Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You can with certain materia. The parry materia specifically can cancel a lot of attack wind down animations into a dodge(with splash damage)

It's why I specifically mentioned "late game" Tifa and Cloud when talking up the game's action cred. You can go ham on enemies in uninterrupted combos like a 3rd person character action game once you've collected most weapons, moves, and Materia (and levelled up some of them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's a small group of Spider-Man combat enthusiasts on YouTube and one of the guys just put out a compilation video of combos and creative moves from most of us. If you're interested in advanced stuff for either the first game or Miles Morales, check it out! (My contributions start around 2:38)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRL2beLnTA

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any way whatsoever to change/choose your own activity cards?

I'm trying to do these returnal surveys and this (from polygon, not mine) would be really useful right now, but I have no idea how to look at progress. I can't do it through trophies, the current activity is something else I'm not worried about right now. Everything about PS5's activity system confuses the gently caress out of me tbh.

Also I have 100% done everything for the survey in Biome one and no trophy has popped, So I dunno whats up with that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've read that for some of Returnal's trophies you can turn the game to offline mode, quit the game, restart the PS5, turn the game back on returning to online mode and sometimes that makes a double check happen that'll fix it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what the gently caress, do you also have to draw a chalk circle and kill something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
scout log 9's stymied me. i don't feel like rerunning the first biome fifty times to get that single room to spawn

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
ive done about 15 runs of biome 1 post patch, I still only see the same exact blue triangle rooms in slightly different orders, it`s incredibly stupid bow the room has never spawned with log 9

oh and i'm about 104 hours into the game

infraboy fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 22, 2021

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Wtf happened to granblue fantasy relink

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

infraboy posted:

ive done about 15 runs of biome 1 post patch, I still only see the same exact blue triangle rooms in slightly different orders, it`s incredibly stupid bow the room has never spawned with log 9

oh and i'm about 104 hours into the game

Oxxidation posted:

scout log 9's stymied me. i don't feel like rerunning the first biome fifty times to get that single room to spawn

I got Scout Log 9 after about 20 hours but yeah it's an absolute slog with no apparent end in sight until suddenly you open a blue triangle door and it's there. I fiddled a lot with what I assume are RNG 'seeds' by quitting the game and reloading to try and force a different set of rooms to spawn, specifically I did that a lot in biome 2 and I'd get the same sorts of room to spawn but then quit/reload and this one room stopped appearing for a long time and so forth.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Imhotep posted:

Good question. This is from January:

https://grandcypher.com/2021/01/11/letter-from-the-director-2021-part-2/ posted:

We’re going to focus our full efforts on development in 2021, so please be patient while waiting for more information – expect no new information until the year is over. Once the calendar rolls over to 2022, we plan to start releasing more information and promotional materials as the leadup to release.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I picked up Resident Evil Village PS4 from a local place on clearance. VERY surprised how cheap it was.

This is good, right? Not big into horror games...is it more of a thriller-type thing?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I picked up Resident Evil Village PS4 from a local place on clearance. VERY surprised how cheap it was.

This is good, right? Not big into horror games...is it more of a thriller-type thing?

yes it is good. no, theres no horror or jump scares. def not in any doll houses either, no. just shooting wolfmans.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

So the general flow of the game is that there are four lords you have to take down, in a linear fashion. Each one has a different flavor to them. Some lean more horror while others lean more action. No part wears out it's welcome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

I must have gotten lucky because I just had it at the point I started paying attention to that stuff. I'm missing 3 scout logs though and have had no luck finding them, even where reddit says they are, so I'm not out of the woods yet.

Really wasn't even planning on going for the plat, but all I need is 3 scout logs and about a dozen cyphers across biomes 2-6. I feel like if they are going to make the plat reliant on RNG they should really have something going on under the hood that prioritizes spawning the stuff that you need. It seems really unfair that some people get it super easy and some people just end up searching forever.

