Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ChickenMedium posted:

Yeah, it's all very "Oh no, we're not racist, but we need this movie to do well in China and you know how those people are."

That is actually a thing I have encountered. People I know aren’t racist being concerned about casting black actors (other than a few huge stars) because in certain territories it does actually lower a film’s value. Plus a bit of whet you’re saying does also happen.

Of course, if Russians got a bit more used to seeing black and other ethnic minority actors in screen more frequently perhaps with time it wouldn’t affect the value so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't think those people are as "not racist" as you think they are.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I saw a WW2 educational film for American soldiers stationed in Britain recently and there was a part where an old British lady talked to a black soldier and invited him over for tea and the narrator steps in and was all like "I know this seems crazy but they don't have segregation over here so don't be upset if you eat, drink, and live in the same places as black soldiers."

Not to say Britain isn't really racist but I found that bit interesting

There was also a bit about not being loud and obnoxious in the pub and not insulting Scotsmen for wearing kilts.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I saw a WW2 educational film for American soldiers stationed in Britain recently and there was a part where an old British lady talked to a black soldier and invited him over for tea and the narrator steps in and was all like "I know this seems crazy but they don't have segregation over here so don't be upset if you eat, drink, and live in the same places as black soldiers."

Not to say Britain isn't really racist but I found that bit interesting

There was also a bit about not being loud and obnoxious in the pub and not insulting Scotsmen for wearing kilts.

American military was racially segregated until like 1950 or something when Truman ordered them be integrated (they were still largely racially segregated after that, but it was unofficial policy by low level officers, not written law).

Fun fact, the Pentagon has twice as many bathrooms as it needs because when it was built in Virginia state law required racially segregated bathrooms, but it was after Truman ordered integration so he loving flipped out about it. There was no point where the bathrooms were actually segregated since it was a federal facility, they just have double.

Also, apparently during WW2 some white GIs were pissed off Britain didn't have segregated bars and would occasionally start fights with Black GIs in bars, and to the Brits' credit they would almost always join in on the side of the Black GIs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

I don't think those people are as "not racist" as you think they are.

Well, one of the salespeople in question has a black spouse so I’d think they were fairly low on the racism index. Is it racist to acknowledge that other people are racist? I think to some degree it is pandering to other people’s racism, but if a Russian distributor is going to pay you 25% less because the lead is black is the salesperson racist for pointing that out?

I’d add that it is probably less prevalent and only applicable in a few territories and is undoubtedly used by racists as cover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You're the one who knows them, I don't, so I absolutely can't say whether they are racist or not, but, like, Strom Thurmond had a black mistress.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Happy Anniversary everyone

https://twitter.com/darkuniverse/status/866706548923314176?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If Mummy had been a hit, what would the next movie have been?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

You're the one who knows them, I don't, so I absolutely can't say whether they are racist or not, but, like, Strom Thurmond had a black mistress.

I'm not saying anything about therattle's friends or associates, and I don't think it's racist to acknowledge that movies with black leads do basically no money in certain overseas markets, but I've heard very racist people tell me they can't be racist because they have a black girlfriend. Like, you know misogynists can also date women, right? That doesn't make them less sexist.

therattle posted:

Of course, if Russians got a bit more used to seeing black and other ethnic minority actors in screen more frequently perhaps with time it wouldn’t affect the value so much.

Yeah, like ignoring the problem and just not casting POC leads isn't a solution.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

At first I thought it was about Dark the German netflix show and I got excited. :(

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I will never not laugh at Crow's invisible cane. Or maybe his hand is on the shoulder of the Invisible Man, who is kneeling so he won't tower over Tom Cruise.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Skwirl posted:

If Mummy had been a hit, what would the next movie have been?

Mummy 2

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not saying anything about therattle's friends or associates, and I don't think it's racist to acknowledge that movies with black leads do basically no money in certain overseas markets, but I've heard very racist people tell me they can't be racist because they have a black girlfriend. Like, you know misogynists can also date women, right? That doesn't make them less sexist.

Yeah Ben Shapiro has a black wife and is a massive pile of poo poo.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

I'm okay with this dying simply because I never want to see Johnny Depp act in anything, ever again.

And plenty of super racist people have spouses who are BIPOC. More importantly, racism should be thought of more in individual actions than in a category of people. He might have a huge blind spot because he thinks there's no way he could accidentally do something racist because he loves his wife. The status quo is super racist, so not resisting it can be argued to be an inherently racist action. "Racist" doesn't always have anything to do with white hoods and voter ID laws.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Geekboy posted:

I'm okay with this dying simply because I never want to see Johnny Depp act in anything, ever again.

