Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
That's his wife btw, not some random Uber driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Being untruthful in a tweet is an excellent way to start your day defending yourself in court.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I feel like he was just making a cheesy joke there, like how parents call themselves "soccer taxi drivers" sometimes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I'm sure it was a joke but it wasn't cute or funny and the guy was literally being driven to a court date about his multiple rapes. Being cute at a moment like that is like weird, Ted Bundy poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, I'm sure it was a joke but it wasn't cute or funny and the guy was literally being driven to a court date about his multiple rapes. Being cute at a moment like that is like weird, Ted Bundy poo poo.

Both the people in that image have repeatedly demonstrated that they're entirely hosed in the head so yes, Bundy is an apt comparison.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bijou and her sister MacKenzie had completely hosed up childhoods.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/1396537575570034689

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Vanessa Redgrave should fire her agent.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Vanessa Redgrave should fire her agent.

Shes married to the director.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

lomzus posted:

Shes married to the director.

She should fire her husband.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Kevin spacey: “the long miserable nightmare of quarantine is over now that the pandemic is over. I am of course talking about cancel culture”

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cancel Culture can't actually cancel poo poo.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

That's pretty loving cool. Feel like I should see it just for that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tig rules so watch it for her alone.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rhyno posted:

Tig rules so watch it for her alone.

She does feel very much alone

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Release the Predatorially Absusive Stand-Up Comedian Cut

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://film.avclub.com/some-celebrities-have-received-a-new-lesson-on-why-you-1846951839

Well well well if it isn't the consequences of my actions

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

That's horseshit. People deserve to get paid for their work, regardless of who it was for.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The enemy of my 'enemy' is not, in fact, my friend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't feel bad that rich people didn't get richer but that's a bullshit decision. Also weird that poo poo hadn't already been paid out considering how long ago the movie came out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Letting people sell assets and the purchaser not having to also pay out owed debts is a really bad precedent. This sale happened because of Weinstein's legal issues and scandal, but what's to stop a company from just creating a shell corporation and selling stuff to it to just not pay out on a contract.

Like, I make a movie with Bradley Cooper and owe him $X dollars on the back end, I start an LLC and sell that movie to the LLC and just don't pay him that. Is that legal now?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The enemy of my 'enemy' is not, in fact, my friend.

Oh, so people should only be paid for their labor when you agree with it? Good to know.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Letting people sell assets and the purchaser not having to also pay out owed debts is a really bad precedent. This sale happened because of Weinstein's legal issues and scandal, but what's to stop a company from just creating a shell corporation and selling stuff to it to just not pay out on a contract.

Like, I make a movie with Bradley Cooper and owe him $X dollars on the back end, I start an LLC and sell that movie to the LLC and just don't pay him that. Is that legal now?

This isn't particularly novel precedent. When Jeffery of Yospos bought the forums, he did essentially the same thing, buying the assets of the forums, the name and logo etc, but not buy Lowtax's unpaid debts to the frontpage writers. Your hypothetical wouldn't work because you would still own the LLC and Cooper would have still have a claim to your assets because you owed him money. This is only happening because the Weinstien company is gone, and so cannot pay its debts.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

The key component here is that Weinsteins company filed for bankruptcy and what they were owed was past due royalties. Like the producer of SLP was contracted for $X and points on the net. He was paid X and the points for a few years but the royalty payments stopped being paid at some point, probably in 18 when Harvey was arrested. The new company has to any future loyalties but the u paid ones were set aside during the bankruptcy filing.

The $X in this scenario would be an executory debt and if that hadn't been paid, like say they were making a film for Weinstein during the bankruptcy, the new owners would have to pay it to gain the rights. Otherwise the producer would generally be free to shop it around to other studios. It generally says that the new company doesn't owe a % of money they never collected.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 24, 2021

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Skwirl posted:

She should fire her husband.

Vanessa Redgrave, and the whole of the Redgrave acting clan come to think of it, were key members of the British Workers Revolutionary Party. The party imploded over absolutely horrific rape and sexual assault allegations against its leader Gerry Healy. The Redgrave's were pretty much the last big members left defending Healy as the reality sank in for a lot of people. Almost all the other leading members turned against Healy except them.

So what I'm saying is she probably doesn't care about Spacey's abuse.

Edited because despite the username I had completely forgotten Healy's cults name.

OrthoTrot fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 24, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

OrthoTrot posted:

Vanessa Redgrave, and the whole of the Redgrave acting clan come to think of it, were key members of the British Workers Revolutionary Party. The party imploded over absolutely horrific rape and sexual assault allegations against its leader Gerry Healy. The Redgrave's were pretty much the last big members left defending Healy as the reality sank in for a lot of people. Almost all the other leading members turned against Healy except them.

So what I'm saying is she probably doesn't care about Spacey's abuse.

Edited because despite the username I had completely forgotten Healy's cults name.

quote:

Vanessa Redgrave said at a press conference that "these allegations are all lies and the women who are supposed to have made them are all liars. I don't care whether it's 26, 36 or 236. They are all liars"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That sucks to hear because her Oscar acceptance speech is an all-timer. Never have heroes and all that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Crackbone posted:

Oh, so people should only be paid for their labor when you agree with it? Good to know.

