Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

because it is from 20 year old books that have been available in english for at least 10 years. "i desperately want to know how the story ends, but not enough to actually find out" is some real bullshit.

How dare people not conduct themselves accordingly to your arbitrary timetable? :confused:

You can't reasonably assume everyone has consumed every bit of relevant media simply because it's "available". I've got a couple seasons of Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia to catch up on myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How dare people not conduct themselves accordingly to your arbitrary timetable? :confused:

You can't reasonably assume everyone has consumed every bit of relevant media simply because it's "available". I've got a couple seasons of Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia to catch up on myself.

how dare people not conduct themselves accordingly to your arbitrary spoiler rules? :confused:

imo it's polite to make an effort to spoil if you think someone would rather not see that info, but you gotta realize everyone has some amount of time in their brain where spoilers stop mattering. if someone was getting mad about ff7 spoilers i would lol at them, for instance

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I got spoiled on aeris dying before i played ff7r 😔

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Who knows if she even will now lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

I got spoiled on aeris dying before i played ff7r 😔

lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not even an important detail because mithril was already destroyed at the beginning of invisible victory. who gives a poo poo about the origin of a defunct organization?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah but you could just tag it tho

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Spoiler tags cost nothing, and if they can "just buy the books now" why would you still leave that unhidden before they've had a chance to read them?

It's literally a 20 year old spoiler that means nothing if you're not familiar with the plot. Do you think skinner explaining what steamed hams are ruins the Simpsons

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's a weird twist: Ranma and the others turn into whatever they fell into magical spring water. If there's something confusing in the series Ranma 1/2 it's probably because they tell into magical Chinese spring water

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bunch of folks ITT getting extremely mad at the idea of being considerate to people who haven't caught up on all the same media that they have.

The gently caress is it about people going 'hey, can you spoiler-tag this please' that makes goons go all HOW DARE YOU SIR?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Spoiler culture is fail.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Bunch of folks ITT getting extremely mad at the idea of being considerate to people who haven't caught up on all the same media that they have.

The gently caress is it about people going 'hey, can you spoiler-tag this please' that makes goons go all HOW DARE YOU SIR?

I think if you try to police someone’s behavior for some infraction they consider minor or nonexistent than you are going to get pushback that you won’t enjoy

I say this as someone who has gotten mad several times at people dropping LN spoilers for airing shows, because that is within my arbitrary definition of “an rear end in a top hat move”. This arbitrary definition is different for everyone and trying to change it for everyone to meet your standard is something I think you should understand is a Sisyphean task

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

In terms of classic "everyone tends to know this by now" stuff where do you think the line is drawn. Like should the spoiler be out in the open that Darth Vader is Luke and Leia's dad or is that hosed

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Aesop Poprock posted:

In terms of classic "everyone tends to know this by now" stuff where do you think the line is drawn. Like should the spoiler be out in the open that Darth Vader is Luke and Leia's dad or is that hosed

Pretty sure "I AM YOUR FATHER" is several dozen tiers of "everyone knows this" over late novel spoilers from Full Metal Panic, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Pretty sure "I AM YOUR FATHER" is several dozen tiers of "everyone knows this" over late novel spoilers from Full Metal Panic, so it doesn't matter anyway.

Yeah, lol if you think the non-animated bits of Full Metal Panic have anywhere near as much cultural saturation as one of the biggest multimedia franchises of all time. Just use some basic courtesy and discretion, sheesh.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Its not everyone else's responsibility to protect people from 20 year old spoilers lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah but you could just tag it tho

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

I think if you try to police someone’s behavior for some infraction they consider minor or nonexistent than you are going to get pushback that you won’t enjoy

I say this as someone who has gotten mad several times at people dropping LN spoilers for airing shows, because that is within my arbitrary definition of “an rear end in a top hat move”. This arbitrary definition is different for everyone and trying to change it for everyone to meet your standard is something I think you should understand is a Sisyphean task

It's not a "standard", it's just common sense and courtesy to recognise that not everyone's gonna becaught up on or finished the exact same thing you have. Spoiler tags cost nothing, and digging your heels in after the fact on something you could fix with a simple "whoops, sorry", just makes you the rear end in a top hat.

And yes, I do agree there's some stuff that has cultural penetration that's so deep and prevalent it's reasonable to assume people to already know it like Star Wars.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Would this be a good time to mention the spoiler in question isn't even true?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

whats this about a spider queen?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

Now you've just ruined FMP for real, smh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
lmfao

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Official translations for the back half didn't come out until this year with the last one scheduled for release next month so it's not out of the realm of possibility that someone would still be following it now on an English speaking forum.

Its not like it ruins it for me but I thought it would be neat to go into it fresh like when I was a kid who was way too into mechs and it was fun capturing that feeling when watching IV. Sorry for not reading the awful fan translations from after Boku Tachi dropped it I guess. I'll refrain from talking about shows I like here again.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Its not everyone else's responsibility to protect people from 20 year old spoilers

Extremely this. Also, context matters. It might make sense if there's a thread for an adaptation of an old property to use spoiler tags in that thread, for example.

