Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

hello I am J. Evil Writermans and aren't I just the most vicious one with my wounding wounding words

I think Mookie doesn't want us to like this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Other people have said it but yeah there's absolutely no reason for this dude to give a poo poo about why Snout is there other than to make the reader hate him. Or unless he wants to bone the Ink Witch/Arudak/corpsemom and thinks Snout is an obstacle to that.

TheHan posted:

Imagine reading a comic, turning the page and being confronted with this spread.

Maybe Mookie just got into LNs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Anyone whose visceral reaction to Snout isn't abject hatred is suspect, IMHO.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If it weren't for mookie's track record I would say that the orc guy is meant to appear somewhat sympathetically as a blunt rear end in a top hat who is entirely correct. Hell, he might still be that way - Arudak is a designated good guy and we can trust him, and he trusts him, so unless it turns out his assistant is evilly plotting to destroy the world or whatever (which would be on brand for mookie admittedly) I'm willing to entertain the possibility that he's not written as a more neutral character.

The dig at the end is also fine, it's a reaction to the Ink Witch flying off the handle at him and characters actually playing off each other is something the hasn't really had. Which, well, it hasn't had that because of the "no dialogue" bullshit so we're only getting it now that mookie's stretching that rule past the point of absurdity and is giving us monologues under the pretext of a document.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

TheHan posted:

Imagine reading a comic, turning the page and being confronted with this spread.

At least there's no dialogue.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

YF-23 posted:

If it weren't for mookie's track record I would say that the orc guy is meant to appear somewhat sympathetically as a blunt rear end in a top hat who is entirely correct. Hell, he might still be that way - Arudak is a designated good guy and we can trust him, and he trusts him, so unless it turns out his assistant is evilly plotting to destroy the world or whatever (which would be on brand for mookie admittedly) I'm willing to entertain the possibility that he's not written as a more neutral character.

The dig at the end is also fine, it's a reaction to the Ink Witch flying off the handle at him and characters actually playing off each other is something the hasn't really had. Which, well, it hasn't had that because of the "no dialogue" bullshit so we're only getting it now that mookie's stretching that rule past the point of absurdity and is giving us monologues under the pretext of a document.

Yeah, I'd say he's more of a tsundere than a bad guy. The ending is very "It's not like I care about the dumb, stupid, idiot, cute dog-boy's welfare or anything."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Of course the entire point of this page is how much of a dick the orc is, but... He's right. Snout has absolutely no reason to be there. No one's even attempted to yet explain why they insisted Snout come to them. All their attention has been on Corpsemommy, who they didn't even know existed until the Ink Witch met her when they were already in Maltak.

Of course I'm sure he's some kind of "chosen one" dream wizard, but why hasn't anyone even begun to explore or even address that? Isn't that the WHOLE REASON HE'S THERE?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 21, 2021

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Of course the entire point of this page is how much of a dick the orc is, but... He's right. Snout has absolutely no reason to be there. No one's even attempted to yet explain why they insisted Snout come to them. All their attention has been on Corpsemommy, who they didn't even know existed until the Ink Witch met her when they were already in Maltak.

Of course I'm sure he's some kind of "chosen one" dream wizard, but why hasn't anyone even begun to explore or even address that? Isn't that the WHOLE REASON HE'S THERE?

And if that was an important fact about snout, you'd really think that it would come up in beard-orc's weird career evaluation, since he seems to know every other thing about Snout.

As far as I can tell, the sole textual reason Snout was brought here is because the Maltek library is one of the potential locations for that book snout is looking for. So, IWP and Arudak are doing all this just so Snout can check out a library book.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Wait.

So, Snout can read all of this but not the Orc Klingon's earlier insults?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wait.

I assume this is written in...whatever language snout speaks? Common, I guess, given the D&D-isms. But he wrote the first page in orcish and when dictating he apparently switches languages randomly mid-sentence.