And plenty of super racist people have spouses who are BIPOC. More importantly, racism should be thought of more in individual actions than in a category of people. He might have a huge blind spot because he thinks there's no way he could accidentally do something racist because he loves his wife. The status quo is super racist, so not resisting it can be argued to be an inherently racist action. "Racist" doesn't always have anything to do with white hoods and voter ID laws.

All true.

On this particular film we would prefer a black or ethnic minority actor for creative reasons and if the sales agent and distributors don’t like it they can go and gently caress themselves. A major US distributor is on board for a number of territories and they’re supportive of whom ever we cast.

therattle fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 22, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Who was Depp even supposed to play?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Skwirl posted:

Who was Depp even supposed to play?

The Invisible Man. Bardem was gonna be in Frankenstein but not sure if as the doctor or the monster.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You would have to have Bardem as the doctor. His accent is perfect for saying "It's alive! It's alive!"

And then I'm sure the monster would be CGI.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

You would have to have Bardem as the doctor. His accent is perfect for saying "It's alive! It's alive!"

And then I'm sure the monster would be CGI Ron Perlman

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The doctor and the monster. Made in his image

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

In the book the monster is an amalgam of executed prisoners.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MacheteZombie posted:

Monster's Frankenstein

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Library was giving away DVDs. Peep this fuckin haul.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Good haul

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

banned from Starbucks posted:

Yeah Ben Shapiro has a black wife and is a massive pile of poo poo.

Not sure if this is a WAP joke I'm not getting or what but

I've always wanted to do a Jekyll and Hyde movie with Ron Perlman and Tom Waits.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I've always wanted to do a Jekyll and Hyde movie with Ron Perlman and Tom Waits.

I think this would be a Hyde and Hyde movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

Not sure if this is a WAP joke I'm not getting or what but

huh. well poo poo i thought for sure i heard him say one time "the right hates me because im jewish and my wife is black" Guess im confusing him with someone else.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I think this would be a Hyde and Hyde movie.

My idea is that the evil Dr. Jekyll wants to cause havoc so he develops an elixir to make himself giant, but it turns him into the gentle and good-natured Mr. Hyde who must try to figure out a way to fix the terrible things Jekyll has done before he reverts.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Geekboy posted:

I know a black woman married to a MAGA chud who looks like a walking advertisement for the Aryan Nation. I'm pretty sure he wants to be a cop too.

They both look dead inside.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

They both look dead inside.

Ooh ooh, I can answer this one.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Baron von Eevl posted:

My idea is that the evil Dr. Jekyll wants to cause havoc so he develops an elixir to make himself giant, but it turns him into the gentle and good-natured Mr. Hyde who must try to figure out a way to fix the terrible things Jekyll has done before he reverts.

I like it. Just tweak it so it’s about the covid vaccine and call it Dr. Johnson and Mr. Johnson.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Ooh ooh, I can answer this one.

He can't make his wife cum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

He can't make his wife cum.

I was gonna say because they are both undead emotional vampires that only survive by sucking the joy out from everyone around them, but yours works too.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

banned from Starbucks posted:

huh. well poo poo i thought for sure i heard him say one time "the right hates me because im jewish and my wife is black" Guess im confusing him with someone else.

Considering that he will say whatever he thinks will win him an argument regardless its basis in any kind of reality, it is quite possible that you did hear him say that.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I was gonna say because they are both undead emotional vampires that only survive by sucking the joy out from everyone around them, but yours works too.

It's both.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

It's both.

I'd honestly forgotten about Ben Shapiro's WAP take where he said "according to me wife it's actually incredibly abnormal for a vagina to self lubricate" until you posted that.

One of the best self owns ever posted on the internet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I'd honestly forgotten about Ben Shapiro's WAP take where he said "according to me wife it's actually incredibly abnormal for a vagina to self lubricate" until you posted that.

One of the best self owns ever posted on the internet.

Ben Shaprio is the world's greatest master of self-owning.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just saw this, had sympathy pains for Alex Winter

quote:

Test audiences were said to have reacted negatively to the first showings of the completed film. According to Alex Winter on the DVD commentary, many of the younger teen-types that made up a majority of the preview-crowd were expecting this to be the next "Bill and Ted" movie, and often were vocal to what they were seeing on-screen. During a line of dialogue from Brooke Shields in the opening scene, a young male test audience member rose from his seat to yell, "Fuuuuuuck Yoouuu, Biiiiitch!!", much to the dismay of the filmmakers present.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Just saw this, had sympathy pains for Alex Winter

Imagine being in a room with so many complete squares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Imagine being in a room with so many complete squares.

I think screaming that at Brooke Shields constitutes being well beyond just being a square