Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There are photos out of an F-15E with 5 JASSMs loaded, and it is amazing. Looks goofy as hell, drag must be insane, but pretty cool capability. Current max load is 2x JASSMs.

With 5 mountable, you could have a squadron of 12 F-15Es at a 75% mission capable rate, launch 9 aircraft with 6 shooters and 3 alibi firers in case of aircraft/munition failure or reattack, and still have the six primary shooters carrying more JASSMs than a heavy bomber. Pretty impressive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In other news, Chinese naval 30mm CIWS R&D is starting to get a little comical.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

There are photos out of an F-15E with 5 JASSMs loaded, and it is amazing. Looks goofy as hell, drag must be insane, but pretty cool capability. Current max load is 2x JASSMs.

It probably still has a better combat radius than a super hornet.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Dante80 posted:

More like awesome. is there video of this firing anywhere?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Dante80 posted:

MOAR DAKKA

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

priznat posted:

MOAR DAKKA

Yeah, this thing fires the top and bottom barrels simultaneously, too.

No video yet from what I've seen/heard.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MRC48B posted:

it looks like it's basically the same thing as the 1130s they just put on the aircraft carrier but there's some speculation that this model might have multiple firing points around the circle, which is actually stupendously cool if you can get it to work

I have absolutely no idea if it works

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

MRC48B posted:

Not yet, I think this one was from a - redacted - slide presentation. It is a prototype going up against a dual 1130 config for the next PLAN CIWS turret design.

20 barrels for it, against 22 for the dual 1130.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

bewbies posted:

but there's some speculation that this model might have multiple firing points around the circle, which is actually stupendously cool if you can get it to work

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

hahaha that's even cooler than i thought.

multiple chambers for the same set of barrels. wow.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I can't see the dual-weapon design being chosen other than for :black101: value. Does it have dynamic convergence or are the barrels fixed in place? Double the chance of breakdowns and twice the 30mm that needs to be carried to reload the things and *offload* when you dock up.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I can't see the dual-weapon design being chosen other than for :black101: value. Does it have dynamic convergence or are the barrels fixed in place? Double the chance of breakdowns and twice the 30mm that needs to be carried to reload the things and *offload* when you dock up.

It is not really a new concept though (see AK-630M-2, Kortik, Sea Zenith etc).. If I could wager a guess, the prototype above would have a much lower TRL.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The firing barrels are only about a foot apart. I don't think convergence is going to be a serious problem.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Not twice the ammo, the choice is between two dual chamber weapons, just one has 20 shared barrels, 2x11 in the other configuration. The double has the advantage that theoretically something could go catastrophically wrong with one gun and the other could still keep on firing, while with the shared barrels that's less likely.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I don't know if it matters, but new documents show that in the Taiwan crisis of 1959 America has...more detailed plans to use nukes against china than previously known.

e:

quote:

But American military officials preferred that risk to the possibility of losing the islands. The study paraphrased Gen. Nathan F. Twining, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, as saying that if atomic bombings of air bases did not force China to break off the conflict, there would be “no alternative but to conduct nuclear strikes deep into China as far north as Shanghai.”

He suggested that such strikes would “almost certainly involve nuclear retaliation against Taiwan and possibly against Okinawa,” the Japanese island where American military forces were based, “but he stressed that if national policy is to defend the offshore islands then the consequences had to be accepted.”

The study also paraphrased the secretary of state, John Foster Dulles, as observing to the Joint Chiefs of Staff that “nobody would mind very much the loss of the offshore islands but that loss would mean further Communist aggression. Nothing seems worth a world war until you looked at the effect of not standing up to each challenge posed.”

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 23, 2021

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

China posted:

MOAR DAKKA

Is that thing fed by two belts or does it need to divide the rounds up as they go through?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

Is that thing fed by two belts or does it need to divide the rounds up as they go through?

have you played factorio?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

bewbies posted:

:nice:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

bewbies posted:

it looks like it's basically the same thing as the 1130s they just put on the aircraft carrier but there's some speculation that this model might have multiple firing points around the circle, which is actually stupendously cool if you can get it to work

I have absolutely no idea if it works

So it's really two electrically fired guns sharing the same rotary barrel setup???

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

bewbies posted:

So a pair of robotic arms that pull the rounds off and place them into a second and third belt then?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

China is about to unlock fast inserters. We cannot allow a red flask tech gap.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

AETP increasing the F-35’s range by 25% and giving it super cruise makes it one compelling business argument. The F-35 has range for days for a single engine jet, this is even more range. And you get out to that further point faster.

While I take the news with a grain of salt, it sounds like GE's XA100 has met and exceeded every performance promise made at the outset.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

MrChips posted:

While I take the news with a grain of salt, it sounds like GE's XA100 has met and exceeded every performance promise made at the outset.

Yeah, GE’s about to hit second engine to test. From what’s been made public they worked manufacturing witchcraft and built something even better than the goddamned F-135, which is bonkers because that engine runs on unicorn blood and the lost souls of engineers.

