Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Zaphod42 posted:

This is indeed very glib. Do you have any idea how long it is?

Its like if someone decided to paint a mural that would wrap the earth and died after only covering 1/3rd of it

Its still an achievement far beyond what most would ever even attempt

That's real art

I don't agree with this. This implies the artist has an impossible or nearly impossible vision and that's why it didn't get completed. A great piece of literature (and I think you can include graphic novels) is better when it can be viewed as a whole with an arc, a beginning and an end. Visual art doesn't have the same structure.

Idk I just don't like manga that just stretch on forever and ever. It feels plodding and aimless to me and I am not convinced we would have ever seen an ending even with another 30 years of Berserk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anything is art if people say it is, but the word "art" in itself does not confer any special meaning.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My favorite art is not art that I appreciate ironically therefore turning it into art

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

PantsBandit posted:

I don't agree with this. This implies the artist has an impossible or nearly impossible vision and that's why it didn't get completed. A great piece of literature (and I think you can include graphic novels) is better when it can be viewed as a whole with an arc, a beginning and an end. Visual art doesn't have the same structure.

Idk I just don't like manga that just stretch on forever and ever. It feels plodding and aimless to me and I am not convinced we would have ever seen an ending even with another 30 years of Berserk.

Bingo. Being able to walk away from something and call it Complete requires courage. Leaving something incomplete is an effective yet highly-neurotic way to avoid criticism.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think needing it to have an ending is pointlessly restrictive. Long-form media that follow generations of characters and story that builds and builds and builds are really unique.

If you don't like them, that's fine, but that's true of all art. There is no art that everybody will like. But I think even if you don't want a story without a clear single arc, you should respect other people who do and the artist who did such a thing.

Especially works like this, Miura worked on other manga while pausing Berserk and returning to it time and again. Similar things have happened with JoJo's and One Piece and they're the 3 best manga ever made.

Sometimes a nice single arc story is great. Some of my favorite anime are those that only run for ~10 episodes instead of 10 seasons. But things like Berserk are epics, and are amazing.

mkvltra posted:

Bingo. Being able to walk away from something and call it Complete requires courage. Leaving something incomplete is an effective yet highly-neurotic way to avoid criticism.

...because nobody can criticize Berserk? :psyduck: this doesn't hold water.

He didn't die as an excuse. You're basically saying nobody should ever attempt a long-format story, and that's silly.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's nothing more boring in art than the discussion about what is and isn't art.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Like imagine saying Jojo's is bad because it isn't "done" lmao

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
the mere passing consideration of a work's worthiness as art immediately poisons your brain as to the work itself which should be appreciated without consternation as to the art status for the purest emotional response as intended by the creator

edit what I am saying is:

mutata posted:

There's nothing more boring in art than the discussion about what is and isn't art.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Leaving something unfinished can be a coo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I haven't read a ton of Jojo but it's my understanding that the arcs, while having some recurring characters, are more self contained. Whereas Berserk was always presented as a contiguous story with characters and plot lines that will just never get a satisfying resolution.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

I haven't read a ton of Jojo but it's my understanding that the arcs, while having some recurring characters, are more self contained. Whereas Berserk was always presented as a contiguous story with characters and plot lines that will just never get a satisfying resolution.

From what I've heard berserk did actually just get to a good stopping point where people are fine considering it done and resolved in a bittersweet way that matches with the rest of the series

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

art? more like

fart

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
were there any berserk video games

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Zaphod42 posted:

Guts is pretty much the only protagonist of Berserk though, right? The entire canon of Berserk revolves around him. Each arc of JoJo has a very clear beginning and end, with different JoJo's each time. The individual arcs of JoJo can stand on their own.

I'm definitely not saying either franchise is bad.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Fwiw I do think Berserk is valuable as a piece of art and I do understand the argument of valuing long-form art. I just also think writing an ending is an Important Part of writing a story and if you take 30 years to do it you definitely run the risk of never completing your work. And the work does suffer without an ending.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

art is anything I think is good. anything I think blows is not art

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

yeah, dark souls

yeah at least one on PS2 I think

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1oZGW6ZDog

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I have no clue what this was, but I wonder if it was something like this

https://twitter.com/FJXSU/status/1395441405376540678

It would be kinda stupid and hilarious if the "meme middle eastern music" is actually real jihad propaganda songs but nobody online knows the language so they think it's just some cliche music

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fArt

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
May Chat Thread 2.0: This is (f)art

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Yes and no. The villain of Jojo arc 1 isn't resolved until the end of arc 3/4, there's lots of crossover plots and characters. Araki has done a good job of making each story different in tone and style and setting, but definitely the new stories have heavy references and callbacks to the old ones, the plots build.