Which makes the idea of who he's writing for more bizarre. Ink Witch and Arudak both speak orcish and that's clearly beard-orc's default mode of communication given his first note and he didn't do the other thing that he does which is jumbling a bunch of languages together...so the way this is written seems to clearly be for snout's benefit, but for some reason, it's being addressed to some nebulous third party.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
A better title for this chapter would have been 'Comprehension Barrier.'

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wait.

He constantly switches between languages as he's writing (well, dictating) because that's a thing super smart people do

Except for now when he just sticks to one because I don't know

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Except for now when he just sticks to one because I don't know

Mookie forgot about that trait already.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I am waiting for the plot to start happening instead of yet another comic consisting of everyone standing around talking about Snout.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Whenever Snout isn't on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Snout?" writing down their feelings on Snout at that moment so he can read it later.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Snout needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
The biggest joke of all this, every character is more interesting than Snout. I mean they aren't good characters either, just somehow a bit better. Any one would make this thread better. Its so lazy and bland it's hard to make jokes about beyond this sucks.

The fact that Snout is his self insert explains so much.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 22, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Whenever Snout is on screen, all the other characters ask "Where's Snout?"

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Awaiting the eventual page where snout is a tiny little corner goblin like in a Kelly cartoon and the entire page is full of text

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

The biggest joke of all this, every character is more interesting than Snout. I mean they aren't good characters either, just somehow a bit better.

The "somehow" is because these characters have relationships with other people, backstories, and goals. We could learn more about their history, or see them do things to achieve their goals, which means they have potential to do things or say things that could be interesting, and things would be happening. This is a big reason why, as bad as Dominic Deegan is, it's not as bad as Legacy because even if the things that happened in DD were stupid, or awful, it has the distinct advantage that things happened, making it at least interesting even if in a horrific way.

Snout on the other hand is a deaf idiot who has no backstory because he's never done anything interesting in his life, was a hermit so he has no relationships with anyone else, and has no goals so that means he has nothing to do. He is an anti-character.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
100 words a page, 0 dialog.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It’s amazing to me how everything about this comic is the stupidest thing.

There’s no plot or direction, just a gimmick of “no dialogue” that apparently doesn’t preclude a wall of text as long as it’s representing something someone wrote down (on the top page of an entire team of paper, apparently)

Everyone except for one guy falls in love with the main character who is the perfect hero, but that one guy doesn’t dislike Snout for being a gormless, useless, directionless softboi but instead for not being evolutionarily necessary and therefore is obviously a villain

Which means, given this strip’s history, he will be disposed of next week because no antagonist actually lasts

And then we’ll be back to Mookie writing meaningless arcane texts and Snout looking at them will like Scooby Doo with giant “??????”s over his head and people will come and go and yet, somehow, nothing will happen or move forward

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Of course, the lack of antagonists also stems from what a nothing of a protagonist Snout is. There's nothing much anyone could do to him nor much reason anyone would bother, and he wouldn't be able to oppose them if they did.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 23, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Two Thief or not Two Thief: Part 6

I know much of the date of this other than were reiterating that I find Bumper's change of heart's pointless and wasted potential. Here he has completed his transformation into good Deegan boy

So I guess the heroes in a fall for the distraction gambit again, despite it being Urban Eddie's repeated MO, up to this point. I mean none of this action really makes sense because we have no sense of where it's happening in relation to each group, and once again urban Eddie's sometimes incompetent, sometimes ninja stealthy, men can move instantly into position without alerting anyone.

This is mildly clever, and even had a bit is set up previously when they mentioned the amulet. I just point out that unless there was a counterweight ball, which doesn't seem to be on that string, there is no way for it to function like a bola. This is a small detail, but it is stupid.

Here it is though, it would be a Mookie story without at least one woman in mortal distress with her boobs sticking out front. This was particularly vicious for what it's depicting when you think about it. The look of horror on Luna's face is really really unnecessary to repeat three times.

Also now Eddie's motivation appears to have whittled down to vengeance, it's not like a character like him would be useful as a recurring villain with a grudge against the protagonists. No he needs to come out into the open to be dealt with.

