Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think kannazuki no miko holds up much much better than hime does. mai-hime has a few really fun characters but it's like tactically written to make the least interesting use of its cast possible, the good part of its big dark turn at the end isn't that it gets dark and hosed up but that it's the one instance in the entire story where it actually just sits down and explores some of the cast's issues and even then nao gets kinda screwed over, and shizuru and natsuki's whole subplot has the same weird bits as kannazuki no miko except presented more uncritically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is Mai-Otome any better?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some of the leads are more fun and the returning lesbian couples are fun but it also midway into the first cour turns into a love triangle plot between a 13 year old girl, an adopted daughter, and the adopted daughter's dad and sticks to that while the princess gets sidelined hard by the writing for an annoyingly long amount of time so i got frustrated and dropped it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OUR-Hime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I have watched Gundam Wing, and even nostalgia can't disguise the fact that the plot is completely off the wall bananas.
thats whats good about it? its got some pretty decent political messages mixed with a plot that's so all over the place that it winds up extremely watchable. its' a story that portrays war the way a teenager would actually experience it: completely incomprehensible, all the adults are suddenly acting like lunatics, a series of flashing lights and bad news with almost no throughline. intelligence and plans don't work, the only thing that gets them through it is trusting each other.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah I remember dropping Otome mid way through when it was airing and haven't felt the need to go back and revisit. It also seemed to kill the series as while it got an OAV series the Mai Hime franchise just stopped cold after it when after Hime you were seeing a lot of multi-media stuff being done with the franchise

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

esselfortium posted:

It’s been fun. I don’t know why people keep making GBS threads on it in this thread.

For me personally, it’s because I went in expecting it to be funny and outside of a few clever moments it’s largely just been a kind of oppressive slog.

While the world being lovely has been interesting enough to keep me watching, I feel like it really shouldn’t have taken 6 episodes to progress past the initial conflict. Or at the very least it should have had more likable characters to help with the engagement.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Besides dragging the initial conflict out so long, I think the show's biggest mistake was having Reona be invisible to the npcs, limiting who she can interact with. Konosuba's comedy works better because you have a whole team of main characters and more minor ones all bouncing off of one another. With Full Dive, so far it’s usually just Reona and Hiro doing the same old routine and when it’s not that it’s Hiro plus one other character at a time.

I'm guessing there's a proper reason she’s keeping secret for why her avatar is like that, but I doubt the payoff will be worth the buildup.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

i only know fmp for its stuff in super robot wars v where kurz meets banjo haran and gets mad about how all the women want to gently caress him, but then banjo haran gives a big speech about what it means to be a true man and kurz shouts "Whoa... I have my first man crush... and I like it!"
I thought you were talking about Baran Doban, and hell, it still applies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LudgY-BaBMQ&hd=1

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Full Dive is a real contrast to the Cautious Hero adaptation. I have no idea how faithful that one was to the original work but it managed to tell a complete story in one cour. FD barely feels like it's started.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
This last episode of Vivy is super cool, even if I barely understand what's going on.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The last episode of Vivy was super cool and I could manage to follow what was going on. And I know that sounds like a flex or a put down, and I'm sorry, I don't mean it that way and I'm not trying to make it be that. What I will say is that Vivy is super cool and has been super cool and is an easy shot at AOTS if not AOTY.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nagatoro has kept up its streak of really good episodes this season. I'm really glad they've done such a good job with this series.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Bakeneko posted:

Besides dragging the initial conflict out so long,

Sindai posted:

FD barely feels like it's started.

there's actually only 2 volumes of material to adapt, vol 3 just came out. from what i'd read elsewhere the show could even just encompass all of volume 1.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

these production committee guys are geniuses

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

much like the childhood friend one, it's kadokawa rushing random series with 1 LN volume to anime because they just want to tick up their numbers

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Adapting one volume to a 13 episode anime isn't a death kiss but you probably have to have a good staff/studio to make it work which given the amount of anime Kadokawa is trying to release probably isn't their priority

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Adapting one volume to a 13 episode anime isn't a death kiss but you probably have to have a good staff/studio to make it work which given the amount of anime Kadokawa is trying to release probably isn't their priority

I mean, 86 seems to be doing well with that pacing right now. It's a valid approach... Just you need to have good ways to flesh things out.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Nagatoro has kept up its streak of really good episodes this season. I'm really glad they've done such a good job with this series.

the PV really left a bad impression on me but dang it's pretty great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nagatoro is much more teasing and not so much bullying, her and senpai are great together. Theirs is a slow one but the progression for the two of them is really nicely done. More recently the manga has started fleshing out backstories which is interesting, although the latest chapter adds a new character that might just be a "series extending character" since things were getting pretty complacent and normal so we'll see how that goes I guess.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Slime witch seems to have found its legs with good visual gags in the last few episodes, if not particularly noteworthy animation. Still not something I'd say to go out of your way to watch if you weren't already on board, but I hope it keeps this trend going.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Nagatoro is much more teasing and not so much bullying, her and senpai are great together. Theirs is a slow one but the progression for the two of them is really nicely done. More recently the manga has started fleshing out backstories which is interesting, although the latest chapter adds a new character that might just be a "series extending character" since things were getting pretty complacent and normal so we'll see how that goes I guess.

