Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

e: you know, forget it.

:snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
That fix certainly sounds effective, if extremely mysterious.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

Fixed case where AI logic was countering itself.

Sounds like somehow the AI's orders were contradictory somehow, probably in multiple places, even, thus making it go in circles.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

That... was way more replies than I expected!

Hellioning posted:

Claim more space.
But I dont wanna! I have claims on all the space I want and I am already pushing the "as many planets as I am willing to manage" limit.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Open more branch offices!
I'm not a megacorp :\

Serephina posted:

Reform your government for amusing shenanigans, flipping ethics backwards and forth for minor gain.
:effort: I like my government because it helps me keep my pops Authoritarian, I have a really good ruler, and my civics are working out great (Mining Guilds (I'm Lithoid) and Aristocratic Elite (all my planets are above 95% stability without Police State or Deep Space Black Sites) and Functional Architecture is just really useful).

Zane posted:

repress bad political factions. that takes a lot of influence.
Its bugged right now and doesnt cost any influence to suppress :eng99:. This does remind me that I could promote a faction to try to get more pops into it, though.

scaterry posted:

spam habitats until you slowly die from colony management
I just got the tech so I guess I'll get started on this...

PittTheElder posted:

Build Megastructures and Ecumenopoleis
I have my homeworld, Fen Habbanis, and the Rubricator world so I dont think I'm going to bother taking the Ascension Perk to be able to build ECUs. I'm still waiting on the tech draw to get Anti-Grav Engineering to be able to switch them over, though...

isndl posted:

If you're capped on influence, you don't have enough gateways. :colbert:
I just went out of my way to conquer a system to have a gateway in my borders to help nudge the tech to come up because I've been waiting on it. Are you saying I should already have that tech by 2280?!?

Cease to Hope posted:

a bunch of stuff
I could use an ascension perk to be able to get the tech options for megastructures but I was waiting because I dont think I have all the prereqs yet.
Yes my edicts are perfect for what I'm doing and I do not have spare capacity though I could work on having it as my population continues to grow.
My gov is Imperial because that helps with my faction problem, according to the wiki.
I have been ignoring the senate because my weight is fairly low but I'll have to see if I can do anything worthwhile.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You need to leave the beta to get the full and mysterious live 3.0.3 experience

LordMune posted:

I will remind you that we do not have infinite manpower nor infinite time for this hotfix. AI work will continue in future updates.
I may have come across a bit more dismissive with my "whatever that means" than I intended. I would really like to know what it means though. What burned me out of actual bug reporting was presenting a set of clear typos/logic errors and seeing then untouched for several major patches. While that was under a previous regime (a whole bunch got fixed in 3.0), it's still discouraging to hear what sounds like we'll have to wait for a major release cycle for any new issues like that to be fixed.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 20, 2021

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Splicer posted:

What burned me out of actual bug reporting was presenting a set of clear typos/logic errors and seeing then untouched for several major patches. While that was under a previous regime (a whole bunch got fixed in 3.0), it's still discouraging to hear what sounds like we'll have to wait for a major release cycle for any new issues like that to be fixed.
Yeah, me too. Some are over a year old now, and the AI still has a bunch of gaping holes that literally are one-line fixes (many were posted in the feedback threads!). It's looking like there isn't going to be another patch until the next DLC.

I think I might spend a day or two of work and contribute some clear and obvious script fixes to the unofficial patch mod. Possibly out of spite.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah, me too. Some are over a year old now, and the AI still has a bunch of gaping holes that literally are one-line fixes (many were posted in the feedback threads!). It's looking like there isn't going to be another patch until the next DLC.

