Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What’s wrong with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Childhood Friend Won’t Lose follows the reverse three episode rule where if you like the first three episodes stop there and don’t watch any more because you have a complete mini-story and everything that follows gets worse as it goes on.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

What’s wrong with it?

Well okay to start with the show instantly betrays it’s premise. It doesn’t take much of the second episode for ‘the childhood friend won’t lose’ to become meaningless. It chooses a ‘the kids act like know-it-all assholes’ version of high school that is unbelievably grating. The main character is a child actor and everyone on the planet starts in love with them by default. I waited a bit after second ep to watch more so I guess I was mistaken but I thought the mc was planning to use his acting skills to take the part of his rival in the school play written by the girl he liked... this ended up being a heinously unanimated dance battle that gets replayed over and over again and everyone says is amazing. The show does not know what drama is, instead just has characters monologuing resolutions to things. The only jokes the show has are the mc ogling random women that are introduced. In fact most conversations in the first four or so eps I watched are just introductions that repeat how awesome the mc is over and over. The one standout joke I recall was the main character inexplicably turning into a cartoon monkey in order to escape a confrontation, a genuinely funny gag, but it chooses this gag to be the thing furthering the story? Never mind that the confrontation was already nonsensical because it already happened and ahhhhhhheksicjd whatever. Oh an important character develops amnesia and nobody really seems to care?

I don’t know.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/exh_official/status/1395304022119043073

All up for Hayate using Magical Slam Dunk powers

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

when kadokawa says they want to make 40 anime a year, this is what you're gonna get

edit: err this was re: childhood friend show

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If they're going to make 40 anime in a year they're going to rapidly run out of actually good properties to adapt and we're going to be trapped in isekai bottom of the barrel hell forever.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

If they're going to make 40 anime in a year they're going to rapidly run out of actually good properties to adapt and we're going to be trapped in isekai bottom of the barrel hell forever.

We're probably already there for Kadokawa

Gonna be animating straight web novels or fanfiction

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
This week's ZLS Revenge wasn't really plot heavy, and kind of felt like filler, but I thought it was pretty fun

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I don't understand how there's a business case for making that much anime

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

SatoshiMiwa posted:

We're probably already there for Kadokawa

Gonna be animating straight web novels or fanfiction

Can't Kadokawa just like... Make sequels for the properties that haven't had a sequel in forever but do have material to adapt?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Raenir Salazar posted:

Can't Kadokawa just like... Make sequels for the properties that haven't had a sequel in forever but do have material to adapt?

Heresy

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

They actually got pretty close to 40 several years prior to this. It's not a target number for tv anime. It's a number for movies, ONAs, OVAs, shorts, and regular shows put together.

I'm not saying there won't be a lot of bottom barrel hell, but it's not quite as big a jump as it sounds.

(Also, more Konosuba sounds likely, from the announcement, so that might be fun.)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

Well okay to start with the show instantly betrays it’s premise. It doesn’t take much of the second episode for ‘the childhood friend won’t lose’ to become meaningless. It chooses a ‘the kids act like know-it-all assholes’ version of high school that is unbelievably grating. The main character is a child actor and everyone on the planet starts in love with them by default. I waited a bit after second ep to watch more so I guess I was mistaken but I thought the mc was planning to use his acting skills to take the part of his rival in the school play written by the girl he liked... this ended up being a heinously unanimated dance battle that gets replayed over and over again and everyone says is amazing. The show does not know what drama is, instead just has characters monologuing resolutions to things. The only jokes the show has are the mc ogling random women that are introduced. In fact most conversations in the first four or so eps I watched are just introductions that repeat how awesome the mc is over and over. The one standout joke I recall was the main character inexplicably turning into a cartoon monkey in order to escape a confrontation, a genuinely funny gag, but it chooses this gag to be the thing furthering the story? Never mind that the confrontation was already nonsensical because it already happened and ahhhhhhheksicjd whatever. Oh an important character develops amnesia and nobody really seems to care?

I don’t know.

unfortunately, you are now selling this show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just kidding, i don't think i have the energy to pick up another show and they're almost never as excitingly stupid as posts about them sound. but i enjoy that post.

here is something else from a stupid show

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

dogsicle posted:

just kidding, i don't think i have the energy to pick up another show and they're almost never as excitingly stupid as posts about them sound. but i enjoy that post.

here is something else from a stupid show

I mean that's in more or less actual English, which is better than we usually get.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drat dude im watching higehiro 06 and it got really uncomfortable. that whole rape scene was awful and then the guy gives a half assed apology and they lighten the mood like that? why would she just chuckle and say he's weird?? what the gently caress??? is this really how they're going to handle this????

