Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I always took "forgetting" what planet resisted meant that they didn't have like the exact coordinates to warp there instantaneously and have some motherboxes instantly own it for them. Finding it "the old way" means they have to not just go through space but fly through multiple universes worth of earths to get the right one. And maybe they were actively looking for it, maybe they weren't because Darkseid had lost so much face from getting owned so hard by earth (IIRC Snyder implies in one of those interviews that Darkseid himself is a little lower on the foodchain for a long time because of this humiliating loss), but either way it's a needle in a haystack until Superman's death sets off the boxes which sets off Steppenwolf/his communication with Lex/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

it happened in the spirit or psychic realm or something.

Ah, like in animes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Multiverse theory being very much canon in DC, I like the idea that Apokalips is the same one in every universe.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Earth has the only good couches in the universe so darkseid comes around every once in a while to crash on them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oddly ties in with Dragon Ball establishing Earth has the best cooking in the universe and is saved from destruction by the God of Destruction who happens to be a huge foodie on those grounds. (barely)

I still love the idea of a Dragon Ball/DC crossover where Lex Luthor and Bulma are noted as pretty clear counterparts, and Lex is utterly flabbergasted that she married her world's Zod equivalent.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Y'know, I'm not sure I'd want to see the sequel to Justice League where Superman turns evil and has to be defeated or Evil Superman averted. I feel like I already have the whole movie in my mind's eye and it doesn't really need to be made. Like, I already know what all the plot beats would be.

So I'm glad we go what we got and I'm not sure we need more.

I do want to see a Flash movie though.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Y'know, I'm not sure I'd want to see the sequel to Justice League where Superman turns evil and has to be defeated or Evil Superman averted. I feel like I already have the whole movie in my mind's eye and it doesn't really need to be made. Like, I already know what all the plot beats would be.

So I'm glad we go what we got and I'm not sure we need more.

I do want to see a Flash movie though.

I do think that was Snyder's intention with the epilogue. People in this thread have already pretty much guessed what the entire plot of the missing movies would be based on the Knightmare segments, even without Snyder's own commentary, so at least in some way Snyder has gotten his intended story out there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm not big on evil Superman stories either, honestly and I don't think the sequel should go in that direction. That stuff works as dramatic tension for the audience but it's not a route that they should take.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, I'm bored of evil Superman but what Snyder's version is going for seems to be something different, with Darkseid in the mix.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Snyder version would have been a longer version of the Superman TAS finale

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The possibility of Evil Superman has been an inherent part of the character from the beginning. Its why all those amusing golden age covers have superman killing Jimmy Olsen in creative ways or he got zapped by red kryptonite every other week. Its barely even a deconstruction since its the obvious way to build dramatic stakes since he is basically invulnerable and unstoppable so what if he started doing bad thing with it? (or at the very least, seemed like he was due do some plot contrivance).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Do a swerve and everybody in the League except Superman turns evil. Two hours of Superman mildly chuckling and not giving a poo poo as they try to kill him.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Do a swerve and everybody in the League except Superman turns evil. Two hours of Superman mildly chuckling and not giving a poo poo as they try to kill him.

Wouldn't work, evil Flash destroys everyone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

Pretty sure this has been done once or twice. I'm now remembering the Brave and the Bold episode where the entire League gets turned into vampires, and it's down to Blue Beetle and Booster Gold to save the day. (except for Superman, who is probably immune to vampirism for obvious reasons)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If the Snyderverse movies were somehow still happening (I know they're not) they should never have the evil Superman future actually happen in them. Just keep it as these potential worst possible outcome snippets that they avert throughout the flicks.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd enjoy it as like a "the future in flux" kind of thing where Batman keeps getting different visions of his own death. It's now even been set up by Joker saying "how many alternate timelines do you gently caress up"

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Evil Superman stories are extremely boring and I’m exhausted by them, but I guess they must be popular since there seems to be no shortage of an appetite for them.