I think I might spend a day or two of work and contribute some clear and obvious script fixes to the unofficial patch mod. Possibly out of spite.

man I remember like a year or two ago I tried to ask the unofficial patch mod dev to submit bug reports for his stuff so that stellaris didn't become a full-on bethesda situation where people always install some rando's unofficial fixes mod that probably has a bunch of outdated fixes of its own

he wasn't interested

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

But submitting bug reports is so rewarding!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I just declared an AI Empire as the crisis just for fun, but it seems it may have turned them into the crisis? Like within a month they were supernovaing this star. Or maybe they'd been working on that for ages and I correctly dropped the hammer on them by pure coincidence :v:

Also I really wish the Tempest was guaranteed or something. I like seeing either it or the Khan wreck poo poo, and it's all too common that I get neither.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Also I really wish the Tempest was guaranteed or something. I like seeing either it or the Khan wreck poo poo, and it's all too common that I get neither.
Yeah I kinda wish the Khan was guaranteed because the midgame needs more spice. Make sure it happens just have some things affect when it starts.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tarnop posted:

But submitting bug reports is so rewarding!

Says Sisyphus as the boulder rolls back down the hill.

PittTheElder posted:

So I just declared an AI Empire as the crisis just for fun, but it seems it may have turned them into the crisis? Like within a month they were supernovaing this star. Or maybe they'd been working on that for ages and I correctly dropped the hammer on them by pure coincidence :v:

The game I've been screenshotting from had me bordering the group of raiders that became the Khanate. Let me tell you, it's fun to watch from a distance, but when they're in your own back yard it's a pain in the rear end playing whackamole with their raiding fleets until you find the Chosen.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Warmachine posted:

The game I've been screenshotting from had me bordering the group of raiders that became the Khanate. Let me tell you, it's fun to watch from a distance, but when they're in your own back yard it's a pain in the rear end playing whackamole with their raiding fleets until you find the Chosen.

Why not just beeline the chosen

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why not just beeline the chosen

I did, as soon as I spotted them. The problem was their fleets went everywhere and without perfect vision, there's a lot of places to hide in a 1000 star galaxy. The game got map cancer from how many little Khanate colonies sprung up.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

LordMune posted:

I will remind you that we do not have infinite manpower nor infinite time for this hotfix. AI work will continue in future updates.

When I read the post which paraphrased 'apparently this will be the last patch for this update whatever that means,' I was aggravated briefly before I realized that whatever the actual statement meant it probably wasn't "we will absolutely not look at old Stellaris code until we're done developing new content for the next big update."

I feel weird about doing this, but I wanted to at least be able to say to you "Stellaris still has rough edges which bother me but I had resolved after major post-2.0 bug fixes ended that I was probably done with it forever, and I'm super glad I gave it a shot for 3.0 because y'all smoothed over most of what still really aggravated me and I've been having a lot of fun since the update release with a game I already had 1,000 hours in when it dropped," before you're forced to flee the thread for emotional health reasons again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LonsomeSon posted:

When I read the post which paraphrased 'apparently this will be the last patch for this update whatever that means,'
To leap unnecessarily to my own defense, "This will most likely be the last patch we release for 3.0" is the literal text from the diary, not a paraphrase, or even taken out of context. I was dumping out the highlights and I felt that was relevant. Ironically I could probably have phrased my own uncertainty better than "whatever that means".

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

To leap unnecessarily to my own defense, "This will most likely be the last patch we release for 3.0" is the literal text from the diary, not a paraphrase, or even taken out of context. I was dumping out the highlights and I felt that was relevant. Ironically I could probably have phrased my own uncertainty better than "whatever that means".

True that. I don't even know what your post is supposed to achieve besides lowering our impressions of you. No normal human being looks at that sentence and goes down the route of, I don't know, imagining the devs evily cackling to each other while high-fiving each other over never, ever doing a new patch ever again?

I've simply interpreted this as "instead we'll put any further fixes into 3.1, which is a minor update we will now start working on", because that makes at least sense

Edit:

In hindsight, my post probably came out a bit too harsh. I just found the idea of someone thinking this too funny and kind of jumped the gun.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 20, 2021

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

quote:

Fixed the Research Institute building not properly converting to Planetary Supercomputer when conquered by Gestalt empires, and vice versa.

