Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

serious question — i'm a service worker with no official programming experience, but program a lot when doing process improvement. i end up spelunking in obsolete languages and abandoned code, and improve what i can, but have no illusions about being qualified to pull figgies. i make $25k a year right now, and adding like $10k a year in a job where customers don't scream in my face would be life-changing.

if i just want a job, and dgaf about my career being "tainted" by mumps or something, is there a subfield that might see me as hireable? what could i focus on to become hireable? school would be nice and all but i don't think i can add it on top of getting by.

my sorta resumé:
last job, entry-level manufacturing
  • automated entry in a terminal emulator, coding against a fixed version which required workarounds for broken division, etc. in the macro language.
  • browser tools for quick and accurate material changeovers in manufacturing. gave operators measurements for adjusting machinery and emulated recipe lookup for machines without it.
  • reimplementation of setup sheet tools when their access application was eol'd with no replacement plan. god help me, it was an excel spreadsheet with batch edit/export scripting, but had better data validation and consistency than the database it was replacing.
current job, busser, modifying end-of-life pos system
  • custom sorting and search
  • twilio integration for sms notifications of expected order times and ready status.
  • barcode scanner implementation of done/gone status to help out front of house staff.
  • halfway done browser plugin to scrape chownow information and let us print to an impact printer.
  • development environment with revision control, packaged deployments, bug tracker, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

handle posted:

serious question — i'm a service worker with no official programming experience, but program a lot when doing process improvement. i end up spelunking in obsolete languages and abandoned code, and improve what i can, but have no illusions about being qualified to pull figgies. i make $25k a year right now, and adding like $10k a year in a job where customers don't scream in my face would be life-changing.

if i just want a job, and dgaf about my career being "tainted" by mumps or something, is there a subfield that might see me as hireable? what could i focus on to become hireable? school would be nice and all but i don't think i can add it on top of getting by.

my sorta resumé:
  • automated entry in a terminal emulator, coding against a fixed version which required workarounds for broken division, etc. in the macro language.
  • browser tools for quick and accurate material changeovers in manufacturing. gave operators measurements for adjusting machinery and emulated recipe lookup for machines without it.
  • reimplementation of setup sheet tools when their access application was eol'd with no replacement plan. god help me, it was an excel spreadsheet with batch edit/export scripting, but had better data validation and consistency than the database it was replacing.
  • twilio integration for sms notifications of expected order times and ready status.
  • barcode scanner implementation of done/gone status to help out front of house staff.
  • halfway done browser plugin to scrape chownow information and let us print to an impact printer.
  • development environment with revision control, packaged deployments, bug tracker, etc.

where are you located? education status?

but yes you should get paper; in the us a helpdesk or msp would pay better than that but that’s not a long term thing (customers still suck) but good for getting your foot in the door in an it job

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
you are qualified for computer touching, the trick at this point is luck/opportunity.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

i'm in the denver area and have a ged. oof, typing that out, you're not kidding i need to get papers.

thanks for transitional recommendations. does "msp" stand for managed service provider? i'm not familiar with the players in my area i guess.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

that is solid junior experience imo. if you can afford it, just take a job with a low salary to get your foot in the door then start trading up as soon as you feel confident. another thing you could do to get some runs on the board is take some projects on upwork or something like that

unfortunately with a career change unless you have good contacts or some luck you might have to do some kinda lovely work at first but make sure you don’t get stuck in it or let people take advantage of you

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you could walk into a 80k/year junior dev job lol

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

handle posted:

i'm in the denver area and have a ged. oof, typing that out, you're not kidding i need to get papers.

thanks for transitional recommendations. does "msp" stand for managed service provider? i'm not familiar with the players in my area i guess.

msp covers a lot of things but think "outsourced desktop support"

it beats the gently caress out of bussing tables.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you could walk into a 80k/year junior dev job lol

if they knew someone, sure. if they got very lucky and got in to an interview/assessment stage where they could talk about the things they have done and the person sees potential/is sympathetic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah the annoying thing will be getting to a screen

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

yeah the annoying thing will be getting to a screen

people who are working bussing jobs and entry level manufacturing generally don't have the kind of that kind of personal network.

so you're going to have to make your own network/luck, i'm afraid.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

handle posted:

Long term, yeah, the degree matters. But you can get a job now and study while you work. Get paid.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

hey denver goons send some entry level jobs to handle

ged isn’t the end of the world once you’re on the ladder. certs help. particpating in local meetups etc networking helps.

msp is a place businesses pay when they don’t want to pay for in-house it so you can potentially get experience a lot of areas quickly

your skills are great

handle
Jan 20, 2011

thank all you folks so much. trying to internalize the next steps. it's been a very sad night so far and i appreciate y'all being straightforward but compassionate.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
depending on your current employer you might think about it as a two part move - move sideways at your current company by asking to move in to a junior analyst job then after a few years move somewhere else for more money. see if you can get someone with industry knowledge to review your CV and rewrite it as an analyst CV.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

handle posted:

my sorta resumé:

you have better qualifications than most entry level programmers. if i were you i'd grind leetcode easy and medium problems in python or javascript. don't be ashamed to start out by copying other people's solutions. that's how we all learned

getting interviews will be hard but doable if you just mass apply for anything you see but you'll need to prove you can code probably to get a shot and leetcode is the best prep there is for that. don't limit yourself to programming jobs. there's lots of basically programming jobs where you can flex your skills and get moved into a "real" programming role pretty easily. sales engineering, qa tester, customer support (at a startup or saas company, not like phone support), business analyst, data analyst...