I was replying to El Gallinero Gros.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
There's a quote from Corin Redgrave that's even worse but I can't find it now. Something to the effect of "so he raped a lot of women, isn't the revolution more important?".

The WRP was also taking money from Gaddafi and Saddam Hussein to keep its publications floating by that point. True heroes of the proletariat.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
That AV Club article is kinda horseshit though, which isn't surprising since they've been barrel-scraping for a while. Oooo this is a valuable lesson on who you choose to work with and maybe abusers won't get to abuse anymore. Like, it's completely ignorant to the realities of production.

I thought people were being hyperbolic when they said everyone in Hollywood knew about Weinstein the rapist but people really do think that way.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I mean, Courtney Love was talking about Harvey Weinstein being a rapist on red carpets like 16 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g70XbYd0bZ8

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Skwirl posted:

I mean, Courtney Love was talking about Harvey Weinstein being a rapist on red carpets like 16 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g70XbYd0bZ8

Yes, she said a lot of stuff in the past and went on a lot of rants. She was also drug addled for a long time and people found her easy to dismiss. Of course there were people who knew, but you're also hearing rumours multiple times removed being passed around on sets.

If anyone posted a rumour here that they heard from someone who heard it from someone else who heard it from someone else etc how much stock are you really putting in it? If say Rose McGowan approached you and told you her story and you still decided to work with the guy then of course that's a different thing.

At the end of the day it's ridiculous to think everyone who worked for Weinstein did so knowing that he was a rapist. And that those people should get a finger wagging and an I told you so is based in nothing but wanting to feel superior.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OrthoTrot posted:

There's a quote from Corin Redgrave that's even worse but I can't find it now. Something to the effect of "so he raped a lot of women, isn't the revolution more important?".

The WRP was also taking money from Gaddafi and Saddam Hussein to keep its publications floating by that point. True heroes of the proletariat.

Here you go.

quote:

One of my abiding memories of 1985 is of a members’ meeting in Scotland, where I lived, held in the week when Healy’s supporters comprised a faction, i.e. after the charges had been tabled but before they had been heard. The meeting was addressed by the late Corin Redgrave (brother of Vanessa), for the CC minority, and myself for the CC majority. Redgrave opposed charging Healy, on the grounds that it would damage the revolutionary leadership. In discussion, a veteran member of the Scottish organisation asked Redgrave whether he could “look me in the eye and tell me, honestly, that these charges are to your knowledge utterly without foundation”, i.e. should not be brought because they were false. Redgrave replied by citing the WRP’s achievements (publication of a daily Trotskyist newspaper, building of a big youth movement, influence in trade unions, etc) and concluded: “If this is the work of a rapist, let’s recruit more rapists.” (In other words, he knew the charges had substance, but thought they should be dropped because Healy’s “party building” achievements rendered them irrelevant.) This statement deeply shocked those present, and we only managed with some difficulty to continue the meeting in good order.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rose McGowan's story is so insane I almost don't blame for not believing her, that's how terrible it is. Someone claims a famous movie executive is paying former Mossad agents to stalk and harrass you, that sounds like crazy talk. It just happened to be absolutely true in her case

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The casting couch has basically been one big rape joke forever so I don't know how many people in Hollywood are in the dark about this poo poo.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://london.eater.com/22450901/mark-sargeant-sexual-assault-allegations-american-airlines-texas

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Rape Culture means that people can easily compartmentalize jokes about casting couches and all actresses are crazy bitches or sleeping their way to the top away from thinking these things through to realize how monstrous the topic actually is. Especially because so many women were so thoroughly enmeshed in the system that they continually reinforced that this was normal, just a joke, not really trauma, etc. For instance, Charisma Carpenter in her statement about Whedon acknowledged that she continued to sing his praises at conventions after he did inexcusable things to her, not because she was explicitly silenced or compelled, but because, before MeToo, she just thought his behavior was normal and, thus, excusable. After all, directors are always petty tyrants, but at the end of the day, it's ultimately worth a few "personal spats" to make good television. And she was constantly being asked by fans and reporters about what it's like to work with "a genius" like Whedon, so... that's just the price of genius.

And if you heard about Whedon being an abuser, but you also heard Charisma genuinely praise him at cons, the former is unsourced rumor, the latter is evidence. Or for Weinstein, you have all the women who spoke well of him, not just for their careers, but because they genuinely thought highly of him and had good experiences working with him—and for enough people, the idea of a rapist who isn't a rapist 24/7 isn't really conceivable. It's Rape Culture—it's insidious and extensive and has its hooks deep in men and women who should have known better, probably did know better, but Hollywood's set up to make ignoring it and explaining it away the path of least resistance.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1398013535460810754?s=20

poor guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Skwirl posted:

Disney’s using this same thing to not pay all the people who wrote Star Wars books and novelizations of other movies whose rights they’ve picked up over the years. It’s bad then and it’s bad here too.