Aw, my strats

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, I more took that to mean they've fixed what they wanted to fix and their time will be spent on the next patch(presumably 3.1), which won't be coming out for a while yet.
Nemesis was a pretty substantial expansion, so I imagine 3.1 will be accompanied by some minor content DLC, like another themed event or species pack, or possibly even nothing at all.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
I didn't mean to call anyone out, just wanted to clarify what was meant since the patch note post seemed unclear to some. This hotfix is indeed intended to be the last of the 3.0.X updates, but I'd encourage you to keep an open mind about what that implies until we can talk more about it. You won't be forgotten.

LonsomeSon posted:

I feel weird about doing this, but I wanted to at least be able to say to you "Stellaris still has rough edges which bother me but I had resolved after major post-2.0 bug fixes ended that I was probably done with it forever, and I'm super glad I gave it a shot for 3.0 because y'all smoothed over most of what still really aggravated me and I've been having a lot of fun since the update release with a game I already had 1,000 hours in when it dropped," before you're forced to flee the thread for emotional health reasons again.

I've been having an enormously lovely day for completely unrelated reasons, and I appreciate this. Thanks!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

quote:

Espionage operations no longer gain 1 Insight no matter how bad the roll, contrary to what is stated on the UI. They now need a score of at least 2 to gain an insight. If the die rolls 10 and the score is below 2, an insight will still be gained to prevent operations from freezing entirely.

So rolls below 2 don't grant insight, except they do?

:psyduck:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

So rolls below 2 don't grant insight, except they do?

:psyduck:

No, a roll of 10 now always gives insight no matter how hard it is, but in general you will not get "free" insight no matter what when you are doing extremely hard operations for some reason.

(This is all unless I'm mistaken.)

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Pondering coming back to Stelllaris after some time away.

Which of these are must-have, which are nice-to-have, and which should I not bother with:

1. Ancient Relics Story Pack
2. Lithoids Species Pack
3. Federations
4. Necroids Species Pack
5. Nemesis

I have no desire/plans to play Lithoids or Necroids but I suppose they add flavor to the galaxy?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

alcaras posted:

Which of these are must-have, which are nice-to-have, and which should I not bother with:

2. Lithoids Species Pack
3. Federations
4. Necroids Species Pack
5. Nemesis

I have no desire/plans to play Lithoids or Necroids but I suppose they add flavor to the galaxy?

it covers more than what you're asking but

Cease to Hope posted:

In roughly descending order of essential-ness:

Utopia is huge. Ascension perks are such a big part of the game. Hive Minds are fine but kind of disappointing, since there's so much of the game they just don't engage with, but they have so little worth mentioning that's special for them only. Megastructures are probably the best late-game addition of any DLC to date, and while the other DLCs have megastructures too, this has the really neat ones. Utopia is really the only Old Gods-like DLC that I'd recommend every Stellaris player has, even if Hives are no great shakes.

Synthetic Dawn has one of the most fun single playstyles - robot hive minds - but basically nothing else to recommend it. They have a very different growth curve, but unlike Hive Minds, they do get to play around with the regular rules for bio pops, too, depending on your particular strategy. If you want to play robot hives or the borg or the recurring comic book villains who collect people to put them in a zoo, get this DLC! But you'll never notice you don't have it if you don't play a robot civ.

Distant Stars and Ancient Relics are both more stuff for your science ships to find while exploring. Neither of them is mindblowing, both of them are fine additions. If you were only going to get one, I'd say Ancient Relics, because its signature feature (archaeology) has good variety throughout the game. On the other hand, DS's L-Cluster doesn't feel like it goes anywhere interesting, and makes figuring out the geography of the galaxy a pain.

Apocalypse is weird because, on one hand, most of the things it adds are stupid chaff, but it adds a few quality of life things that are game-changing. In particular, Colossuses (the death star from Star Wars) are dumb and badly designed and not at all entertaining after you blow up a planet once, but they let you get a total war casus belli for the endgame, so you can actually win games before you die of old age. I can't really recommend this DLC but realize you're playing the game differently from most people if you don't have it.