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 23, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

handle posted:

serious question — i'm a service worker with no official programming experience, but program a lot when doing process improvement. i end up spelunking in obsolete languages and abandoned code, and improve what i can, but have no illusions about being qualified to pull figgies. i make $25k a year right now,

stopped reading here. this alone will get you to six figures if you stick to it. your first job won’t pay you this because they know they can get away with it. if you keep at it though you can be there with a few job hops and maybe six years if you’re lucky

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

ultravoices posted:

you are qualified for computer touching, the trick at this point is luck/opportunity.
Yeah. handle you're well ahead of 95% of junior devs because it sounds like you're already good at reading code and refactoring broken poo poo, but because you're not 'officially' a dev and lack qualifications you might have to shotgun applications everywhere to get your foot in the door.

what talent deficit says about moving sideways is right too, I was a hobby coder and managed to get into development by getting a job as a QA and one day pestering the friendliest looking dev to let me fix a bug I found.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
handle you need to post your actual resume in here or the BFC resume thread and find a couple job reqs you’d want to apply for. I think some of the advice might be kinda optimistic but can’t tell because I don’t know what your stats are or who you’d be competing with application wise

that said you can def count what you described as relevant for the purposes of an entry level programmer job

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

CarForumPoster posted:

anyone ever lol at making >$150k without going to med school and maybe without going to extra school at all

literal life saving people make what you make for writing code that is always marching toward obsolescence, often never actually sees the light of prod

Meanwhile I used to write software for cancer research and treatment and was paid all of $75K for it

I make over 2x that now to make a cell phone game you play on the toilet

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

kitten smoothie posted:

Meanwhile I used to write software for cancer research and treatment and was paid all of $75K for it

I make over 2x that now to make a cell phone game you play on the toilet

that sounds sweet I am doing too much toilet posting r n

and anyway if the treatment worked I’m American so I couldn’t afford it

might as well crush candy

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

CarForumPoster posted:

and anyway if the treatment worked I’m American so I couldn’t afford it

while I'd agree with that normally this is the YOSPOS interviewing thread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, all the 150k/year jobs also come with "pay up to 3k and then stop paying for absolutely anything, yeah we will cover that 500k dealio" insurance

post ur drat resume handle

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
nth-ing that handle should be earning life changing amounts of money e.g. like at least $60k+ for the stuff they’re already doing

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

In my previous job I wrote the software for MSP's to use and I would say it is a good path into development. With your experience you could easily get a T2 Deck position which basically means not dealing with customers at all, just learn some ITIL terminology and you're good. With T2 you're doing in depth investigations on bugs which is a good runway into actually becoming a dev and you can always apply for dev positions when you're there anyway.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
handle may not have a degree, but when placed into environments where programming is not expected, seeing processes that can be improved, they can't help themselves but to program. that's absolutely a developer at heart. how many junior devs have we all hired who have the resume pedigree, but not the drive? and when placed into an environment where programming IS expected of them, they do everything they can to avoid it? you just need to find a hiring manager who thinks this way. at non-FAANGs there are lots of them. the trick will be getting past the bullshit HR screen

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how many junior devs have we all hired who have the resume pedigree, but not the drive?

one and it was a hard lesson learned

that said, the number of driven junior devs I’ve hired who don’t have the resume to do the job is 0 which is probably an obstacle for handle today that can be fixed within 6 weeks if driven

handle
Jan 20, 2011

wanna say thanks again, y'all. i super appreciate mentions of all the positions i've never heard of, and which offer decent chances of making lateral moves in the same org. i'll pull on the few connections i have and try to get resume/application/interviewing feedback from industry folks.

