Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Anyone here have any experience with Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome? This is a total internet self-diagnosis, but all the symptoms I have seem to match:

• Starts from stress and sitting all day
  • The pelvic floor muscles tighten up and send pain through the pelvis and groin -- feels like a "pelvic migraine" that hurts the taint, balls, and dick (this sucks just as much as you might imagine)
  • Stretching helps (there's a couple videos online that did me a world of good)
  • When I feel it start to flare up, I can tell myself that it'll go away, and it often does (but when it doesn't, any sensation down there makes me flinch)
  • The anxiety -> pain feedback loop is bad with this (which is mostly why I'm posting it here in the mental health thread)

This has been going on intermittently for just about a year now (started with the onset of covid) and it's a lot better than it was last year, but I'm sort of worried that it's still hanging around. Now that I'm vaccinated I set up a urologist appointment for it, but in the meantime, just wondering if any of you guys have something similar and if there's any solutions you found.

edit: the worst snipe since that lovely Clint Eastwood movie

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've not heard of that, but I was diagnosed with sacroiliitis while still on active duty, which is in the same ball park. Though in the past decade, it's not been problematic at all. Something like 6% of my unit was diagnosed with it within a year of returning from deployment. I attribute my lack of inflammation to heavy cannabis use, but correlation isn't causation and while cannabis has anti-inflammatory properties, nothing has been proven yet, so don't take that as reliable, I just like weed.

Then there's brucellosis, which is a disease spread amongst livestock. It can lead to something called Ankylosing Spondylitis, which also plays hell on the lower back and pelvis. Brucellosis presents like a flu, knocks you down for a few days to a week if it's not serious. Occasionally you hear about people in the US coming down with it, usually livestock farmers. On deployments, avoid bazaar camels, don't ride them or pet them, get pictures of the idiots in your unit doing that poo poo.

Point is, there's a lot of stuff that could be the problem. VA medicine being what it is, you might want to seek a second opinion.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

My wife pointed out how mean i was being too myself for being basically ADHD, like forgetful or impulsive; it's also the core of a lot of my abuse and trauma, because I was a kid and couldn't explain how different I felt to my mother, who was genuinely more oppressed than I could even imagine, being a lesbian teacher in 90's Texas.

I'm not sure where I was doing with that but just remember that you can be nice to yourself without giving yourself a bunch of excuses.

So realtalk on this, if you don't mind sharing--How did you get diagnosed and what was the process like.

tl;dr I have similar issues. I can tell you exactly how a project should be planned and executed, but I can't actually execute. I've been terrified of "meds" for years because of various things, but at this point I'm tired of not being able to do things more than I'm scared of pills.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

quote:

GOOGLE "ADULT ADHD DIAGNOSIS [your town]" AND KEEP TRYING EVERY CLINIC UNTIL YOU FIND SOME ONE WHO WILL TAKE YOU.

I've been in therapy the past few years and a lot of my trauma was from really ADHD kid stuff, and recalled being diagnosed as a child so I led with that, tbh.

That being said, they interview you and ask you why you came, and interview you a bit. I told them every thing I sucked at and felt like I couldn't get right, from homework to shoplifting for no reason as a kid, to not really knowing how to book appointments and avoiding my debts and savings.

You can take an ADHD self audit and it can give you some good ideas of the questions.

After that, they made me play the worst videogame of my life. You just have to push the button when the screen flashes with the right image; everyone fucks up, but it's unique for ADHD brains to gently caress up in specific ways I guess.

After testing review and diagnosis, I told the doctor I wanted to try medications but avoid stimulants, even using off label ADHD treatments first.

I was on Wellbutrin before diagnosis; it helped with some bad seasonal and event induced depression but not too much ADHD stuff. They tried Straterra, and I had some improvement but I was still having bad issues remembering important things; then we tried the first stim, Vynase, because I was worried about stronger stimulants making my anxiety worse. It definitely helped but then I couldn't sleep at night at effective doses because it's so long lasting

They went to Adderall by the end of it all but I'm happy that I tried the alternatives too. There's no right answer on what you and your history jive with when it comes to medications and diagnosis.