I wish there was more of a push for modern interpretations of classic Good Superman poo poo. Like not just the sweet but uncontroversial “Superman talks a girl out of suicide” cat in a tree stuff, but like Superman unapologetically busting up monopolies and CEOs, throwing strike breakers and supremacists into the sky, and society and the power structure’s mixed reactions to a political Superman with a Stance.

of course that’s basically what Snyder was going for and everybody got extremely mad because it made them have opinions, so it’s back to The Suicide Squad Kills Dark Superman stories or whatever. Superman burning holes in baby’s heads. Injustice and Omni-Man and The Boys and a whole new generation that never read Watchmen going “woah, but what if God wasn’t good and also? he fucks.

the MCU even turned Captain America, the one character in their universe who wasn’t a complete neoliberal military industrial machine nightmare, into a human Predator drone who has to put down violent refugees for their own good (but he feels really bad about it, and he’ll make sure it happens away from any camera phones so it’s not like, bad optics)

you’re allowed to be either a God that’s above the system, in which case you’re already secretly evil or you’re about to become evil, or you’re a Hero who works with the system and maybe you feel conflicted about it but ultimately hey it’s the best one we’ve got

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Really the thing that makes Dr Manhattan the most effective superman deconstruction is that he's indifferent rather than evil.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Mandrel posted:

of course that’s basically what Snyder was going for and everybody got extremely mad because it made them have opinions, so it’s back to The Suicide Squad Kills Dark Superman stories or whatever. Superman burning holes in baby’s heads. Injustice and Omni-Man and The Boys and a whole new generation that never read Watchmen going “woah, but what if God wasn’t good and also? he fucks.

This reminds me of that animated DC movie Justice League Dark: Apokolips War, which was intended to wrap up their cinematic universe. Finally unshackled artistically, the creatives proceeded to allow their imagination fly in the depiction of the grisly destruction of the superheroes, with the remaining survivors being a curious amount of permanently disfigured superheroines. You know, real consequences.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The most Evil Superman already exists and he's called Darkseid. Seriously: he's the interesting version of that character. Everything else is just SuperBullies for the most part.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Darko posted:

Wouldn't work, evil Flash destroys everyone.

Evil Flash is kept busy by redeemed Good Flash from the future coming back to run interference against himself, obviously.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brightburn is really just non-brain damaged Goku.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Brightburn is really just non-brain damaged Goku.

Is Brightburn any good?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Brightburn any good?

i thought it was merely ok. there's some cool moments but the story is extremely straightforward and doesn't really surprise you with anything plot wise.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Brightburn any good?

It is the definition of "rote execution" (both literally and figuratively)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Brightburn any good?

It's a kind of okay horror movie about, as stated, Goku coming to earth and not hitting his head from falling off of a cliff.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

You have to watch Midnight Special for the true objectivist Pa Kent take.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The most Evil Superman already exists and he's called Darkseid. Seriously: he's the interesting version of that character. Everything else is just SuperBullies for the most part.

Everything about Snyder’s “Evil Superman” points to him being a Darth Vader figure - one where he’s terrifying and unforgiving, but his targets are all Space Cops and Wayne Enterprises Presents: The Avengers.

The Rebels are not necessarily the good guys, while he literally remains a slave to the Dark Side.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Omni-Man was also secretly non-brain damaged dad Goku all along.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/may/20/zack-snyder-i-dont-have-a-rightwing-political-agenda-people-see-what-they-want-to-see

quote:

lot of people see a rightwing political undercurrent in some of your films. Where do you stand politically and has that changed over the years? (Bonus hint: Don’t evade the question. Love you!)

I vote Democrat! I’m a true lover of individual rights. I’ve always been a super-strong advocate of women’s rights and a woman’s right to choose, and I’ve always been surrounded by powerful women. And, of course, I’m a huge advocate for the rights of all ethnicities and every walk of life. I would say I’m a pretty liberal guy. I want to make sure everyone’s heard and everyone feels included. I don’t have a rightwing political agenda. People see what they want to see. For me, that was not certainly the point.

Hooplehead1967
What’s your response to Martin Scorsese’s (and others’) criticism of superhero movies?

Oh, it’s fair. Martin Scorsese is a genius. If you’re really good at something, commenting on that world is completely within your rights. And it doesn’t diminish my respect for him. I’m certain he wasn’t talking about my movies [laughs]. He might’ve been, but I like to think he wasn’t. He meant the other

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

quote:

I’m a true lover of individual rights.

