Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I have a question: My lease on my BMW 530e is up on 5/26 and I am planning on returning it this weekend. I am way under miles (like, 12k under) and the car is still in impeccable shape. I just haven't heard a peep from the dealership on returning procedures. Do I just drive to the dealership, walk in and find the nearest person and say "Here are the keys, I'm returning my lease, goodbye!"? We are not leasing or purchasing another car, intending to go to a one-car household since we both work remotely. I've tried calling but can't seem to ever get through to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Your lease should have the procedure in it. I'd want to call ahead and get an inspection and sign off (in writing) while I was there so there's no funny business.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Omne posted:

I have a question: My lease on my BMW 530e is up on 5/26 and I am planning on returning it this weekend. I am way under miles (like, 12k under) and the car is still in impeccable shape. I just haven't heard a peep from the dealership on returning procedures. Do I just drive to the dealership, walk in and find the nearest person and say "Here are the keys, I'm returning my lease, goodbye!"? We are not leasing or purchasing another car, intending to go to a one-car household since we both work remotely. I've tried calling but can't seem to ever get through to someone.

Nope, not that simple.

You'll need to schedule a lease end inspection appointment, in fact you should have already had one by now according to the BMW literature I read.

There's a lease end termination fee of 350 dollars if you don't lease another BMW. This is one of the ways BMW keeps people leasing. There's also going to be some paperwork like an odometer statement, and maybe some other stuff depending on where you live. They are also going to try like hell to get you into another BMW.

In today's market I highly suggest you figure out what your lease buyout price is, and the market value of the car. There is a possibility the car is worth more than the buyout price at the end of the lease, and you can exercise the right to buy the car at the pre negotiated price, then turn around and sell it for a profit. I realize you probably don't want to deal with this, but it is an option. If you want to share your specific details I can look it up if you want.

http://www.motorologist.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW-End_Of_Lease_Brochure_Eng.pdf

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In my experience with BMW if you just sort of fuss a little bit the dealer will waive the termination fee.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

Your lease should have the procedure in it. I'd want to call ahead and get an inspection and sign off (in writing) while I was there so there's no funny business.

skipdogg posted:

Nope, not that simple.

You'll need to schedule a lease end inspection appointment, in fact you should have already had one by now according to the BMW literature I read.

There's a lease end termination fee of 350 dollars if you don't lease another BMW. This is one of the ways BMW keeps people leasing. There's also going to be some paperwork like an odometer statement, and maybe some other stuff depending on where you live. They are also going to try like hell to get you into another BMW.

In today's market I highly suggest you figure out what your lease buyout price is, and the market value of the car. There is a possibility the car is worth more than the buyout price at the end of the lease, and you can exercise the right to buy the car at the pre negotiated price, then turn around and sell it for a profit. I realize you probably don't want to deal with this, but it is an option. If you want to share your specific details I can look it up if you want.

http://www.motorologist.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW-End_Of_Lease_Brochure_Eng.pdf

This is what I was afraid of when I didn't hear anything and couldn't reach anyone. I'll call again and see if I can reach someone, otherwise Saturday is going to be an interesting day.

I did check the current market value of the car, and it doesn't look like there's any room there based on my vehicle buyout price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

They'll do the lease inspection day of, they'll be glad to take the car in to inventory at this point.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

well I went to a toyota dealer and instead of a tacoma trd off road on the lot they offered me a 1-4 month wait list.

well gently caress

I'll probably snoop around and see if any of these online ads are actually really on the lot.

I drove both a automatic and manual used trd off road instead, still can't decide which to get. the manual has a insanely long clutch travel, like laughably so, and the first gear is seriously very low range with no pull. So the automatic felt better off the line, but once at speed the manual seemed superior as I had that rpm control. tough call. I'm leaning towards the manual because it's also like 2k cheaper, and they have a new one on their waitlist I can order.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 19, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Proud owner of the Lexus hatchback. Offered the guy 9 and he took it. So stoked. I have a better looking Prius.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

LionArcher posted:

Proud owner of the Lexus hatchback. Offered the guy 9 and he took it. So stoked. I have a better looking Prius.

Congrats! But can you lift it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Congrats! But can you lift it?

Lexuses get slammed.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

LionArcher posted:

No vehicle looks better than the Prius. The Prius is testament to cold blooded efficiency. A stoic steed for the modern day knight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ethanol posted:

well I went to a toyota dealer and instead of a tacoma trd off road on the lot they offered me a 1-4 month wait list.

well gently caress

I'll probably snoop around and see if any of these online ads are actually really on the lot.

