Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Still have Todd Blackledge's incredulous, voice-cracked call of Reggie's endgame against UGA in '04 in my head.

How do you throw it away on 4th down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Todd’s Taste of the Town was the best segment ever and i miss it even though i don’t like him

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

vyst posted:

Todd’s Taste of the Town was the best segment ever and i miss it even though i don’t like him

Yeah he's whatever but that was a prime Gameday segment. I always want to look at and hear about tasty food related to my football.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

General Dog posted:

Friday night has kind of become the new Thursday night for college football, which sucks. I'd much rather have decent college games on Thursday night, but they were getting crushed by whatever garbage the NFL was airing in the same slot.

Thursday night used to be good for low-end P5 games, upsets, and random PAC-10/12 games. :sigh:

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
nfl thursday night games are such loving horse poo poo. i HATE IT!!!!!!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LLCoolJD posted:

Thursday night used to be good for low-end P5 games, upsets, and random PAC-10/12 games. :sigh:

I remember Thursday night used to be big for a few Big East marquee games

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Bo Nix is Nick Fitzgerald with a semi-famous dad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rude to Nick Fitzgerald and really stretching the definition of famous

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

curried lamb of God posted:

Bo Nix is Nick Fitzgerald with a semi-famous dad

And a fanbase even more like the Hitler youth

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

go jacks

don’t get k-state’d

R.D. Mangles posted:

Northwestern and Nebraska are playing in 2022 in Dublin. Lmao, sorry to Ireland.

oh gross

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Thursday nights are special and they need to leave Friday for the HS kids.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee opens our season with Bowling Green on a Thursday and I don't really like it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would like them to bring back decent Thursday games, but since I do not have a kid in high school and am not in high school myself I also like games on Fridays. Seems like a fake conflict to me, are people skipping their kids game to watch kansas or app state football? No one expects this weird deference to other high school sports

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

No it's not functionally causing any issues, and was probably inevitable, the old grump porch man in me just prefers that Friday Night Lights be something special for those kids since 90% of them will never get the spotlight after they finish their HS athletic careers. I think it takes some of the special part of it away, but that's just old man yells at cloud poo poo.

I would hate to be the kid in Champagne Illinois who would have been the local Friday night sports highlight that got cut due to needing to show The Illini sucking it up in a B1G game that went on a Friday, because the local media didn't send a crew out because B1G was a better draw.

It doesn't really matter I get it.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I know that growing up and all through high school, the local sports team was a big deal. There definitely is a regional difference in how folks approach their HS sports, often depending on the availability of college or pro sports in the area. The Rio Grande Valley is awful at football. It's a big deal when a team makes the regional championship, where they almost invariably get destroyed by a San Antonio team. BUT the stadiums every week are packed and people travel.

We met up with the family at a game at the Alamodome for one of said regional championships as an adult, one of the few years that both my HS and (somehow) our cross-town rivals made the game (in different divisions) as well. So it was a Harlingen vs San Antonio double-header and it felt like the entire town showed up. Stadium was packed and 70% of them were from Harlingen.

Honestly is the best fan environment short of a good college team.

But aside from liking to visit football stadiums, and the occasional game on a lark (a $5 place to hang out with another sportsfriend and catch up, with the always entertaining side-effect of being confused for college scouts and thereby getting invited into the good seats), there isn't much reason for a non-kid-afflicted adult to be at a HS sports game.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I've only ever seen local high school football on public access with a quick recap on local news channels 11 sports segment and that's with one of the main perennial state champ favorites in the area, so I don't get what the big deal is about a college game on a Friday night on ESPN :shrug:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only issue I really see with it is that people are more likely to be out on Friday nights. Especially if you already dedicate your Saturday to this dumb sport.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

No it's not functionally causing any issues, and was probably inevitable, the old grump porch man in me just prefers that Friday Night Lights be something special for those kids since 90% of them will never get the spotlight after they finish their HS athletic careers. I think it takes some of the special part of it away, but that's just old man yells at cloud poo poo.

I would hate to be the kid in Champagne Illinois who would have been the local Friday night sports highlight that got cut due to needing to show The Illini sucking it up in a B1G game that went on a Friday, because the local media didn't send a crew out because B1G was a better draw.

It doesn't really matter I get it.

I think if your argument is premised on people caring about Illinois football it might have some flaws, but no one seems to care if they play at the same time as the volleyball team or the cross country team or whatever which I'm sure happens all the time.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I do have a sort of sentimental feeling about Friday Night Lights and the religion of HS football in Texas, but I don't really see how having some third-tier CFB game on TV that night changes it. There can't be many people who were planning to go to their local HS game but decide not to because they could watch TV instead. They already could have stayed home and watched TV instead.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Wvu is all about playing cotton eyes Joe multiple times a game. Texas too liberal blue ivy league school to enjoy such an iconic song?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I just personally would rather have a decent game to watch on Thursday night than on Friday night. On Thursday night I could use the appetizer. By Friday night, it's almost Saturday, and I may even have something better to do.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess "The Yellow Rose of Texas" won't work as a replacement?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I guess "The Yellow Rose of Texas" won't work as a replacement?

