Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Organized Crime has been renewed for a second season, which will run for 24 episodes as opposed to this season's eight.

Edit: Also, Thursdays will now be Law & Order night beginning this fall. For the Defense will air at 8 Eastern, SVU at 9 and Organized Crime at 10.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Crazy to see L&O back to over saturating the airwaves after all these years. Are they still working on that Hate Crimes spin-off for Peacock as well?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Finally got a chance to watch yesterday’s episodes and :stare: at everything. Glad to hear OC was renewed mostly because I still want Wheatley to go full on Bond villain

Hearing Sgt. Bell’s stepson (? Can’t remember what their relationship was) in OC talk excitedly about Django Reinhardt with the repair shop owner right before getting his hand crushed was especially :smith: - Reinhardt was a jazz guitarist who lost the use of two of his fingers and nearly died in an accident (he did end up adapting to this though and kept playing).

Also was it just me or was the dramatic music in OC… screechier than usual this week? I kind of liked most of it, especially the weirdly unsettling strings during Stabler and Angela Wheatley’s ill-advised makeout session but during the part when Gina goes into that building after shots were fired it got straight up painful. I haven’t had that reaction to any of the other episodes so it’s probably just me but ow :cry:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Oh boy, this kid again.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
This is literally a Scooby Doo episode now lol

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
More like a bad homage to the end of Enter the Dragon.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Gina :ohdear:

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
Oh, she dead.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
For a moment there, I was wondering if they were gonna do a fake out or something, but nope...

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
So, how's Bekher gonna explain that to the squad?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Oh god, creepy kid is even creepier now :gonk:

I liked Gina :( I thought they were going to do a fake out too, wasn’t that other guy with them helping the cops at one point or was that someone else?

The scene with Stabler subduing the guy in that bathhouse with a towel as half naked sweaty dudes gingerly crept by in the background cracked me the hell up :lmao:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
SVU was a Criminal Minds episode, all the way to not really know how to conclude the episode so ending on 10 minutes of dialogue between a detective and the killer. It's a pity it couldn't keep up the stupid of the first half of that episode.

Also yeah Stabler kicking a naked dude in the dick is absolutely the high point of the episode. A close second is the implication that his wife got blown up as revenge for being a racist cop.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
When I first saw that Organized Crime was going to be a show, on the 30 Rock special last year, I thought it was a joke at the fan's expense. When it actually dropped I was intrigued because Stabler is great watching it and seeing Law and Order branch out into the more serialized more was a cool idea. This show is really so much better than it has any right to be though. It reminds me of 24 in a lot of ways. Even with the usual 'ripped from the headlines' kind of clunky dialogue bits the show manages to succeed.

I'm a little sad to hear that the next season is 24 episodes instead of 8, as the writing has been so tight.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
It looked like Gina got shot in the tit with a paintball gun. Is she even dead? She doesn't seem dead.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

It looked like Gina got shot in the tit with a paintball gun. Is she even dead? She doesn't seem dead.

I feel like they left a goofy window open for Bekher to save her, even though sensibly she is dead and now Richie, his heart broken, is ready to be mean like his dad. I wonder if it will also set up Richie being suspicious of his mom working with the cops.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Thank God I've been dying for a L/O thread. Over the last year I binged vanilla, skipping a few episodes a season. What a ride, it was crazy going through twenty years of show in less than a single one.

Probably not bucking any trends here but Lenny and Rey were a great duo but I ended up really liking Lupo and Bernard at the end.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

YeahTubaMike posted:

Not gonna lie, at first I thought it was a paintball gun or whatever and it was getting faked, but I figure Richie would know the difference based on him shooting earlier in the episode, and I have no idea what Bekher might be doing.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I’m watching through all of SVU and bringing back Nicky Sobotka’s uber-rapist character who somehow became an expert lawyer seems a bit much even for this show. Maybe this will be another episode where someone walks and then they get shot on the steps of the courthouse since that seems to happen twice a season.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I always found it weird how he murders like 15 people but somehow they can’t prove any of it because reasons and they almost lose the court case.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Kingtheninja posted:

Thank God I've been dying for a L/O thread. Over the last year I binged vanilla, skipping a few episodes a season. What a ride, it was crazy going through twenty years of show in less than a single one.

