Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've watched some of Brooklyn 99 and it strikes me as a show that could have been about a fire department instead for how little it's about policing most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The United States posted:

If we've learned anything in the past few years is that a sizable amount of Americans think TV shows are real, a large enough amount to put dictators into power and kill hundreds of thousands of fellow Americans and not even think anything is wrong with that.

The question is, what is to be done about that?

Ban anyone older than 55 from owning or watching TV.

RBA Starblade posted:

I've watched some of Brooklyn 99 and it strikes me as a show that could have been about a fire department instead for how little it's about policing most of the time

Too many people have allowed simple heuristic slogans (ALL cops are bastards NO EXCEPTIONS) to replace their own judgement and sense.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

I guess that's a problem if you think that TV programs are real.

But imagine you're a dumb child who grows up watching tv shows where cops are always shown to be morally just figures who stand up for what's right and occasionally they have to do some dirty stuff but they're still actually good people when it comes down to it and now you're a dumb adult who now thinks that cops in real life are like the ones you see in Tv and you have the modern police state the us currently exists as.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

But imagine you're a dumb child who grows up watching tv shows where cops are always shown to be morally just figures who stand up for what's right and occasionally they have to do some dirty stuff but they're still actually good people when it comes down to it and now you're a dumb adult who now thinks that cops in real life are like the ones you see in Tv and you have the modern police state the us currently exists as.

That's a massively reductive view of what causes the problems related to the American criminal justice system and also I don't have to imagine being a dumb adult, pal!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yes i know my doctoral thesis I submitted to the TVIV is flawed but it's a starting point.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/Srirachachau/status/1395393999335088128?s=19

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve done that a few times. Just watch the season premiere and be like “nah I don’t want any more of this”. It’s how I stopped watching Modern Family and This Is Us - no big loss, I’m sure you’ll agree.

So, again, that seems like a more apathetic choice. Show's on break, watch the premier, "naw I didn't miss this" and stop.

But saying "This episode that shows that the nihilist rear end in a top hat main character is in fact yes, a nihilist rear end in a top hat character" or "some random cameo of an IRL rear end in a top hat for 2 minutes of screentime" as some sort of last straw breaking point is just strange. Neither one of those episodes has DNA that's unique from the first season. They don't change the tone or character trajectory in any fundamental way so it really just feels like self justification for dropping a show that you had wish you never picked up from the start.

There are really only two shows that I've dropped abruptly. The Walking Dead when I felt sick to my stomach after the Season 7 premier and Grimm when I didn't like the direction they were going for Juliette and Adalind and honestly I'm probably still going to round back at some point and finish them out. I didn't really even intend to drop TWD completely from the onset, I just wanted more time before the next episode and it turned into apathy.

It just feels like the 3rd season is when the brain worms start whispering "Publicly denounce the show as jumping the shark. Throw up your hands and say they crossed a point of no return and quality has dipped precipitously. You and I know that you never really liked it, but we must justify our decision!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It just feels like the 3rd season is when the brain worms start whispering "

I'm intrigued by your theory....

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I get the point about children being fed the wrong messages when they are young but that doesn't just apply to the morality of cop shows or even TV in a broader sense. I don't care who you are, you're indoctrinated as a child with some kind of wrong message. Everyone is. The point is that you grow up learn it's either wrong or a fantasy. I can easily enjoy cop shows because I know they're not real and I don't need them to be real. Sure it's great that some do reflect reality but I'm a grown person that enjoys entertainment as just that sometimes. I can enjoy Brooklyn Nine-Nine just as much as I can enjoy watching something like Friday The 13th. Doesn't mean I'm pro hockey masked killers at summer camps butchering teenagers.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

X-O posted:

I get the point about children being fed the wrong messages when they are young but that doesn't just apply to the morality of cop shows or even TV in a broader sense. I don't care who you are, you're indoctrinated as a child with some kind of wrong message. Everyone is. The point is that you grow up learn it's either wrong or a fantasy. I can easily enjoy cop shows because I know they're not real and I don't need them to be real. Sure it's great that some do reflect reality but I'm a grown person that enjoys entertainment as just that sometimes. I can enjoy Brooklyn Nine-Nine just as much as I can enjoy watching something like Friday The 13th. Doesn't mean I'm pro hockey masked killers at summer camps butchering teenagers.

Sounds like copaganda to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Slamhound posted:

Sounds like copaganda to me.

Your gimmick is stale.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

X-O posted:

Doesn't mean I'm pro hockey masked killers at summer camps butchering teenagers.

I am

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yeah that's a campaign I can get behind.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

X-O posted:

Your gimmick is stale.

Is it? Is it really?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I'm gonna copaganda... cop a ganda at them gams, whoa nelly!!

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

Open Source Idiom posted:

This Adventure Time episode is loving sick.
Haven't seen any of the new distant land episodes, gonna start them tomorrow, super hyped to see what they do

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Too many people have allowed simple heuristic slogans (ALL cops are bastards NO EXCEPTIONS) to replace their own judgement and sense.

ugh.

bull3964 posted:

But saying "This episode that shows that the nihilist rear end in a top hat main character is in fact yes, a nihilist rear end in a top hat character" or "some random cameo of an IRL rear end in a top hat for 2 minutes of screentime" as some sort of last straw breaking point is just strange. Neither one of those episodes has DNA that's unique from the first season. They don't change the tone or character trajectory in any fundamental way so it really just feels like self justification for dropping a show that you had wish you never picked up from the start.

