Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

aren't the Inhumans related to the X-Men, too, or was that just the garbo retcon they tried to do when X-Men properties still belonged to someone else

No, they just tried to replace X men with the Inhumans and made the chemical that uplifts Inhumams toxic to people with the mutant gene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Now the Inhumans are relegated to background characters again while the mutants are still on their multi book saga that people keep buying.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The MSJ posted:

the mutants are still on their multi book saga that people keep buying.
I stopped reading X-Men some time in the late 90s; what else is new?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
^ The X-men have actually gone through some interesting phases like the Morrison-Era really setting mutants up as an unique culture or Aaron recasting Wolverine as Professor X. It all eventually just runs its course and goes back to the status quo though. ^

I really liked the swagger of The Eternals trailer starting with "It's beautiful, isn't it?" Very self-aware of this being much prettier than your usual Avengers flick.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Marvel Comics tried really hard to push Inhumans and pretend that X-Men are a second rate franchise but once the Fox deal was finalized they finally let A-list writers and artists to work on X-Men and started like a dozen new series with a very cool weird sci-fi (but completely unfilmable, thankfully) direction.

Eternals are better than Inhumans because the chariots of gods stuff is more interesting than the very iffy eugenics and noble royals bullshit that always goes in the Inhumans stories.

that trailer is no DUNC though

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Eternals trailer does have a very different vibe and look than the other MCU movies (except for the comedic stinger at the end of all of them).

Comedic and self referential! Ugh, that really sapped my enthusiasm after and otherwise unique trailer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
To be fair, I think every trailer in the last 5 years is produced using the exact same formula.

[Slightly Remixed Version of Popular Song plays over black screen or environmental shot]
[Character says something ominous or philosophical in voice over]
[Fade to Black]
[From the Studio/Director/Writer that brought you...]
[That deep bass bend "Bwaaaa" sound effect and quick shot of action scene]
[Fade to black]
[Rapid series of quick cuts]
[Voice over hinting at conflict with no music]
[Credits]
[Ending stinger with hilarious one-liner]
[FIN]

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

fatherboxx posted:

Marvel Comics tried really hard to push Inhumans and pretend that X-Men are a second rate franchise but once the Fox deal was finalized they finally let A-list writers and artists to work on X-Men and started like a dozen new series with a very cool weird sci-fi (but completely unfilmable, thankfully) direction.

Although I would like to see the public reaction if Disney for some reason decided to skip straight from the Fox era X-men to the Krakoa era X-Men.

"In 2025 we're releasing X-Men: Polycule, where Scott, Jean, and Logan deal with raising their collective time-displace children on the dark side of the moon, followed in 2026 by X-Men: Way of X, which is about Nightcrawler coming to grips with his Catholic faith in a world where death no longer exists."

It probably wouldn't go over well in China.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

To be fair, I think every trailer in the last 5 years is produced using the exact same formula.

[Slightly Remixed Version of Popular Song plays over black screen or environmental shot]
[Fade to Black]
[Fade to black]
[Credits]
[FIN]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAOdjqyG37A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PbkxyZfI8k

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

That is hilarious and a much better version of what I was saying.

That "Bwaaa" sound has to have some award for being featured in more movies than the Wilhelm Scream.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

[Fade to Black]
[Fade to black]
[Credits]
[FIN]

I've been watching old trailers recently and I prefer this to the Era of voice overs that spell out everything.

IN A WORLD...

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

props to taika for his poly triad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I only know there was a bit where the X-Men all got swords.

Also they fought Dracula at some point.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I only know there was a bit where the X-Men all got swords.

Also they fought Dracula at some point.

Multiple Marvel comics have had storylines about fighting Dracula. Dracula also has a floating city of night slaves that he rules as a king and uses it to launch an invasion of the United States.

When you are making comics for 70+ years, you need to either reboot or start just going insane every 5 years or so.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are there still two versions of the original X-Men in the same universe, because fans liked having both the current continuity grown-up X-Men and the movie-reflecting teenage X-Men in the same setting?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

No, there's currently one set of X-Men but they're running a pseudo-ethnostate from a sentient island/dimension. It's pretty good!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

josh04 posted:

No, there's currently one set of X-Men but they're running a pseudo-ethnostate from a sentient island/dimension. It's pretty good!

Who are they? So is there no Astonishing X-Men or Uncanny or BLue and GOld teams now? What happened to X-Force and X-factor?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The heroes and villains teamed up to form the nation, there's still about twenty titles to choose from though. I'm a little behind since I haven't been able to go to a comic store since before covid.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Eternals kinda looks like a Tarsem Singh movie with weird desaturation and less pretty visuals.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I was letting X-Men titles accumulate in my subscription folder at my local shop for about 4 years, and going in every 4-6 weeks to empty it. But my read pile got so impossibly big that I never read *any* of it, and I think I ended up not reading past X-Men Gold 11 and X-Men Blue... 9? Something like that. Meanwhile, a mighty hoard of other X-books are just sitting in long boxes.

I did get the Hickman reboot (I guess it was a reboot?) with them all on Krakoa. It definitely seemed like a solid setup, but I never read past those initial 6 issues each of House of X and Powers of X. So I have no idea where it went after that.

Also, the Eternals trailer looks pretty. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't definitely interested in whatever it is they are going to do. Ikarus, Ajak and Thena look like they're going to carry most of the story weight, which wouldn't be a surprise. I just want to know what Black Knight is up to in this. I need to watch it again, but was Kit Harrington shown anywhere in there?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Doronin posted:

Also, the Eternals trailer looks pretty. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't definitely interested in whatever it is they are going to do. Ikarus, Ajak and Thena look like they're going to carry most of the story weight, which wouldn't be a surprise. I just want to know what Black Knight is up to in this. I need to watch it again, but was Kit Harrington shown anywhere in there?

There's a quick shot of him looking up at the sky to see some kind of anomaly and walking towards it. It's around 1:30.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Necrothatcher posted:

Eternals kinda looks like a Tarsem Singh movie with weird desaturation and less pretty visuals.

It even visually references the whirling dervishes.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Eternals looks decent but not every shot needs to be underlit jfc

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lets see how Chloe Zhao gets mentioned when marketing Eternals. In the West, they're probably gonna lean in on the "from Oscar-winning director" angle. But they can't say her name in when promoting it in China.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Continuing onwards, I've reviewed episode 5 of Invincible in my series.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Anyone who is not reading these: this is a really good, well-written series of essays, and the gimmick of watching the show in reverse chronological order actually gives it a bit of fun that the (very serious) analysis plays with.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like the concept of Ancient Aliens is kind of racist, even if it is giving it to the Greeks as much as anyone. Maybe it's anti-humanist?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's definitely racist. I mean, I'm pretty sure some of the earliest examples openly questioned how primitives could have built pyramids and so on. And a lot of them quickly spiral into lurid race science fantasies.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

porfiria posted:

I feel like the concept of Ancient Aliens is kind of racist, even if it is giving it to the Greeks as much as anyone. Maybe it's anti-humanist?

Some shows are science. Some shows are science fiction. Ancient Aliens is science fan-fiction.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The main ancient alien guy is Greek and his theory is that the ancient Egyptians and Greeks were basically ruled by a secret cabal of aliens who gave them batteries and medicine, but took it all away later.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
Ancient Aliens is a documentary on the history channel. How can it be science fiction huh?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hoop Dreams posted:

Ancient Aliens is a documentary on the history channel. How can it be science fiction huh?

I don't know if they still do it, but after History got so much flak for airing Ancient Aliens, they used to have a disclaimer before the show that said "These claims have not been proven to be a fact and are theories based on the best evidence currently available. Archeologists and historians do not have a consensus on the exact causes for many of the phenomena in this episode."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know if they still do it, but after History got so much flak for airing Ancient Aliens, they used to have a disclaimer before the show that said "These claims have not been proven to be a fact and are theories based on the best evidence currently available. Archeologists and historians do not have a consensus on the exact causes for many of the phenomena in this episode."

That makes it worse

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Yeah that makes it like five times worse. gently caress, I really gotta watch that show sometime, it sounds incredible.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

The basic concept was directly inspired by HP Lovecraft, so...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Yeah that makes it like five times worse. gently caress, I really gotta watch that show sometime, it sounds incredible.

The Bigfoot episode is legit amazing. It has the lowest lows and the highest highs. Starting out with actual honest to god "oh yeah that would make sense" bits about unexplored cave networks near forested area, NOT hollow earth stuff, like specific areas near where bigfoot sightings happened.

By the end of the episode it's about how Bigfoot is a human/alien DNA splice servitor race that escaped from its alien overlords but also is the result of Russian genetic manipulation and then there's a CG "reenactment" of a Bigfoot staring sagely towards the viewer in a forest as a UFO's light then shines upon him.

Completely loving insane to for a channel called The History Channel to air that show but oh my lord that one episode is a must watch.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pillowpants posted:

Who are they? So is there no Astonishing X-Men or Uncanny or BLue and GOld teams now? What happened to X-Force and X-factor?

Most of them are still around. The main crux is that they've formed their ethnostate and had so many weird powers running around that they can go full posthuman and bring any mutant back from the dead using cloned bodies and psychic backups of their personalities. They can also make miracle drugs that can cure most diseases such as cancer and alzheimers and use trade deals for these drugs as political leverage to get their ethnostate recognized as a sovereign nation.

X-Force operates as the nation's off the books wetworks. X-Factor investigates mutant deaths and disappearances. Kate Pryde leads a team that acts as the strong arm of mutant capitalism and Nightcrawler is leading a few folks exploring the implications of how their immortality conflicts with his religious beliefs.

For theories time there wasn't a team called the X-Men due to the ruling councils worries about political ramifications of members of a foreign nation operating, uninvited, in other countries but Cyclops told them to get stuffed and he was going back to saving lives.

Vvvv They brokered a deal with Krakoa, a sapient island, to love there so no living things were actually displaced.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 25, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Was it built on top of the natives of the land, or are they trying to avoid the most obvious ethnostate comparison

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Most of them are still around. The main crux is that they've formed their ethnostate and had so many weird powers running around that they can go full posthuman and bring any mutant back from the dead using cloned bodies and psychic backups of their personalities. They can also make miracle drugs that can cure most diseases such as cancer and alzheimers and use trade deals for these drugs as political leverage to get their ethnostate recognized as a sovereign nation.

X-Force operates as the nation's off the books wetworks. X-Factor investigates mutant deaths and disappearances. Kate Pryde leads a team that acts as the strong arm of mutant capitalism and Nightcrawler is leading a few folks exploring the implications of how their immortality conflicts with his religious beliefs.

For theories time there wasn't a team called the X-Men due to the ruling councils worries about political ramifications of members of a foreign nation operating, uninvited, in other countries but Cyclops told them to get stuffed and he was going back to saving lives.

Vvvv They brokered a deal with Krakoa, a sapient island, to love there so no living things were actually displaced.

Having also not read an x-men comic since the 90's, this seems really familiar. Almost like there was a prominent mutant villain fighting for the same thing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The basic concept was directly inspired by HP Lovecraft, so...

At it's most basic level, I guess. But you could say the stuff was inspired by H. G. Wells's War of the Worlds, too.

The real inspiration/kickstarter was Erich Von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods. And Von Daniken does make the occasional appearance on the show to remind people that he's still alive and wants to sell his goofy books comment on the topics.

It's not an unfun show. It travels to some really cool places in the world. However, you really do need to keep a (metaphorical) container of Mortan's with you because you will need to take the Ancient Astronaut theories wild-rear end bullshit untestable guesses with many many grains of salt.