Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mister Facetious posted:

Not saying you have to charge more, just match uber prices but give 99% of it to the drivers.

Doesn't Uber already put all responsibility on the driver in the first place?

I believe Uber currently pays drivers MORE than the revenue, because they're blowing through VC capital to try to run any competitors out of business and then make themselves the only game in town. You're somewhat constrained by the network effect on this too.

Also, lol if you think "uh guys it's JUST a FEW servers and a couple nerds, how hard could this be?" when Uber is now (unfortunately) one of the top tech talent pools.

P.S. your drivers will come with a $50 phone that was last updated 4 years ago, enjoy the absolute hell of compatibility with older devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This is just a bizarre "bing bong so simple" take

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
You need marketing, so people know you exist. You need some compliance, gathering and filing details about drivers and their DL details. Regular maintenance of the app is probably a good idea too.

But yeah, without either the mountain of burning money or massive overhead reductions, Uber is gonna get it's lunch eaten (and is right now, where I live)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
For context, I live in New Zealand, where the taxi industry was completely deregulated in the 90's. We did our version of Reaganomics/Thatchernomics properly, to the point where when Uber first came here, they initially did the whole "rules don't apply to us" thing but when they realised how easy compliance was they just did it.

People flocked to it immediately, because the Uber app is actually quite good, and beat calling a cab and hoping like poo poo it would come. But now we have at least 4 companies in the space (Didi, Ola, Uber and a local version) and Uber is rapidly losing market share.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Volmarias posted:

I believe Uber currently pays drivers MORE than the revenue,

Well that's hosed up, because they're at least ten to fifteen years away from reliably safe driving AI. I hope they have some deep pockets. :munch:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

Well that's hosed up, because they're at least ten to fifteen years away from reliably safe driving AI. I hope they have some deep pockets. :munch:

Uber is no longer developing self-driving cars.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Uber is no longer developing self-driving cars.

:what:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that basing your economic plan on that of the Underpants Gnomes is not a recipe for long term success.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
uber sold off its self driving division because that was just a nice fictional story to tell investors anyway - even if a genie made a perfect level 5 self driving car tomorrow, ubers business model is completely incompatible with self driving cars. sure they can "cut out the labor cost" of the driver but the driver isn't just labor, the driver also assumes all fiscal responsibility for the vehicle they provide. it would cost big big money to stand up the infrastructure necessary for uber to own and maintain these vehicles, or if uber just contracts out other people's self driving cars then uber is just one of many interchangable middlemen to be discarded once a better middleman comes along. basically a world with self driving cars is a world where anyone who has a car already has their own uber, so you're basically renting out anyone else's car i guess, and why would you need uber specifically for that once it is even easier for anyone to do their own silly taxi business?

in fact, i think the whole "cut out the labor cost" is just the cliche reason for how automation will boost profits. "cut labor cost, bing bong, so number!" is the obvious thought but if you think about it for a bit, uber is better off in a world without self driving cars (because then driving remains enough of a pain in the rear end to where you'd prefer to just hire someone to drive you somewhere)

regardless, the pandemic hit uber pretty hard and they couldn't afford the happy fiction of self driving cars being a magical path to solvency

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 22, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Also, I'm not saying we'll never get to the point of having an AI that can navigate a street scene as well as a human brain, but lol if you think we are even close to it. Let alone one that could react with the speed a human does in judging whether that thing ahead is really a truck or just a light patch of sky.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that basing your economic plan on that of the Underpants Gnomes is not a recipe for long term success.

The ??? Step is "achieve monopoly status in the local market, charge monopoly prices"

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Volmarias posted:

The ??? Step is "achieve monopoly status in the local market, charge monopoly prices"
Still ??? because the step before that was "smash all regulatory barriers to starting and running a new app dispatched taxi company" and the industry cost of entry is small

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Long term success hasn't been anyone's goal for decades now, it barely matters what bullshit you make up for investors.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Silly Burrito posted:

And when you take a ride with someone who has an app of their own, isn't insured, and you get into an accident, then what? Buyer beware?

