Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Original_Z posted:

I think one of the points of the sex ed was that sex is supposed to be some strong romantic and emotional process and that if you just sleep around casually, you will become depressed because the expected emotional attachment won't be there, which will turn you into a sex-crazed person trying to sleep with people until you do find that attachment, which will never come in that scenario and eventually you'll just become a hollow person, never understanding he joys of a stable relationship and emotional connections!

In fairness I did know some people who went through essentially this. One night stands from the bar don’t often lead to emotional attachment, it turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweevo posted:

But then the other half of the lessons was all that urban myth bullshit about "she smoked weed and cooked her baby because she thought it was a chicken", "he took lsd and then peeled himself because he thought he was an orange", and "dealers will give out free drugs to get you addicted".

these stories were just ahead of their time since you couldn't just go on the internet and order weird chinese "research chemicals" that do actually make you black out, order a dozen pianos and wake up tied to a bed in the hospital because you jumped out of a window and tried to eat the nurse's face

those old urban legends have nothing compared to the tales of goons on the joose

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 22, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The_Franz posted:

those old urban legends have nothing compared to the tales of goons on the joose
"the ocarina of time, except it only transports you to the hospital"

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
In middle school, the teacher would show various safety message videos before our Friday afternoon "TV" time. Usually it was something like fire alarm checks or stranger danger (which led to several kids running to the teacher in a panic the next week because "strange adults" were standing around our playground/parking lot; they were workers from nearby office building on lunch break). One time, we got a video on the danger of...playing with blasting caps. Complete with dramatization and destroyed mannequins. There wasn't a mine for 200 miles around. At least.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Speaking of drug war paranoia, I think that the whole crack panic is dated enough to the late 80s that I think a lot of younger people would not quite understand how all-consuming it got.

Well into the mid 80s I recall powder cocaine being considered kind of a racy joke, like weed or whorehouses in Texas-- I wouldn't be surprised at all if my kinda sketchy uncles snorted it. All of the sudden it could completely take over your life in a single toke and make you have weird mutant babies. Hell, even in my upscale suburban junior high school we had hesher kids selling it in class.

It seems to me that opiates get by far the most attention these days, with meth coming in second. Crack seemed accessible and threatening to me as a dorky suburban kid that I don't think those drugs do to similar kids today.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That was a blue light post about a synthetic cannabinoid, not Joose.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Speaking of drug war paranoia, I think that the whole crack panic is dated enough to the late 80s that I think a lot of younger people would not quite understand how all-consuming it got.

Well into the mid 80s I recall powder cocaine being considered kind of a racy joke, like weed or whorehouses in Texas-- I wouldn't be surprised at all if my kinda sketchy uncles snorted it. All of the sudden it could completely take over your life in a single toke and make you have weird mutant babies. Hell, even in my upscale suburban junior high school we had hesher kids selling it in class.

It seems to me that opiates get by far the most attention these days, with meth coming in second. Crack seemed accessible and threatening to me as a dorky suburban kid that I don't think those drugs do to similar kids today.

Heroin wasn't readily available but by my day popping pills was common in high school. Those people often got into actual heroin as the addiction progressed. Lost one of my close graduating class friends to an OD recently.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Heroin wasn't readily available but by my day popping pills was common in high school. Those people often got into actual heroin as the addiction progressed. Lost one of my close graduating class friends to an OD recently.

:same: though most of them got into pills in college instead of high school. We didn’t have a ten year reunion, so many of us are dead that it would have been an incredible bummer.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That one was a synthetic cannabinoid, not the joose. Whatever that guy got up to made joose antics look tame.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I went to high school from 2001-2005 and I literally didn’t know a single person who did coke or heroin. And I smoked weed every day and drank every weekend. Pills weren’t even popular then either. Then the 5-7 years after high school I lost a ton of friends to heroin. It just exploded out of nowhere.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That was a blue light post about a synthetic cannabinoid, not Joose.
I stand corrected!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
In 10th grade my best friend and I did a project for health class on LSD and used Erowid as one of our primary sources. In fact that’s how I learned about the website!.

Our teacher was one of those who played favorites and needless to say, we did not endear ourselves to her come presentation time.

Jokes on her a massive opioid epidemic was ensnaring the student body when we told her that the “LSD will make you think you’re an orange” poo poo was a myth in front of the class.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My 9th grade chemistry teacher told us some bullshit story about how one of her students took LSD before coming into her class and thought he was riding a motorcycle, and now, to this day, several years later, he’s ‘still riding that motor cycle in a psychological facility!’

It was the most transparently bullshit story I’d heard at that age which is says by something.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

It's always the exact same kind of bullshit - person does some mild non-hallucinatory drug like weed and then "he cut his own head off with an axe because he thought he was a tree and tried to chop himself down!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol at people who have never tripped trying to describe what psychedelics are like.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol at people who have never tripped trying to describe what psychedelics are like.

Well the people who have done it 7 times or more are legally insane, so

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's funny because (as recently as 10 years ago) depictions of movie weed were acid and depictions of acid were DMT.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've only smoked weed like 4 or 5 times but usually I just got bored and lazy.

I even watched Dude Where's My Car once and didn't laugh once despite laughing at it while sober. I suggested watching Black Dynamite while high but my friends were cowards.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Once watched Reefer Madness while high "AF" and went on a murder and raping spree.
Also crashed my car a bunch of times whilst running from the cops after jacking a bank AND liquor store.

Can confirm what the DARE and whatever else people say happens.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

It's funny because (as recently as 10 years ago) depictions of movie weed were acid and depictions of acid were DMT.

:hai:

Made me real disappointed in the visuals (but not the experience) of dropping acid my first time.