You didn't read any of that did you? It's fine you may be more likely have ADHD though. Don't get too distracted by these videos.

quote:

GOOGLE "ADULT ADHD DIAGNOSIS [your town]" AND KEEP TRYING EVERY CLINIC UNTIL YOU FIND SOME ONE WHO WILL TAKE YOU.

This was the hardest part.

You have to get it done and people with ADHD suck at making themselves HAVE TO, unless they can get it by waiting. It's an executive dysfunction.

Here's a humorous self audit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iozAFIr3BEw

Here's my favorite ADHD awareness/lifestyling YouTuber talking about the humorous audit and you should subscribe to her for good short actually engaging advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxMpajLtu_g

Here's an educational video about the impact it has on adult mental health:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZrZa5pLXk

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 7, 2021

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

You didn't read any of that did you?

...welp.

I was there until the paragraph about different meds.

Anyway, thanks a ton for that, I really appreciate it. It gives me a good place to start and I'll see about doing some follow up.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I’d really like some help with one of my former junior Marines. He’s had a rough few years recently, but has been decently stable since getting out. However, I’ve been talking with him on encrypted messaging apps and he has been spiraling since February. He has been acting more and more paranoid, and I’m getting really concerned but I don’t know how to help.

Does anyone have any advice? You can post or PM me.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I’d really like some help with one of my former junior Marines. He’s had a rough few years recently, but has been decently stable since getting out. However, I’ve been talking with him on encrypted messaging apps and he has been spiraling since February. He has been acting more and more paranoid, and I’m getting really concerned but I don’t know how to help.

See if you can get him on an actual call. Sometimes hearing the other person's voice helps. At least, I've had luck with that in the past.

I can understand that you might be hesitant to call any form of services, god only knows how they will interact with him.

Try to at least talk over the phone so you can gauge how bad they are, and how desperately they need help/treatment. I would rather be the guy who made people knock on the door, and everything is ok, than have no one knock.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
One thing to keep in mind that I think is important is that helping bring them around is going to be a long-haul effort. Reaching out consistently and providing gentle pressure to steer the ship of their life in a better direction is reasonable and laudable goal. Trying to turn them around in one or two conversations is a trap that is easy to fall into and often backfires.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
There was a guy in my apartment building acting erratically towards other residents. I called the suicide hotline for advice.

This may be completely unethical* but I got the guy’s contact info from a friend of mine who works in the leasing office (and has first hand knowledge of his erratic behavior as well as his veteran status). I forwarded his contact info to the suicide hotline and they reached out to him.

I think it was a positive experience for him because there weren’t any other incidents (he since moved out).

*I ignored the ethical implications because he’s a black man acting erratically and the building manager was threatening to call the cops on him.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

There was a guy in my apartment building acting erratically towards other residents. I called the suicide hotline for advice.

This may be completely unethical* but I got the guy’s contact info from a friend of mine who works in the leasing office (and has first hand knowledge of his erratic behavior as well as his veteran status). I forwarded his contact info to the suicide hotline and they reached out to him.

I think it was a positive experience for him because there weren’t any other incidents (he since moved out).

*I ignored the ethical implications because he’s a black man acting erratically and the building manager was threatening to call the cops on him.

Suicide line guys will call a person for you? I didn't know that. That may have prevented some poo poo if I knew this years ago.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ASAPI posted:

Suicide line guys will call a person for you? I didn't know that. That may have prevented some poo poo if I knew this years ago.

Like I said, there may be some serious ethical grey areas to the whole situation, but I was desperate to get this dude some help. The suicide hotline (the 8255 number) person said they would contact him so I just kind of took a leap of faith with it.

If I got into some legal trouble for violating privacy or something, I would make the same decision again anyway.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

Like I said, there may be some serious ethical grey areas to the whole situation, but I was desperate to get this dude some help. The suicide hotline (the 8255 number) person said they would contact him so I just kind of took a leap of faith with it.

