Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Darkrenown posted:

This is completely incorrect, for many years now you've been able to roll back to previous versions via the Steam beta tab if you don't like an update.

Really? That's good news. I might have to see if I still remember how to play EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

LLSix posted:

Really? That's good news. I might have to see if I still remember how to play EU.

I was gonna add a pic, but imgur seems to be broke atm.

Assuming you mean EU4, if you want to play a version prior to 1.27 you need to enter the password "EU4R2JvakDKTJ8Cn" as it's pre-GDPR changes.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 22, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bhodi posted:

Factory town mechanics are weird, in that (in anno style) you have to supply tier'd needs to your citizens, and in return they give you coins that you spend on buffing buildings (the infinite resource producing kind) and making roads and carts and stuff. But you gain way more coins than you will ever use, and so it's a weird system where you don't REALLY need to supply every house all the time, especially in the beginning where you need those materials to build buildings and expand your town instead. So you just leave houses starving unless you actually need the coins they spit out. But all the automation is supposed to be set-it-and-forget-it supply so you end up manually shifting around citizens (that you never have enough of)

Once you get into the later tiers of research you can run out of any type of coin because so many buildings need them to make stuff. Not only that but if you are early late game or later, running out of coins is a gotta-start-over disaster, except maybe purple coins. Stuff runs out in FT and that is always a challenge as you need other stuff to find more stuff :)

Wasn't aware I was supposed to be writing a treatise l :) He just made major changes to research so I think a treatise is a little soon. It's absolutely in early access but the dev takes lots of input from players on the Discord so that's good.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Darkrenown posted:

I was gonna add a pic, but imgur seems to be broke atm.

Assuming you mean EU4, if you want to play a version prior to 1.27 you need to enter the password "EU4R2JvakDKTJ8Cn" as it's pre-GDPR changes.

I do mean EU4. Thank you very much :)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played some more of that Going Medieval beta and I love it. It's unabashedly a rimworld clone (seriously there are identical UI elements everywhere) but it plays surprisingly well and the digging stuff is neat. Instead of building a refrigerated room, you dig a basement under your kitchen to store your food in a cool place. I'm also currently digging a big rear end mineshaft in my base. Game's fun, I really had to peel myself away from it tonight.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Grevlek posted:

More EVE Online chatter.
Getting a degree in Economics has really helped my space industry simulation game.

Just going to say I love this write up. I play EVE mostly for the exploration side but it is extremely interesting to see it from a management/economic perspective!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1384030/Boppio/

Anyone play this?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The TLDR is that it's not near to finished and barely playable. Follow the game and wait for some upgrades would be my advice.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Mayveena posted:

The TLDR is that it's not near to finished and barely playable. Follow the game and wait for some upgrades would be my advice.

It's being made by a single person, and he seems like a nice dude, so leave a nice comment on steam to give him some encouragement.

There's something to this game, it's just not there yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gently caress it, I'm just going to play factorio

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zoux posted:

Same as what I'm doing. Put some mods on, decided Krastorio wasn't for me, just doing modded vanilla progression.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
You know everything you need to know to do a seablock.

Imagine, everything sourced from The Sea even the tiles under your feet.

Jkjk last time I did a seablock someone smashed that "Remove-player interact only through map mode and bots" into the modpack and it was the closest I've been to ascending this mortal plane.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

zoux posted:

See I find Factorio way harder than Anno 1800. I can see my way forward in Anno. In Factorio I just throw up my hands and quit as everything grinds to a near halt.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mayveena posted:

See I find Factorio way harder than Anno 1800. I can see my way forward in Anno. In Factorio I just throw up my hands and quit as everything grinds to a near halt.

The trick to breaking into Factorio is to just throw ratios out the window and fill belts with stuff. Keep the raw inputs flowing in and just get one machine making each thing you need. You can expand it out later and make more things, but just focusing on getting one machine up and running will help you to get more machines up and running later on.

It's also really helpful to get all of the basics automated - assemblers, inserters, turrets, ammo, etc.

But yeah, make one machine, then expand as necessary. I would recommend turning off biter evolution over time so that you don't feel any time crunch and just take things at your own pace. Follow the science progression and slowly build out the tech tree.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mayveena posted:

I can see my way forward in Anno.
In Factorio, your advancement path is making the different science vials, basically. Fill in blanks along the way that will help you do that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In Factorio, your advancement path is making the different science vials, basically. Fill in blanks along the way that will help you do that.