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Hobbies
Collecting sexual yet cute plush toys

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people keep telling me bathletes restart is a kuso show and then giving me plenty of reasons to watch it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Willo567 posted:

This week's ZLS Revenge wasn't really plot heavy, and kind of felt like filler, but I thought it was pretty fun

just post your thoughts in the show thread man, isnt that why you made it?

sad to hear theyre ignoring the plot considering the big cliffhanger last week's ep ended on!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

to be fair i did put it in the bad but watchable tier (ReSTART, not ZLS)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

i feel like the amount of isekai in a given season is generally overstated

like summer does have an absurd 9 different 'in another world' animes (two of them returning), but it also has 32 other shows... so.. idk. even in a season where it's dominant there are still dozens of other things to watch

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Strange Quark posted:

just post your thoughts in the show thread man, isnt that why you made it?

sad to hear theyre ignoring the plot considering the big cliffhanger last week's ep ended on!

Sorry, should seasonal shows that have their own thread be discussed there and not here?

Also, they're getting back to the plot stuff next episode

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
the show thread is where you'd look for discussion on a show. it's easy to miss stuff in the general season thread

also makes it easier to avoid spoilers if you dont want to see the discussion

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

they're gonna kill the isekai fad real hard real quick by completely oversaturating the market until even the isekai fans are sick of it

i just want to know what the next fad will be

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ninjewtsu posted:

looks like there's another "goes back 10 years in their own body" anime this summer so maybe that's the next big thing

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it can take a while, i feel like everyone associates the prior LN trend of 'magic school battle harem' with like 2010 but there were still a huge number of those in 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
before they completely scrape the bottom of the isekai barrel they should adapt this one

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

they're gonna kill the isekai fad real hard real quick by completely oversaturating the market until even the isekai fans are sick of it

There's always reverse-isekai manga to turn to next, with characters from another world coming here! :pseudo:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The isekais will continue until this world improves.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's always reverse-isekai manga to turn to next, with characters from another world coming here! :pseudo:

devil is a part timer already got their s2 announced man

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Appreciating alternate history works of literature eased me into liking most isekai that aren't carbon copies of MMOs. Disco Elysium for example works so well because of it's gigantic worldbuilding.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is creating anime versions of Beastmaster 2, Masters of the Universe, Jason Takes Manhattan, and Super Mario movie worth it to get an anime Last Action Hero?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

Is creating anime versions of Beastmaster 2, Masters of the Universe, Jason Takes Manhattan, and Super Mario movie worth it to get an anime Last Action Hero?
No, cause we got Re:Creators. If Isekais started having more Re:Creators but infinitely better-crafted I would truly praise them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
im going to admit grouchio i do not see where disco elysium comes into discussing isekai world building

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

chumbler posted:

The isekais will continue until this world improves.
hell we've barely scratched the surface of villainess isekai, let's get the loving ball rollin!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway lets all go back to the past and watch dunbine, the isekai mecha show where 15 eps in the main character gets magicked back to earth with his robot and the government of japan thinks he's an alien invader possessing a teenage biker's body and attempt to murder him after the person he was in a mecha duel with accidentally uses fantasy grenades to kill 300k people and demolish multiple districts of japan, and the main character immediately decides to go back to the fantasy world because now the real world is legitimately so hosed up that even his parents want him to die

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they just need to keep making only good isekai, like mushoku

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope i favor the villainess gets an anime that's a cool one that's pretty introspective about sexuality and homophobia i like it. i Favor it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Strange Quark posted:

devil is a part timer already got their s2 announced man

Really? When?

I was catching up on the manga and saw some people textually screaming about how the l just ended and it's all ruined and the worst and the worst decision was made etc

But I am extremely excited for an animated alas ramus arc regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Captain Invictus posted:

Really? When?

I was catching up on the manga and saw some people textually screaming about how the l just ended and it's all ruined and the worst and the worst decision was made etc

But I am extremely excited for an animated alas ramus arc regardless

They put out a trailer back in March but I don't think they've announced a release date.