Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Any strong opinions between Odd Man Out or Night in the City if I was looking to get a noir blind buy from Criterion to go along with High and Low (and thus free shipping)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do like Night and the City quite a bit, but haven't seen Odd Man Out.

Basically if you liked Uncut Gems, Night and the City is very much that kind of story, but with wrestling.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Commissar Canuck posted:

Any strong opinions between Odd Man Out or Night in the City if I was looking to get a noir blind buy from Criterion to go along with High and Low (and thus free shipping)?

Both are essential, but I’d edge out Odd Man Out as better than Night in the City.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Both are good, but Night and the City is a lot better.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Glad to finally see my final kubrick (spartacus) and it's better than people have made it out to be. But I haven't seen a lot of those sprawling studio period epics of the time so the novelty might be carrying me

Anyone have a workaround on playing CC on hdmi? I'm projecting movies on mute on my neighbor's wall this spring/summer and doing live scoring. Youtube has a lot of old 20-45 minute silent shorts that are conducive to this but the CC versions are always higher quality. Sorry if this isn't a kosher ask but as a card carrying charter subscriber they should let me imo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think with Spartacus the issue isn't really the quality of the movie, it's that Kubrick basically just did it as a director for hire and really didn't have anywhere close to the amount of input and control over it that he did with his other films. So in his filmography it sticks out as the one that really isn't even identifiable as his work, because it was made as a big studio epic and fits very nicely into that whole niche but doesn't have his usual stamp on it.

My understanding is at that point in Douglas' career, he was basically the director because he made all the important decisions and so they really just had to hire a guy who could handle the technical details without putting much of their own creativity into it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I think with Spartacus the issue isn't really the quality of the movie, it's that Kubrick basically just did it as a director for hire and really didn't have anywhere close to the amount of input and control over it that he did with his other films. So in his filmography it sticks out as the one that really isn't even identifiable as his work, because it was made as a big studio epic and fits very nicely into that whole niche but doesn't have his usual stamp on it.

My understanding is at that point in Douglas' career, he was basically the director because he made all the important decisions and so they really just had to hire a guy who could handle the technical details without putting much of their own creativity into it.

I think that there's a little bit of Kubrick-ness with Spartacus as the character. He's not outright heroic, there's a little bit more gray than black/white good/evil. But I haven't rewatched my 4k yet, and I'm going off one viewing from 3 years ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He seems pretty heroic to me, I can't think of any examples of him not doing the straight ahead hero thing.

Anyway you need to watch that UHD, it's like a top-5 must own UHD in my opinion.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

He seems pretty heroic to me, I can't think of any examples of him not doing the straight ahead hero thing.

Anyway you need to watch that UHD, it's like a top-5 must own UHD in my opinion.

I will probably get to it in June, then!

Somewhat related, I keep waffling on The Ten Commandments, cuz I've never seen it before, but iT's A cLaSsIc FoR a ReAsOn.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The scene mentioned here in this cool anecdote felt pretty kubrick

quote:

Among the deleted footage was a bath scene in which the Roman patrician and general Crassus attempts to seduce his slave Antoninus, speaking about the analogy of "eating oysters" and "eating snails" to express his opinion that sexual preference is a matter of taste rather than morality. The four-minute scene had been removed following an objection by the National Legion of Decency.[41] When the film was restored (two years after Olivier's death), the original dialogue recording of this scene was missing; it had to be re-dubbed. Tony Curtis, by then 66, was able to re-record his part, but Crassus's voice was an impersonation of Olivier by Anthony Hopkins,[41] who had been suggested by Olivier's widow, Joan Plowright.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's amazing, I knew the basic story about that scene but never heard that it was Hopkins voicing him.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It's also the best scene in the movie.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Thanks for the suggestions, gang. I ended up just getting both because I've yet to be let down by a noir blind buy from criterion. Might as well see if the streak continues!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Worth noting that Criterion Channel has the 4K restoration, which should be a good taste if you want to get the UHD.

Also, Anthony Mann directed the opening scene at the quarry and up until the entrance to the training place. I think the first shot directed by Kubrick is this:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
One of my favorite details is that the studio wanted Kubrick to do something like 30 set-ups a day, but Kubrick wanted to do...two.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I really wish there were a list to browse by genre or even just a list of everything that's on the channel. Without fail each month the "leaving month 30th" there's a bunch of movies I never realized were available. Everything is buried under a bunch of collections or stupid menus.

I watched The Ruling Class last night and it's a high recommend. Scathing and hysterical.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

smallmouth posted:

I really wish there were a list to browse by genre or even just a list of everything that's on the channel.

https://films.criterionchannel.com/

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Thanks! Do you know if this available in the app? I do most of my watching on my iPad or AppleTV.