I drove both a automatic and manual used trd off road instead, still can't decide which to get. the manual has a insanely long clutch travel, like laughably so, and the first gear is seriously very low range with no pull. So the automatic felt better off the line, but once at speed the manual seemed superior as I had that rpm control. tough call. I'm leaning towards the manual because it's also like 2k cheaper, and they have a new one on their waitlist I can order.

the manual will probably retain value better if that matters to you

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the manual will probably retain value better if that matters to you

I can’t imagine buying a tacoma and not getting a manual.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Manual forces you to have a 5 ft bed is probably the biggest negative, still leaning toward it though

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

KillHour posted:

Lexuses get slammed.

Incredible. I don't understand the desire to do that at all, but I found an article about the culture that I'm excited to read later.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

No vehicle looks better than the Prius. The Prius is testament to cold blooded efficiency. A stoic steed for the modern day knight.

Counterpoint: the 2016 Prii that I'm considering look like a spaceship hosed a Corolla, and now I'm imagining adding a 1.5" lift to the Touring version of that. A truly unholy thing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Unsinkabear posted:

Counterpoint: the 2016 Prii that I'm considering look like a spaceship hosed a Corolla

Money Plane.

E: gently caress it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoHHk4zERyU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bad news the 4 month wait list for tacomas has me looking at waitlists for 2021 broncos again

Edit: I put a deposit on the ‘21 manual tacoma. Build date: june 21. Delivery: July maybe. I gave in after calling all the Toyota dealers and they’re all doing that so I went with the local closest dealer. Oh well. Hope it’s a good truck

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 20, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ethanol posted:

bad news the 4 month wait list for tacomas has me looking at waitlists for 2021 broncos again

Edit: I put a deposit on the ‘21 manual tacoma. Build date: june 21. Delivery: July maybe. I gave in after calling all the Toyota dealers and they’re all doing that so I went with the local closest dealer. Oh well. Hope it’s a good truck

Does it come with CarPlay? And extended cab?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Does it come with CarPlay? And extended cab?

Double cab. The access cab only comes in a manual on the trd sport for some weird reason. Yes. I will not have a “real truck”. It’s more like a explorer cut in half. Im fine with it. I think the shorter wheel base is better for daily driving and I have actually high centered before and I don’t like that.

Don’t they all come with CarPlay now? I didn’t check, I’m not super concerned with radio nav options.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 20, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ethanol posted:

Double cab. The access cab only comes in a manual on the trd sport for some weird reason. Yes. I will not have a “real truck”. It’s more like a explorer cut in half. Im fine with it. I think the shorter wheel base is better for daily driving and I have actually high centered before and I don’t like that.

Don’t they all come with CarPlay now? I didn’t check, I’m not super concerned with radio nav options.

All good, I now as of two days ago drive a Lexus hybrid hattttch that I adore. Still a real truck in my book just curious.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

LionArcher posted:

All good, I now as of two days ago drive a Lexus hybrid hattttch that I adore. Still a real truck in my book just curious.

Oh its not you it’s my coworkers with their 8 foot beds

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I was hoping to kind of kick around some ideas and get some advice. Here’s the background:

I currently have a piece of poo poo ‘04 savana that I use as a mobile garage for motorcycles and park on the street in NYC. It has three dirt bikes in the back, the rockers are rusted through (less rusty and I might just put in a new motor) and mechanically it’s let me down enough times now that it’s time for a replacement.

Proposed Budget: ideally 10-15k, but if there’s something compelling I could be talked into anything less than 40k.
New or Used: used.
Body Style: How will you be using the car?: What aspects are most important to you?

I’m currently trying to decide between getting another van and getting a pickup and renting some garage space to keep the bikes in.

The vehicle needs to be able to carry three full size people + a dog so either a crew cab truck or a van that’s either a crew or a passenger that I take the rear-most benches out of. It’s going to get parked on the street in NYC so for vans I really just want the 148” wb versions and for trucks no super duty extended bed extended cab.

I can fit three dirt bikes in the back of an older ranger so I’m not too concerned about bed length generally.

Options:
Vans
Upside: don’t have to worry about finding a garage. Less ongoing garage expense. Don’t have to worry about break ins at overnight races if I get a hotel room. Can also easily sleep in the van. Tools and gear all come with when I go riding.
Downside: probably higher initial cost. Vehicle is single-use. Really don’t want another van I have to hunch over all weird to load the bikes in.