UH OH

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I mean, the whole opening of that response is him talking about all the 'rights' he likes, i think he's just making a joke about how being 'rightwing' means not caring about peoples' rights

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
"I'm a true lover of my sovereign rights as a freeman on the land"
-Zack Snyder

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Brightburn any good?

There's a really damning, and accurate review of it: "Brightburn is a great idea for a movie. Sadly, that's all it is"

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
After looking it up now; it's pretty hilarious that Brightburn was a product of nepotism, given that the two writers are both direct relatives to the producer James Gunn.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

His response is pretty consistent with what I assumed of his politics, which is that regardless of how people read his films, he's a pretty standard centrist liberal. I don't think there's much about, like, The Fountainhead that's inherently inconsistent with that worldview if that's what you want out of it. He's still a capitalist and an individualist, but not a literal fascist.

It's really the accusation that he's a misogynist that I find most galling at the moment. Say what you will about the male gaze or what's problematic about Sucker Punch, but of the two men who directed Justice League, one is very well-regarded by the female cast and crew and the other - once a darling of liberal feminism - has finally been outed as an abusive sex pest.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
The great thing about the right-wing question is that it was Sarah Polley asking him

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uatu The Lurker posted:

The great thing about the right-wing question is that it was Sarah Polley asking him

I thought that was pretty funny too, people swore for years Polley was disgusted by him but apparently he's a big fan of her work as a director.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

If the Snyderverse movies were somehow still happening (I know they're not) they should never have the evil Superman future actually happen in them. Just keep it as these potential worst possible outcome snippets that they avert throughout the flicks.

This was sort of the idea behind the comic "Hunter Killer." A character knew a terrible future was coming, and all his efforts to stop it just changd the nature and the date of what happened.

Then, at the end (the only TPB ended on a cliffhanger and killed my interest in buying comics so I don't mind spoiling it) it turned out the person warning them was guiding them towards a much worse future.

bushisms.txt posted:

You have to watch Midnight Special for the true objectivist Pa Kent take.

Man, Midnight Special was great.

Xealot posted:

His response is pretty consistent with what I assumed of his politics, which is that regardless of how people read his films, he's a pretty standard centrist liberal. I don't think there's much about, like, The Fountainhead that's inherently inconsistent with that worldview if that's what you want out of it. He's still a capitalist and an individualist, but not a literal fascist.

It's really the accusation that he's a misogynist that I find most galling at the moment. Say what you will about the male gaze or what's problematic about Sucker Punch, but of the two men who directed Justice League, one is very well-regarded by the female cast and crew and the other - once a darling of liberal feminism - has finally been outed as an abusive sex pest.

Sucker Punch was the thing that made me realise online film discourse is broken, when someone on twitter conceded that, just maybe, Sucker Punch was trying to say something, but that was the product of...well, it wasn't clear who or what, but it wasn't Snyder

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Mandrel posted:

Evil Superman stories are extremely boring and I’m exhausted by them, but I guess they must be popular since there seems to be no shortage of an appetite for them.

I wish there was more of a push for modern interpretations of classic Good Superman poo poo. Like not just the sweet but uncontroversial “Superman talks a girl out of suicide” cat in a tree stuff, but like Superman unapologetically busting up monopolies and CEOs, throwing strike breakers and supremacists into the sky, and society and the power structure’s mixed reactions to a political Superman with a Stance.

the MCU even turned Captain America, the one character in their universe who wasn’t a complete neoliberal military industrial machine nightmare, into a human Predator drone who has to put down violent refugees for their own good (but he feels really bad about it, and he’ll make sure it happens away from any camera phones so it’s not like, bad optics)

you’re allowed to be either a God that’s above the system, in which case you’re already secretly evil or you’re about to become evil, or you’re a Hero who works with the system and maybe you feel conflicted about it but ultimately hey it’s the best one we’ve got

armando iannucci superman movie about vicious but incompetent climbers and put-upon sad-sack lackeys in the metropolis city planning department scheming and plotting to get ahead and caught between their dual nemeses, city council and the Last Son of Krypton