Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The GPL would have to be simultaneously found valid enough to grant a license to redistribute the work that it covers and yet invalid enough to not be binding on the redistributor in important ways.

Redistributing a copyrighted work is illegal if you have not been granted a license to do so, that is the root of the GPL's teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

as a general rule, it seems reasonable to assume that if everyone’s lawyers consistently advise them not to fight the case, then that suggests that the majority of lawyers believe the license would hold up in court

if a good lawyer could tear the license apart, or there was any realistic chance that a judge would laugh in the plaintiff’s face for trying to enforce such ridiculous conditions … someone would have tried by now.

particularly if they thought the fsf didn’t actually want to take the case to court. what big software company would settle if they thought they could get a judge to invalidate parts of a very inconvenient license?

this reasoning applies to both sides in the litigation

if the FSF thought it was a slam dunk they didn’t have to settle and could potentially have gotten an even better outcome (windfall damages, publicity)

but allowing a case to proceed can result in outcomes they don’t want (such as only some clauses being enforceable, constraints on what publishing means, etc.) so they also have incentive to settle

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Progressive JPEG posted:

yes, after the suit was filed, hence...

settling a suit is not usually considered the same as either party winning a suit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eschaton posted:

settling a suit is not usually considered the same as either party winning a suit

if you sue with the demand “stop violating the GPL and pay my fees for making me take you to court” and the other side does that in a settlement you’ve won in every meaning of the word.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

here’s an example of what the FSF might not want, but could conceivably come out of a court ruling:

the GPL is broadly enforceable as-is, but only covers modifications, not additions—because a court was persuaded additions should be considered original rather than derivative works—making the GPL essentially equivalent to the LGPL

I can easily see a jury or a judge or panel of appellate judges deciding that, and it would be considered devastating by a lot of people who support the GPL

or maybe a decision comes down that using declarations and definitions from a header file is not incorporation or derivation; in this case, the Linux kernel argument of “you compiled it with our headers so it has to be GPL if you release it” is moot (and the header/codegen clauses in things like Bison and GCC could be too)

these are the kinds of risks that could make the FSF quite willing to settle even when they may have a slam-dunk win, because the license is big and verbose and the law is a messy and adaptable human institution that can deal in things like nuance and intent, unlike code and certain FSF folks’ brains

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

if you sue with the demand “stop violating the GPL and pay my fees for making me take you to court” and the other side does that in a settlement you’ve won in every meaning of the word.

just not in any way that sets precedent

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

eschaton posted:

just not in any way that sets precedent

yeah this is the key. the FSF winning a GPL lawsuit would set precedent in case law. "I'm going to pay you a hundred dollars to gently caress off" just makes a case go away and makes rms feel like the honourable sir toecheese of massachusetts

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

RocketLunatic posted:

if Apple open sourced the graphics for their M1s, I’d love it. not that it would serve a purpose other than to make their Macs again a superior Linux choice. maybe virtualization?

isn't their poo poo actually designed by/descended from that company that refused to provide the bare minimum linux support for older intel onboard graphics?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
continuing litigation after an offer to settle can have implications for costs well

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
presumably the fsf has a charter that requires it to act in ways that further its goals.
continuing litigation after compliance could be seen as discouraging free software adoption.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

stinch posted:

presumably the fsf has a charter that requires it to act in ways that further its goals.
continuing litigation after compliance could be seen as discouraging free software adoption.

their charter is a cocktail napkin with “let rms do whatever he wants” written in crayon in a boston filing cabinet

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

eschaton posted:

here’s an example of what the FSF might not want, but could conceivably come out of a court ruling:

the GPL is broadly enforceable as-is, but only covers modifications, not additions—because a court was persuaded additions should be considered original rather than derivative works—making the GPL essentially equivalent to the LGPL

Wouldn't this also let people redistribute proprietary software (or third party patches/modifications of same) because it would only be "additions"? I know people do this for abandonware, but I thought it was always a grey area.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

their charter is a cocktail napkin with “let rms do whatever he wants” written in crayon in a boston filing cabinet

that also contains half of a sandwich

and an open box of condoms

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Athas posted:

Wouldn't this also let people redistribute proprietary software (or third party patches/modifications of same) because it would only be "additions"? I know people do this for abandonware, but I thought it was always a grey area.

no, the important bit is "gpl is broadly enforceable", so it is not rendered invalid, so that it grants you a license to distribute, but then this "addition" loophole renders what gpl demands of the distributors toothless.

proprietary software you have no license to distribute the thing at all, no matter what requirements you fulfill.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

adding this to the short list of 'honest READMEs'

https://github.com/imaandrew/GentooWSL

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Fedora Cloud 35 Looking To Use The Btrfs File-System By Default

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

judging by the results in this thread that means that no one will make it onto fedora 36.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This actually makes a modicum of sense to me. A lot of times, downloading a compressed qcow2 is about half the size of a normal qcow2, and I would prefer to just download and use an image that doesn't need periodic recompression if I just want to reduce size but not data. I usually have a lot more free CPU time than i/o bandwidth.