So if I just make one machine for everything my base slows to nothing. Otherwise, ratios and blueprints and whatever else which will make my base run efficiently. I don't want to wait forever for stuff to happen. In Anno I don't have to. I look at the supply/demand counters and my inventory and make as is obviously needed.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Everyone is totally welcome to ignore me on these rants btw, I'm sure you all are tired of hearing me complain.

I have played 136 hours and never seen trains or bots.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
No trains?! :ohdear:

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

papasyhotcakes posted:

Just going to say I love this write up. I play EVE mostly for the exploration side but it is extremely interesting to see it from a management/economic perspective!

Yeah if you guys don't hate it, I'll keep providing updates here and there as stuff gets interesting. I worked out my sales order for the week, and I plan on having a big memorial day weekend sale in Jita. Should net 275m in profit! Everything is already in the factory cooking, and I'm planning out our next steps as we build our 2 man production empire.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Everyone is totally welcome to ignore me on these rants btw, I'm sure you all are tired of hearing me complain.

No I hear you! I'm also someone who loves this genre, but doesn't really get into Factorio. I burnt too many hours on DSP, but Factorio just don't do it for me.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

quote:

In Anno I don't have to. I look at the supply/demand counters and my inventory and make as is obviously needed.
Right. You probably realize this but in Factorio, instead of supply/demand counters you have “is this belt full” and “is that building unlit when it should be running”. I suppose you could maybe look at production graphs, but pfft. I wing it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Grevlek posted:

Yeah if you guys don't hate it, I'll keep providing updates here and there as stuff gets interesting. I worked out my sales order for the week, and I plan on having a big memorial day weekend sale in Jita. Should net 275m in profit! Everything is already in the factory cooking, and I'm planning out our next steps as we build our 2 man production empire.

I'm enjoying hearing about it!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Mayveena posted:

I made a post to try to help you in the Factorio thread.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't stop playing Going Medieval. There's a lot of rough edges and it still honestly skeeves me out a bit that it's so similar to Rimworld but it's really fun. The digging mechanic needs work and is fiddly to use but is cool when it works, seems like there's just patches of minerals underground that you can find digging around. Also digging basements for resource storage underneath workshops is cool too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

I can't stop playing Going Medieval. There's a lot of rough edges and it still honestly skeeves me out a bit that it's so similar to Rimworld but it's really fun. The digging mechanic needs work and is fiddly to use but is cool when it works, seems like there's just patches of minerals underground that you can find digging around. Also digging basements for resource storage underneath workshops is cool too.

Where did you download it from?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You go to the Steam page for it and it lets you download the playtest, which is open until Monday. It's good as hell and everyone should check it out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

K8.0 posted:

You go to the Steam page for it and it lets you download the playtest, which is open until Monday. It's good as hell and everyone should check it out.

Thanks

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess this means they're full up?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh yeah maybe, it let me right in when I clicked it.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

If you had to play a prison architect like game, what sort of businesses or industries would you want to manage and build? Ideally something other than airports or am existing game

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

zoux posted:

I guess this means they're full up?

Did you click the button? It's always been like that, it should just instantly give you access when you click it. They're calling it an open beta, so it shouldn't be limited participation.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Today is Anno day. Lmao idunno an achievement for playing today just popped on my A2205 session, I think all of them got it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Krataar posted:

If you had to play a prison architect like game, what sort of businesses or industries would you want to manage and build? Ideally something other than airports or am existing game

make a game where you manage a Hedonism 2 style tourist trap hotel

alternatively if you want an idea people would actually like and are ambitious make a Umbrella Corporation style bioweapon lab manager.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Krataar posted:

Construction, the little boy inside of me wants to play tonka trucks like I did when I was a kid again

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Best advice I can give re: Factorio is to cover your first patches of resources with electric miners, then make that feed into a poo poo ton of furnaces, and then have the outputs feed into a big fuckoff bus. Branch everything off that bus.

If the bus gets low, TRAINS.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Krataar posted:

I always wanted a school simulator game, except you're managing a magic school and occasionally the students just summon up an eldritch abomination and you have to deal with it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Re: management game

I think a factory of some kind and would be cool. Make a factory that makes airplanes, trains.

Or a drydock. Work your way up to building aircraft carriers.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Trivia posted:

Re: management game

I think a factory of some kind and would be cool. Make a factory that makes airplanes, trains.

Or a drydock. Work your way up to building aircraft carriers.

Thank you for reminding me of the ancient and lovely Gadget Tycoon with the first half. I can't believe how much time I spent on that game (ie, more than none).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The economic side of KSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shipping depot. Like Wilmot's Warehouse but you know with numbers and graphs and poo poo.