DMT was loving aces though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Coloured toilet paper.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Coloured toilet paper.

Way back in the late 80s, I worked for a small grocery store and we sold just one brand - Charmin. We would get a case of white and a case of assorted colors. We would have customers reserve a pack of a specific color to match their bathrooms.

Eventually it was phased out (in 2004) because the dyes were not good for your rear end.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Man, you kids with your fancy displays and multimedia presentations and what-not. When I was in high school, the pro-seat-belt-wearing assembly was just the local coroner with a slide show.

I took my glasses off for the assembly because I was squeamish, but to this day I still remember all of the screaming, and the one line: “Now, in this slide, you’ll see that the guy lying next to the van - his arm looks kind of funny. As you’ll see in this close-up *click* that’s because it’s no longer attached.” (dozens of students screaming)

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
America, are...are you......all right?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fish of hemp posted:

America, are...are you......all right?

You know we're not.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Coloured toilet paper.

I do try not to be a gross snob but buying fancy toilet paper has always struck me as the stupidest kind of performative wealth.
It's paper, for your butt.
Do not make this a marker for your social status.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I think coloured buttwipe was always marketed more as a decorating choice (I don't remember if it cost much more than the plain white) for the sort of people who want EVERYTHING in the room to be pink or yellow or whatever.

EDIT: which reminds me of one the weirder conversations I overheard in the smoking area at a previous job: one woman complaining to her friend that she'd asked her husband to get a box of tissues for (whichever room) while he was shopping, and she was INCENSED that he'd disregarded the room's colour scheme and just brought home something random. It was along the lines of "HE KNOWS THE LIVING ROOM IS BLUE AND BEIGE, YET HE GOT A PINK AND YELLOW BOX OF KLEENEX!" :byodame:

Edit part deux: found this article https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/colored-toilet-paper-history-255476

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 29, 2021

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
In Paul Fussell’s Class book he talks about middle class families always displaying their ambition in the bathroom: it’s the smallest room and guests will see it, so one can do their class signaling/striving in it for the lowest cost while guaranteeing that guests will spend some time admiring the aesthetics.

The Joneses will know we’re of high character since our bathrooms have the correct toilet paper color for the theme.

An interesting take he has is that the upper out of sight (not rich, but old school wealthy) and bottom out of sight (homeless, jobless poor) have more in common since they can go on a week bender and don’t care about brands. For the latter group they may buy the cheapest liquor, for the former, brands are for class signaling and if you have several summer homes you don’t need to prove anything: it’s vodka, who cares what the brand is.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 29, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Pookah posted:

I do try not to be a gross snob but buying fancy toilet paper has always struck me as the stupidest kind of performative wealth.

The hot new thing among those people is thinking their arse is too good for toilet paper and using wet wipes instead.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The North Tower posted:

In Paul Fussell’s Class book he talks about middle class families always displaying their ambition in the bathroom: it’s the smallest room and guests will see it, so one can do their class signaling/striving in it for the lowest cost while guaranteeing that guests will spend some time admiring the aesthetics.

The Joneses will know we’re of high character since our bathrooms have the correct toilet paper color for the theme.

An interesting take he has is that the upper out of sight (not rich, but old school wealthy) and bottom out of sight (homeless, jobless poor) have more in common since they can go on a week bender and don’t care about brands. For the latter group they may buy the cheapest liquor, for the former, brands are for class signaling and if you have several summer homes you don’t need to prove anything: it’s vodka, who cares what the brand is.

Kind of like how the UK's Princess Margaret was a whisky drinker, and apparently her lifelong favorite was The Famous Grouse - an entirely commonplace, inexpensive whisky. And she was definitely not a person who wanted to downplay class distinctions or act like she was just an ordinary person.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pookah posted:

Kind of like how the UK's Princess Margaret was a whisky drinker, and apparently her lifelong favorite was The Famous Grouse - an entirely commonplace, inexpensive whisky. And she was definitely not a person who wanted to downplay class distinctions or act like she was just an ordinary person.

I wish she was queen and not Liz.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Pookah posted:

My butthole deserves only the softest of caresses. :colbert:

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Way back in the late 80s, I worked for a small grocery store and we sold just one brand - Charmin. We would get a case of white and a case of assorted colors. We would have customers reserve a pack of a specific color to match their bathrooms.

Eventually it was phased out (in 2004) because the dyes were not good for your rear end.

I don't remember ever seeing colored toilet paper. Maybe it was a US only thing? Anyone else from Canada remember ever seeing it in stores?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I don't remember ever seeing colored toilet paper. Maybe it was a US only thing? Anyone else from Canada remember ever seeing it in stores?

Yes, my grandparents had it. I think it was in my house from time to time. I'm a hoser.

Pookah posted:

Why even bother with toilet paper? Use sand paper! that way your rear end in a top hat has a fresh layer of soft skin after every poo poo!!

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Dane here, I've seen pale green TP in public toilets now and again. Don't think I've seen them for sale at the grocery story, but then I just buy the cheapest paper there is :shrug:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Siivola posted:

My butthole deserves only the softest of caresses. :colbert:

I’ll caress it real softly :dance:

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
You mean gently caress.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Scott single ply is the worst and the bane of my childhood.

It’s like the only brand left on the shelf during shortages.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

When I was a kid, schools and other budget-conscious institutions still had supplies of that horrible light-brown greaseproof paper-esque toilet paper. I think it's all gone now, but that stuff was just plain dire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pookah posted:

When I was a kid, schools and other budget-conscious institutions still had supplies of that horrible light-brown greaseproof paper-esque toilet paper. I think it's all gone now, but that stuff was just plain dire

yeah, you don't need really fancy toilet paper but please at least get two-ply, your holes will thank you