The F-35 has upgrade pathways, with AETP bearing fruit we can probably expect the re-engine program to go forward.

40k of thrust with afterburner from one engine that is the same size as the “old” F-135 engine while also improving fuel efficiency by 25% is some serious voodoo. loving voodoo I say. ~10% more thrust from the same sized package is a commendable achievement, but add in the efficiency gains and you just know those are some voodoo engines. loving voodoo.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Given the thread title, figured I'd put this tweet here.

https://twitter.com/Jtruzmah/status/1194885107267461120

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do note the date, though.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Do note the date, though.

I will do no such thing

gently caress :shobon:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Soooo Russia and its satellites are going for air piracy now, cool. Cool cool cool.

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1396443632954183681

I mean I guess it’s good they didn’t shoot it down but still..

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

priznat posted:

Soooo Russia and its satellites are going for air piracy now, cool. Cool cool cool.

Suwalki is the new Fulda.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
There aren't any A-6s flying anymore, right?

https://apnews.com/article/italy-cable-car-84672bf7fcd99f103587cc3862b49dcc

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

They retired the last of the Prowlers in the ancient bygone era of 2019, so it looks like they can't blame the Marines for this one.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Hobo on Fire posted:

They retired the last of the Prowlers in the ancient bygone era of 2019, so it looks like they can't blame the Marines for this one.

VMAQ-2 out of retirement with the Prowler for our Farewell Tour. We're gonna hit this wire with whatever we've got, and it's full EMCON-Delta with our squadron's song! All anyone with a receiver will hear is "Purple Rain" for at least 200nm (unclas-noforn)! 400nm for 5-eyes countries, 300m for anyone we don't have embedded in their CCCI

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

priznat posted:

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1396443632954183681

I mean I guess it’s good they didn’t shoot it down but still..

What are the non-military responses to something like this that the Belarussians would actually feel? Specific to air travel, I don't mean general economic sanctions.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Deny overflight clearance.

standard.deviant fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 24, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

zoux posted:

What are the non-military responses to something like this that the Belarussians would actually feel? Specific to air travel, I don't mean general economic sanctions.

https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1396840714642804741

Hopefully more countries follow suit

It looks like airlines are already routing around Belarus airspace as well in some cases.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

Specific to air travel? Probably not much, unless all the airlines just wanted to unilaterally stop flying there, in which case it would just be a situation where everyone would transfer from United or whatever to Aeroflot in some neighboring country. It's the sort of thing that really needs to be handled at the state level.

That said, if I was some foreign airline and actually gave a poo poo about the possibility of my flights being intercepted and forced down I'd probably spend the extra on fuel to go around it. It wouldn't be anything Belarus would actually feel, but it would hopefully prevent a recurrence.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's never really occurred to me but what kind of training is a commercial airline pilot given for these situations. Just "do what ever the missile-armed weapons platform tells you do"?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

zoux posted:

It's never really occurred to me but what kind of training is a commercial airline pilot given for these situations. Just "do what ever the missile-armed weapons platform tells you do"?

I think they are at the mercy of whatever airspace they are in. They were much closer to Riga than Minsk but were told to land in Minsk after an alleged bomb threat was called in.

If the pilots were more aware of what was going on they could probably declare an emergency and head for Riga but who knows what the MiG29 would have done, probably escalating close maneuvers putting everyone on board at risk up to warning shots fired. So it might be more difficult to do this sort of thing again without severely overplaying their hand.

Some video footage of the abducted journalist’s “confession” has come out and it’s really chilling.

E: predictably there is a disinfo campaign underway to paint the guy as a fascist via ukraine

https://twitter.com/pauloCanning/status/1396896182752972800

E2: EU sealing off air traffic from belarus

https://twitter.com/dpa_intl/status/1396918682027282440

priznat fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 24, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

E: predictably there is a disinfo campaign underway to paint the guy as a fascist via ukraine

https://twitter.com/pauloCanning/status/1396896182752972800

Even if you give them the full benefit of the doubt that Protasevich is planning the overthrown the Belarusian government how non-critical do you have to be to think that forcibly diverting a plane full of civilian passengers travelling between two EU countries is somehow justified by one passengers political views?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Murgos posted:

Even if you give them the full benefit of the doubt that Protasevich is planning the overthrown the Belarusian government how non-critical do you have to be to think that forcibly diverting a plane full of civilian passengers travelling between two EU countries is somehow justified by one passengers political views?

Yeah it’s pretty typical playbook where one “bad” (often faked) thing nullifies their opposition to whatever and/or the tactics used against them, see also Navalny. Term for these folks doing it are “Greyzoners”, either paid by the regime or useful idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Murgos posted:

Well the reason they gave was that Hamas called in a bomb threat on the plane.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1396836037217984514

https://twitter.com/mariatad/status/1396916626621140996

Hamas is like wtf?

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 24, 2021