The cyphers need a unique map icon and the scout logs shouldn't be the same logo as dead players as well. It's exhausting pouring over every item on the map to make sure it isn't a cypher and constantly checking every other player to make sure it isn't a log.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 22, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: was thinking of scout log 10 not 9

For Scout Log 9 you gotta go through biome 1 and pick up any and all parasites you can, I believe. The log itself is about parasites so if you have some on you it should hopefully trigger that one to show up

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It’s a great game. Some parts are a bit scary but most of them are more actiony or mystery + sensationalistic than anything. If you have kids, when you get to the dollhouse let them in on the exploration. They might enjoy the extra attention put into the dolls and the like.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Village is totally worth playing, but I'm gonna throw out the controversial opinion that it it's not one of the better recent efforts in the series. There's plenty to like but it's sort novel. RE2 remake and RE7 are so much better. RE3 remake is way worse than Village though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

It is very much a horror game. The areas are based on different oldschool horror themes, it has jumpscares and sudden gore and running and hiding until the horrible thing goes away, it could not be further in the "horror" genre.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It felt to me like Village lost steam in the second half, in terms of the graphics, environments and boss fights. Like they spent 2X more time on the castle than on the fortress and dredged lake.

In the case of the lake level, it could just be that the water effects look kinda bad in contrast to the photorealistic lighting, but the green slime in particular looked really, really bad, like a PS2 or PS3 texture.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
That's because Moreau is blind.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Its cool that they let him design his own level

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I appreciate their diversity initiatives.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah after the doll house the game goes from truly great to just good.
The drop off at the end of 7 hit lower lows i think.

A lot of RE games suffer in the transition from spooky cool puzzle box house to linear combat heavy finale

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I haven't finished RE8 but the game feels a lot less deliberately designed like 7 was, at least on standard. Enemy density is not that high, but you still have all the ammo you could ever want without buying or crafting any, and you basically have infinite inventory space. The bosses I've killed so far have also been complete jokes.

I'm enjoying the game and all but it's ultimately more in it's aesthetic then its gameplay.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

First half of RE8 is some of the best horror I’ve ever played. Nearly flawless, just expertly designed and executed. Second half averages out to above average/pretty cool if not mindblowing. Definitely some frustrating uninspired parts. Nowhere near the same constant awe of the first few sections. That said by the end the game pulls out so much entertaining crazy poo poo that it raised my love of the game back to my initial first half experience. It’s still more enjoyable than any horror game I’ve played in a very long time unless we count Little Nightmares, I really enjoyed that one.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

smoobles posted:

It felt to me like Village lost steam in the second half, in terms of the graphics, environments and boss fights. Like they spent 2X more time on the castle than on the fortress and dredged lake.

There were some tense and frantic scheduling meetings after the big lady meme took off

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Apparently RE8 development was kind of a mess and tons of stuff got cut. It’s still super good though

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

smoobles posted:

In the case of the lake level, it could just be that the water effects look kinda bad in contrast to the photorealistic lighting, but the green slime in particular looked really, really bad, like a PS2 or PS3 texture.

hmm kinda sounds like re2make where everything after the police station is still good but the police station is like :perfect:, except the part about the graphics.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man is returnal biome 4 supposed to be ball bustingly hard?? I was able to get through 3 with some practice and power ups, as well as basically just running past the very final encounter before the boss because screw that.

Now that I'm in four, the enemies are crazy and aggressive and a single room has the potential to wipe out most of my health. Ughhh do I just need to keep practicing I feel so fragile every time I'm doing another run.

This was not the fun twist I was expecting lmao in fact I was mildly disappointed that this level is just a color palette swap of the first one

If this trend continues for the remaining levels I'm going to raise my eyebrows at that price point. Game is still very fun just ugh I might be hitting the limits as to how good I am at FPS games

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Man is returnal biome 4 supposed to be ball bustingly hard?? I was able to get through 3 with some practice and power ups, as well as basically just running past the very final encounter before the boss because screw that.

Now that I'm in four, the enemies are crazy and aggressive and a single room has the potential to wipe out most of my health. Ughhh do I just need to keep practicing I feel so fragile every time I'm doing another run.