Well she replaces the President since she graduated so there can continue to remain at least one of her type of character

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Xelkelvos posted:

Well she replaces the President since she graduated so there can continue to remain at least one of her type of character

I just hope she ends up being a more interesting foil, since she's closer in age.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xelkelvos posted:

She's not only the replacement President (they're cousins), but seems like they're trying for shades of "the childhood friend" with them both being in the art club in Middle School.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, 86 seems to be doing well with that pacing right now. It's a valid approach... Just you need to have good ways to flesh things out.

86 was initially written with one volume in mind, in that it actually has a conclusive ending. It was just successful enough that it got additional volumes which then continued the story but had to walk back that original ending temporarily since it was a pretty set end.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Allarion posted:

86 was initially written with one volume in mind, in that it actually has a conclusive ending. It was just successful enough that it got additional volumes which then continued the story but had to walk back that original ending temporarily since it was a pretty set end.

Without getting too spoilery - how do they walk it back? Is the end of V1 like a post-timeskip thing that the later volumes backfill? Or is V1's ending retconned out somehow?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

One nice thing I've noticed (having recently gone through the manga once the anime started) is that the show has been subtly softening stuff as well. Nothing super obvious, but a lot of the teasing is slightly shorter, or the wording is less harsh.

For instance, in the manga she keeps going on about how he's "dirty" and "nasty" when they go off to watch the fireworks, but the anime tones it down to a more playful "sleazy". The anime also has her really going in for the kiss after Senpai calls her bluff, while the manga interrupts them right after she declares that of course she can kiss him.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

One nice thing I've noticed (having recently gone through the manga once the anime started) is that the show has been subtly softening stuff as well. Nothing super obvious, but a lot of the teasing is slightly shorter, or the wording is less harsh.

For instance, in the manga she keeps going on about how he's "dirty" and "nasty" when they go off to watch the fireworks, but the anime tones it down to a more playful "sleazy". The anime also has her really going in for the kiss after Senpai calls her bluff, while the manga interrupts them right after she declares that of course she can kiss him.

That first one could just be a difference in translation choices though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Droyer posted:

That first one could just be a difference in translation choices though.

Yeah I'm pretty sure she was still using the same word she always uses in Japanese "kimoi" which is usually translated to "gross" but the translator just mixed it up so she wasn't saying the EXACT same thing over and over again.

Calling Senpai "kimoi" is kind of her thing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, I decided to watch it on a whim after I saw the cafeteria scene on Youtube. Even though raunchy jokes don't do anything for me normally, I've enjoyed the ones that are so absurdly blatant that you can't help but laugh. These two dorks are absolutely adorable and I was fully expecting the show to be a lot meaner and not at all this wholesome.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure she was still using the same word she always uses in Japanese "kimoi" which is usually translated to "gross" but the translator just mixed it up so she wasn't saying the EXACT same thing over and over again.

Calling Senpai "kimoi" is kind of her thing.

Are you watching the show muted? That is very clearly not what she says.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Nemo2342 posted:

she was saying iyarashii. whenever you see anything get translated as "lewd", that's the word.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Without getting too spoilery - how do they walk it back? Is the end of V1 like a post-timeskip thing that the later volumes backfill? Or is V1's ending retconned out somehow?

Its a post-timeskip. So later volumes just back filled what happened in-between yeah.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

I love Back Arrow. It just keeps getting better and better.

Back Arrow really seems to have captured the Code Geass silliness in a way most of its successors/imitators failed to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Back Arrow really seems to have captured the Code Geass silliness in a way most of its successors/imitators failed to do.

I'd personally call it more a Gun X Sword successor, Code Geass takes itself a shade more serious I feel, and an excellent one at that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Captain Invictus posted:

so we'll see how that goes I guess.
I'm hoping the writer throws a twist at us and it's "oh, sorry. Senpai is a close friend but he is only a mentor. it's Nagatoro I'm interested in" because otherwise it's kind of a meh development.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Letty is still a scaly precious cinnamon roll.:holy:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

man you guys really weren't kidding about 86 being IBO derivative, the parallels are all over the place

the first episode was pretty neat. it was a little chilling at first when they referred to the robot pilots as "processors." the way they built up to it by dripfeeding the "these are unmanned drones" "no one else cares when the drones are destroyed" kind of info was pretty well done. it's a little understated, they don't place a ton of emphasis on it they just wait to see how long it'll take you to put everything together, and i thought it worked really well to confirm the viewer's growing suspicions about what's really going on in that way. the kind of moment that only works if you're going in basically completely blind like i did, but i thought it was pretty cool

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1396741141345669120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm always excited for more Lupin. It's a simple formula but it has an incredible amount of variations to it.