Federations is middling. It completely reworks Federations into a series of radioboxes and sliders that you can adjust over time to gain more control over your Federation. The AI is very passive so this is just making diplomatic play stronger, but the vanilla federations are very boring and bad, so I can't really fault that. It also adds the Galactic Senate, which I find to be a bunch of very boring event spam that goes nowhere.

Lithoids and Necroids species packs add a specific new playstyle for rock people and undead people, along with some portraits. The undead portraits can be used on any bio civ, while the rock portraits have to be lithoids. They're both fiddly variations on the basic rules, screwing around with the rules for pop growth/creation. Currently, that's the most important part of minmaxing Stellaris right now, so that can be a draw for either of these. (Lithoids was OP for a long while but has been reined in, while Necroids are still really powerful.) I don't think they really land for flavor. Necroids are just kind of blandly strong, and the only really interesting Lithoid variation is the kill-everyone version because it can eat planets. These are cheap, though, and worth at least a playthrough or two.

MegaCorps sucks. Corporate civs suck, Ecumenopolises are not interesting, the Caravaneers are endless event spam, the slave market is silly OP in a very boring way, crime corp civs are a huge pain to play against but also terrible to play. This is the bad DLC, give this one a skip.

Humanoids and Plantoids portraits are just art packs. If you want the portraits or the ships, buy the DLC. You can see what they look like in-game without buying it. There's nothing else to this.

I am still digging into Nemesis so I dunno. I assume it's not on sale, though, since it just came out.

i would not recommend lithoids, necroids, or synthetic dawn just to add flavor to the galaxy if you don't want to play those playstyles though. robot empires are just a big block of pops that immediately die off when you conquer them, and the differences of lithoids and necroids get less noticeable later in the game, especially when they're just a minority.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

alcaras posted:

2. Lithoids Species Pack
3. Federations
4. Necroids Species Pack
5. Nemesis

Ancient Relics is great, if you enjoy the story content it's a must have.

Federations is alright.

Nemesis is great (no idea how it works if you get nemesis and not federations... Can you become the custodian?)

The two species packs are good, for species packs. They both add new shipsets and both have pretty varied play styles but neither is likely to blow your mind. If they sound interesting get them, if not, pass.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LordMune posted:

I didn't mean to call anyone out, just wanted to clarify what was meant since the patch note post seemed unclear to some. This hotfix is indeed intended to be the last of the 3.0.X updates, but I'd encourage you to keep an open mind about what that implies until we can talk more about it. You won't be forgotten.

I've been having an enormously lovely day for completely unrelated reasons, and I appreciate this. Thanks!

FWIW I hope you and your team have some fun at PDXCON

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

True that. I don't even know what your post is supposed to achieve besides lowering our impressions of you. No normal human being looks at that sentence and goes down the route of, I don't know, imagining the devs evily cackling to each other while high-fiving each other over never, ever doing a new patch ever again?

I've simply interpreted this as "instead we'll put any further fixes into 3.1, which is a minor update we will now start working on", because that makes at least sense

Edit:

In hindsight, my post probably came out a bit too harsh. I just found the idea of someone thinking this too funny and kind of jumped the gun.
Yeah I don't know if I can't talk today or what but that's definitely not what I was going for

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

alcaras posted:

2. Lithoids Species Pack
3. Federations
4. Necroids Species Pack
5. Nemesis

Whatever you go with https://www.wingamestore.com/product/5560/Stellaris/ sale this week with more off than the paradox sale

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

alcaras posted:

2. Lithoids Species Pack
3. Federations
4. Necroids Species Pack
5. Nemesis

imo:

Ancient Relics and Federations are must-haves

Lithoids and and Necroids are nice-to-have (Necrophage is such a cool/fun start, Necroids is borderline must-have)

Nemesis is must-have if you want to become the crisis or the galactic custodian/emperor, nice-to-have otherwise (I do like the espionage system quite a lot)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

LordMune posted:

If I was god emperor of earth I would make sure you guys all got a raise and as many resources and as much time as you needed to fix every single bug and problem in stellaris before ever expecting any new marketable DLC.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Splicer posted:

Yeah I don't know if I can't talk today or what but that's definitely not what I was going for

tbh I don't understand libluini's post at all.