I know this is a fantasy web comic, and it doesn't have be super realistic, generally, but the tonal difference between this bloody goal or in the stabbing with knives, and the Looney Tunes pratfalls from taking the gang down really is sort of jarring. Suddenly, Eddie is very dangerous and it was stupid of Pam to send the wizards away.

Choking Luna, super funny

I swear, people exit off the side of the panel and they might as well vanish into the immaterium. Here though there is a potential for the story to have stakes! Looks like the villa has the upper hand...

Definitely! Without magic, the protagonists aren't in control, and it looks like maybe Stunt is actually going to pay a price for having dealt with his violent evil thug.

This is actually sort of effective, if a bit of an unearned climax given how useless Eddie and his gang were up to this point. But Stunt appears to be grievously, if not mortally, wounded, ultimately vanquishing the evil he brought into the town but paying for it with his life. What a satisfying conclusion to this story arc, good job Mookie. It's a little cliché, but overall works. Now all you need to do is take the landing and have stunt die in bumper's arms

Oh wait lol, characters can only suffer consequences and die when Mookie hates the fan response to them. Otherwise, going to the rescue, bing bong, white magic solves everything. A sequence worse than Star Trek into darkness

I guess you can have your throat slit and instantly die but have your gut punctured and just be on the edge of death, and white magic will fix one but not the other. I know it's a really seen a lot of fantasy settings, I just find it funny that technically the line between living and dead isn't that clear, and while Eddy's bled out it doesn't mean that his biological functions have ceased entirely, but apparently white magic can't fix that.

Also, this was a cliffhanger at the end of the week. I don't know why were supposed be worried about stunt being arrested for murder, but Mookie went with it because he thought it sounded dramatic I guess.

Two Thief or not Two Thief: Part 7

Thanks for bringing the slurs back Mookie. Also, I don't know how law is supposed to work in this medieval fantasy world but Pam seems to bend the rules for the Deegans all the time. This is something weird about talking about the impartiality of the law like that something that a medieval peasant village would care about on a local scale. I guess Barthis is supposed to be the exception, but remember that this is the same country where people are forming lynch mobs to chase the cripples out of town. It seems like a very modern conception of the judicial system that so far has no courts or juries as far as I can see.

Important to make sure that you still understand that Stunt is a no-good lady hater. I don't think any misogynist in the real world would ever say that he was "allergic to estrogen". Again Mookie's brain interprets hating women as hating them for having cooties.

Luna's gonna make it all about her again. I don't even hate the idea of exploring this sense of vulnerability and trauma that Luna may be left behind a bit as she ascended in magical power. But that's all Luna ever does, is regress and need to go run into Dominic's arms. This is perhaps the first time it would be earned, but at this point it in this repetitive cycle I'm just tired of it.

Again, the Deegans are the focal point in the story that should in no way be about them

Here's another classic reaction panel that Mookie provided us. Also, I love how Mookie's girlfriend characters always just instantly drop whatever they were thinking about before to sex up his author-inserts. Who cares about Pam's internal turmoil, what's important is that Gregory gets his sex reward! And the thing is, I wouldn't be at against sexually empowered female characters in these rolls, but that's not what Luna and Pam feel like. This doesn't feel authentic to the way the character portrayed, so it comes off like a sex reward.

This is obviously a call back to the grey, where Dominic's either meeting for an Instagram filter when something is being indecisive about their future

That person turns out to be Bumper, who is debating whether he should follow Stunt. This sequence, both in the exposition and from Dominic explaining what the phenomena were seeing is, and the resolution to it being Stunt making the decision actually works really well. This ending chunk would be good in a better story. It has some bitter sweetness, sense of growth on the part of the characters, and hope for the future.

And then Mookie ruined it by bringing the F word into it again.

Again, this would work better story.

It's a joke, but it really should be when you consider how dangerous that situation was. Oh well!

