Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

16-bit RDRAM posted:

I gave up on borderlands 2's dlc when I was partway through Torgue and it took multiple mags to kill regular enemies who gave me 1xp. Perfect illustration of how experience-wreckingly stingy the drops were

i mean to be fair the torgue dlc is like completely loving garbage and has two of the worst designed bosses in the entire franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Scumbag posted:

That's more or less been my experience, anyway. Keeping track of which guns I have and which variants is a nightmare and makes a generous drop-rate more of a pain in the rear end than something satisfying. Lower chance of legendaries as well as no annointments would have made things far more satisfying for me, if only for the reason that it would have taken longer to discover all of the legendaries. The mystery of what might drop next and what weird kinds of features/redtext/etc goes a long way to keep you playing.
I'll go to bat for 3's generous droprates. They were the one consistent positive in the 2 to 50 to 65 slog that necessitated playing through the main campaign - multiple times if you wanted to try out every character. I think that the issue with player retention has more to do with other design decisions that hobbled 3 immediately out of the gate.

Anointments, flawed as they are, would have been a healthier post-game grind.  I think introducing new anointments every two months to incentivize grinding for the same piece of gear would be better received than just bumping up the level cap. The lack of another level cap bump with the release of the Director's Cut is pretty telling.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Would it have been a better idea to have the player pick which annointment they want through a vendor or something rather than them being random and tacked on? Think diablo 3's gems system but simpler and more customizable. Like you have a legendary Tizzy and want the consecutive hits annoint so you go to what the reroll machine is now and purchase it with eridium. I think I'd like that better. It wouldn't have to be 500 eridium. It would have to be more for sure.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Would it have been a better idea to have the player pick which annointment they want through a vendor or something rather than them being random and tacked on? Think diablo 3's gems system but simpler and more customizable. Like you have a legendary Tizzy and want the consecutive hits annoint so you go to what the reroll machine is now and purchase it with eridium. I think I'd like that better. It wouldn't have to be 500 eridium. It would have to be more for sure.

Not really.

First, it doesn't accomplish the point of the anointment system, which was to draw out how long it takes to get BIS gear because people didn't feel like they had anything to work towards. A goal with a definite end doesn't really accomplish that.

Second, there's no point in attaching that to weapons; it's just now a bunch of extra gear slots that need to be ground out a second time if you get a new gun. Might as well just make it a new gear slot so it doesn't make you commit super heavily to using one gun forever in a game all about trying new goofy guns. It's another thing that would lock people into using the Masher/DPUH/Flipper-style single good gun, and serve to punish them for deviating from that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man, I finally picked Borderlands 3 up for sale last week and just reading the thread and I'm :catstare:-ing at these last couple pages. I must of picked a hell of a bad time to get into this.

Hammered through the story last weekend and got level 50 on a Siren. Tried to follow the (old, outdated) guides on gearing up by cranking up to Mayhem 4 and farming General Trant. I could kill him fine, but gently caress it's slow. He wasn't raining legendaries like I was seeing on the videos and I've been lucky if I even got one and it's just that ricochet shotgun he drops. I've gotten lucky and picked up a few mayhem 4 epics / legendaries from vendors, but just getting through some encounters is hard when the game is throwing like 3 annointed and 4 badasses at me at a time.

Think I might just drop it to Mayhem 3 for now and crank through the S1 DLC packs and / or level my Zane character through just to see what he has to offer endgame because he seems fun.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

I've been lucky if I even got one and it's just that ricochet shotgun he drops.

That's one of the best mobbing guns in the game btw

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Zane is my favorite character, check out the BL discord for updated builds if you like.

Best way to get into mayhem imo is just skipping straight to 10/11 and do arms race or doing golden chests or vending machine till you get a decent weapon or two and then your good. However I don't know how that will work with the reduced drops? Not played arms race since the update.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Good news. Looks like GBX adjusted the drop rates and also made dedicated sources for guns love among other adjustments.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Woooooooooooooooo
Game pass expired, what do I own?
MUTHA FUCKIN BORDERLANDS 3 BABY
PALM SLAM THAT DISC IN

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

GrumpyGoesWest posted:

Good news. Looks like GBX adjusted the drop rates and also made dedicated sources for guns love among other adjustments.
Reread the article. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's about how they adjusted the drop weight, not the drop rate.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Oh huge update
Oh no new game changing dlc
My characters skills are reset

:bang:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Some big-ish updates, an event just started where each week one of the trials has their boss buffed to supposedly raid boss levels and extra dedicated drops. Don't think I've done them all so will give it a look. Also Cartels returns at the back end of June as Revengance of Revenge of the Cartels, suggesting it won't be exactly the same, so rumours are going around about new gear and it being raised to raid level.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Have they fixed the loot yet?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

Have they fixed the loot yet?

You mean the rates? I think so, quietly.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity
Anyone played the upgraded version of BL3 on PS5 yet? Do you notice much difference?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I noticed that my bank space was cut in half after importing my characters. It still has all my items but if I want to put anything back in, I’d need to throw away half my stuff.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

I noticed that my bank space was cut in half after importing my characters. It still has all my items but if I want to put anything back in, I’d need to throw away half my stuff.

