Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm not sure why I continue to watch Walker, but it sure isn't good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sirotan posted:

But it did get renewed.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
It's on the CW, of course it did.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Sirotan posted:

I hope it runs for 6+ seasons and Jensen Ackles never gets desperate enough to do a cameo.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I didn't see a recommendation thread so hopefully this is the right place to ask.

This is an odd request, but does anyone know of any shows in the same vein as The Crown that wouldn't be too scandalous for an old, fairly devout Protestant lady? My aunt asked me for some show recommendations because I've pointed her at a few period dramas before, and she liked The Crown a lot, but she's pretty old-fashioned and doesn't like anything with a lot of swearing and especially nudity.

Like I said, weird request, but it's not a genre that I watch much of so I'm not sure what else what fit the bill.

My mother in law is very similar, and she self-directed herself into the massive amount of Korean historical melodramas available on Netflix. Your aunt might give Mr. Sunshine a try.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This new season of Evil looks loving sick y'all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Your mom might like Manhattan. I would recommend Mad Men but it does deal alot with sex.

E: Call the Midwife

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Your mom might like Manhattan. I would recommend Mad Men but it does deal alot with sex.

E: Call the Midwife

Manhattan has a decent amount of sex. (I was watching it just last night.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Continuing thoughts on my first time through The Office and, as I've gotten to S4, it never ceases to amaze me how this show outdoes itself. And that's not a compliment.

Now Ryan is an insufferable douchebag? Did the writers think making the good characters completely detestable was a good plan? (And did Karen get sent back to her home planet?)

And, yet, this show has a charm in spite of itself. I've noticed that the point at which Dwight becomes actually somewhat fun is when he starts growing facial hair. He starts to morph from "This guy thinks the 2020 election is rigged" to "This guy thinks the 2020 election is rigged, but at least I chuckle sometimes when he talks."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Karen became a nurse and moved to Pawnee, Indiana

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mu Zeta posted:

Karen became a nurse and moved to Pawnee, Indiana

And somehow she became even more bland.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

Continuing thoughts on my first time through The Office and, as I've gotten to S4, it never ceases to amaze me how this show outdoes itself. And that's not a compliment.

Who are your favourite characters in this show? I really don’t understand how you’re sticking with this when you hate seemingly every interesting character. What do you want out of sitcoms?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The trailer for Evil season 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3UpFxQedM8

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that looks so cool. And less than a month!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Psyched. I put on an episode of Evil to try it out when it first hit Netflix and watched the whole season in one shot. Such a good show.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I didn't see a recommendation thread so hopefully this is the right place to ask.

This is an odd request, but does anyone know of any shows in the same vein as The Crown that wouldn't be too scandalous for an old, fairly devout Protestant lady? My aunt asked me for some show recommendations because I've pointed her at a few period dramas before, and she liked The Crown a lot, but she's pretty old-fashioned and doesn't like anything with a lot of swearing and especially nudity.

Like I said, weird request, but it's not a genre that I watch much of so I'm not sure what else what fit the bill.

She might like Victoria, the 3 season BBC show that started in 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ITV, not BBC. BBC sometimes have good shows but ITV had Downton Abbey which was good for about one season and then a bunch of total poo poo. That’s probably another good recommendation though

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I would say Downton Abbey is worth watching until Dan Stevens leaves the show. Also I will admit I did enjoy the movie, and I will be watching the new one coming out this year.

Trick pick get her to watch Peaky Blinders.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Late to the party but that Qanon Anonymous podcast about Jim Caviezel and his behaviour on PERSON OF INTEREST is nuts. It's also clear that he had...issues before the show started and I think working on it kind of pushed him off to the deep end because what better show for the conspiracy theory guy to work on.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Evil is banana cakes and I love it

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Escobarbarian posted:

Who are your favourite characters in this show? I really don’t understand how you’re sticking with this when you hate seemingly every interesting character. What do you want out of sitcoms?

I said last year Jim and Pam were the only reason I made it through the first season, and they still make the series for me; when I picked it back up, Ryan became a favorite. The minor characters (Kevin, Stanley, Creed, Toby, Jan, the warehouse staff) don't get a lot of screen time, but are fun. Combining all of them and their communal struggle against Michael's idiocy (which is occasionally sympathetic, as I'm seeing right now in Money), Dwight (who I'm coming around on in S4) and, later, Andy (who should just shut the gently caress up) has given the show enough of a charm to keep going in spite of the negative.

That's still largely the case where I am now but, from where I sit, the show relies on the people above to be fun. Michael has his moments (buying Pam's painting when virtually everyone else panned her work and hanging it in the office was extremely :3:, most recently), but they're few and far between. Ryan's heel turn (shifting to narcissistic dickbag) ruins the character; it's like they wanted him to go on a revenge tour against Michael but, instead of finding hilarious ways to pants him (much in the way Jim/Pam do Dwight and, occasionally, Michael), they gave him stubble and made him constantly :smug:; effectively, he's Michael, but competent.

TL;DR- Jim/Pam and the fun supporting characters outweigh the annoying ones and help create a charm to the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1396843627804905476

Making the do not want broccoli dog meme face from 2006

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ah, origin films for characters nobody wants to see the origins of. Thanks for being you Hollywood.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/krolljvar/status/1396843627804905476

Making the do not want broccoli dog meme face from 2006

That guy has a weird bone structure.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

I said last year Jim and Pam were the only reason I made it through the first season, and they still make the series for me; when I picked it back up, Ryan became a favorite. The minor characters (Kevin, Stanley, Creed, Toby, Jan, the warehouse staff) don't get a lot of screen time, but are fun. Combining all of them and their communal struggle against Michael's idiocy (which is occasionally sympathetic, as I'm seeing right now in Money), Dwight (who I'm coming around on in S4) and, later, Andy (who should just shut the gently caress up) has given the show enough of a charm to keep going in spite of the negative.

That's still largely the case where I am now but, from where I sit, the show relies on the people above to be fun. Michael has his moments (buying Pam's painting when virtually everyone else panned her work and hanging it in the office was extremely :3:, most recently), but they're few and far between. Ryan's heel turn (shifting to narcissistic dickbag) ruins the character; it's like they wanted him to go on a revenge tour against Michael but, instead of finding hilarious ways to pants him (much in the way Jim/Pam do Dwight and, occasionally, Michael), they gave him stubble and made him constantly :smug:; effectively, he's Michael, but competent.

TL;DR- Jim/Pam and the fun supporting characters outweigh the annoying ones and help create a charm to the show.

I’m up to season 7 and there is definitely a precipitous drop in quality because it starts focusing a lot on Andy and his love interest. I have no idea if they are trying to recreate the Jim/Pam thing but it sucks rear end and every time they spend a significant amount of time on it it is absolute poison

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

X-O posted:

Ah, origin films for characters nobody wants to see the origins of. Thanks for being you Hollywood.

As long as it concludes with him changing his name to Wilford and getting really into trains, I'll be good.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i'd rather have an oompa loompa origin story. particularly one where they finally get some justice in the end

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Wilhelm E. Wonkazashi, III.

I certainly look forward to this tremendous reimagining where the titular character comes to realize that I don’t know some kind of bullshit and who wants any of this and who even asked for it in the first loving place?

And isn’t this nutsack already Paul Atreides?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Aardvark! posted:

i'd rather have an oompa loompa origin story. particularly one where they finally get some justice in the end

It will actually be a story about how the hero burned down their savage village and killed half of them to make the survivors more docile, so they could fit into civil society. It was a tough call to make, but that's the byrden of strong leadership. What I am saying is that he should be basically Leopold II.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The origin stuff in Tim Burton's Wonka was incredibly bad so I'm sure this will be totally fine you guys

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just stop making poo poo that is based on Roald Dahl works in general maybe

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Now Ryan is an insufferable douchebag? Did the writers think making the good characters completely detestable was a good plan? (And did Karen get sent back to her home planet?)

And, yet, this show has a charm in spite of itself. I've noticed that the point at which Dwight becomes actually somewhat fun is when he starts growing facial hair. He starts to morph from "This guy thinks the 2020 election is rigged" to "This guy thinks the 2020 election is rigged, but at least I chuckle sometimes when he talks."

The development of Ryan is again due to them taking stuff from the UK Office - the original temp character he was based on was only in the first UK season, so later-season Ryans are based on a second character who shows up in the second season of the UK Office who is very different. For Karen, I think she left partially because she shifted over to Parks and Recreation (which was at first going to be a direct Office spinoff with Rashida Jones playing Karen).

For Dwight, I have to say that I think it's funny that after 2016, people spent so much time trying to argue that Dwight would be anti-Trump, when... come on. The same with Ron Swanson, though I think his whole trajectory is also a case of how the P&R writers lost the will to commit to the original character idea.

Hakkesshu posted:

I’m up to season 7 and there is definitely a precipitous drop in quality because it starts focusing a lot on Andy and his love interest. I have no idea if they are trying to recreate the Jim/Pam thing but it sucks rear end and every time they spend a significant amount of time on it it is absolute poison

Yup. Also shows why Ed Helms was a mistake in general.

It is funny to hear how there were people in the writers' room who really wanted Pam and Jim to end up with Roy and Karen respectively, or to end the show with Pam and Jim getting divorced. You can tell they really ran out of ideas of what to do with them by the end of season 3 (incidentally, once they completed their character arc from the original Office).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's weird seeing someone say that making Ryan a douchebag was a bad move as that was the only interesting thing about the character as he was a nothing before that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also Ryan was a douchebag from the beginning tbh.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

His entire personality was being smug and having a MBA :lol:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah smug douchebag Ryan is great and absolutely the best use of BJ Novak as an actor since that's pretty much his range. Especially (don't read this CBJSprague24) after his fall from grace and when he just turns into a walking disaster of bad ideas.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Like Ryan, Andy (Ed Helms) is only tolerable in very small doses. Which is why Rutherford Falls is dead in the water.

I stopped watching The Office at the end of season 7 and Steve Carell left but it seems like it went off the rails with storylines. They had Pam almost cheat with a camera guy who fought a warehouse worker for her? What?.

From some of their short scenes together, I would have liked to see more of Erin and Dwight. They had a good chemistry. Also, Dwight and the dental hygienist from Carbondale. The bumpkin who made love like one.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chairman Capone posted:

For Dwight, I have to say that I think it's funny that after 2016, people spent so much time trying to argue that Dwight would be anti-Trump, when... come on. The same with Ron Swanson, though I think his whole trajectory is also a case of how the P&R writers lost the will to commit to the original character idea.

Michael would've definitely been Pro-Trump; not because he agreed with anything he said/did (and I doubt Michael would've even paid that much attention), but he would've discovered a sub-section of people who would "love" him as long as he wore the red hat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

It's weird seeing someone say that making Ryan a douchebag was a bad move as that was the only interesting thing about the character as he was a nothing before that.

Yeah, this was the most confusing part for me. Also from the perspective of someone who recently rewatched the entire series I have trouble relating to seeing Jim and Pam as the good characters given how annoying they get in later seasons.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Hakkesshu posted:

Just stop making poo poo that is based on Roald Dahl works in general maybe

James and the Giant Peach owns I'll fight u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CW pilot news, Powerpuff Girls' pilot got rejected but they're getting another go at it with the same cast . The Black Lightning spin-off Painkiller has been passed on.