Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sjs00 posted:

I really enjoy the crunchy pizza crusts, so much so that sometimes I just eat the crust and then the rest later if at all.
So can you guys recommend me a bitchin crunchy breadstick recipe? I am a decent bread baker by recipe

e this entire page is just delicious

I'd look at the recipe for a detroit style pizza dough or sicilian style. Anything made with a TON of olive oil in the pan itself will end up frying the bottom of the crust to a golden crisp crunch.

I think a focaccia would do the trick too, really. Just remember there's not really such a thing as too much olive oil since it'll get soaked up a bit in to the dough, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Gwaihir posted:

I'd look at the recipe for a detroit style pizza dough or sicilian style. Anything made with a TON of olive oil in the pan itself will end up frying the bottom of the crust to a golden crisp crunch.

I think a focaccia would do the trick too, really. Just remember there's not really such a thing as too much olive oil since it'll get soaked up a bit in to the dough, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1O3uHPCOLA from about 7:10 he goes into deep dish pizza and that is a very good recipe with the overnight rise and so on.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a baguette recipe they like? My attempts have been with Peter Reinhart's recipe from The Bread Maker's Apprentice. I've been vexed at every attempt, usually it overproofs in the couche to a puffy mess that sticks no matter how heavily I flour the cloth. In the end, they are more like ugly Italian sandwich rolls than the tight, chewy tangy baguettes I dream of. I'm also thinking of investing in a baguette tray for baking, since I always end up ruining them when I load the oven.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Yeah just get the baguette tray, it makes a massive difference. I use a Paul Hollywood recipe but it isn't very authentic, just a more or less standard white bread mix. I think traditional ones reuse old dough for extra tang?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Example, tray works well. Still proved in a canvas couche.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Aw yeah, those look much better than my attempts. I’ll either use the pate fermente or levain to give it that extra tang.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Any idea why my sourdough get these two distinct layers:

I've seen it happen a few times. Still works fine. I'm just curious.

My best guess is that I stir round and round more than up and down. I go water, starter, flour, so maybe that's it? On the other hand, it's a loving yeast infection, it's supposed to go everywhere.

Fake edit: Next time I'll make sure to mix it like crazy and report back.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Ultra Carp
nm

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

bolind posted:

Any idea why my sourdough get these two distinct layers:

I've seen it happen a few times. Still works fine. I'm just curious.

My best guess is that I stir round and round more than up and down. I go water, starter, flour, so maybe that's it? On the other hand, it's a loving yeast infection, it's supposed to go everywhere.

Fake edit: Next time I'll make sure to mix it like crazy and report back.

It could be that the lower bubbles cannot escape while the upper bubbles do?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That's certainly possible!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Tried again, this time making extra sure that things were mixed top-to-bottom instead of just stirred. Same results...

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the access to oxygen?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I want to pick up some more Dutch ovens to use in the wood-fired oven. I have a Le Creuset 3.5qt that I use quite a bit. I have a larger one but there's a point where they get pretty heavy and bulky; 3.5 qt seems to be a good spot for me.

I might just accumulate two more over some time like that. I don't think I need the actual Dutch ovens and the one I'm using I don't think even actually is one. I think it's more of a sauteuse. They changed what exactly was up since I got it so there's no longer a 1:1 comparison. However, given the abuse of dragging these across bricks that have a little bit of grit on them and a fire nearby, I was also considering cheaper stuff like Cuisinart or Lodge.

The bizarro option is the Dansk Kobenstyle. It's made from carbon steel and is considerably lighter. The thermal performance is going to be different, and I'm afraid if it'll end up conducting the fire right into whatever I'm making in it and turn it all into charcoal. I am still seduced by the ergonomics and weight. Has anybody played with one of these?

Edit: I did get the steel knobs for my Le Creusets and consider them essential to use in a wood-fired oven.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

bolind posted:

Tried again, this time making extra sure that things were mixed top-to-bottom instead of just stirred. Same results...

It's just another data point, but I checked out my sourdough starter in the fridge. It has a similar pattern. I wouldn't say the stratification is so start but there are definitely more air pockets lower down in it. That starter's been mixed and remixed to hell and back and hydrated in the fridge for two weeks with some of that stuff.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I wasn't paying attention and was following instructions to make a levain from FWSY. Usually I make 500g levain if the final recipe calls for 360g instead of the 1000g the dumb book directs you to make and then throw away 2/3rds of.

