posted:

ok that guy's collateral was called but wouldn't he still have the money that he borrowed and hadn't invested yet?

yeah in any sane system wouldn’t the lender just call back the cash he hadn’t spent yet? maybe in crypto land no borrowers have any idea how anything works so lenders just use any price drop as an excuse to liquidate stuff? lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

nvrgrls posted:

I wanted to attach image but it was too big for the forums

maybe u should learn how 2 post

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Chris Knight posted:

maybe u should learn how 2 not post

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There is nothing funny about a man who can't post an image in YOSPOS!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hammerite posted:

Everyone in this thread is about to be super mad at how incredibly smart this thing I;m about to do, is.
nvrgrls and crypto (nws, audio on):
https://i.imgur.com/fE4t6om.mp4

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Dang Ok ok geez

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I was just trying to post. I’m out of practice

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

please practice elsewhere

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

lmao

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i knew how to post images before i even got an account because i lurked for like 4 years:smuggo:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Boxturret posted:

i knew how to post images before i even got an account because i lurked for like 4 years:smuggo:

Attaching images used to work a then it broke and I was hoping the new guy fixed it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

raminasi posted:

yeah in any sane system wouldn’t the lender just call back the cash he hadn’t spent yet? maybe in crypto land no borrowers have any idea how anything works so lenders just use any price drop as an excuse to liquidate stuff? lol

tbf he doesn't say he lost the collateral, he just says "it all of liqd", which could mean anything from "they took back the loan money" to "they took the loan money and my collateral and also they say i now owe them forty million more dollars somehow"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a funnier possibility is that he borrowed bitcoin using bitcoin as collateral because he was going to buy some other stupid coin, and then both the amount he borrowed and his collateral kept falling to the point where they had to take all of it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Help, I'm bad with computers, how do I delete Bitcoin?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Send it to me I'll delete it for you

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Paladinus posted:

Type deltree c:\ /y in DOS.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

gschmidl posted:

Type deltree c:\ /y in DOS.

Thank you, it worked!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

raminasi posted:

that isn't how lending generally works, the borrower is presumed to have plans for the money and owns it outright until a court says otherwise

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

tether was the thing they came up with after they lost a bunch of funds and gave all users a haircut right? it's so hard to keep track of who did which dumb thing but I thought it was odd with all the articles about tether that part isn't mentioned.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

hodl

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
where's roger ver in all this?

someone needs to release a hostage video to verify the funds are safe

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Gazpacho posted:

that isn't how lending generally works, the borrower is presumed to have plans for the money and owns it outright until a court says otherwise
the thing is that a margin loan in that context usually is something that is given as you're buying the security. my broker gives me 4x leverage on certain stocks (which I don't take), but my existing equity in that position is what anchors the trade if i were to exercise the margin. you can't "take a margin loan" and have cash sitting in an account, unless this is some shady bullshit that leaves the user exposed to being forcefully expropriated whenever the "broker" feels like it, which is probably the case.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

kw0134 posted:

the thing is that a margin loan in that context usually is something that is given as you're buying the security. my broker gives me 4x leverage on certain stocks (which I don't take), but my existing equity in that position is what anchors the trade if i were to exercise the margin. you can't "take a margin loan" and have cash sitting in an account, unless this is some shady bullshit that leaves the user exposed to being forcefully expropriated whenever the "broker" feels like it, which is probably the case.

That does sound like the type of scheme a bitcoin exchange would set up and Bitheads would use without understanding

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

nvrgrls posted:

I was just trying to post. I’m out of practice

here's something that might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPAZvxmLfcQ

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i don't understand how the tether scam is marketed even in principle

if tether is a shitcoin that promises to be worth roughly one dollar at all times then why the gently caress would i not just hold an actual real dollar that i can use to buy goods and services

if i want to drive up the BTC price by exchanging BTC for billions of my freshly minted Dollaires(TM) then who the gently caress wants to be on the other side of that transaction exactly? even for for the purposes of money laundering the extra steps don't make sense to me. and miners want to pay their electricity bills in dollars not Dollaires(TM).

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Sapozhnik posted:

if tether is a shitcoin that promises to be worth roughly one dollar at all times then why the gently caress would i not just hold an actual real dollar that i can use to buy goods and services

if i want to drive up the BTC price by exchanging BTC for billions of my freshly minted Dollaires(TM) then who the gently caress wants to be on the other side of that transaction exactly? even for for the purposes of money laundering the extra steps don't make sense to me. and miners want to pay their electricity bills in dollars not Dollaires(TM).

converting to and from dollars on exchanges is a huge, unreliable ordeal that is slow and frequently leaves your "dollars" tied up in an internal account on a single exchange, or worse, forces you to interact with a Real Bank (who then freezes your account). due to pesky regulations, you can't transfer those easily to another exchange that might have an exotic new shitcoin that you want to buy today, while it's still on the ground floor. enter tether. it's worth one dollar*, so you can park your money there while bitcoin does its wild rollercoaster thing. it's a cryptocurrency, so you can transfer it between exchanges without involving banks. and best of all, it provides a mechanism for quantitative easing when bitcoin is crashing, as long as nobody looks too hard at it**

*heh, sure
**fomo that someone else will be able to make money before the music stops is what motivates participation in this shared delusion and makes this a Good Thing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

cuz that's not a coin

Sapozhnik posted:

initially nobody wanted to buy them except, for mysterious reasons, people on the exchange that owned (or was like, owned by the same parent company / person?) tether. once that trustworthy exchange showed there was a market for tethers, all the other exchanges wanted in on the action.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Sapozhnik posted:

The people printing tether also own one of the bigger exchanges. So the people pumping the price are on both sides of the transaction.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i think that exchange also like, reported the bitcoin price in tether without making it very clear they were doing that, which meant they always showed a higher bitcoin price than everyone else, which made bitcoiners love them

in conclusion, a wholly trustworthy story of two completely unrelated companies and there is nothing at all more to say about it

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It's a mixture of wanting to believe what you're apparently told (because the normal financial system kinda sucks and you think you can finally break the shackles and become wealthy) and people who know a little more trying to game it, cash out and leave others holding the bag.

Classic financial scam stuff

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
the original pitch was also "we got hacked, so everyone's getting a 30% haircut across the board to cover the losses"

the idea of giving everyone a number of one dollar ious equal to 30% of their prior balance was the fallback position

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
looked it up, sorry. it was 36%

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sapozhnik posted:

because theyn you would not be part of the cult vanguard

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the way it was presented was great too, they were pretending that tether and bitfinex were two separate entities back then so they announced it like this kind philanthropic company was going to come in an give everyone that had the 36% "haircut" their money back

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Boxturret posted:

the way it was presented was great too, they were pretending that tether and bitfinex were two separate entities back then so they announced it like this kind philanthropic company was going to come in an give everyone that had the 36% "haircut" their money back
it can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

Besides what KnifeWrench mentioned, the exchanges get "money" for an IOU. That's a "free" loan! A lot of the shadier exchanges then offer deals on Tether or free Tether for taking leveraged positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

it can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong

somehow my brain didn't connect that tether was the haircut coins until just now, because that seemed too bafflingly stupid even for bitcoin

silly me