Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

xtal posted:

If that was asked of me it was a really silly question, lol.

So then you don't know, or there isn't one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

DrowningInDreams posted:

Put homomorphically encrypted consciousness on the blockchain

1. Encrypt consciousness
2. Put DRM on it so it can't be copied or played back without the adequate permissions
3. Use blockchain to create auditable documents demonstrating that consciousness simulations are not being used maliciously
4. Fully automated archipelago/patchwork of simulated worlds trading conscious beings between them according to preferences or whatever

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

If that was asked of me it was a really silly question, lol.

You're being purposely obtuse because you can't admit you don't have an answer

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

rotinaj posted:

What's wrong with my answer?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

rotinaj posted:

I'd like to see a list of things that xtal DOES have an answer for.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

DrowningInDreams posted:

1. Encrypt consciousness
2. Put DRM on it so it can't be copied or played back without the adequate permissions
3. Use blockchain to create auditable documents demonstrating that consciousness simulations are not being used maliciously
4. Fully automated archipelago/patchwork of simulated worlds trading conscious beings between them according to preferences or whatever

This guy buys his weed with crypto

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

blunt posted:

This guy buys his weed with crypto

I am not a guy and I don't smoke weed

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Maybe you should start both things

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
Sociopaths everywhere

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Chia has reached the 10 exabyte (10 million terabyte) mark :toot:

Soon all storage will be converted to its true purpose - storing bingo tickets

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

InternetJunky posted:

On a personal level, as someone who just had to move a large sum of money for my mom from Holland to Canada, being able to buy bitcoin in Euro and cash out in Canadian without being subjected to the banking system's awesome exchange rate bullshit would be one use I'd love to see.

On the one hand, I bet this was a PITA. On the other hand, it should be a PITA because that's how Holland and Canada make sure your mom paid taxes and isn't laundering money for criminals and so on.

What you are saying is "My family has a large enough amount of money that dealing with it takes some effort." Booo hooo. If it was enough money to care about exchange rates and whatnot, you're ahead of the vast majority of everyone else in this world.

ohnobugs posted:

I wouldn't mind divabot posting a little more about his books. I didn't notice he had a second one out until about six months after it was published.

Real life hosed up the second book, because facebook abandoned the whole thing before the book was out.

The first book is the story of a 50 car pileup on the freeway, where every car was driven by an rear end in a top hat that sucked and you wanted to see wrecked.

The second book is the story of zuckerberg ripping a really wet nasty fart in public and having a brief "oops did I poo poo myself" look on his robo face. But then the narrator has to tell you that no, he didn't poo poo himself, oh well.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrowningInDreams posted:

What's wrong with my answer?

You're not xtal

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

busalover posted:

Wait why the gently caress is GBS not mentioned?

because this is the thread where people post buttcoin, the amber thread is where the actual technical news is and has always been

that one dude lookin real bitter he didnt think of doing what divabot does first

divabot is good for bitcoin threads, dont get it twisted

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

Ok so then, WHAT specifically is this narrow, stateless usecase that isn't illegal, as was asked of you?

Immutable posting chain so that xtal can't edit his embarrassing posts away every time he gets owned.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
He's the ideas guy for writing a book, but he didn't even have the idea first.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe that people get paid for writing books about history either!!

All they do is just read a bunch of poo poo that other people said about what happened at the time and then try and condense them and make a coherent and hopefully correct narrative out of them?

like, get a job jospehus

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

xtal posted:

The key difference is Byzantine fault tolerance and censorship resistance. If you don't need that, then of course you'd use a more simple solution. The use case for blockchains is extremely narrow, and a corporation using a blockchain is contradictory. (Blockchains are trustless, but corporations are built on trusting the state already.)

This is the single most coherent thing I've ever seen you post.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Klyith posted:

On the one hand, I bet this was a PITA. On the other hand, it should be a PITA because that's how Holland and Canada make sure your mom paid taxes and isn't laundering money for criminals and so on.

What you are saying is "My family has a large enough amount of money that dealing with it takes some effort." Booo hooo. If it was enough money to care about exchange rates and whatnot, you're ahead of the vast majority of everyone else in this world.

Not even sure how to respond to you to be honest. I'm sorry my mom's brother died and left her part of the proceeds from the sale of his house? I didn't realise that this makes my point about banks taking huge amounts of money due to poo poo currency exchange rates on money transfers invalid. By the way, none of that exchange rate bullshit has anything to do with anti-money laundering provisions. It's pure grift from the banks.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I do not give Facebook Divabot or any entities associated with Facebook Divabot permission to use my pictures, information, messages or posts, both past and future. With this statement, I give notice to Facebook Divabot it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, or take any other action against me based on this profile and/or its contents. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of privacy can be punished by law (UCC 1-308- 1 1 308-103 and the Rome Statute)

There, now my shitposts are protected.

fool, you've created joinder and now your secret government money account can be emptied by divabot inc.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

ChronoBasher posted:

I feel like audit and accounting could benift somehow from blockchain, but I can't really figure out how?