Too much of a love song.

Not slow enough either. Need a down-tempo song for the alma mater.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

I think if your argument is premised on people caring about Illinois football it might have some flaws, but no one seems to care if they play at the same time as the volleyball team or the cross country team or whatever which I'm sure happens all the time.

I picked a random place. And yeah there is crossover but football is also objectively way more culturally relevant and important in America than Volleyball or the cross-country team. Make it small town TN where people showed up but if you had a Vols game in Neyland Friday night they might not. Or Texas or anywhere that gives af. The location is ultimately not what it's about.

It's a tradition thing, it has no actual bearing on the players or what income they'll get from locals showing up to Friday Night Lights. Which is why yeah, its fine, and my objection is really only rooted in old man liked things the way they were.

If CFB is on every night is Saturday even special anymore? I don't really mind the G5 teams digging for viewers, but the P5 don't need to be diluting their schedule playing on Friday nights. The NFL has really fought to keep their day special and I think that's more what I'm getting at. Friday was for HS, Saturday was for College, Sunday was for the pros. I liked that even if it is completely meaningless.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
aren't you a virginia tech fan?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
My favorite part about non-saturday games is when my team has one and wins it because then I get to spend from noon until midnight on Saturday watching football without a care in the world

My least favorite part about non-saturday games is when my team loses one and then I have to stew about it for extra days til the next one

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

aren't you a virginia tech fan?

Yeah thus my defense of Thursday Night CFB, but I've hated our Friday night games the last few years.

I like you a lot MV, but I feel like you're always paying attention to my posts and I'm not sure if its cause you hate my takes or you just know I'll reply back.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PostNouveau posted:

Too much of a love song.

Not slow enough either. Need a down-tempo song for the alma mater.

Texas Flood

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Yeah thus my defense of Thursday Night CFB, but I've hated our Friday night games the last few years.

I like you a lot MV, but I feel like you're always paying attention to my posts and I'm not sure if its cause you hate my takes or you just know I'll reply back.

I just like arguing about dumb sports stuff it is not personal

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

MourningView is just the FBI agent assigned to monitor only your internet activity and can shitpost on the job

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
MV was the FBI agent assigned to monitor us after the LF fiasco but like Whitey Bulger, we turned him

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Where I grew up, Wednesday was for middle school football, Thursday for ninth grade, Friday for high school, Saturday for college and Sunday for the pros. My brain will never let go of this hierarchy.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Declan MacManus posted:

you don’t have to be nick saban to be successful at texas. mack brown managed it and all due respect to mack brown but he’s not some top down micromanaging genius

it’s getting all the boosters and fundraisers in line and getting them to shut the gently caress up and not scare off the talent. you think georgia, alabama, and ole miss (lower ranked in recruiting pre kiffin but they’re only two below this year and aren’t the national loving brand ut is) aren’t leagues more racist than texas? but they have their ducks in a row and don’t scare off the talent

ut wants to be racist and win 11 games a season; they have to decide which one is more important

texas racist boosters arent scaring off the talent. they've pretty much never had a problem recruiting and never will because texas state pride basically guarantees half of the kids in the state grow up wanting to be a longhorn and the other half want to be cult members. like even at their nadir they still pull in top 15 level classes. like the racist boosters are abhorrent and need to be dealt with (though i dont really see any realistic option that UT will ever go with other than just waiting for the older ones to die) but it isnt the reason for the on-the-field failure

their problem, i submit, is that they are texas

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The racism of the Texas boosters isn't the problem, because as pointed above jesus look at the successful teams and the chuddiness of their donor base.

The problem is that no administration has ever been strong enough to tell them shut up and write checks. Saban gets all the credit for Bama, but it's just as much due to Mal Moore and Robert Witt publicly booting a few shitbirds and telling the rest of the check-writers to fall in line.

Robert Witt was a career UT system guy before becoming the President at Alabama. You think he didn't get a heaping handful of lessons of What Not To Do coming up?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The only thing I'm not enjoying about the Eyes of Texas controversy is that Joe Jamail isn't around to weigh in on it

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
What if they just did the actual railroad song and the old racists could sing whatever they wanted under their breath

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

you’re asking a proud longhorn to be quiet about their texas pride?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Listen bud, Texas DESERVED 9/11

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just replace it with Neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

you’re asking a proud longhorn to be quiet about their texas pride?

Look pal my grandfather paid for the ramp in the west parking garage and I demand you make those people sing the eyes of texas.