1. 144” sprinter high/med roof crew. Upside: high resale value. Lots of aftermarket stuff like water tanks if I want to add a pressure washer. Engines go forever if maintained properly. Crew so no need to worry about dealing with windows in the back. Downside: both Mercedes and diesel so if anything breaks it’s a billion dollars. Higher initial expense. Governor kicks in at 84mph which could be too low for, uh, passing.

2. 148” transit medium roof passenger. Upside: gas engine. Cheaper maintenance. Supposedly nicer to drive than the pre-‘19 sprinters. Folks love the eco boost motor. Downside: passenger so I’d have to board up the rear windows and figure out what to do about the airbags back of the first bench seat. Fewer aftermarket mods available. Lower resale value.

3. Express/savana wheelchair van with the high rear doors. Upside: cheaper. Familiar with them mechanically. Cheap everything. Downside: less nice. Spouse doesn’t like them because current one has issues. That last one probably rules them out but still worth considering because of the price?

Truck
Upside: lower initial cost, I think. Seems like trucks are anywhere from 5-15k whereas transit and sprinters are 15+. Pretty easy to just load up my bike and go when by myself. Could theoretically use it for other stuff (but won’t actually).
Downside: I know way less about available truck options. Need to rent garage space. Tools don’t just come with every time.

So, what do folks think? Any other information that would be helpful?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay this is a bit of an oddball question because the answer may be "there is no car that fits that description".

Is there, or has there been, or will there be in the near future a car that is:
Small, i.e. Fit or something around that
Full of safety and convenience features, e.g. parallel parking assistance, proximity alarms, auto braking to avoid accidents, I dunno, literally everything that car commercials list as safety features
Not a luxury car, the goal is compact and easy to drive for someone who is not confident in driving and is not looking for fun or flashy or comfort, utility over all.

Sorry for not using the template, but really, it's an exploratory question.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not a ton of cars with parking assistance out there, but a lot of the Subaru’s would tick most of those boxes.

Do you have a budget in mind?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Honestly, not really? Just knowing what there is and what ranges there are for those options would be helpful for potential future planning.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
The shortest one - the Crosstrek - is like ten or so inches longer than the Fit but yeah should tick most of those boxes

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Thanks! Looking at it doesn't seem to have the parking assist but has pretty much everything else. I'll keep it in mind, if I truly wanted parking assistance it would be more on the lexus end of things, looks like?

Really appreciate it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Prius can be had with park assist.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I feel a backup camera makes parking 99% easier and never felt the need for assist

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Seriously, I was blown away with what a difference it makes. I never learned to perpendicular reverse park really, but it's child's play now. Meanwhile my sister's Golf has park assist (I think? Maybe it was a rental she had) and it never struck me as particularly effective, just kinda fine.

The new Hyundai Venue has most of that stuff though I think.

Hyundai's lane keeping implementation is actually crazy good in general, it'll happily drive for you while you rest a hand on the wheel, though for someone learning that's probably the last thing you want.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

With how good backup cameras (and forward cameras!) are with dynamic guide lines and radar beeps and now 360 cameras becoming more common parking is so easy, park assist seems kinda gimmicky. But if its what your heart desires more power to you.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I want to say thank you to this thread, askers and answerers both. I still know approximately nothing about cars, but reading a few dozen pages of posts for a week answered just about all the questions I came up with (and added several I wouldn't have thought to ask). All y'all are wise and generous with your time, and I appreciate it!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

silvergoose posted:

Okay this is a bit of an oddball question because the answer may be "there is no car that fits that description".

Is there, or has there been, or will there be in the near future a car that is:
Small, i.e. Fit or something around that
Full of safety and convenience features, e.g. parallel parking assistance, proximity alarms, auto braking to avoid accidents, I dunno, literally everything that car commercials list as safety features
Not a luxury car, the goal is compact and easy to drive for someone who is not confident in driving and is not looking for fun or flashy or comfort, utility over all.

Sorry for not using the template, but really, it's an exploratory question.

I mean this is a mini, I think, except they try to be fun and flashy. They are also overpriced new and comically unreliable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The new Ford Escape advertises parallel park assist pretty heavily. The GLA might be a decent choice, it’s small and can be optioned with everything you want. It’s not cheap, though.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

It doesn't come standard, but it looks like the Chevy Sonic had safety features like lane drift and collision warning all the way back to 2014, and they're definitely small and cheap. US News and Edmunds both seem to like them. Any issues with those?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

All y'all are wise and generous with your time, and I appreciate it!