And that wraps up this arc, arguably the least stupid of the post war in hell arcs. I know I keep saying it but the next few arcs (Class Action and Snowsong) are incredibly dumb. Snowsong, to anyone who didn't read the comics originally, is the arc that turned basically everyone who was already against Mookie against him. I am cannot wait because it is the one that I have been looking forward to for this entire time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Why is the scientist guy even making detailed notes about Snout? Like he's supposed to be taking notes for something, does he really need to record, "Also there's this guy here who sucks, MAN he sucks, let me tell you how much this guy sucks..." Is this going to go in his research paper?

Also looking at the earlier pages is interesting because, they were still pretty bad but it has gotten so much worse. Less is happening, more slowly, in an indistinct white room.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Beelzebufo posted:

And that wraps up this arc, arguably the least stupid of the post war in hell arcs.

The ending of this arc honestly isn't too bad, like you said, it's just that leadup to it sucked and a lot of it is ruined by things like Mookie feeling the need to shoehorn jokes in at the end of comics as well as his casual use of slurs and "tee hee, sex!" stuff.

I also feel like, for as stupid as Urban Eddie was, the overall plot of "We just saved the world, and now there's a low stakes kind of adventure against some street thug attacking our town" is good. It feels like the usual followup to fighting a big bad guy in these kinds of stories is "Oh no now there's an EVEN MORE powerful guy trying to destroy the world!" so something smaller and more personal (and that doesn't force the protagonist to have to undergo another training arc or learn yet another superpower) is something I think works like this could use more of.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, I'll agree, it'd absolutely be 100% better if those bits were in a even slightly better comic, but all in all the ending felt decent-ish. A stopped clock moment, I can only assume.

It's amazing comparing that to what's currently "going on" because, well, as dumb and bad as most of the storyline was, at least it loving moved which is more than I can say for Legacy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's almost like having an antagonist who does things other than "writes mean things that make the main character sad" makes a story...well I would say "interesting" but this is Mookie so I'll go with "not a boring waste of time."

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It’s so jarring to have Stunt casually dropping slurs followed by Dominic giving an approving smile.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Idk why I never thought about it before, but its kinda weird that Mookie obviously is (attempting) a manga style, with a lot of anime/manga inspired tropes, and yet the original DD is in an american newspaper comic format

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well you see, lovely manga style is easier to draw, but American newspaper comic format is easier to write.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Dabir posted:

Well you see, lovely manga style is easier to draw, but American newspaper comic format is easier to write.

I would argue that even Mookie is a better artist than many of the people drawing for newspapers, its an incredibly low bar

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

The only newspaper comic I can think of that I would classify as having worse art than Mookie is Reply All.

Unless you're talking about political cartoonists in which case yeah I agree.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only newspaper comic I can think of that I would classify as having worse art than Mookie is Reply All.

Unless you're talking about political cartoonists in which case yeah I agree.

Mookie's art on its own is like a 12 year old's first forays into anime, which isnt good, but its not usually offensively bad on its own (except when he draws naked people). I think his astoundingly bad writing and taste in general makes his art look worse by association. If I saw some child drawing what he does I wouldnt think 'wow ugh'.

Meanwhile I just went to GoComics and found a treasure trove of absolute garbage that may be more consistent or "purposeful" than mookie's art but still is less pleasant to look at. Pretty much anything with a political slant is a given, but there's a lot of other newspaper comics that i dont know/think are political but are just so ugly to behold. I think its mostly boomer cartoons that got started before they took lead out of gasoline and have held on due to inertia.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the excitement continues

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

So beard orc literally just left Snout a ream of unbound paper detailing what an evolutionary reject he is.

Mean girl doesn't cover it lol.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Beelzebufo posted:

So beard orc literally just left Snout a ream of unbound paper detailing what an evolutionary reject he is.

Mean girl doesn't cover it lol.
And a note to meet him at the library? :confused:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Zereth posted:

And a note to meet him at the library? :confused:

I think that's from the inexplicably sympathetic assisstant.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
My maturity peaked in 8th grade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

So we finally have confirmation that this wasn’t the library.