But I mean, is that itself enough of a reason to say one should exist and the other shouldn't? Maybe a reason someone might prefer one to the other, sure, but otherwise... :shrug:

mkvltra posted:

Guts is pretty much the only protagonist of Berserk though, right? The entire canon of Berserk revolves around him. Each arc of JoJo has a very clear beginning and end, with different JoJo's each time. The individual arcs of JoJo can stand on their own.

I'm definitely not saying either franchise is bad.

Guts is absolutely not the only protagonist of Berserk, not by a loving mile. Berserk is a story about chosen family. He is the core character and has been the entire run though. (Casca, Rickert, Farnese, Shirke, Isidro, Serpico, Puck, arguably even Silat and others)

And even as different as JoJo is, Jotaro is preeeeeeetty central. No, he's not the main character of Stone Ocean, but Jolyne is his daughter so.... yeah. They're different but its not quite as black and white as you're making it out to be.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 21, 2021

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

This is (not) art

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You: This is (f)art
Me (smart): Fart is art

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
After hearing it isolated I'm convinced the Bleach teleport sound is just farting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9JvSZfBI2I

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm Mr. Art, and I'll be the judge of what gets to use my name

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm Mr. Art, and I'll be the judge of what gets to use my name

Don't worry, I will retweet you, Mr. A

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm the Art Critic, and I judge it so you don't have to

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I find it crazy that success had like zero bearing on whether the Beserk guy long-term karoshi'ed himself or not

What kept him glued to the work table until he died, gently caress

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I find it crazy that success had like zero bearing on whether the Beserk guy long-term karoshi'ed himself or not

he started pacing himself more in the last several years, but the damage was already done

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

He died from a freak accident that could happen to anybody? Berserk took regular and notorious long breaks. Berserk was insanely meticulous, but I feel like other mangakas are way more overworked than him, when they try to keep things going and current and capture the popular zeitgeist. Berserk was so popular and so long running it didn't seem like he was under the same pressure. He wasn't fighting to be the top of Shonen Jump or whatever.

I guess I don't quite understand what you mean here.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

mutata posted:

Actually there is something more boring! It's kramering into an innocent navel gazy convo with the opinion "the discussion you're having is literally the worst discussion you can have, bro"

Like I dunno if you fully realize how obnoxious it can be when people do that

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Webster dictionary defines Art as

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Anyway I just took my first sip of Guiness Nitro Cold Brew Coffee and Holy gently caress it's delicious. Does what it says on the tin, it tastes like guiness with hints of really really good coffee.

The cans have that little widget that makes it so you can pour it into a glass to get that nice creamy head, it's just awesome

Only downside is that it's only 4% alcohol, which is why I bought another 4 pack of regular guiness draught so I can alternate

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

He died from a freak accident that could happen to anybody? Berserk took regular and notorious long breaks. Berserk was insanely meticulous, but I feel like other mangakas are way more overworked than him, when they try to keep things going and current and capture the popular zeitgeist. Berserk was so popular and so long running it didn't seem like he was under the same pressure. He wasn't fighting to be the top of Shonen Jump or whatever.

I guess I don't quite understand what you mean here.

Ah just heard people saying he "didn't go outside for years" and poo poo like that and kinda assumed it may have had an impact on his health and increased the likelihood of something like what killed him happening.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

Actually there is something more boring! It's kramering into an innocent navel gazy convo with the opinion "the discussion you're having is literally the worst discussion you can have, bro"

Like I dunno if you fully realize how obnoxious it can be when people do that

Oh for sure, man, whatever you say. Thanks for Kramering in with your useless critique on my completely innocuous comment in the general chat thread. Guess we're both boring obnoxious assholes.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

mutata posted:

Guess we're both boring obnoxious assholes.

I mean both of you are goons, so really didn't need to be said tbh.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Art Vandelay?!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Zil posted:

I mean both of you are goons, so really didn't need to be said tbh.

It's a Games Chat Thread tradition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i'm the most boring person in here you fascinating fucks