This is also a neat film: https://www.criterionchannel.com/1968-2018-2068.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 7, 2021

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
No, the app is pretty garbage for anything like that. Best I can do is favourite things on the web site and hope I remember to look at the list.

I mean this fargin thing doesn't even have an indication to show if you've already watched something.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Chris Knight posted:

I mean this fargin thing doesn't even have an indication to show if you've already watched something.

Fuckin what

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Arcella posted:

Fuckin what
It's true. I keep a Notes page on my phone if all the stuff I've watched.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Just stop watching movies a minute before they actually end and the app will ask you to Resume or Restart when you open the movie back up again.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For the most part I just look at the list of whatever's leaving at the end of the month, and say "Oh, I haven't seen this one, I'll have to catch it."

On that note The Manchurian Candidate is drat good and in many ways weirder than I expected. The satirical elements surprised me and while I'm sure I read somewhere that Lansbury's character is the main villain I'd mostly forgotten so it was just a satisfying twist.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I took a class with Nic Meyer (dir. of Wrath of Khan) and he screened The Manchurian Candidate to my class, a third of which were mainland Chinese students. Yeah, they all walked out of the screening :v:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I watched The Ear and it was really well done.

Last night I watched The Return of the Prodigal Son. It's a great primer on Sartre's view on relationships. Hint: it's pretty drat bleak.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 10, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

August announcements:

Beasts of No Nation
Ashes and Diamonds
Original Cast Album "Company"
After Life

meh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahah gently caress yes they included the Documentary Now episode that parodies Company

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
is beasts of no nation the Armageddon of the criterion-Netflix deal

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

John Romero posted:

is beasts of no nation the Armageddon of the criterion-Netflix deal

Nah because I'd say that Beasts of No Nation actually was underseen and is worthy of the profile boost that comes from a Criterion release. The equivalent of Armageddon for the Netflix deal would probably be The Irishman.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can’t imagine ever rewatching Beasts given how loving dark it gets.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

Nah because I'd say that Beasts of No Nation actually was underseen and is worthy of the profile boost that comes from a Criterion release. The equivalent of Armageddon for the Netflix deal would probably be The Irishman.

it's American factory

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
I've only seen After Life in pretty low quality but it's a wonderful film, glad to have a reason to revisit it.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t imagine ever rewatching Beasts given how loving dark it gets.

Same. I initially got excited to see it in the collection but that movie depressed me enough that I don't know if I'll pick it up

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

oh hell yeah nightmare alley comes out on tuesday. i'd missed that one being announced.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
So finally watched The Third Man on the criterion channel last night. Really enjoyed it. Spoilers ahead for the 80 year old movie:

One thing that struck me is that Orson Welles' character is built up as being cunning with great plans. So at the end, I expected him to have some type of diversion or costume when meeting with his friend Holly (Joseph Cotton). But instead he walks right into the police trap, totally surprised. So while the following chase sequence and ending were superb, I at first felt a little let down by Orson's character. Upon reflection though, I realized the truth was that his character truly trusted his friend and could not imagine betrayal. So even as a villain, he really believed in friendship. This just made me relate all the more to Anna walking away from it all at the end.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

checkplease posted:

So finally watched The Third Man on the criterion channel last night. Really enjoyed it. Spoilers ahead for the 80 year old movie:

One thing that struck me is that Orson Welles' character is built up as being cunning with great plans. So at the end, I expected him to have some type of diversion or costume when meeting with his friend Holly (Joseph Cotton). But instead he walks right into the police trap, totally surprised. So while the following chase sequence and ending were superb, I at first felt a little let down by Orson's character. Upon reflection though, I realized the truth was that his character truly trusted his friend and could not imagine betrayal. So even as a villain, he really believed in friendship. This just made me relate all the more to Anna walking away from it all at the end.

The better crime movies of the Hayes era almost always end with you liking the villains probably more than the protagonists.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I remember finding a lot of the first half of the Third Man really dull and frustrating and considered turning it off.

Then Orson Welles shows up and its just a great party until the end.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Watching Klute after blind buying it over a year ago. This movie rules.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Vince MechMahon posted:

Watching Klute after blind buying it over a year ago. This movie rules.

I can watch intense body horror films with no issue but there's a part in Klute where a character casually spoons their cat some wet cat food and absentmindedly licks the spoon that revolts me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Cloks posted:

there's a part in Klute where a character casually spoons their cat
:ohdear:

Cloks posted:

some wet cat food
:v: