Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I’ll post more of the night actions and role selections and stuff tonight but in the meantime:

1. Please let me know how to make the game better. Did you like the roles? Too few too many? What do you want to change about them?

2. Do something useless: this was to mess with party host and dramatic bodyguard. Neither role was in the game. Also it was just to help counter a trend I’ve seen in games where confirming an action or lack of action at night can help determine setup. Not in my games (usually)!

3. Third Hand was the scummiest role in game and I think random did about the best thing he could have done as town stealing it and sitting on it quietly. I was hoping he might try to convince other people to submit third night action roles, maybe even tell EVERYONE to submit one each night and then he could just choose to target who he wanted, but keeping it in pocket was probably smartest.

4. Bullet proof vests? Not sure how I feel but thought it was better than a doc. Slower too. And CCK started with one equipped with his bodyguard mystery role.

5. No cops. No doctors. No trackers or watchers. If the mystery roles hadn’t been outed so early maybe people assume they are in there (other than cops) but this way it’s way less of a gotcha game. I think it’s more fun this way but you all should let me know.

As always, STEAL THIS GAME. Make it better. Invite me to play when you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Google Doc

quote:

NIGHT ACTIONS AND SUCH

Night Action Priority: Blockey, Watchey, Protecty, Shooty, Searchy
Roleblock → Jailor → Third Hand → Armorer Distribute → Bodyguard → Equip Actions →
Scum Kill → Memories Murder → Oracle Cop → Useless Actions

Night 1

dy. Roleblock-Empower ##Useless Dy SUCC
B-minus1 Jailor ##Jail Grand SUCC
,random Third Hand ##Third Hand Hum SUCC
Philip J. Fry Armorer ##equip vest SUCC (MSG)
CCKeane Mystery A ##protect merk SUCC
Mr. Steak Memories of Murder ##investigate Dy SUCC (MSG)
ObamaAkbar. Oracle ##preference Keane SUCC (MSG)

Sandwolf Mason E ##useless Mucche SUCC
Toalpaz VT ##useless Toalp SUCC
merk Secret Santa Gavel ##KILL MINUS SUCC
Grandicap Backup ##useless Sandwolf FAIL
SalTheBard VT NOTHING
Hal Insandenza Toxic Vig NOTHING
AT-LOW VT ##Useless At-Low SUCC
sandnavyguy Mason D NOTHING
Ilmucche Mason A ##useless Steak SUCC

Night 2

dy. Roleblock-Empower ##Empower SNG Succ
,random Third Hand NOTHING
Philip J. Fry Armorer ##Distribute Vest Merk Succ [msg]
CCKeane Mystery A ##Protect Steak Succ
Mr. Steak Memories of Murder ##Memories Fry Succ [msg]
ObamaAkbar. Oracle ##Pref SNG

Sandwolf Mason E ##Useless Keane
Toalpaz VT ##useless Toalp
merk Secret Santa Gavel NOTHING
Grandicap Backup ##Useless Hal
Somber VT NOTHING
Hal Insandenza Toxic Vig ##useless At-Low
AT-LOW VT ##useless At-Low
sandnavyguy Mason D ##Kill Toalp Succ
Ilmucche Mason A ##Useless Mucche

Night 3

dy. Roleblock-Empower ##empower SNG Succ
,random Third Hand NOTHING
Philip J. Fry Armorer ##distribute Random Succ [msg]
Mr. Steak Memories of Murder ##investigate Merk Succ [msg]

Sandwolf Mason E #useless Merk
merk Secret Santa Gavel ##equip vest Succ [msg]
Somber VT ##useless Somber
Hal Insandenza Toxic Vig ##useless Steak
AT-LOW VT NOTHING
sandnavyguy Mason D ##Kill Somber succ
Ilmucche Mason A ##useless Mucche

Grandi Ghost Ghost ##ghostuseless SNG [sand trifecta]

Night 4

dy. Roleblock-Empower ##empower Steak Succ
,random Third Hand ##infinity Random Succ
##equip vest Succ [msg]
Philip J. Fry Armorer ##distribute Dy Succ [msg]
Mr. Steak Memories of Murder KILL FRY Succ [dy vest]

Sandwolf Mason E ##useless SNG Succ
Hal Insandenza Toxic Vig ##useless Hal Succ
AT-LOW VT NOTHING
sandnavyguy Mason D NOTHING
Ilmucche Mason A ##Useless hum FAIL

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

quote:

Draft Order & PICKS

01. ,random 6,2 Third Hand XXXXXXXX
02. Mr. Steak 7,1 Memories of Murder Backup
03. SolusLunes 9,1 Firing Squad Mystery A
04. Philip J. Fry 3,5 Armorer Memories of Murder
05. B-minus1 3,8 Mystery B Mason B
06. Sandwolf 1,1 (1) Mason E Dramatic Bodyguard
07. CCKeane 1,1 (2) Mystery A Mystery B
08. Toalpaz 1,1 (3) Mystery B Firing Squad
09. merk 1,1 (4) Memories of Murder Secret Santa Gavel
10. Grandicap 1,1 (5) Backup Charging Vig
11. SalTheBard 4,8 Mason E Mystery C
12. ObamaAkbar. 4,1 (1) Mystery C Mason A
13. dy. 4,1 (2) Backup Roleblock-Empower
14. Hal Insandenza 4,2 (1) Toxic Vig Mystery Role C
15. AT-LOW 4,2 (2) Backup Mason A
16. sandnavyguy 4,4 (1) Armorer Mason D
17. Ilmucche 4,4 (2) Mason A Mystery A

Results
01. ,random 6,2 Third Hand XXXXXXXX
02. Mr. Steak 7,1 Memories of Murder Backup
03. SolusLunes 9,1 Firing Squad Mystery A
04. Philip J. Fry 3,5 Armorer Memories of Murder
05. B-minus1 3,8 Mystery B Mason B
06. Sandwolf 1,1 (1) Mason E Dramatic Bodyguard
07. CCKeane 1,1 (2) Mystery A Mystery B
08. Toalpaz 1,1 (3) VT Mystery B Firing Squad
09. merk 1,1 (4) Memories of Murder Secret Santa Gavel
10. Grandicap 1,1 (5) Backup Charging Vig
11. SalTheBard 4,8 VT Mason E Mystery C
12. ObamaAkbar. 4,1 (1) Mystery C Mason A
13. dy. 4,1 (2) Backup Roleblock-Empower
14. Hal Insandenza 4,2 (1) Toxic Vig Mystery Role C
15. AT-LOW 4,2 (2) VT Backup Mason A
16. sandnavyguy 4,4 (1) Armorer Mason D
17. Ilmucche 4,4 (2) Mason A Mystery A

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

quote:

FULL ROLE TEXT:
Role: Secret Santa Gavel:
I didn’t want to have to write something out for this, so you get a bullet point version.

1. You have the power to call two different types of Lurker Tribunals: the “51% Tribunal” and the “67% Tribunal”. To call a tribunal, you need to select an “eligible lurker”. An “eligible lurker” is based on postcount: on D1, the lowest living player by postcount is eligible, D2 the lowest 2 living players, etc.

2. You activate either tribunal by stating “##Call XX% Tribunal on PLAYER” in thread. You also need to post some sort of evidence showing where they fell in postcount when you called the tribunal (this isn’t a gotcha I just don’t want to have to constantly watch poscounts).

3. Once a tribunal is successfully activated, a mod will send a message to the thread confirming that all players are now allowed to use the ##Activate Lurker Gavel command in thread. If you receive enough players using the ##Activate command in thread to reach either (i) 51% or (ii) 67% of the total living player count at the time you used your ##Call command, your gavel is live. For instance, if 10 people were alive when you used the ##call command, but two people somehow die that day, you still need 6 or 7 ##activates, respectively, to activate your gavel.

4. To use your gavel, you must (i) quote the correct number of activate commands in a post and (ii) in that same post use the ##Gavel PLAYER command.

5. Your ##Gavel is a vig kill. It is unblockable, unprotectable, and superpowered. Basically as long as you can activate the gavel and show proof that you reached your ##Activate threshold that player is dead and nothing can save them.

6. RESTRICTIONS: Court is closed on D1. On D2 you can only use the 67% Tribunal. You can NEVER use the 50% Tribunal if you have already used the 67% Tribunal. If you call a Tribunal it is used, whether you get to gavel or not.

7. I don’t know there is probably more ask questions.

Role: Memories of Murder
You are Detective Park from the movie Memories of Murder. You can tell if a person is guilty just by looking in their eyes. Each night you may target a person and determine if that person is guilty. A player is guilty if they have directly killed, vigged, or hammered another player in the game. You may roleblock yourself. You may roleblock the same target multiple nights in a row. Your target will not be told about your action, whether it was successful or not, unless they have a role that would provide such information.

Role: Roleblocker / Empowerer
You are a roleblocker and an empower. Each night, you may do either of the following as an action:

Roleblock: you may target one person to roleblock and, if successful, that person will not be able to perform an action that night and, if you want, to stop them from performing an action the next day. You will stop the first action they perform that would be successful (this is vague on purpose), but you will not stop a second successful action if that person was able to perform more than one action during the specified time period. You may roleblock yourself. You may roleblock the same target multiple nights in a row. Your target will not be told about your action, whether it was successful or not, unless they have a role that would provide such information. Your role has ZERO effect on someone voting or someone being executed (assume those are magical or something). Make sure to indicate if you also want to block your target the following day when sending your action.