Everyone bitchslapping each other over it just brings way more attention to it than just ignoring it or asking the user or a mod to spoiler tag it if it's really important.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Droyer posted:

Lmfao

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is it just me or is full dive rpg not as lovely as was expected? It's got the konosuba level fanservice going on but it seems to have a good sense of humor, an interesting story so far, and nothing really problematic has happened yet unless I just forgot already.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Julias posted:

Extremely this. Also, context matters. It might make sense if there's a thread for an adaptation of an old property to use spoiler tags in that thread, for example.

Everyone bitchslapping each other over it just brings way more attention to it than just ignoring it or asking the user or a mod to spoiler tag it if it's really important.

To clarify the first LN came out in 1998 but the last one was in 2010, with the translations for the non-adapted stuff coming out on June 25th.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i only know fmp for its stuff in super robot wars v where kurz meets banjo haran and gets mad about how all the women want to gently caress him, but then banjo haran gives a big speech about what it means to be a true man and kurz shouts "Whoa... I have my first man crush... and I like it!"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Reik posted:

Is it just me or is full dive rpg not as lovely as was expected? It's got the konosuba level fanservice going on but it seems to have a good sense of humor, an interesting story so far, and nothing really problematic has happened yet unless I just forgot already.

Nah, there are no stakes, so no dramatic tension despite the show acting like it exists. its also dumb that the protagonist's traumatic past is that they pissed themselves during a track meet. Well, I'll admit its slightly better than expected, but its still bad.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

i only know fmp for its stuff in super robot wars v where kurz meets banjo haran and gets mad about how all the women want to gently caress him, but then banjo haran gives a big speech about what it means to be a true man and kurz shouts "Whoa... I have my first man crush... and I like it!"

As he should. Banjo Haran is perfection.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Droyer posted:

this is the best way to cap things off

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Reik posted:

It’s been fun. I don’t know why people keep making GBS threads on it in this thread.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nah, there are no stakes, so no dramatic tension despite the show acting like it exists. its also dumb that the protagonist's traumatic past is that they pissed themselves during a track meet. Well, I'll admit its slightly better than expected, but its still bad.

The worst part is they keep dragging out pissing himself like it's supposed to be the funniest gag in the show when it's just not.

I think it's finally starting to go somewhere with the plot, but It's mostly just watching out of curiosity to see how lovely the game can go now tbh. I did like that the game's shittiest aspect is it will brick itself and your console if you die in the game.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Reik posted:

the past few episodes are definitely better, though it'll probably stay a very medium production that lives or dies on the particular bits and story progress of the week. i'm still let down by the track meet flashback, like it plays significantly less funny than it could if they put some excess into it like the recent ep's dash skill thing. if they keep delivering with stuff like Martin Time End i'll have a fine time though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Re Spoilers: Everyone should just google the Streisand Effect and realize the extra unneeded attention you're giving yourselves

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dogsicle posted:

the past few episodes are definitely better, though it'll probably stay a very medium production that lives or dies on the particular bits and story progress of the week. i'm still let down by the track meet flashback, like it plays significantly less funny than it could if they put some excess into it like the recent ep's dash skill thing. if they keep delivering with stuff like Martin Time End i'll have a fine time though.

I think the problem with the show is the game punched down a little too hard on the protagonist early on. It does a really good job of showing why it's an absolutely wretched videogame, but things snowball a little too far and bog down the first few episodes trying to recover. There's only 12-13 episodes to tell a story here, and we're only just now getting underway in earnest at the midpoint.

I do like the insinuation that Kamui's not just beaten the game, he seems to have 100%'d it given he knows of the Goblin Invasion and a bunch of other ways to leave Ted.

I think there's a missed opportunity for the Hell's Fruit Slicer to actually work out in the player's favour as a hard-to-pull trick for the game, though maybe it'll get there anyway; "Kill your best friend ASAP, make it look like an accident, then apologize under the big tree while evading the female best friend in her boosted state, and talk her down. Her stats will still be boosted, but she'll flag for party recruitment again for an early bonus"

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

The Colonel posted:

you've watched one mediocre show you had no reason to get invested in in the history of a guy who's written on lots of classic and beloved anime. actually have you even watched gundam wing are you just cursed to watch any random sequels the guy wrote to 90s anime he worked on

however, i shall retract this if it turns out the eps of sailor moon s the guy wrote were the ones where everyone gets terrified for 20 minutes about the idea of having a lesbian crush

I have watched Gundam Wing, and even nostalgia can't disguise the fact that the plot is completely off the wall bananas. Frozen Teardrop is like the plot to Wing on bad acid.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I don't care.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007
Injection-Molded

The Colonel posted:

I don't care.

Then why bother having any conversation at all?

What's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's anime, having off the wall plots when done well is a feature!

I probably should rewatch Kanazuki no Miko especially with the new manga out but I keep putting it off much like rewatching Mai Hime. Probably cause I'm not sure if it'd hold up for me like say...Nanoha season 1 does