CarForumPoster posted:

handle you need to post your actual resume in here or the BFC resume thread and find a couple job reqs you’d want to apply for. I think some of the advice might be kinda optimistic but can’t tell because I don’t know what your stats are or who you’d be competing with application wise
i'll definitely post a resume when i've got it. hearing that my experience is relevant to these jobs is reassuring but beyond the hr hurdles, i think competition is very stiff here.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

[...] that's absolutely a developer at heart.
i'm glad my affection for machines can pay off for other people :) i think about the daily wtf's story on meaninglessness pretty often. and quick shoutout to programmers without the programming fervor... you keep me honest so i don't reimplement templating (poorly.)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hey handle:

1. get yourself a trade name. i used "[my last name] engineering" for mine. i think it was like $35 or something (in california). link to colorado secretary of state. you just want the sole proprietorship - that just means that all money you'd get is normal income, no tax breaks or anything, but also no tax complications
2. do a programming-related task for someone for money
3. put "freelance [whatever you do] - doing business as [handle engineering]" on your resume

it's ok if the gigs pay terribly (as long as they aren't free, this is the part that makes it not a lie). i bet you have friends/family/people in this very thread that would throw you twenty bucks or whatever to automate some mp3 renaming or some kinda text processing in bash via sed etc for them (especially if you took them out to dinner afterwards to celebrate your business getting a new client)

do make sure that's not gonna get you in any kind of non-compete hot water, but it's an easy way to suddenly become a professional computer-toucher. if won't help you with the "three years" part of "three years of experience required," and it won't help you pass an interview, but it might help you softshoe around a dumbass HR filter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

handle posted:

i'm glad my affection for machines can pay off for other people :) i think about the daily wtf's story on meaninglessness pretty often.

if you cherish this affection, keep in mind that selling it for money will tarnish it. it might not be a fun hobby once it's your day job. surely thats fine if you get enough money for it, but worth keeping in mind if you really do it for fun now

that story is nice, but probably most of your actual job is not going to be that rewarding

idk tho, im not a programmer

Achmed Jones posted:

hey handle:

1. get yourself a trade name.

lol are you saying he needs a new handle?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

hey handle:

1. get yourself a trade name. i used "[my last name] engineering" for mine. i think it was like $35 or something (in california). link to colorado secretary of state. you just want the sole proprietorship - that just means that all money you'd get is normal income, no tax breaks or anything, but also no tax complications
3. put "freelance [whatever you do] - doing business as [handle engineering]" on your resume

it's ok if the gigs pay terribly (as long as they aren't free, this is the part that makes it not a lie). i bet you have friends/family/people in this very thread that would throw you twenty bucks or whatever to automate some mp3 renaming or some kinda text processing in bash via sed etc for them (especially if you took them out to dinner afterwards to celebrate your business getting a new client)

do make sure that's not gonna get you in any kind of non-compete hot water, but it's an easy way to suddenly become a professional computer-toucher. if won't help you with the "three years" part of "three years of experience required," and it won't help you pass an interview, but it might help you softshoe around a dumbass HR filter.

good advice, also I did exactly this last fall

also, my state waived the registration fees for a sole proprietorship during COVID which was nice

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Achmed Jones posted:

hey handle:

This is very good advice. If you wanna seem like you actually totally did consulting for real though form an LLC. Its also cheap and easy. This is nice to have too because if you get fired you can always truthfully say you worked for DaShitpostBoss, LLC

Putting a github together now and starting to commit and star poo poo and fork poo poo is a good way to build a paper trail of your computer touching experience as well.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 24, 2021

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Back in the senior level computer nerd saddle again after a year off, id rather hire a guy with a GED and drive over some master of cs thats confident.

E: context, I started with a GED

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 24, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

sneakyfrog posted:

Back in the senior level computer nerd saddle again after a year off, id rather hire a guy with a GED and drive over some master of cs thats confident.

peeps default towards bein biased towards similar educational backgrounds. if handle wants to whack at cold callin / dming random peeps on linkedin (which works for getting to a screen like single digit %s of the time but that just means you do a few hundreds of them) they prolly wanna whack at the ged-havers in places, is what that means

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 24, 2021

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

sneakyfrog posted:

what is the master of cs who's not just confident but also incredibly insufferable?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

peeps default towards bein biased towards similar educational backgrounds. if handle wants to whack at cold callin / dming random peeps on linkedin (which works for getting to a screen like single digit %s of the time but that just means you do a few hundreds of them) they prolly wanna whack at the ged-havers in places, is what that means
team lead on a team I joined a few jobs ago (who didn't interview me) proudly said if he'd been involved in the screening process he'd have thrown my cv in the bin because I got a 2:2 in my degree

handle has drive and aptitude which is absolutely priceless, but unfortunately hard to communicate in a CV

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, its just an orgy of peeps throwin out resumes of peeps who didnt do roughly the same educational dealio they did, whether it's clawing their way through w a ged or goin to plutocrat school

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got super held back in my early career because I was "self taught" and didn't have a design degree, lately the only person who was like "why don't you have a masters yet" was from google

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

I got super held back in my early career because I was "self taught" and didn't have a design degree, lately the only person who was like "why don't you have a masters yet" was from google

did he add the "from stanford" or is it just implied

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

did he add the "from stanford" or is it just implied

someone else on that call asked me about my undergrad classes

I'm over 40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