I'm still not a fan of having to use chattr to set bits depending on the purpose of how a filesystem is used. But because it's btrfs on the VM (rather than btrfs on the host), it bypasses the issue entirely.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

has anyone produced a “heroes of open source” set of funko pop like figures

Richard M Stallman
Eric S Raymond
Hans Reiser

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

to be honest, I would pay good money for a youtooz of linus torvalds

but I pride myself on not getting funko pops

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
how about one of linus sebastian

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The Freenode stuff is :psypop: in so many respects.

https://www.devever.net/~hl/freenode_abuse2

Every day the network operators think of new ways to really piss people off, like taking over official channels of niche projects like wikipedia/wikimedia, django, haskell, ubuntu, rhel… >700 channels in total.

quote:

As some of our previous channels on the FreeNode network have been taken over by the new staff, these channels are no longer affiliated with FOSDEM. The FOSDEM organisation is saddened by this act of hostility towards the community.

We urge our users to leave these channels as soon as possible and move to the new ones on Libera.Chat.

We would like to remind you that any channel using the FOSDEM name or anyone posing as FOSDEM staff on other IRC networks is not affiliated with the FOSDEM organisation.

Freenode is now whining about "Cancel culture", I kid you not.

Just, wow, the size of this dumpster fire.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lol, #anime is run by bitcoin thread superstar luke-jr?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
lots of words about irc drama

Although taking over and locking down the #anime channel was probably a wise and overdue move… I approve.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

josh04 posted:

lol, #anime is run by bitcoin thread superstar luke-jr?

Andrew Lee was CTO of MtGox, and he runs Freenode now.

The current ircops on Freenode are an illustrious bunch, like someone fired from 4chan's favourite irc server…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

There's going to be a meeting by the FSF on whether to move from Freenode, so I'm in a channel on libre.chat that's mirroring the conversation from Freenode and MSTK3-ing it and wooooow.

I had no idea how tedious the FSF people are.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

the greater #osdev coprosperity sphere jumped ship to libera and +m’d all our channels on freenode a few days ago. glad to see we made the right decision :stare:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I am absolutely going to mine the logs later. The meeting hasn't even started yet and there are some absolute howlers in there.

Probably worth its own thread, the unhingedness of it all is so insane there are currently 250 people on libera just rubbernecking the fsf channel, lmao.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

for sure post some of the tedium, pretend drama is what this thread really needs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

for sure post some of the tedium, pretend drama is what this thread really needs

we willingly use linux, what did you expect

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i'm gonna assume that fsf discussion is following sayres law to the letter:

Academic politics is the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

quote:

$ openssl s_client -connect irc.voat.co:6697 -showcerts -servername irc.voat.co </dev/null 2>/dev/null | grep "Server certificate" -A 1
Server certificate
subject=CN = *.freenode.net

:psypop:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
The "free" in "freenode" comes from "free speech*", duh

* free speech=I can say the n-word as a white guy and you can't cancel me

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the chuds flush out the nerds

being chuds, it will all flame out hilariously in no time at all. meanwhile we gotta put up with their stupid bullshit

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
yeah I was willing to give the prince guy some benefit of the doubt that the whole thing was a convoluted mess. and that maybe he meant well but when you start taking over and booting channels that point to other networks it’s just about your precious ego

I am dumber for knowing about this drama

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

they reclaimed our channels on freenode and redirected them to their own. wee baby bitcoin crown prince can eat my whole rear end

mystes
May 31, 2006

Imagine expending effort pissing everyone off by taking over an IRC network in 2021.

At least the .org people were going to get rich.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

whats the address of that new network the freenode boys made
because im just about paranoid enough that i dont feel like sticking around on freenode for much longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

RocketLunatic posted:

yeah I was willing to give the prince guy some benefit of the doubt that the whole thing was a convoluted mess. and that maybe he meant well but when you start taking over and booting channels that point to other networks it’s just about your precious ego

I am dumber for knowing about this drama

a dude who was involved in mt gox at high levels and later hired mt gox ceo mark karpeles to be his CTO (note: marky mark did prison time over mt gox) was never, ever going to be worthy of any trust you put in him lol

i suppose you can be excused for not bothering to follow along with the roiling pool of brazen criminality that is bitcoin (and cryptocurrency in general), but lmao fake prince guy is shady AF