If I just sub out equal amounts of water and flour can I sub in more levain without issues since the levain is 1:1?

Otherwise I guess I can make crackers.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sorta. There will be some lactic in there that may make the dough slacker then you're used to.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Self response:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The bizarro option is the Dansk Kobenstyle.

I ordered one and it showed up today. It did include use and care instructions that I had trouble finding online. It claims a maximum of 450F, which is pretty poor compared Le Creuset Dutch ovens with steel knobs. I couldn't get an absolute limit but "above 500F" was listed a few places. OTOH I think the general take is even 500F is pretty rough with Le Creuset, and I am definitely getting myself a seasoning coating from all the use that won't come off. So if that's all that happens then it's a badge of honor.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i attempted breadcube, fell a bit short:

king arthur pain de mie recipe; i think i underbaked it a bit

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
If I want my sourdough bread to be more sour, where do I tweak?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

bolind posted:

Maybe try a longer bulk ferment?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That or after final shaping and a little proofing put in the fridge until bake time. Regardless you want the fridge.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

bolind posted:

Making my starter contain more rye flour helped a lot for me. I used to have 100% rye but switched to 50% rye flour 50% normal flour as the dough was easier to handle with less rye. You'll probably get a stronger rise too!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I made the standard bread, with a poolish, recipe from salt yeast water flour and HOLY poo poo it was wet and slack. I though it was a complete failure, during mixing I wasn't able to get it to have any tension. Not to worry! The book says! Fold it a couple of times after mixing! Just 2-4 times! NO. I folded it like 10+ times and it never really got much structure. I thought it would be a complete failure but I just dumped the dough straight from the proofing bowl into the hot dutch oven and somehow it came out ok.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
That's all bread is really. Years and years of countless iterations of "I think I hosed up/this can't be right" followed by forging ahead anyway and it turning out pretty ok, actually.

The very first fermented foods didn't start out on purpose! :yum:

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Did the same recipe also for the first time two days ago - I think the ~78% hydration coupled with the humidity where I am kinda hosed me - couldn’t get any tension during shaping and even when I got it in the banneton i didn’t use enough flour so it stuck like crazy and deflated when I tried to get it out

Taste was great though! That overnight proof is no joke, really adds something. I knocked the hydration down to 75% the next day and tried again and that was waaaaay more manageable

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Did it affect the taste much? I might try that same thing. I'm making bread for guests and I'd like to be able to actually shape it properly this time and get a bit more of a rise out of it.

edit: and it was sort of nice biting into the bread and it just being ... WET. But when I let it cool down completely then put it into a ziploc bag, it wasn't crusty any more when I took it out. The crust was there but, while it wasn't damp, it was soft.

redreader fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 10, 2021

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
FWSY is all about high-hydration doughs, so it makes sense that the dough was wet.

For storing the bread, I use beeswax cloth. If you don't cover the bread it will dry out too much and the whole thing will be too hard. If you put it in a sealed bag, it will soften the whole thing. I find beeswax cloth be the best middle ground for moisture retention when storing bread. This goes for any bread, not just FWSY-style loaves.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry to be a pain in the rear end but I can't imagine how that works. Do you have a photo or something? We do have some beeswax cloth and it's stiff as a board, and too small to wrap giant breads in, I think. Do you put it in something and cover the thing with the cloth, or do you have a gigantic beeswax cloth?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://breadtopia.com/product-category/bread-baking-supplies/bread-storage-bags-bees-bread-wrap/

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
I think the FWSY guy has a bit in the book where he tells ya to just make peace with the fact that stored bread will get a soft crust. If you want it crusty toast it or eat it day-of imo

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

redreader posted:

Sorry to be a pain in the rear end but I can't imagine how that works. Do you have a photo or something? We do have some beeswax cloth and it's stiff as a board, and too small to wrap giant breads in, I think. Do you put it in something and cover the thing with the cloth, or do you have a gigantic beeswax cloth?

My wife made a cotton beeswax bag that I keep bread in, its pretty good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

bradburypancakes posted:

I think the FWSY guy has a bit in the book where he tells ya to just make peace with the fact that stored bread will get a soft crust. If you want it crusty toast it or eat it day-of imo

I hope you're right. I forgot to set a timer yesterday and had resigned myself to breaking bread knives off in this loaf.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just read that a few days ago but I think it's something like "the best method for bread storage is a ziploc bag but it will soften the crust"

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I generally do something like put it in a plastic shopping bag cut side down on a shelf and only keep the bag very loosely wrapped around the loaf, this seems to work pretty well. The crumb doesn’t stale out too fast but the crust stales a bit and stays crusty.