I think 3.03 is in a good spot, but I wouldn't mind a 3.1 patch light on features and heavy on bug fixes. I wish there was a way for paradox to make money off a big bug fix push that wasn't awful for the consumer.

feller fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 20, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

yikes! posted:

tbh I don't understand libluini's post at all.

I think 3.03 is in a good spot, but I wouldn't mind a 3.1 patch light on features and heavy on bug fixes. I wish there was a way for paradox to make money off a big bug fix push that wasn't awful for the consumer.

The president of the company I work for has been quoted saying, "Bug fixes don't sell software." This is probably indicative of the attitude of the money side of the software industry as a whole.

My response to this is "Broken software actively loses customers," but the guy hasn't said the trigger phrase in an earshot of me so I haven't been able to fall on my sword over this yet.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Warmachine posted:

The president of the company I work for has been quoted saying, "Bug fixes don't sell software." This is probably indicative of the attitude of the money side of the software industry as a whole.

My response to this is "Broken software actively loses customers," but the guy hasn't said the trigger phrase in an earshot of me so I haven't been able to fall on my sword over this yet.

It’s really about the franchise brand. We all know a Stellaris 2 announcement is coming, probably in the next few years. Polishing Stellaris sets up Stellaris 2 for launch day and pre-launch sales. Hopefully their management understands that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I would argue bug fixes maintains sales, so it is important.

Devs: Hey we fixed these bugs. And now we fixed those as well. Oh by the way, want to buy some dlc?
Me: :homebrew:

Devs: ... There are no issues. Oh by the way, want to buy some dlc?
Me: :effort:

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Did they patch out the ability to get the First Contact war achievement against spaceborne entities? I found the crystallines in this run and killed one of their groups, but it didn't grant it. Do I have to wipe out their home system? I never assigned an envoy to them.

Also, the game isn't following my restrictions on empires. I'm trying for the Opposites Attract federation but the three custom empires I locked to always spawn ... don't.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah, it's just that in my experience the money havers are short sighted and don't understand indirect income streams.

Anyway, the mod list in the OP is a bit thin--anyone have any recommendations on that front? I'm looking to make thumbing through the Workshop less tedious and I don't really have anything specific in mind.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

yikes! posted:

I think 3.03 is in a good spot, but I wouldn't mind a 3.1 patch light on features and heavy on bug fixes.

I think that's what LordMune was trying to imply would be happening, just without being able to explicitly state it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, it's just that in my experience the money havers are short sighted and don't understand indirect income streams.

Anyway, the mod list in the OP is a bit thin--anyone have any recommendations on that front? I'm looking to make thumbing through the Workshop less tedious and I don't really have anything specific in mind.

A bunch of mods got broken when 3.0 hit and I think things are still stabilizing

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Baronjutter posted:

If I was god emperor of earth I would make sure you guys all got a raise and as many resources and as much time as you needed to fix every single bug and problem in stellaris before ever expecting any new marketable DLC.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Warmachine posted:

I'd make it a bit shorter - "Bugs lose customers" is pretty much all you need to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Duodecimal posted:

Did they patch out the ability to get the First Contact war achievement against spaceborne entities? I found the crystallines in this run and killed one of their groups, but it didn't grant it. Do I have to wipe out their home system? I never assigned an envoy to them.

Also, the game isn't following my restrictions on empires. I'm trying for the Opposites Attract federation but the three custom empires I locked to always spawn ... don't.

check your starting spawn systems? if any of them overlap (even the normal ones), only at most one custom empire will spawn with that initializer