Probably not bucking any trends here but Lenny and Rey were a great duo but I ended up really liking Lupo and Bernard at the end.

L&O season 6, episode 23 is one of the best standalone episodes of a show ever. Every plot line in the episode is firing on all cylinders and the fact that everything kind of takes place after the usual day at work is a nice change if you're watching straight through. It came out three years before The Sopranos officially ushered in the golden age of television and I always think that it's an episode that people were watching and said "What if TV was this good all the time?"

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Aw man, I love aftershock. Bonus tiny Jennifer garner appearance. Aside from that episode I think Ramparts (season 9 episode 11) is a personal favorite. There's an amazing line from McCoy's closing speech that just blew me away and still felt relevant today.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PaybackJack posted:

L&O season 6, episode 23 is one of the best standalone episodes of a show ever. Every plot line in the episode is firing on all cylinders and the fact that everything kind of takes place after the usual day at work is a nice change if you're watching straight through. It came out three years before The Sopranos officially ushered in the golden age of television and I always think that it's an episode that people were watching and said "What if TV was this good all the time?"

I’ll check out this episode out when I get home. Thanks for this in advance.

Ninja edit: One episode that really had me on the edge of my seat was seriously the episode where ol boy rapes the cam girl. I’m over here thinking he’s really about to get away with this poo poo and my anxiety is on the edge the whole time.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

I always found it weird how he murders like 15 people but somehow they can’t prove any of it because reasons and they almost lose the court case.

The one that really got me was the traffic cop he killed. Haven't cop cars had dashcams since like the mid-90s?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

metachronos posted:

I’m watching through all of SVU and bringing back Nicky Sobotka’s uber-rapist character who somehow became an expert lawyer seems a bit much even for this show. Maybe this will be another episode where someone walks and then they get shot on the steps of the courthouse since that seems to happen twice a season.

The William Lewis saga got almost into Joker / The Dark Knight territory in terms of how convoluted and twisty it got. There was some pure-strained Jake Roberts "You think we're playing checkers, I'm playing chess" energy to Lewis.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Oh god, the whole Lewis thing was a lot. Not surprised he tried defending himself in court, as I remember he started out doing well and then just got eviscerated

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HOLY gently caress posted:

Oh god, the whole Lewis thing was a lot. Not surprised he tried defending himself in court, as I remember he started out doing well and then just got eviscerated

And then there was the juror who fell in love with serial killers, so she was mailing cakes filled with hidden razors and drugs to Lewis, Dr. Rudnick and Greg Yates.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

And then there was the juror who fell in love with serial killers, so she was mailing cakes filled with hidden razors and drugs to Lewis, Dr. Rudnick and Greg Yates.

Don’t forget that woman also getting a job at the prison where Rudnick and Yates were because she used her married name or whatever and the prison didn’t do a full background check or something. :ughh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Timby posted:

The William Lewis saga got almost into Joker / The Dark Knight territory in terms of how convoluted and twisty it got. There was some pure-strained Jake Roberts "You think we're playing checkers, I'm playing chess" energy to Lewis.

HOLY gently caress posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhh let's all collectively forget that Lewis ever existed. What a complete shitshow.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

It's the first Randy Dworkin episode on TV right now. I had forgotten that his defence strategy was claiming that the defendant was stealing money to send to Israel.

The defendant's wife just went on a long rant about how "there's no such thing as a Palestinian."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhh let's all collectively forget that Lewis ever existed. What a complete shitshow.

I gave up on SVU for a bit after that came back for a bit and have fall off again.

Another really great episode of Law and Order Vanilla is Nullification Season 8 Episode 6. It basically was both talking about the 90s militia movement and all super prescient in 2020!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Organized Crime isn't doing anything for me, Stapler in SVU was a product of his time but bringing the character back without any growth as a person just feels boring.
Together with the constant SVU crossovers it doesn't feel like it's own show. I will check out the second season, see if it's just growing pains.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Oasx posted:

Organized Crime isn't doing anything for me, Stapler in SVU was a product of his time but bringing the character back without any growth as a person just feels boring.

Seriously, becoming more insane != growth.

quote:

Together with the constant SVU crossovers it doesn't feel like it's own show. I will check out the second season, see if it's just growing pains.

My mom and I were shooting the poo poo about Organized Crime, and we slowly came to the realization that the characters have absolutely no depth to them. Neither of us could even remember the sergeant's name (it's Ayana Bell, which I only learned from looking at a review), and when we looked up the two non-Stabler guys' names, we didn't even know which was which. The only identifiable characters are Stabler and Wheatley, and at this point, they're both pretty one-dimensional though.

One-dimensional is better than ZERO-dimensional, I guess. A whole slew of quantum characters. Not exactly interest-piquing.

edit: also, they keep showing Kathy Stabler getting blown up, and seriously...how the gently caress did this woman even have eyebrows after that? The producers/directors/special effects people/makeup artists/whoever else did a really bad job with that explosion, assuming she is actually really dead.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 25, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Do the opening credits have any of Stabler's gang of idiots? I can picture 'Dylan McDermott' and 'Tamara Taylor' but not 'Ainsley Seiger' or 'Michael Rivera'. They seem really peripheral, and I really wonder if any of them are going to be dramatically killed off by the end of the season.

As for Stabler's character development, they do seem to be trying to go with an arc of getting over his old self, and becoming a new good progressive cop. For some reason this is tied to his romantic arc, but at least it gave us the "Stabler tries to date again" undercover scene which is still the high point of the series.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

For some reason this is tied to his romantic arc, but at least it gave us the "Stabler tries to date again" undercover scene which is still the high point of the series.

That scene was great, haha.

100% agreed about how flat the rest of the OC unit is, I can’t even remember the names of the characters half the time unless I look them up either. I’d like to think that maybe they’ll start fleshing them out a bit next season now that the series has been renewed and it looks like they might have more time to do so but that’s probably overly optimistic of me :shepface:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

Do the opening credits have any of Stabler's gang of idiots? I can picture 'Dylan McDermott' and 'Tamara Taylor' but not 'Ainsley Seiger' or 'Michael Rivera'. They seem really peripheral, and I really wonder if any of them are going to be dramatically killed off by the end of the season.

Ainsley Seiger is in the opening credits but I'm pretty sure the other two are not.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

I gave up on SVU for a bit after that came back for a bit and have fall off again.

Another really great episode of Law and Order Vanilla is Nullification Season 8 Episode 6. It basically was both talking about the 90s militia movement and all super prescient in 2020!

That's how I felt about Ramparts in season 9. I watched it last summer and McCoy has a great line like "if the police didn't want to get caught doing something illegal, maybe they shouldn't have broken the law!"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
:tviv:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Well this has been interesting…

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I guess the final episode is gonna be the court case part of it, establishing the "order."

Anyway, I guess the show has shown us Stabler's growth as a character where he stops the sergeant from doing police violence against Richie in the cell. Also, Richie's character arc seems to be kind of a warning to Stabler, like a 'bad future' for his kids where he can't get over himself.

Top crazy point of the episode is probably the payoff for the cops assaulting the sergeant's nephew-in-law storyline is the tactical support team seeing a press conference, saying "gently caress it, we're too racist to help," and leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

McDermott really chews the scenery in this show and it's great. His lines are terrible but he does a great job with them.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 29, 2021