Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Man I remember trying to get into Walking Dead and Invincible like 10 years ago since Kirkman was all the rage and giving up about a volume into each since it's all just so incredibly hateful. None of it felt like it had any purpose other than being unrelentingly miserable.

For what it's worth, Invincible ends on a pretty optimistic, positive note. Also features probably the most extreme superman-pastiche battle I've seen yet; Invincible and The Evil Badman throttle each other into a sun, and they fight on the sun as their flesh sears off, Invincible winning because his arch-nemesis NotLex sends him a layer of armor so he'd Melt Slower

Post-battle, Invincible and his arch-nemesis get into a war where noone dies, he's neutralized, and the rest of the issues are a montage of Invincible & children reforming the supermen diaspora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought the first compendium of Walking Dead was pretty good, the one that collected the first 48 issues ending with the prison being destroyed and Carl and Rick escaping alone. The comic should have ended there, not only was it a satisfying ending but I kept reading for a dozen or so more issues and it devolved into wheel-spinning almost immediately. Especially for something coming out in the early/mid 00s, I thought it was one of the more interesting pieces of zombie fiction. It's funny, I remember at the time people absolutely hating the prison storyline, but I thought having a base where the characters could actually work to rebuild civilization (if on a small scale) was something pretty unique for zombies at the time.

I never got that far into either the show or the comic, but my parents still watch the show every week so I have a general gist of it, and I do think that the Whisperers are a pretty interesting zombie concept also, maybe the one good innovation in the genre that Walking Dead developed post-prison.

It is kind of suitable that Walking Dead came out at the start of the zombie renaissance, arguably became its most popular piece of work, lingered on as the genre kind of died, and is now going to end just as it seems the zombie genre is perhaps getting resurrected.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
When I read Kirkman's interview where he revealed that the Walking Dead would just go on and on, I knew it was going to end up poo poo. Took no pleasure in being right about that one, particularly because I enjoyed the hell out of the first season of the show.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Hilariously the ending is the one that thing that he probably nailed as far as the Walking Dead goes. It's not a particularly novel take on tragedy + time, but it's executed well enough.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

lol at the end where you say you arent going to degrade yourself to reading the comic.

I can't help myself sometimes.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Kirkman is really a garbage writer. A lot of people confuse the surprise of shock value for good writing.

One reason I would be tempted to read the comic is to find out how much of the Buffy/Justice League pastiche tone the cartoon has is new for the show, because it doesn't feel like either the kind of thing that would get written in 2005 or that would work well in a comic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like Invincible is just stealth Dragon Ball Z

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sounds like Invincible is just stealth Dragon Ball Z

It's not particularly stealthy about it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

josh04 posted:

One reason I would be tempted to read the comic is to find out how much of the Buffy/Justice League pastiche tone the cartoon has is new for the show, because it doesn't feel like either the kind of thing that would get written in 2005 or that would work well in a comic.

Invincible was initially sold on the promise of being "superhero soap opera", and it was that for the most part, but then the ridiculous violence ramped up and it became nonstop Murderman vs moustached aliens.

Buffy pastiche worked well for A LOT of comics around that time because Buffy was inspired by X-Men in the first place

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm still wondering if Rome was planning on keeping Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevenson for the planned 5th season that would have been about Christ, when the two main characters would be at least 90.

Eh, as much as I loved Rome (and I really did), it always played a little fast and loose with the timeline, so they could have just compressed it a bit so they were their same age when Christ showed up.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd be interested in reading The Boys for a similar reason; so much of the show seems like a direct response to current superhero movie stuff. There's the gags about "Joss" rewriting a movie with Zack Snyder colour grading and all, but also the whole premise of the superheroes belonging to a big corporation and wanting to join the military is very MCU. Well, and also directly referencing the military-industrial complex. I absolutely loved the bit in the show where the main character goes home after his girlfriend's death and he has a funko pop of the guy who killed her

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The Boys comic still has a lot of corporate malfeasance and Voight American attempting to take over the US Military, but it also spends a lot of its time on its 9/11 analogy, due to the time it was written. If you can tolerate Garth Ennis' juvenile humor and spurts of liberal patriotism, I'd recommend it.

Don't read Dear Becky, Herogasm is alright but entirely uneccessary and cranks the sex jokes up to 11.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

fatherboxx posted:

Invincible was initially sold on the promise of being "superhero soap opera", and it was that for the most part, but then the ridiculous violence ramped up and it became nonstop Murderman vs moustached aliens.

Buffy pastiche worked well for A LOT of comics around that time because Buffy was inspired by X-Men in the first place

It's possible given the dates that I've got it completely and Justice League Unlimited was (in part) riffing on Invincible for all the CADMUS stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Neurolimal posted:

The Boys comic still has a lot of corporate malfeasance and Voight American attempting to take over the US Military, but it also spends a lot of its time on its 9/11 analogy, due to the time it was written. If you can tolerate Garth Ennis' juvenile humor and spurts of liberal patriotism, I'd recommend it.
All the Bush-era commentary has survived very well, because nothing has actually changed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It is really weird that the Boys TV show turned the Bush analogue into an AOC analogue.

In other news, Marvel is just trolling Scorsese by this point:

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/1394766874093686784

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Injustice: Gods Among Us Animated Movie Officially Announced by DC, Warner Bros. Animation

Homelander, Omni-Man, those alt-universe supermen from that CW show, Adam Warlock, Injustice Superman, the new '20s are the decade of the evil superman baby. Awou (wolf Howl)

Now's a good a time as any for WB to greenlight Snyder's mad max batman movie

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Speaking of Omni-man, I promised a second Invincible write-up and a second Invincible write-up I have produced.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Don't read Dear Becky, Herogasm is alright but entirely uneccessary and cranks the sex jokes up to 11.

The Boys comic is super interesting since you can see, as you read it, Ennis realising what he should have done all along. The embodiment of the corporation becomes the main villain, the sexual violence stops being sexual and is simply violent (The herogasm subplot serves as a receptacle for all the lovely sex jokes he had left over). He mocks the concept of an edgy superman, pointing out that what most people would do completely lacks any imagination. He ridicules the obsession with sexually traumatic backstories for women after writing one early on. It often feels like a conversation he's having with his own work. A 1:1 adaptation would be utterly unwatchable but it seems like the show is more mining the comic for good ideas and doing something else with them.

josh04 posted:

Speaking of Omni-man, I promised a second Invincible write-up and a second Invincible write-up I have produced.

You're a drat good writer. Keep it up.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I still like The Boys comic, Ennisisms and all, but you can definitely see Ennis' creation grow and mature over time, yeah. I imagine that once the series became a certain success, he felt like he didnt have to cram every joke and bizarre event into every issue.

I mentioned this in the TVIV thread, but something I enjoy from the comic is how enigmatic Butcher's motivations are; three or four characters all exposit their own compelling (but ultimately wrong) character judgements, and even after the reveal of Butcher's plan to genocide everyone with Compound V, his interactions with Hughie still cast doubt on what he really wanted. Show Butcher feels a bit more "figured out" to me, which is fine because Urban carries the character effortlessly.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I still like The Boys comic, Ennisisms and all, but you can definitely see Ennis' creation grow and mature over time, yeah. I imagine that once the series became a certain success, he felt like he didnt have to cram every joke and bizarre event into every issue.

I mentioned this in the TVIV thread, but something I enjoy from the comic is how enigmatic Butcher's motivations are; three or four characters all exposit their own compelling (but ultimately wrong) character judgements, and even after the reveal of Butcher's plan to genocide everyone with Compound V, his interactions with Hughie still cast doubt on what he really wanted. Show Butcher feels a bit more "figured out" to me, which is fine because Urban carries the character effortlessly.

I think it was a testament to how confused comic book Butcher was that he could needed multiple pages with absolute walls of text explaining himself at the end. It was such a long passage that, now, I honestly can't remember the conclusion. I just wanted it to end. Which actually summarises the whole back half of the Boys for me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I kind of want the 300 series to continue just to see how far away they can get from the original 300 Spartans and what abstract concept they can attach the idea of "300" onto to keep the franchise.

300: Rise of an Empire was about a completely different city and the number 300 was not relevant at all.
300: Episode 3 would have taken place in a different country and 110 years after the original 300 had died.

300: Episode 7 will be about "300 guys" charging Omaha beach.

I remember one of the copycat projects being a Siege of Masada movie with Mel Gibson attached.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I remember one of the copycat projects being a Siege of Masada movie with Mel Gibson attached.

Maybe for the best we didn't get that one.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

I think it was a testament to how confused comic book Butcher was that he could needed multiple pages with absolute walls of text explaining himself at the end. It was such a long passage that, now, I honestly can't remember the conclusion. I just wanted it to end. Which actually summarises the whole back half of the Boys for me.

Eh, I think his motivations (at least what he gives) are pretty simple in that issue; Butcher's set on genociding every Compound V person because of how dangerous they are, but has pangs of self-doubt due to exposure to Hughie's humanistic nature, which reminds him of his late brother. After surrounding himself with killers and politikers, A Normal Person rubs off on him. I liked that explanation because it gels with a lot of the Hughie-Butcher scenes, where their life experiences are mirrored but he ends up having a significantly more moral reaction.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 20, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Butcher character is fairly straightforward he's a manipulative oval office and a psycho, but just about self aware enough to realise that he needs a moderating force in his life, or he goes completely off the rails. He's not really confused or confusing in himself. The only ambiguity comes from that he elicits strong reactions in Hughie, who kinda wants to be that kind of badass anti-hero but ultimately isn't and is better off for it.

I like most of the changes the show makes but the hughie/butcher relationship isn't as strong. Hughie finding it in him to tell butcher to gently caress off before season 1 is even over accelerates their arc a lot.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 20, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Hughie spends most of the last half of the comic doing absolutely nothing and stewing about being the team's comic relief. The show is better for having corrected that right off the bat.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Apologies if these have already been posted:

I dig the collar, some people aren't into the skinny-looking neck, I'd have to wait for the movie to know how I feel about it; it gives him a bit more of a youthful, vulnerable vibe, and I dont know if that conflicts with the film yet, obviously.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The collar reminds of a modern take on the Gotham By Gaslight version. I dig it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is that first one fan made?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
No clue, it was bundled with the others. Admittedly I didnt do too much research beyond "huh neat, I wonder if the comic thread has talked about the costume yet".

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm getting Amazing Spider-Man vibes from those posters, definitely looking forward to this

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I think it's the first comic book movie I've looked forward to since Spider-Verse. Matt Reeves has only gotten better and Pattison is hella talented.

The co-writer Peter Craig puts a damper on my excitement, however.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

anatomi posted:

The co-writer Peter Craig puts a damper on my excitement, however.
Hollywood Writing Credits are a labyrinth of insanity. So unless you have Reeves saying he directly worked with him it might not be an issue. It could be something as minor as "Dude had an outline for a Young Batman with maybe the Penguin as a crime boss at some point"

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The general rule of thumb is that "Written by [name] & [name]" means they wrote it together, but "Written by [name] and [name]" is different drafts by different people.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVDKZJkGlY

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'd thought they'd canceled this

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

The director is being cancelled in china if that counts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

grieving for Gandalf posted:

You might be thinking of Inhumans. They cancelled that movie and made it into a pretty bad TV miniseries.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You might be thinking of Inhumans. They cancelled that movie and made it into a pretty bad TV miniseries.

I was thinking of that, I guess. I don't know either property in the comic books so I'm pretending they're the same now

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's easy to confuse Inhumans and Eternals because they are literally the same concept but with different levels of aliens responsible. Inhumans were made by the Kree as part of their imperialist wars. Eternals were made by the Lovecraftian robot Celestials, who did this on every planet, and were in fact part of their process of uplifting primitive creatures into sapient intelligence throughout the galaxy as well as indirectly creating the Mutant race.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

aren't the Inhumans related to the X-Men, too, or was that just the garbo retcon they tried to do when X-Men properties still belonged to someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Eternals trailer does have a very different vibe and look than the other MCU movies (except for the comedic stinger at the end of all of them).

The scene with Kumail Nanjiani looks pretty amazing. Nanjiani is ridiculously yoked in this compared to everything else I have ever seen him in. Everything else looked fine, but didn't blow me away.

The trailer reveals basically nothing about the plot, though. I still have no idea what the actual conflict is.