My bank never carried over. All I got was my main Amara save with her equipment, but nothing else. No bank upgrades, no lost loot upgrades, no items at all in my bank, nothing.

Loads much faster (obviously) but losing most of my bank to strictly remain on my PS4 save, plus them trying to push the whole “daily play” aesthetic, has seen me not really touch BL3 since I finally got hands on a PS5.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

https://twitter.com/GearboxOfficial/status/1402266402195750918?s=19

The Borderlands and Gearbox feeds are indicating an announcement in a couple of days. Some people have picked at the new website and found references to "Wonderlands", and taken with the apparent reference to DnD allignment some think it's a Bunkers and Badasses spinoff or other fantasy derevision of Borderlands.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Fantasy Borderlands sounds fun but they desperately need to tone down their “humor” because it almost ruins BL3.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

The Borderlands and Gearbox feeds are indicating an announcement in a couple of days. Some people have picked at the new website and found references to "Wonderlands", and taken with the apparent reference to DnD allignment some think it's a Bunkers and Badasses spinoff or other fantasy derevision of Borderlands.

There was a 2K E3 leak, too, something about a Tiny Tina spinoff of Borderlands. So this is probably that.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1400587141743353860?s=21

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Happy Hedonist posted:

Fantasy Borderlands sounds fun but they desperately need to tone down their “humor” because it almost ruins BL3.

Yeah. Less of that kind of writing and more writing that was in the side stuff - which ranged from fine to pretty good. They nailed the shooting and gun variety, they just have to work on their narrative choices.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Narrative always seems a lot better where it's not an galaxy wide existential crisis like the DLCs. They have a good setting for capering.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR0ZvJtDZLk

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2021-06-10-tiny-tinas-wonderlands-coming-early-2022/

quote:

You’ll create your own multiclass hero and then loot, shoot, slash, and cast your way through outlandish monsters and treasure-filled dungeons on a quest to stop the tyrannical Dragon Lord (Will Arnett). Joining you are the headstrong captain Valentine (Andy Samberg) and rule-obsessed robot Frette (Wanda Sykes). Play through the story-driven campaign and repeatable endgame content solo or with a party of up to three friends.

Creating your own person and actual melee weapons sounds dope.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, that's the first Borderlands 3 content that has caught my interest in quite a while.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cautiously interested. I'm sure my hopes will be dashed when they kill Tina halfway through so some new character can magically inherit her demolition skill.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
borderlands seems to assume players are a lot more attached to the bland lump protagonists from the previous games than i ever managed to be. i really don't get it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

borderlands seems to assume players are a lot more attached to the bland lump protagonists from the previous games than i ever managed to be. i really don't get it.

I'd say they seem to determined to kill goodwill toward them. I can't think of one character that has significantly improved from game to game, and a lot that got worse.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

if it’s more BL3 esque gameplay with less downtime i’m down but the fact that it “stars” three comedians makes me a bit worried that gbx is tripling down on the worst parts of 3

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I had quite a lot of fun with BL3 so I'll keep an eye on this.

Now Gearbox, with the upcoming game go ahead and start giving us extra BL3 skill points so we can go really nuts.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Devorum posted:

they kill Tina halfway through so some new character can magically inherit her demolition skill.

Don't get my hopes up like this.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Considering they seem to be going with 13 year old Tina again instead her new BL3 look i kinda doubt they will.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd say they seem to determined to kill goodwill toward them. I can't think of one character that has significantly improved from game to game, and a lot that got worse.

I like Mordecai and Brick! It's just the game for some reason want to make a joke out of making them the B-Team Squad along with Tina for reasons?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

Considering they seem to be going with 13 year old Tina again instead her new BL3 look i kinda doubt they will.

I like Mordecai and Brick! It's just the game for some reason want to make a joke out of making them the B-Team Squad along with Tina for reasons?

They're basically her adoptive parents, as of the BL2 DLC.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Wait, if this is the younger Tina, does this make it another pre-sequel?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

Both were significantly worse in BL3 than BL2.

It's like once a character is introduced in one game they get demoted to lobotomized comedy relief in later games, with only a few exceptions.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Gotta make room for all these badass girlboss Sirens on the ship! No, not you Amara, although I guess you get to call them all sisters in dialog. Even if the npcs don’t do the same for you

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's like once a character is introduced in one game they get demoted to lobotomized comedy relief in later games, with only a few exceptions.

except for Tales, BL as a whole really only has two writing modes: overwrought soapy nonsense or lobotomized "comedy" nonsense

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the best writing of the series is the side quest in the first game where you’re tasked to find a guy, discover his corpse, decide to take revenge on him. and then at the ends you’re told “why did you do that please never talk to me again”

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I feel like this could have not been related to borderlands in any way. why is Tiny Tina in this?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
leveraging IP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

lazerwolf posted:

I feel like this could have not been related to borderlands in any way. why is Tiny Tina in this?

because battleborn flopped spectacularly