Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Renegret posted:

Very much this.

And the chicken moves fast enough that I'm never worried about grabbing a chicken that's been under the heating lamp for 8 hours.

Even if it's not moving fast enough they'll pull it off the shelf after a while (2 hours I think?) and replace it with new ones.

skipdogg posted:

They do this at my Costco as well. There's no scanning gun at the self checkout, so I have to wait for someone to come scan the heavy stuff like cat litter and water softener salt. I asked the employee why they did it that way, and they said Costco wants that employee interaction at the self checkout.

Personally I think it's so they have a chance to sell Executive Memberships to people as they check out. It doesn't make self checkout any faster that's for sure.

I think it's more that they don't want the self checkout to take away the job of a cashier. And I'm pretty sure they don't try to sell membership upgrades at the self checkout. I agree with you though, they should have hand scanners at each self checkout register like they do at Home Depot. But I guess having an employee come over to scan your heavy stuff for you is another way to cut down on theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Been using a digital meat thermometer the past year or so to get my chicken around 170-180 and its perfecto.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
edit: Nevermind, lame joke.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 21, 2021

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

fizzymercury posted:

I like my chicken overcooked so I reheat my Costco chickens until they're crispy outside and cotton-dry in the middle. The salt gets reduced into the meat so much it's almost like jerky. Judging by this thread there's more shoe leather enthusiasts like me.

:stare:

...do you use, like, a sauce when you're eating the husk?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like an under cooked chicken is a easy fix if you just jab a meat thermometer in there to make sure the chicken is actually cooked. Throw it in the oven for like 5 mins or something.

But i understand the issue that if you go to a store to buy a cooked chicken and the chicken isnt cooked throughly then whats the point in buying undercooked chickens?!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Yes and I hate it. It really sucks to try and shop, especially in the snack section, because the aisles are already only 4' wide or so and I get sick of navigating around wide-eyed "oh fruit by the foot I wonder what this exotic delicacy tastes like" crowds. The best thing about the pandemic was the removal of the sample stations.

Call me a heretic, but I'd trade onion dispenser for removal of all sample stations in a goddamned heartbeat.

Now they just hand out sealed, pre-packaged things as I deliberate whether it is worth diving into Night of the Living Dead for a box of granola bars.

Edit: sorry, sex master, for being a grump and destroying your memories.

Nah it's cool - I don't expect everyone to agree with me, just most people ;)

but I actually do agree that the onion dispenser > all. Idk what it is about those particular onions, but they just work for Costco hot dogs

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Oh I interpreted the post as 'I dislike samples so much, I would be willing to give up the onion dispenser to get rid of them' which truly would be a heretical statement.

If the post was 'I would trade getting the onion dispenser back for removing samples' then that's an orthodox belief, IMO.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Bloodplay it again posted:

Yes and I hate it. It really sucks to try and shop, especially in the snack section, because the aisles are already only 4' wide or so and I get sick of navigating around wide-eyed "oh fruit by the foot I wonder what this exotic delicacy tastes like" crowds. The best thing about the pandemic was the removal of the sample stations.

Call me a heretic, but I'd trade onion dispenser for removal of all sample stations in a goddamned heartbeat.

Now they just hand out sealed, pre-packaged things as I deliberate whether it is worth diving into Night of the Living Dead for a box of granola bars.

Edit: sorry, sex master, for being a grump and destroying your memories.

I have always really disliked the samples as well. Once in a rare while it's something I'd be interested in trying, but then there is a big line for them anyway. I usually want to go on non sample days because it annoys the hell out of me, but then my wife complains that ruins the fun.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

AKZ posted:

:stare:

...do you use, like, a sauce when you're eating the husk?
Bitchin' sauce, yes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

*screen fades in to pieces of papyrus floating in a dark puddle, only the slight light of the moon as illumination*

Fizzy: I just got hungry and I have no idea why

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

fizzymercury posted:

Bitchin' sauce, yes.

Honestly given the thread this makes so much sense and I should have known.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

low key sex master posted:

Is Costco doing samples again yet? When I was younger and lived literally next door to the world's largest costco my saturday breakfast was always costco samples and I miss them dearly :(

Not here.

I really feel bad for the people who can't give out samples. They just stand there with food in a display case. Like.... I can look on the box and see the same thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought some of these things and they're pretty good imo. Added some chicken and veggies to the tikka masala and then there wasn't really enough sauce and it was too thick so threw some coconut milk in it and turned out great. Vindaloo I just threw some sauteed tofu in it and it was also good.

Here's the vindaloo and tofu (and homemade saag paneer and naan)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Not here.

I really feel bad for the people who can't give out samples. They just stand there with food in a display case. Like.... I can look on the box and see the same thing.

Yeah it sucks but at the same time it is cool that costco doesn’t lay them off. So it may be a bit of a sucky boring time for them now but they have their jobs and it probably means that costco figures the samples will be back at some point.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah I appreciate that they kept them on. It's just kinda sad looking. :(

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I know it isn't popular but I often won't commit to a new, costco-sized purchase of a thing unless I can sample it, first. I've bought lots of things I wouldn't have otherwise, because I was seduced by a sample.