Ok sorry, I think I’ve missed something here. What are we talking about specifically?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
A few of the Ted Lasso actors stay in character for a random interview from an oblivious reporter outside an FA Cup game

https://www.themarysue.com/ted-lasso-interview-in-character/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watching the latest No Activity now and I think the worst thing about the animation is the incredibly low FPS. I don’t know if it was an artistic or budgetary choice, but it looks extremely odd to me.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Looten Plunder posted:

A few of the Ted Lasso actors stay in character for a random interview from an oblivious reporter outside an FA Cup game

https://www.themarysue.com/ted-lasso-interview-in-character/

Lmfao

https://twitter.com/torilasso/status/1394360874702458883?s=19

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

X-O posted:

Every time someone makes a dumb analogy like this they completely misconstrue the propaganda function of something like Friday the 13th to be "promoting hockey masked killers at summer camps butchering teenagers" instead of reinforcing societal attitudes towards sexually active teenagers as highly irresponsible and deserving of punishment. I knew someone who had exactly that mode of thinking instilled into them from birth and as they grew older they grew increasingly incapable of hiding their attitudes towards anyone they considered "deviant", to the point of repeatedly insisting out loud that "they got what they deserved" when watching horror movies or horror themed tv shows like The X-Files.

The same goes for your favorite cop show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok sorry, I think I’ve missed something here. What are we talking about specifically?

Sorting Algorithms posted:

I feel like the most common Rick & Morty fan trajectory in my friend group is everyone tapping out after Elon Musk played himself in an episode but Vindicators was definitely one of the last straws in terms of establishing that the show was no longer for me.

That specifically. Which I know isn't you specifically, it's just you that replied to me.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 20, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

That specifically. Which I know isn't you specifically, it's just you that replied to me.

Ok yeah I had missed this. At least with the Vindicators example, it sounds like that poster was already considering dropping it and that was the last straw. I would never have dropped the show for the Musk appearance but it definitely made me think differently about Roiland.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

I guess that's a problem if you think that TV programs are real.

quote:

"Jack Bauer saved Los Angeles. ... He saved hundreds of thousands of lives," Judge Scalia said. Then, recalling Season 2, where the agent's rough interrogation tactics saved California from a terrorist nuke, the Supreme Court judge etched a line in the sand.
"Are you going to convict Jack Bauer?" Judge Scalia challenged his fellow judges. "Say that criminal law is against him? 'You have the right to a jury trial?' Is any jury going to convict Jack Bauer? I don't think so.

"So the question is really whether we believe in these absolutes. And ought we believe in these absolutes."

"I don't care about holding people. I really don't," Judge Scalia said.

Even if a real terrorist who suffered mistreatment is released because of complaints of abuse, Judge Scalia said, the interruption to the terrorist's plot would have ensured "in Los Angeles everyone is safe." During a break from the panel, Judge Scalia specifically mentioned the segment in Season 2 when Jack Bauer finally figures out how to break the die-hard terrorist intent on nuking L.A. The real genius, the judge said, is that this is primarily done with mental leverage. "There's a great scene where he told a guy that he was going to have his family killed," Judge Scalia said. "They had it on closed ci

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Is there any way to stream Supernatural with the original music or is it piracy/DVD only still?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The later, but I'm pretty sure only the first season is affected.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

Yeah that's a campaign I can get behind.

And yet, everyone hated Roy Burns.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, Hacks is really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Davros1 posted:

And yet, everyone hated Roy Burns.

Jason Voorhies just needs better press.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Escobarbarian posted:

Man, Hacks is really good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

GreenNight posted:

I like The Rookie.

So do I, it's a nice show.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I have a soft spot for Rescue Me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Simone Magus posted:

I have a soft spot for Rescue Me

One of the best shows ever that disappeared up it's own rear end by the final season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amazon's Wheel of Time has been renewed for a second season. (Still no idea when s1 will actual air though.)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

X-O posted:

I think there's definitely a place for people who want to enjoy the fantasy of a competent, thoughtful, spirit of the law police force that is trying to do good when the reality is that most people's interactions with cops when they are victims is "tough poo poo, we can't do anything" unless they are literally standing there about to watch a murder go down.

Again, some people go hard on the thin blue line and all, but those are the people watch something like Blue Bloods and enthusiastically boo at the TV when internal affairs shows up to investigate why black teens keep dying in solitary confinement.

Southland was a great show for the same reason B99 is. Its a character show that uses them being cops as just providing the circumstances for character development.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

Get back to us when hockey masked killers are a real thing that happens every day to real actual people I guess?

Watch Brooklyn 99, who cares? It's a funny show, but we can also recognize that it has problems. I know you understand that, of course, so maybe you're not the one that needs to hear that maybe we should think twice about constantly portraying an institution that routinely violates the rights of and murders innocent people, often based on race, as an absolute necessity to prevent total chaos that is not only above reproach, but is actually held back by civil rights and due process. But maybe we should talk about it so the people that do need to hear it think about it? Because indoctrination doesn't stop when people grow up, or we wouldn't have a lot of the problems we do.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems like you can't say "violent video games/movies don't cause violence" at the same time you say "cop shows are a critical part of the persistence of the American carceral state", so I assume people agree that violent video games lead to increased violence now. Either media affects behavior or it doesn't.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

muscles like this! posted:

Amazon's Wheel of Time has been renewed for a second season. (Still no idea when s1 will actual air though.)

It's going to be a very hard property to adapt, and I think there will be a lot of fan complaint about all the changes they will have to do. But I hope it will be good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Seems like you can't say "violent video games/movies don't cause violence" at the same time you say "cop shows are a critical part of the persistence of the American carceral state", so I assume people agree that violent video games lead to increased violence now. Either media affects behavior or it doesn't.

Come on. You have to be smarter than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Come on. You have to be smarter than this.

Oh, probably not.