Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Cherry was insanely bad. Holy poo poo.

But Tom Holland poo poo and farted blood!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

if he really believed that bullshit he wouldn’t have been so hurt when Scorsese roasted his rear end.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

"Devoid of external influence". Both an utter lie and a weird as gently caress thing to brag about.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I still find it hilarious that "This film is presented in 4:3 to preserve the director's creative vision" is what Film Twitter had a meltdown about, and not that cornball screed from the Russos.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

mycophobia posted:

my movie chat is that i saw the new mortal kombat movie and it sucked. i turned it off an hour in when they were still training in a cave boringly and the tournament hadn't evne started. the 1995 moivie was perfectly paced and had cool fighting and they shouldve just remade it but added gore

I feel like I tricked myself into liking Mortal Kombat, and then the more I thought about the more I realized how much I didn't like it in hindsight. A couple good moments, but it's just a super lame movie.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I don’t know if the Russos are deep into huffing their own farts or deeply insecure about how - in light of revelations about Marvels FX pipeline and how that relates to IW/Endgame - their claim to having actually directed the films they’re most famous for is kinda materially shaky, but either option is loving hilarious.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like the new mortal kombat movie more than the old one because it had blood in it.

I really don’t like the 95 movie at all. I’ve tried watching it many times. Like all PWSA films it’s just not fun to me.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, I don't think I can be convinced on those Resident Evil movies. They're just insanely boring.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I could post the RLM clip but really when I first saw that scene I was just beyond shocked at how lousy it was. it remind me of a cheap fan film.

I don’t get Anderson. He gets to do these cool movies and just ends up making the dullest things with them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

I like the new mortal kombat movie more than the old one because it had blood in it.

I really don’t like the 95 movie at all. I’ve tried watching it many times. Like all PWSA films it’s just not fun to me.

I don't think anyone likes that movie for reasons other than nostalgia. It's trash.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I legit like MK95 and Event Horizon but the rest of his filmography is a rank turd.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

I don't think anyone likes that movie for reasons other than nostalgia. It's trash.

Nah people like it. I got mad as hell at Jay in their event horizon RLM vid when he said that.

I just don’t like it, personally. And I love me some dumb trash. Godzilla Vs Kong is a + stupid trash and I adore every second

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CelticPredator posted:

Nah people like it. I got mad as hell at Jay in their event horizon RLM vid when he said that.

I just don’t like it, personally. And I love me some dumb trash. Godzilla Vs Kong is a + stupid trash and I adore every second

GvK I feel is like Rampage, stupid and silly and a lot of the individual parts are forgettable at best, but they absolutely commit to their premise. They're not ashamed of it or half-assing it, they revel in the giant monster smackdowns and video game references/Hollow Earth gonzo sci-fi adventures and the giant robot dinosaur, and even bring in new themes that are interesting and future works could have fun with.

We have way too many movies, especially but not exclusively adaptations, that are ashamed of, embarrassed by their core premise, and it shows. And it goes back well beyond the era of irony poisoning.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thats what I love about the monster verse. They’re all very sincere films and I think they’re all really great in their own ways. Def my favorite “””universe””” or whatever.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I legit like MK95 and Event Horizon but the rest of his filmography is a rank turd.

I will go to bat for Soldier though that's mostly because Kurt Russel carries the movie and Jason Scott Lee is a great antagonist. CP's complaint about Anderson movies looking really dull is very valid though, I remember Soldier looking really flat.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

I will go to bat for Soldier though that's mostly because Kurt Russel carries the movie and Jason Scott Lee is a great antagonist. CP's complaint about Anderson movies looking really dull is very valid though, I remember Soldier looking really flat.

I was gonna toss in Soldier too but its been absolutely forever since ive seen it last.

jesus Army of the Dead is 2 and a half hours....

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh man I forgot soldier was his. I should rewatch it and report back.

I’ll leave that one off the table for now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jesus Army of the Dead is 2 and a half hours....

I saw it a week ago and it doesn't feel like a two and a half movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Cherry was insanely bad. Holy poo poo.