THAT BEING SAID, my 'Co isn't super busy like ones I've been to in other states. You might have a line 3-deep for samples, at worst. My opinion would change if my local Costco was Henderson, Nevada. I've never been in a madhouse like that, before.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The samples were always the number one reason why I never shopped at costco on weekends, combined with just more people going on weekends in general.

Having multiple families blocking all the aisles used to be pretty annoying when I just want to grab my stuff and get out on the one errand/grocery day I get out of the week. Gonna make me even more uncomfortable during covid with crowds pulling off their masks to try a single tortilla chip with the newest salsa.

Although there have been many times where samples enticed me to buy something new. Now I just rely on word of mouth. Like thanks to this thread I've been eating a lot of orange chicken for my lunches, and I really enjoy the morimoto ramen.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
gently caress samples.
They allow the worst people at Costco to affect everyone else in an asymmetric way.
You ever hear some old white dude immediately just start yelling "SHES STEALING MY CART, SHES STEALING MY CART"? I have, because my wife dared to move his cart he just left in the middle of the goddamn aisle, sideways, for a sample 10 feet away.

Costco rules, their customers in my very white, old area are poo poo from a butt.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

KakerMix posted:

gently caress samples.
They allow the worst people at Costco to affect everyone else in an asymmetric way.
You ever hear some old white dude immediately just start yelling "SHES STEALING MY CART, SHES STEALING MY CART"? I have, because my wife dared to move his cart he just left in the middle of the goddamn aisle, sideways, for a sample 10 feet away.

Costco rules, their customers in my very white, old area are poo poo from a butt.

If someone did this to me I was start a fight right there.

I have 0 patience for people who block isles.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'd probably actually "steal" it, run and cackle as I leave it in the next aisle.

See if I can get him to pull a gun, or something.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I had a woman wander off with my cart once. I had to find her two aisles over to trade carts back. We had wildly different things in our carts so I assume she was suffering situational blindness at the time. She left her baby bag in the thing. When I returned it she was actively rude about it until I slowly explained the situation while gesturing wildly at her stuff.

Then she was grateful and hugged me to thank me and I'm still unhappy about it.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

I'll never forget the small well dressed older asian man who would hoover up whole trays of costco samples. I watched him clear out a tray of meatballs and then reach around back of the display and grab one out of the pan on the hotplate. He was grinning the whole time.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

AKZ posted:

I'll never forget the small well dressed older asian man who would hoover up whole trays of costco samples. I watched him clear out a tray of meatballs and then reach around back of the display and grab one out of the pan on the hotplate. He was grinning the whole time.
This guy is my hero.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Those meatballs are for everyone

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That man should have been arrested and sentenced to a year in a Sams Club

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

KakerMix posted:

gently caress samples.

I've never had a negative experience with samples, the hate always confuses me. I get a snack and it's all good. Maybe my area is more respectful about their carts.

That being said, I'm moving Costco's in a month so may be singing a different tune when they return.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

TraderStav posted:

I've never had a negative experience with samples, the hate always confuses me. I get a snack and it's all good. Maybe my area is more respectful about their carts.

:same:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gently caress samples.

WHERES THE FUKIN ONION DISPENSER YOU BITCHES

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
They call me 2 snacks cuz i take 2 snacks

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

TraderStav posted:

That being said, I'm moving Costco's in a month so may be singing a different tune when they return.

I've never had a negative experience with samples, only with the people crowding the sample areas and causing log jams. I just want to get by and grab my box of CTC and there are 30 people standing around trying an Oreo like it is the first time they've ever heard of a cookie.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

El Jebus posted:

I've never had a negative experience with samples, only with the people crowding the sample areas and causing log jams. I just want to get by and grab my box of CTC and there are 30 people standing around trying an Oreo like it is the first time they've ever heard of a cookie.

Yeah, still haven't had that happen. I can see how that would suck if it occurred frequently.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, still haven't had that happen. I can see how that would suck if it occurred frequently.

I've only had it happen down here in the socal desert where 4/5ths of the shoppers are over 70 on some days (the Rancho Mirage location was also #1 in booze sales for a few years, don't know if that is still true though). Groups of old people also gather in the middle of the main arteries and just push all their carts together like garbage island and just have a chat for 20 minutes while people try to squeeze by.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I'll take samples over onions any day of the week. :colbert:

I don't like raw onions but honestly it is cool if you do.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
My niece just had her first hot dog ever and it was a Costco dog.

The rest of her life is downhill

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

jisforjosh posted:

My niece just had her first hot dog ever and it was a Costco dog.

The rest of her life is downhill

There is a glimmer of hope in her life, the onion dispenser is out there

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Ror posted:

There is a glimmer of hope in her life, the onion dispenser is out there

I believe

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

pnumoman posted:

I believe

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

pnumoman posted:

I believe

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

pnumoman posted:

I believe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i bought a $70 packer brisket and $30 of short ribs last time i went to costco. i just felt i should announce this