Empower: you may target one person to empower and, if successful, that person will defeat one obstacle that would otherwise interfere with your target’s action (such as being roleblocked, or their target being protected, etc.) that night and, if you want, the following day. If there are multiple levels of action impeding your target, your power will affect the action with the highest priority. You may empower yourself. You may empower the same person multiple nights in a row. Your target will not be told about your action, whether it was successful or not, unless they have a role that would provide such information. Your role has ZERO effect on someone voting or someone being executed (assume those are magical or something). Make sure to indicate if you also want to block your target the following day when sending your action.

Role: Dramatic Bodyguard
You are a dramatic bodyguard. Each night, you may target one person to protect for that night and, if you want, to protect them the entire next day (this does NOT include the execution at the end of the day). If someone successfully kills your target, you will die in their place. If multiple kills would successfully kill your target, you will die in place of the first successful kill. Your target will not be told about your action, even after you die, EXCEPT because you are dramatic, the person who was supposed to die will see everyone who successfully targeted YOU and that person, including who it was that tried to kill that person, during that night or the next day (unless there is something that would prevent someone from being seen, that is). Your role has ZERO effect on someone voting or someone being executed (assume those are magical or something). Make sure to indicate if you also want to protect your target the following day when sending your action.

Role: Armorer
You have an infinite supply of bullet proof vests. Each night, you may distribute one bulletproof vest . The official bullet proof vest description is in the OP [to come]. You may distribute a vest to yourself. You may send a vest to yourself. You may send a vest to the same target multiple nights in a row. Your target will not be told about your action, whether it was successful or not, unless they have a role that would provide such information (they will receive a vest if you are successful, but will not know how or why they received it). Also, since you have an infinite supply of vests, you can always choose to put one on at night as an action if you aren’t already wearing one.

Role: Third Hand
You are the Third Hand. Each night, you may target one person (##target Voodoofly) and, if successful, your target may perform a “Third Hand Action” that same night. Your target MUST send in a third hand action in their confessional that night to be able to perform the third hand action. The third hand action will allow them to perform any action they have that night (except the scum kill - see the OP there can only ever be one scum kill per scum team each night). For instance, if your target was a normal cop (which expressly doesn’t exist this game), they could (i) investigate two different people, (ii) investigate the same person twice to defeat a roleblock, (iii) investigate one person and equip a bullet proof vest, (iv) investigate someone and perform the scum kill, (v) etc.

You should find a way to convince your target to send their third night action as such (with the cop as an example): (i) ##investigate Voodoofly; ##Third Hand Action equip bulletproof vest, or (ii) ##investigate Voodoofly, ##Third Hand Action investigate Chili. This isn’t a gotcha, but it needs to be clear that your target is performing a regular action and a third hand action as two separate actions. However you decide to share this information is up to you, as well as how you try and convince the correct person to submit a third hand action during the night. As a final note: there is zero penalty if someone submits a third hand action and you don’t target them that night. Ask questions if you have them, we will explain as much as we can without breaking the game.

Role: Toxic Vig
The OP says all you need to know, just ask if you have questions.

Role: Charging Vig
You are a vigilante. You shoot, only during the day (except as noted below), by typing ##kill XXXX in the thread (read the op about how your target gets to keep talking until he is flipped by a mod). Your shot is an “action” for what it is worth, and is governed by how many “charges” you have. Every time you shoot, you lose one charge (if you kill yourself with zero charges we will still allow it). You start with zero charges. As a night action, you can target yourself with a ##charge action and, if successful, your gun will receive an extra charge. You will always be told if you gain or lose a charge, although you will not be told how or why that happened. Your gun charge list:

0 charges: you may only target yourself with a ##kill action.
1 charge: your ##kill action has a 50% chance of firing a blank shot.
2 charges: your ##kill action functions exactly as the toxic vig in the OP
3 charges: a regular dayvig ##kill action.
4 charges: you may ##kill at day or during the night. Your ##kill is always in thread in the day, and your ##kill is always sent privately during night.
5+ charges: same as 4 charges, but with more style!

Role: Firing Squad Vig

Role: Party Host

Role: Backup Extraordinaire
The OP says most of what you need to know, just ask if you have questions. You can submit your list of backups until the end of Day 1. If someone flips before you have submitted your list, that role becomes ineligible.

Role: Grandi-SiV Memorial Mason

Role: Mystery Role A
You are a bodyguard, and you start with an equipped bullet proof vest. Each night, you may target one person to protect for that night and, if you want, to protect them the entire next day (this does NOT include the execution at the end of the day). If someone successfully kills your target, you will die in their place. If multiple kills would successfully kill your target, you will die in place of the first successful kill. Your target will not be told about your action, even after you die. Your role has ZERO effect on someone voting or someone being executed (assume those are magical or something). Make sure to indicate if you also want to protect your target the following day when sending your action.