This was not the fun twist I was expecting lmao in fact I was mildly disappointed that this level is just a color palette swap of the first one

If this trend continues for the remaining levels I'm going to raise my eyebrows at that price point. Game is still very fun just ugh I might be hitting the limits as to how good I am at FPS games

you're locked to proficiency 15 now, so your guns are going to be getting pretty nuts in short order (and you'll be introduced to our lord and savior the electropylon gun). just keep at it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Imo 4 is the most inconsistent Biome in the game. It can be a cake walk or trollishly hard depending on how the rng gods are feeling.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Fair enough I'll trust the process. Crazy to think how some goons managed to get through this on the same week and in like 40 hours or less apparently and I'm still struggling through biome 4!

In other news I beat Yakuza 0, although I just mainlined the story so who knows how much of the true experience I got, and have moved on to Yakuza kiwami 2. Loving my japanese crime drama novella games but that first boss in kiwami 2 was kind of dog poo poo. I already miss zero's gameplay, I remember having some pretty miserable times with Yakuza kiwami 1. I know they're older games but I would describe the gameplay during combat as not exactly fun

Also the drop to 30 frames per second due to the new engine was extremely jarring and upsetting at first!! Once I got used to it I really appreciate the nicer visuals, realistic games really benefit from nicer assets. Still, would have been nice if they would have patched it to take advantage of the PS5

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also Biome 4 and 5 are what I would call "more than a pallete swap, less than totally new." Yes 4 is a remixed version of 1 and 5 is a remixed version of 2, but beyond the visual changes, both of them are about 50% unique rooms. So they never feel too samey imo, but they don't have the impact of going from say, biome 2 to 3. 6 is totally new

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
drat yeah I was afraid that would be the case when I saw the portal that would probably take me to 5. Oh well still my favorite PS5 game because it's really my only true PS5 game but the point stands, I enjoy shooting and dodging and dying in this game

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Fair enough I'll trust the process. Crazy to think how some goons managed to get through this on the same week and in like 40 hours or less apparently and I'm still struggling through biome 4!

In other news I beat Yakuza 0, although I just mainlined the story so who knows how much of the true experience I got, and have moved on to Yakuza kiwami 2. Loving my japanese crime drama novella games but that first boss in kiwami 2 was kind of dog poo poo. I already miss zero's gameplay, I remember having some pretty miserable times with Yakuza kiwami 1. I know they're older games but I would describe the gameplay during combat as not exactly fun

Also the drop to 30 frames per second due to the new engine was extremely jarring and upsetting at first!! Once I got used to it I really appreciate the nicer visuals, realistic games really benefit from nicer assets. Still, would have been nice if they would have patched it to take advantage of the PS5

Kiwami 2 is so much better than Kiwami 1 so you're in for a good time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Imhotep posted:

Basically a way too ambitious first title for a completely new studio? For the last 3-4 years the only thing that looks complete is the combat which Platinum worked on super early.

Talking off Platinum I hope we see Babylon's Fall at e3. The combat looked fun the last time they showed it but there was no Platinum charm and it looked like a tech demo.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Kiwami 2 is so much better than Kiwami 1 so you're in for a good time.

Ya Yakuza 0 to Kiwami 1 was so freaking disappointing, almost same plot beats and way less content, worse minigames. Kiwami 2 is AMAZING, so freaking over the top(Osaka Castle), the antagonist Ryuji is so much better than Nishki and the final fight is as epic as 0's.. Nishki was only interesting due to 0 actually giving him a character

Ulio fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 22, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I actually played kiwami one before zero and I'm glad I did. I thought the story was pretty cool, the combat was just jank and extremely 2010s. But being my first Yakuza game the weaker aspects of it weren't as glaring to me, I was just enjoying this weird new setting (for me)

Had I played zero first yeah kiwami 1 would have felt horrible.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Kiwami 2 is like $9 in PS Store rn, I may nab it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think K1 is trash it's just a not particularly changed remaster of a 16 year old PS2 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Kiwami has some improvements over the original (like being able to change directions mid-combo without having to unlock it) but it’s still Yakuza1 at heart, and the pre-Y2 jank that comes along with it