Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Detective No. 27 posted:

Less Fat Luke, did you consider contacting a journalist about your friend's Facebook account? Dead people ad pages seems like one of those things that probably happens a lot without people knowing and Facebook probably won't do poo poo about unless it goes viral. Like what happened with the Pregnant Elsa Spiderman videos on YouTube a few years back.
I emailed a few when this happened (about five years ago) but none were interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1395747096142094339?s=21
“subscription law enforcement service”

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reminder that the Citizen app was originally called “Vigilante” but had to be renamed because people were taking it literally.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1395717296283344896

quote:

Employees will need to get over these hang-ups because the technology is necessary for safety and saves companies money, industry sources and consultants said.

:thermidor:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

withak posted:

Reminder that the Citizen app was originally called “Vigilante” but had to be renamed because people were taking it literally.

They still are, Citizen put out a $30k reward for the capture of a person the police had already cleared.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sadly presence sensors are perhaps the least invasive things companies can implement.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe they can weigh each employee and use it for authentication

duz
Jul 11, 2005

"Unexpected employee in the bagging area"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Just install gait recognition systems so you know each employee is taking an efficient route to the bathroom.

Corporate dystopia is going to get so out of hand. it makes me think of Snowcrash and the way that working for the government was portrayed.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

If they think the boss watching will stop me from cranking it at work they're in for a very sensual surprise

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

duz posted:

They still are, Citizen put out a $30k reward for the capture of a person the police had already cleared.

I’m sorry, what the gently caress?? So if that person is “captured”, they get to face kidnapping charges, right?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m sorry, what the gently caress?? So if that person is “captured”, they get to face kidnapping charges, right?

Well you see, the kidnapper was an IC who violated our no-kidnapping policy so we’re not liable, and the captive was carried away in a rented Uber, so by getting into the backseat he agreed to binding arbitration...

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

What’s the big deal? The FLIR pointed at your crotch is only to see if someone is in the seat.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Now the company can know exactly the moment when I'm dead inside and will agree to anything

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Solkanar512 posted:

If the prosecutor doesn't decline to prosecute, sure.

Take a guess how likely that one is.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

It's ok, 15 hours later the company finally removed him from their app and apologized for not talking to the police or following their own internal controls beforehand.
If you're not coordinating with the police but offering money for the arrest of someone anyways, you're really just encouraging violence.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And kidnapping. Don't forget kidnapping.

And probably assault.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The infinite scroll of websites like the Facebook feed or YouTube recommendations are like a slot machine for your attention, no?

If you get caught in that loop of scrolling down looking for something interesting, it's like you're pulling down the lever or scroll bar in the hope that the algorithm will give you a jackpot. It's completely Pavlovian.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It's kind of like that, I guess, but the jackpot is $.50 and every other possible payout is an annoying buzzer. I will never understand how people tolerate that poo poo.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/J__Velasquez/status/1395856599613415424

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ah anotjer corporate style Safeway union

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Can we have union?”

“We have union at home.”

Union at home:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

and they're gonna keep pulling it out as an example of the left being impossible to please

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
I've never quite understood how banning or constraining unions is consitutional.

Seems like a freedom of association issue.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

The Artificial Kid posted:

I've never quite understood how banning or constraining unions is consitutional.

these giant wads of cash that mysteriously found their way into my pockets say otherwise also you just had your brain splattered across the road by a private security contractor's truncheon for trespassing on private property

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I mean, in Canada it is a constitutional issue, in just that way.

The US is just special.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Unions are pretty recent, if the depression didn't happen they may have never been allowed

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
New York gig workers can have a little union, as a treat.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You get a union, but it isn't allowed to organize anything.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Means‐tested access to unions

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I Can't Believe It's Not Union!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Feels like it would have been simpler to just list things they ARE allowed.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The US is like a joke. Like everything is terrible the world over, but the US always has the way to be the most terrible. At least when it comes to capitalism and/or racism.

A union without the right to strike. Only in the USA friends.

E: And it's not even like they can use the bullshit "essential service" excuse like when they mandate teachers back to work. These are gig workers. Is Uber an essential service now? That's gonna be a problem when it finally goes belly-up, isn't it.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The barrier to entry in this space is insanely low imo. The hard work is already done. Reverse engineer the app if Google doesn't already have an API pre-made, then offer drivers 1% more than they currently get. The rest is just marketing

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Couldn't you make an Uber app that cuts out management entirely? Like, in theory all you really need is a system that notifies nearby drivers of a potential job, and allow people to pay through the app right?

You only need to cover a couple servers and a code monkey; take one percent from every transaction when there's hundreds a day, let the drivers keep the rest, and boom: it's self-sustaining, and no one is actually employed by anyone.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 22, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mister Facetious posted:

Couldn't you make an Uber app that cuts out management entirely? Like, in theory all you really need is a system that notifies nearby drivers of a potential job, and allow people to pay through the app right?

You only need to cover a couple servers and a code monkey; take one percent from every transaction when there's hundreds a day, let the drivers keep the rest, and boom: it's self-sustaining, and no one is actually employed by anyone.

And when you take a ride with someone who has an app of their own, isn't insured, and you get into an accident, then what? Buyer beware?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

people don't want to actually pay what it costs to keep a pool of servants around ready to drive them anywhere at a moment's notice. uber/lyft only managed it by setting a mountain of saudi oil money on fire

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Oneiros posted:

people don't want to actually pay what it costs to keep a pool of servants around ready to drive them anywhere at a moment's notice. uber/lyft only managed it by setting a mountain of saudi oil money on fire

Not saying you have to charge more, just match uber prices but give 99% of it to the drivers.

Silly Burrito posted:

And when you take a ride with someone who has an app of their own, isn't insured, and you get into an accident, then what? Buyer beware?

Doesn't Uber already put all responsibility on the driver in the first place?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Kinda but not entirely.

I used to run the cs team for the drivers for a food delivery company and we were heavily involved. Background checks on everybody driving and dealing with legal issues when they arose. You can’t be entirely removed from what the gig folks do, but they certainly tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

People also tend to pretty greatly underestimate what "some coders and servers" cost when you're operating at any kind of scale.