Role: Mystery Role B
You are a jailor. Each night, you may target one person to jail, and if successful, that person will be untargetable by others, and will be unable to perform their own night actions, for that night. You may not jail yourself. You may jail the same person multiple nights in a row. Your target will not be told about your action, whether it was successful or not, unless they have a role that would provide such information.

Role: Mystery Role C
You are an Oracle. Each night, you may do either of the following as an action:

Determine Existence: You may target yourself and pick a potential role. If you successfully target yourself, you will receive a “yes” or “no” message the next morning based on whether that role was drafted by a player in the game. You may use this action multiple nights in a row. You will not be be told if your action was successful or not. There may or may not be other reasons you receive a result message other than as a result of your successful action.

Determine Preference: You may target a player and, if successful, you will be told what roles that player submitted as primary and secondary choices. You will NOT be told if they received those roles. You may target yourself. You may target the same player multiple nights in a row. Your target will not be told about your action, whether it was successful or not, unless they have a role that would provide such information. There may or may not be other reasons you receive a result message other than as a result of your successful action.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Great game to observe, and also one that I would have hated playing if I rolled town.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

meh

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

town took that L lmfao

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I have no interest in playing with steak ever again tbh

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwolf posted:

I have no interest in playing with steak ever again tbh

what the hell? why?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ngl that genuinely makes me feel like poo poo

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Steak posted:

what the hell? why?

Because you leverage a normal human understanding against a normal WIFOM understanding of the game and basically make it so your alignment is completely dissociative from your play. We should have lunched you D1 but because you’ve poisoned your meta here enough, no one can properly read you.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im sorry. i guess i wont sign up for any games you sign up for. please don't sign up for too many, i'd like to keep playing mafia

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Thanks for the game and the interesting role voodoo

I think scum did a great job, town was always going to have a tough time and I wasn’t helping at the end by just wanting myself or town dead so scum could hurry up and win before I couldn’t meet my win condition

Sandwolf posted:

Because you leverage a normal human understanding against a normal WIFOM understanding of the game and basically make it so your alignment is completely dissociative from your play. We should have lunched you D1 but because you’ve poisoned your meta here enough, no one can properly read you.

Seems like that’s kind of the goal of even having a meta though? I get that you are frustrated by it, but I think in this case part of the reason it was so hard to get steak killed was because he and his scum mates were dominating the conversation less than anything to do with his meta. I think most people thought steak was scummy, but the vote never quite coalesced

ObamaAkbar.
Apr 7, 2009

DesiredPopulationMin = 3
DesiredPopulationMax = 19
AverageDeathsPerDay = 6
WeaponsUsed = 13

Good game scum, what a frustrating game that was to watch and play. Thanks for running voodoo!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hal Insandenza posted:

Seems like that’s kind of the goal of even having a meta though? I get that you are frustrated by it, but I think in this case part of the reason it was so hard to get steak killed was because he and his scum mates were dominating the conversation less than anything to do with his meta. I think most people thought steak was scummy, but the vote never quite coalesced

thank you for this

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
And the case on steak was there, especially after I flipped scum. Town just didn’t do it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whew, what a finish and congrats to scum & Hal! I'll get my game up this afternoon.

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Sand you've got some mighty big sour grapes over there.

Steak was scum, it was his job to make things difficult for us and he did a phenomenal job of it. It's on us that we didn't lunch him and my respect for him grew a bunch from this game honestly.

.random
May 7, 2007

My take, though no one asked for it: I think the hard part of this particular game is what I said earlier in thread. The game was full of scummy town and scummy scum. It made it very hard to parse if someone was being anti-town because that was their wincon or if they were being anti-town just because :effort: or :imunfunny:.

Smarter players would probably have been able to thread that needle better than I did... but either way, I do truly hope this doesn’t impact anyone’s future fun. :glomp:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It was a wild game. Sorry I was flaky with reads. I always am :/

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Sandwolf that was a total failure on town and your part to execute steak. Sorry you had a bad read this game!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Toalpaz posted:

Sandwolf that was a total failure on town and your part to execute steak. Sorry you had a bad read this game!

no doubt I played awful, agreed

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

no one can properly read you.
I know I have the benefit of being an observer, but I feel this isn't correct. I think I can probably read Steak better than some other players like binus or Toal.

But. I pretty much agree that I would have driven myself mad trying and failing to get town to actually vote Steak after nailing him D1, and I'd be salty and going back to being an observer pretty quickly from that frustration.

But that's why I tend towards being an observer anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Sandwolf posted:

it's fuckin' sweet, we've had pet pictures already and now we're all just shooting the poo poo

we only briefly have talked about the game so far, mostly just a great chatroom

I waited until endgame to post this but this characterization of the SiV-Grandi Memorial Chat Room made me so, so, so happy. :lovebird: