Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the adaptation of chekannazuki where they removed the miko

a controversial pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that joke takes too long for me to get because I have to page between here and the image

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just another thing grouchio and droyer's posting has ruined 😔

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

just another thing grouchio and droyer's posting has ruined 😔

actually offended at being grouped with grouchio

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

if anything id say the mecha genre is on a bit of an uptick recently. not a major one but compared to the early 2010s it feels like we're getting more shows and a wider variety of shows in the past few years. ibo and gridman were decently big so maybe that has something to do with it.

This year has one of the biggest crops of mech anime in a while, for whatever that's worth. Gundam, Macross, Eva, and Eureka Seven all have movies, Fafner's finishing up Beyond, Getter's animating Arc, Shinkalion is getting a sequel... it's packed.

If we're talking success, there's also Promare making nearly 10 million, Evangelion outgrossing Shin Godzilla this year, and Shinkalion being a pretty solid hit with kids in Japan.

Might not be the biggest thing going (nine isekai next season! NINE!) but it's not a dying subgenre either, even if hand drawn mechs are a bit of a dying art. (Which Sunrise is trying to address.)

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
It is now the era of the fishing anime

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1395672996271075329?s=20

kater
Nov 16, 2010

There’s a Eureka Seven movie? Let that corpse lie dammit.

Also 86 reminds me a lot of Franxx. I mean idk. It’s got kids, they’ve got machines, the people in charge is hosed up. I guess that is actually everything.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

kater posted:

Also 86 reminds me a lot of Franxx. I mean idk. It’s got kids, they’ve got machines, the people in charge is hosed up. I guess that is actually everything.

Isn't that basically all mecha anime, especially the Real Robot kind? I'm sure mecha anime that don't have evil authority figures exist, but I can't think of any.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Grouchio posted:

I have no idea what this is

go watch some classic anime from before 2011

kater posted:

buddy theres like three. the anemone one even sounds kinda ok

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Colonel posted:

go watch some classic anime from before 2011

Don't actually watch Kannazuki no Miko, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no. watch it. it's a good anime motherfucker

more seriously it is worth knowing about the, weird, scene in the middle and it is kind of a weird beat that i understand definitely will be a sticking point for many. and i kinda wish it wasn't there. i think every other part of it is a legitimately good and unique anime though and it has some genuinely interesting commentary and a decent ending

i also like cross ange so basically, i am the final boss

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 21, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Isn't that basically all mecha anime, especially the Real Robot kind? I'm sure mecha anime that don't have evil authority figures exist, but I can't think of any.

Depends on your definition of authority figures. And, for that matter, evil.

I don't think Gunbuster has any even by fairly loose definitions. The Empire is all in for saving humanity, the enemy is space monsters, and the people we see in command (Coach and Tatsumi Tashiro) are on the up-and-up, with even their rear end in a top hat moments having explanations.

It's a genre staple to have command be as much trouble for the heroes as the enemy, but there's a lot of variation. On the one end, the original Gundam made it clear that the Federation was kinda lovely, but their main commander in the show, Revil, did his best to support the heroes even when he was using them as part of a wider strategy. On the other, you have Gundam SEED, where the Earth Alliance tried to murder the protagonists and was just as much a bunch of genocidal psychopaths as their main enemies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

86 is way more an ironblooded orphans riff if anything.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Endorph posted:

IBO and Akito the Exiled had a baby and named it 86.

I'm way behind for various reasons, but that's how I'd describe it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is 86 good? i feel like after its first episode it came onto my radar, then shortly after the buzz for it took a downturn and it fell off my radar. should i give it a shot?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

is 86 good? i feel like after its first episode it came onto my radar, then shortly after the buzz for it took a downturn and it fell off my radar. should i give it a shot?

It's remained very solid, and is actually slightly smarter (and angrier) than it looks at first glance.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

One of the author's afterwards literally ends with:
"Music playing while writing this afterward:
Raise Your Flag"

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Motto posted:

One of the author's afterwards literally ends with:
"Music playing while writing this afterward:
Raise Your Flag"

This was great, because the subtitle of that volume is Under Pressure, so Raise Your Flag kept playing in my head every time I saw the cover.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

It's pretty good so far. Pacing is a little slower since it's a whole cour for one volume of a light novel, but that means there's room to actually give all the supporting characters moments before they die.

The directing is really good, too. Really helps the tone adjust quickly from lighthearted to horrible disaster.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

well that sounds pretty cool then, i'll give it a 3 episode test

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

its very on the nose in that YA fiction sort of way but the directing sells it imo

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I love Back Arrow. It just keeps getting better and better.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

The Colonel posted:

i also like cross ange so basically, i am the final boss

more than anything else in your post, this makes me want to watch kannazuki

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

esselfortium posted:

more than anything else in your post, this makes me want to watch kannazuki

the middle of the story has a weird dubcon bit and thats where i think 90% of apprehension comes from

the rest of the story is a mecha anime about the heroine of a mecha anime realizing she's gay and kissing the boy gives her vague depression so she doesn't actually really like him romantically while the other lesbian has dark evil mental breakdowns and tries to push the other girl away because she thinks it would be better for her to die alone and then they have a big lesbian duel to understand each other's feelings. also all the villains are just people with depression because their lives sucked

its a wonky anime and i get where some people's issues from mostly i think just in a more modern context where lesbian manga and anime is more general and accessible, it's got interesting ideas and beats

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 22, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if i were asked to rate kannazuki against another show from the same era with janky yuri themes i'd rate it far above mai-hime cause the moments of weird comphet are intentional build up to its core thematic point that subverts them as an explicitly bad thing

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

The Black Stones posted:

I love Back Arrow. It just keeps getting better and better.

We got some of that escalation people expect out of a Nakashima project and Zetsu still being a badass Master Asia makes sense given Taniguchi worked on G Gundam, so yes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

kater posted:

well no one watched listeners

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wielder posted:

We got some of that escalation people expect out of a Nakashima project and Zetsu still being a badass Master Asia makes sense given Taniguchi worked on G Gundam, so yes.

The OP promises a fight between Raphael and Zetsu, and I am extremely looking forward to it :suspense:.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The OP promises a fight between Raphael and Zetsu, and I am extremely looking forward to it :suspense:.

I mean, we had a bit of that this episode, didn't we? Assuming you mean Rudolph.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, we had a bit of that this episode, didn't we? Assuming you mean Rudolph.

Haven't seen the latest one yet.

And yes :doh:.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

kater posted:

The first one is bad because it's one of those movies that just recaps the series but without enough time to cover everything, also it retcons and changes whole parts of the series and without the time to cover it properly it barely makes any sense.
The second one is good because it tells its own story and says that all the other Eureka Seven stuff are basically alternate universes and there's a character that straight up says all the Eureka Seven spin offs are garbage.

InspectorCarbonara fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 22, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Latest Back Arrow kicks so much rear end.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Silver2195 posted:

Mithril in Full Metal Panic seems to be alright on that front. Sousuke's the only child soldier and that's only because he used to be in the Mujahideen, and it's not like he doesn't want to be there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
very few people were aware of it, but mithril was a subsidiary of amalgam all along.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I decided to watch Godzilla and uh yeah it is good. Maybe I’ll go watch beastars while I’m at it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

So much for avoiding novel spoilers for my favorite show for almost twenty years. : (

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I've posted my thoughts about it after binging the entire manga and it's very solid for a good 12 or so volumes, and then there is a point where a certain character dies and it goes off the rails extremely hard. For a bit more spoilery specificity: there is a character who is kept around basically for the express purpose of being fridged, they are around in the background a fair amount but get literally almost zero character development throughout the series because their only purpose is to be innocent and disposable, it's so blatant it's ridiculous. and they are barely referenced afterwards. the people who were responsible for their murder get more coverage than they do. it's bad

after that there's a good two full arcs that I was just like "this is just going through the motions and I don't give a single poo poo about any of this but I've trapped myself with the sunk cost fallacy", there's a good bit afterwards where it could totally end right there, but there's a moment where I literally think the editors were like "no, we have an anime airing right now, you can't end the series here" and so right back into the poo poo we went.

Also, the main character never improves. He never really betters himself beyind "I mustn't run away!!!", he just sits there and gets the poo poo beat out of him every single time until someone dives in at the last second to stop the blow that would kill him or whatever, you can set your watch to it. There is a series, Rokudou's Bad Girls, with a similarly wimpy protagonist, and there's an entire arc where he realizes he needs to knuckle down and improve if he's going to take on serious responsibilities. And he does! and it affects the rest of the manga, because he strove to improve his situation! but the Revengers protagonist barely does at all the entire time. It's purely shonen determination rather than improving himself. The situations get increasingly more absurd and the way they handle the villain of the series is just...I mean, this is a big spoiler, so don't hover over this I guess if you still care, but: when he's about to explain things, he becomes good friends with truck-kun. perfectly timed to deny any closure. it's bad

so basically, I dunno how quickly tokyo revengers the anime is going through the manga stuff, but it probably won't reach the point where it jumps the shark. that said, if there's a season 2 or it intrigues you to hop into the manga, I do not recommend continuing.

Honestly that was kind of what I was worried about. Once it started settling into the "here comes a worse rear end in a top hat gang guy and the day is saved by the main character being loving" I kind of started tuning out. I don't see a downside to the dude actually learning how to fight instead of just getting his rear end kicked all the time, it just kind of rings hollow and eye rolley after a while if he can't back anything up

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

So much for avoiding novel spoilers for my favorite show for almost twenty years. : (

it's 20 year old spoilers and you can just buy the books now. there's no indication that the rest of it will ever be animated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's 20 year old spoilers and you can just buy the books now. there's no indication that the rest of it will ever be animated.

Spoiler tags cost nothing, and if they can "just buy the books now" why would you still leave that unhidden before they've had a chance to read them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Spoiler tags cost nothing, and if they can "just buy the books now" why would you still leave that unhidden before they've had a chance to read them?

because it is from 20 year old books that have been available in english for at least 10 years. "i desperately want to know how the story ends, but not enough to actually find out" is some real bullshit.