I watched Dom Griffin’s review of it and the boot camp clips he played were unbelievable.

Roth posted:

Yeah, I don't think I can be convinced on those Resident Evil movies. They're just insanely boring.

I watched the first one this week and it was part really goddamn stupid in a really boring and part really goddamn stupid in the best way. Why did they have

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just find it really dull. It's lacking something to be fun schlock. I'd rather watch Street Fighter.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I watched Dom Griffin’s review of it and the boot camp clips he played were unbelievable.

I watched the first one this week and it was part really goddamn stupid in a really boring and part really goddamn stupid in the best way. Why did they have

The scene where the dude gets turned into little meat cubes by the lasers makes Resident Evil worth watching.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

The scene where the dude gets turned into little meat cubes by the lasers makes Resident Evil worth watching.

That and also the scene where Milla Jovovich runs up a wall and spin-kicks a zombie dog mid-air.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That and also the scene where Milla Jovovich runs up a wall and spin-kicks a zombie dog mid-air.

I'm disappointed in myself for forgetting that. Why isn't she in more stuff?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Why did Lurdiak just auto ban himself?

E: Never mind I see the drama now.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 21, 2021

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I'm disappointed in myself for forgetting that. Why isn't she in more stuff?
Because Ultraviolet didn't set the world on fire like it should have.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Is Ultraviolent as stupid and awesome as Equilibrium is? Equilibrium is maybe the stupidest movie I’ve ever seen, but it’s fun as hell.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Is Ultraviolent as stupid and awesome as Equilibrium is? Equilibrium is maybe the stupidest movie I’ve ever seen, but it’s fun as hell.

I personally think it's less awesome than Equilibrium but it balances it out by being way more stupid. Equilibrium has a society and technology that makes sense with the story, even though gunkata is a bit of an odd duck. Ultraviolet just seems to throw stuff at a wall and it doesn't even take a look if something sticks.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 21, 2021

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Spatulater bro! posted:

Why did Lurdiak just auto ban himself?

E: Never mind I see the drama now.

What happened?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He made a game and rdidn't handle constructive criticism very well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

referring to video game dev as "stolen valor" is pretty hilarious but I don't think it qualifies as constructive criticism.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Only read the first post in that thread and that seemed pretty reasonable

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1395830773006180354?s=21
Hmmmm

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

FreudianSlippers posted:

Only read the first post in that thread and that seemed pretty reasonable

Link to the thread?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Link to the thread?

Here you go my man. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968160

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thanks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

It always seems like the Hollywood preference for biracial actors is some kind of tax writeoff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It always seems like the Hollywood preference for biracial actors is some kind of tax writeoff.

Excuse me, but Jumanji also had a black guy and a woman so Hollywood is totally progressive now as long as you're not a woman or a person of color who wants to direct films.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is it me or were mainstream Hollywood movies more racially diverse 20-30 years ago than they are now?

It wasn't all puppies and rainbows but like half the big movie stars of the 90s were Black. Maybe it's because Hollywood spends a lot of time now pandering to foreign markets that they've, probably arbitrarily, decided are racist.

Ok I read some more and that thread goes places.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 21, 2021

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

There's so little representation that their go-to reference in the article are henchmen in Spies in Disguise. :eyepop:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Reminder! For anyone who wants to spend their Friday night watching movies with goons:

teagone posted:

I'm hosting a Dawn of the Dead/Army of the Dead double feature stream tonight in the CineD Discord:

Come experience Snyder's brand of zombie mayhem at 9PM central! For Army of the Dead, I will also be hosting a Scener room for those with Netflix. If you plan on joining the Discord stream, please remember to mute your mics :)

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is it me or were mainstream Hollywood movies more racially diverse 20-30 years ago than they are now?

It wasn't all puppies and rainbows but like half the big movie stars of the 90s were Black. Maybe it's because Hollywood spends a lot of time now pandering to foreign markets that they've, probably arbitrarily, decided are racist.

Yeah, it's all very "Oh no, we're not racist, but we need this movie to do well in China and you know how those people are."