If you really think think this, you should come to AI proper so we can disabuse you of that impression :v:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What do we consider "high mileage" for commercial vehicles?

I'm looking at vans and saw a 2016 Ford Transit Custom (2.0 diesel) at a good price and spec, but 128k miles. I've always had 120k in mind as the point at which you should be wary as it's usually when the clutch starts to go, but this is old received wisdom, and for cars.

Is wear & tear generally better or worse for work vans? I assume they're driven harder but built for longevity?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Jaded Burnout posted:

Is wear & tear generally better or worse for work vans?
Worse. At best they don't care. At worst they take their frustration with the company and their entire lives out on the vehicle.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I assume they're driven harder but built for longevity?
Yes, and no. They're built exactly the same as the same chassis in non-commercial use. Trucks are built to be trucks, whether a stake body or a mall crawler, they're built the same. This does not apply for 450/4500's and above. Vans universally get beaten into oblivion commercially.

When I worked for a small company, we'd buy fleet vans for short money. This was in 2008-2014. We'd buy a 99-05 GMC Savanna 3500 long wheel base every 2 years with around 120k miles for less than $4500. We'd put a trans cooler on it, maybe a ball joint or two, have the plugs, crank position sensor, blower motor resistor, and water pump replaced (maybe a grand-1500 bucks worth of work), and proceed to load it with 2000# of crap and tow 2-8k pounds all over New England. They'd last 2 years with minimal additional parts, and then we'd sell them for $2k to a local plumber or electrician with ~175k on them. We beat the poo poo out of them, but that was the job. Forest roads, backing them down boat ramps until water came in the back door, dragging trailers up all manner of hills with the cruise on 65, you name it. AAA was an important part of traveling, but they rarely left us completely stranded. A bigger fleet usually does a decent job on maintenance, but the vehicles get used hard. Lots of idling hours, too.

My first full size truck was a former fleet truck (04 Chevy 2500HD) and it had enough hours for 250k miles, but the Odo was 160k when I bought it. I'll never figure out how they managed to scratch the window glass without damaging the frames, but both drivers side windows had deep deep scratches in the glass from edge to edge. Stunk of smoke, the body creaked badly, the seat was shot, but it was a good work truck.

What I'm saying is: know what you're getting into, and learn about the problem areas ahead of time (and get an inspection).

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

So it looks like I might be in a position to sell my car now while the used car market is wild, get as much out of it as possible, and then wait until fall before buying its replacement. You folks have your finger on the pulse better than most, do you think the supply and demand are likely to have settled down by then, or do I run the risk of things getting worse instead of better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Worse. At best they don't care. At worst they take their frustration with the company and their entire lives out on the vehicle.

Yes, and no. They're built exactly the same as the same chassis in non-commercial use. Trucks are built to be trucks, whether a stake body or a mall crawler, they're built the same. This does not apply for 450/4500's and above. Vans universally get beaten into oblivion commercially.

When I worked for a small company, we'd buy fleet vans for short money. This was in 2008-2014. We'd buy a 99-05 GMC Savanna 3500 long wheel base every 2 years with around 120k miles for less than $4500. We'd put a trans cooler on it, maybe a ball joint or two, have the plugs, crank position sensor, blower motor resistor, and water pump replaced (maybe a grand-1500 bucks worth of work), and proceed to load it with 2000# of crap and tow 2-8k pounds all over New England. They'd last 2 years with minimal additional parts, and then we'd sell them for $2k to a local plumber or electrician with ~175k on them. We beat the poo poo out of them, but that was the job. Forest roads, backing them down boat ramps until water came in the back door, dragging trailers up all manner of hills with the cruise on 65, you name it. AAA was an important part of traveling, but they rarely left us completely stranded. A bigger fleet usually does a decent job on maintenance, but the vehicles get used hard. Lots of idling hours, too.

My first full size truck was a former fleet truck (04 Chevy 2500HD) and it had enough hours for 250k miles, but the Odo was 160k when I bought it. I'll never figure out how they managed to scratch the window glass without damaging the frames, but both drivers side windows had deep deep scratches in the glass from edge to edge. Stunk of smoke, the body creaked badly, the seat was shot, but it was a good work truck.

What I'm saying is: know what you're getting into, and learn about the problem areas ahead of time (and get an inspection).

Gotcha. Given the spec on this particular one I suspect its been better cared for by a single owner, but that's optimistic. It's also BRIGHT TURQUOISE.