Like a significant amount of effort is taken up every year from auditors digging into general ledgers of companies to "get comfortable" with the numbers and the systems producing the financial reports.

It seems like a unmodifiable ledger based on cryptography would apply here somehow? But I don't think there has been any adoption of it, so probably not.

It doesn't really solve anything as others have said. Audit trails are already features of most ledgers. It would make transactional processing an object of abject terror because if you make a mistake, the only way to fix it is manual journal entries. This would quickly become a mess and cause more problems than it solves in understanding what in the hell is going on.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I've probably never posted anything worth quoting in a book unless the book is about things that aren't worth quoting in books.

But still, divabot if you wanna quote me uncredited in your next book, feel free.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
All my posts are quote-worthy pearls of wisdom; being the magnanimous poster I am, I allow divabot to steal all my great content for his next book.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Complications posted:

fool, you've created joinder and now your secret government money account can be emptied by divabot inc.

Does the GBS flag have a gold fringe? We must determine this forthwith.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Good on you for admitting you dont understand blockchain. Comparing blockchain to SQL databases shows where you are going wrong in your thinking. It's like saying "why use BitTorrent when you can just use a fileserver?" Think about that and maybe you'll have the light bulb moment that millions of other people have had. Cheers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

salt shakeup posted:

Good on you for admitting you dont understand blockchain. Comparing blockchain to SQL databases shows where you are going wrong in your thinking. It's like saying "why use BitTorrent when you can just use a fileserver?" Think about that and maybe you'll have the light bulb moment that millions of other people have had. Cheers.

LOL number go down

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

post itt every time you lol that number go down

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
It's not like Divabot has some claim to writing a book on a nonfiction topic. If you think you could do better, you're free to go ahead and try it.

salt shakeup posted:

This person doesn't understand blockchain, SQL, bittorrent, fileservers, or light bulbs

Like, blockchain : sql :: bittorent : fileservers is entirely, 100% wrong if you know anything about any of those relationships

The Rabbi T. White posted:

big ol lol watching the number drop in real time

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More like dumb contracts.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's like torrenting money, lmao. Imagine.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

My friend's sending me a photocopy of a penny and if enough of my friends do that I'll have a whole photocopy dollar that can only be spent on drugs

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

You wouldn't download a coin

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

lmao this is a thing:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bitcoin-prices-tumble-50-from-peak-and-mark-cuban-calls-the-crypto-crash-the-great-unwind-11621790964

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

It's not like Divabot has some claim to writing a book on a nonfiction topic. If you think you could do better, you're free to go ahead and try it.

This person doesn't understand blockchain, SQL, bittorrent, fileservers, or light bulbs

Like, blockchain : sql :: bittorent : fileservers is entirely, 100% wrong if you know anything about any of those relationships

big ol lol watching the number drop in real time

I disagree, that's a pretty good comparison. Or maybe like Freenet vs the WWW (edit: mixing up my nets)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

I disagree, that's a pretty good comparison. Or maybe like Freenet [edited: originally Usenet] vs the WWW

Why do you think it's a "pretty good comparison?"

E: Fuckin' lol Wikipedia's article on freenet is just straight-up ad copy

Somfin fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 24, 2021

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

InternetJunky posted:

On a personal level, as someone who just had to move a large sum of money for my mom from Holland to Canada, being able to buy bitcoin in Euro and cash out in Canadian without being subjected to the banking system's awesome exchange rate bullshit would be one use I'd love to see.

Of course, that all depends on exchanges not being able to walk off with all your money, the price of bitcoin not falling 50% in a single day, and transactions not costing $15 or whatever the average fee is now.

Transferwise. Although it's just called Wise now, because I guess that sounds more techy and exciting. I've moved a fair bit of cash around with it and it is much cheaper than using a bank. It's also legal, recorded and there's not human trafficking or money laundering involved. Plus if you gently caress up some numbers moving your money around it's not just gone forever and you have some recourse.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

repiv posted:

Chia has reached the 10 exabyte (10 million terabyte) mark :toot:

Soon all storage will be converted to its true purpose - storing bingo tickets

When this was created, the idea was "hey, lots of people have plenty of spare space, they can use this to put it to work!" Did the thought that he created an incentive to have lots of idle storage might result in people buying up shitloads of drives just...not occur to him? Did he not pay attention to what other cryptos did to the things you need to churn those out?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

salt shakeup posted:

How come all the coiners always talk about how other people just don't understand blockchains but then they can never come up with a useful reason to have a blockchain? :thunk:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

Why do you think it's a "pretty good comparison?"

E: Fuckin' lol Wikipedia's article on freenet is just straight-up ad copy

For one, wallet addresses look a lot like magnet URIs.

Really though, the reason they look the same is because they are content addressed storage. For something to be decentralized and secure, it can't have a human readable name (Zooko's triangle.)

In contrast, a file server or SQL database trades off decentralization for human readable names. When they are distributed (such as a sharded SQL database) they aren't resistant to Byzantine faults.

Out of all the examples, blockchains and bittorrent are the two that choose secure and decentralized but not human readable.