I guess maybe a paper bag would be good for this too but I don’t usually have many of those around.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Made another sesame Pullman

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

fourwood posted:

I generally do something like put it in a plastic shopping bag cut side down on a shelf and only keep the bag very loosely wrapped around the loaf, this seems to work pretty well. The crumb doesn’t stale out too fast but the crust stales a bit and stays crusty.

I guess maybe a paper bag would be good for this too but I don’t usually have many of those around.

I use a massive metal cake tin, works pretty well. Anything we haven't eaten in 2 days gets crumbed for recipes anyway.

That said I think my bread making has got a bit "stale" haha. Can someone recc a bread recipe that blew them away recently I want to do something special. IDY only, I don't have starter or fresh on hand.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I have reusable plastic covers in different sizes with elastic band to cover food and other stuff. They look like plastic shower caps.
I like to put them on the bread so they cover the crumb, but not the crust.

This way the crumb stays well hydrated without making the crust soggy.
The bread will still lose hydration through the crust over time, you can see it after 4-5 days as the crumb near the crust will look dry compared to the center. But the process is way slower compared to the hydration the bread would lose with an uncovered crumb.

I have heard that unglazed clay pots are good for keeping bread fresh but crispy, too, but I haven't tried it myself.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
On that note: I'm making the fswy poolish white dutch oven bread again today for lunch tomorrow. I didn't want to wake up at 6 or 7am tomorrow (if I were to make the poolish today at 4 or 5pm) so I put the poolish together at 11:50pm last night. I'm going to bake it some time this afternoon and just not cut into it until our guests come over for lunch tomorrow. Does an intact loaf stay better longer?

Or should I introduce a fridge step, where I leave it in the fridge overnight then take it out to bake it?

Or does poolish bread stay good a bit longer?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

redreader posted:

On that note: I'm making the fswy poolish white dutch oven bread again today for lunch tomorrow. I didn't want to wake up at 6 or 7am tomorrow (if I were to make the poolish today at 4 or 5pm) so I put the poolish together at 11:50pm last night. I'm going to bake it some time this afternoon and just not cut into it until our guests come over for lunch tomorrow. Does an intact loaf stay better longer?

Or should I introduce a fridge step, where I leave it in the fridge overnight then take it out to bake it?

Or does poolish bread stay good a bit longer?

giving it time in the fridge is going to help develop flavor, and you'll also get to tell your guests you baked them fresh bread that day. if you have the time that's what i would do

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Chard posted:

giving it time in the fridge is going to help develop flavor, and you'll also get to tell your guests you baked them fresh bread that day. if you have the time that's what i would do

I'm about to mix the dough because the poolish will be ready soon. I'm supposed to mix it, leave it for 3 hours then form the loaf and leave it for an hour then bake it.

When would I stick it in the fridge? I assume some time after mixing it and before forming it. If I take it out of the fridge at 8am tomorrow to shape it and then bake it.... when do I put it in the fridge? I'm thinking something like: I mix it now, then leave it out and fold it a couple of times to help it get structure in the first hour. Then I stick it in the fridge until 8am replacing 2 hours of out-of-fridge proofing, with 18? hours of the fridge? Would that work or uhhhh????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

redreader posted:

I'm about to mix the dough because the poolish will be ready soon. I'm supposed to mix it, leave it for 3 hours then form the loaf and leave it for an hour then bake it.

When would I stick it in the fridge? I assume some time after mixing it and before forming it. If I take it out of the fridge at 8am tomorrow to shape it and then bake it.... when do I put it in the fridge? I'm thinking something like: I mix it now, then leave it out and fold it a couple of times to help it get structure in the first hour. Then I stick it in the fridge until 8am replacing 2 hours of out-of-fridge proofing, with 18? hours of the fridge? Would that work or uhhhh????

i think you've basically got it as far as timing. take all this with a grain of salt cuz im far from expert; i'm mostly drawing from times i've had to leave my sourdough or pizza dough in the fridge for longer than expected, and in those cases it has always been just as good if not better.

Chard fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 12, 2021