That's Uber's model. They don't check the drivers more than legally required which is usually not at all and if there's a problem, the driver has violated the TOS and so it's not Uber's problem.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

duz posted:

That's Uber's model. They don't check the drivers more than legally required which is usually not at all and if there's a problem, the driver has violated the TOS and so it's not Uber's problem.

Even then, you can technically still bring a lawsuit against Uber (and yes, I know you can file a lawsuit against anyone, doesn't mean you'll win) instead of just a random person.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The rich and poor alike have equal access to the courts.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just sue them and spend the next 8 years in various courtrooms, idgi.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://libretaxi.org/ already exists, everyone.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

xtal posted:

quote:

Cash only
No credit cards. Drivers get paid directly with cash. BitCoin integration is on the way!

Get hired instantly
No credit approval process. No vehicle restrictions. Start making money as a driver in one minute!

Battery friendly
With no GPS tracking goes easy on your phone's battery. Simple and minimalistic UI is implemented based on Telegram.

Truly the transportation system of the future.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well of course it's cash only with Bitcoin coming. I hope I can tip in Doge.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
jumping through hoops to reinvent the jitney taxi

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Uber's actual reason to exist was to utilize large wads of Saudi money to make Prop 22 a thing. Then to push it National. The actual taxiing they don't care about.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

xtal posted:

i get what its trying to say but loudly proclaiming that it's hackable maybe not the best marketing

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
GPS and cashless is like the main reasons to use Uber.

Next idea: in order to guarantee driver income, only those who buy a licence can drive a taxi, be in quick stocks are limited!!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’ve often wished that there was an Uber with no way to tell whose car I was about to hop onto, no way to track the location of this stranger’s car that I am in, and also I have to pay in cash only.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

withak posted:

I’ve often wished that there was an Uber with no way to tell whose car I was about to hop onto, no way to track the location of this stranger’s car that I am in, and also I have to pay in cash only.

It's really popular in rural north Ireland.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So these drivers are just going around carrying lots of cash and you can call them to come to you?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Senor Tron posted:

So these drivers are just going around carrying lots of cash and you can call them to come to you?

Or you could be a driver who carries no cash and wait for people with cash to call you instead. It's entirely up to you how you want to use the app.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It's really popular in rural north Ireland.

You say that but I live about 20 miles outside Belfast and literally the only taxi I can persuade to come to my house of a weekend is UBer. Which led to this fantastic text from a friend who left my house the other evening

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1396923429807292417

We're watching chekhov's police department play out in real life.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

xarph posted:

Sounds like the CEO needs to be arrested for kidnapping so they can dig up all the bodies under his basement.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

xarph posted:

A literal child's understanding of how the Justice system works*

* And how the CIA actually operate

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The app should figure out how to legally consider its customers part of an interstate railroad so it’d all be legal.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

hobbesmaster posted:

The app should figure out how to legally consider its customers part of an interstate railroad so it’d all be legal.

:hmmyes: I'm all for it so long as we start to increase the number of trains we run across these new railroads...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You might get arrested for not bringing your trash cans in, but at least the trains run on time.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

leave it to a tech bro to invent an underground railroad that puts people INTO slavery

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

xarph posted:

It's only a matter of time. The fact that actual police departments don't make a profit for anyone will be their downfall. Public money going to make people rich is how the American system works now.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

xarph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/alexisohanian/status/1396869330877526021?s=21
Ok the NFTs were one thing but this... I really don’t understand this

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

aware of dog posted:

https://twitter.com/alexisohanian/status/1396869330877526021?s=21
Ok the NFTs were one thing but this... I really don’t understand this

This is less stupid than the NFTs.

It's still stupid, but it's more in the vein of star citizen or gaia online. It's old school digital status seeking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Eh. Unique items have always gone for absurd amounts of money in MMOs. Also the price of Gucci stuff is quite disconnected from the cost of manufacturing it, so it's not even surprising that Gucci pixels are worth a bunch of money.

You can even argue that with COVID, since there's nowhere for fashionistas to be seen in public with a fancy purse, it makes sense that the digital version is worth more than the real one.

It's definitely dumb, but not really any more so than Gucci is in the first place.