If I got into some legal trouble for violating privacy or something, I would make the same decision again anyway.

Grey areas aside, this is incredibly useful. I've had some guys in the past that this could have helped (I already had contact info), hopefully I don't need them again, but it is a great tool to have access to.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ASAPI posted:

Grey areas aside, this is incredibly useful. I've had some guys in the past that this could have helped (I already had contact info), hopefully I don't need them again, but it is a great tool to have access to.

Also just for your full information (as well as to the benefit of the thread maybe): I did not say or even hint he was suicidal when I called.

I said that he was acting erratic and having violent outbursts towards other residents, including death threats. And my main concern was getting him help before someone calls the cops on him, because he is a black man in 2021 America at any point in history.

Typing that last sentence just depressed the gently caress out of me.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Whenever someone suggests calling the police for disturbances/nuisance calls, I typically ask if we're trying to kill someone, and that usually discourages most people.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

Whenever someone suggests calling the police for disturbances/nuisance calls, I typically ask if we're trying to kill someone, and that usually discourages most people.

Sometimes a state's or a county's mental health deptartment has a mobile crisis team on call. If you're worried about calling the cops on the person, maybe try calling them first. Do note that if the person has a weapon or is threatening violence, the mobile crisis team will almost assuredly call the cops themselves.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I was trying to find my local orgs to keep safe and found this very comprehensive list. I have excerpted most of the phone numbers but the following link has more information.

https://www.healthyplace.com/other-info/resources/mental-health-hotline-numbers-and-referral-resources

"Suicide Hotline Phone Numbers" posted:

If you feel suicidal or you're in a crisis situation and need immediate assistance, people at these suicide hotlines in the U.S. are there to help. We have additional suicide information and resources here.

• 1-800-273-8255 (1-800-273-TALK) - National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
  • 1-800-784-2433 (1-800-SUICIDE) - National Hopeline Network
  • 1-866-488-7386 (1-866-4.U.TREVOR aimed at gay and questioning youth)

Domestic Abuse and Child Abuse Hotline

• Child Abuse Hotline -- 800-4-A-CHILD (800 422 4453)
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline -- 800-799-7233
  • Missing & Exploited Children Hotline -- 1-800-843-5678

Drug and Alcohol

• National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence (NCADD)-- 1-800-622-2255
  • Partnership for Drug-Free Kids -- 1-855-DRUGFREE or text your message to 55753
  • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) -- 1-800-662-4357

Eating Disorders

• National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA) HelpLine -- 1-800-931-2237 or text NEDA to 741741
  • National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders(ANAD) -- 630-577-1330
  • Overeater’s Anonymous -- Click link to find a meeting near you

Learning Disabilities and ADHD

• Children & Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Resource Center (CHADD) -- 1-800-233-4050
  • National Center for Learning Disabilities -- 1-888-575-7373

Mental Health Crisis Lines / Suicide Hotlines

• Suicide Prevention Lifeline -- 1-800-273-TALK
  • Trevor HelpLine / Suicide Prevention for LGBTQ+ Teens -- 1-866-488-7386
  • Crisis Text Line -- Text HOME to 741741
  • Gay & Lesbian National Hotline -- 1-888-THE-GLNH (1-888-843-4564)
  • IMAlive -- online crisis chat
  • National Runaway Safeline -- 1-800-RUNAWAY (chat available on website)
  • Teenline -- 310-855-4673 or text TEEN to 839863 (teens helping teens)

Rape and Sexual Assault

• Rape, Abuse, Incest, National Network (RAINN) -- 1-800-656-HOPE (1-800-656-4673)
  • Sexual Abuse - Stop It Now! -- 1-888-PREVENT
  • STD / AIDS
  • AIDS National Hotline -- 1-800-342-2437
  • Project Inform HIV/AIDS Treatment Infoline -- 800-822-7422
  • Project Inform Hepatitis C Helpline -- 1-877-435-7443

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Time Crisis Actor posted:

So I've been through this several times with members of one of my old units, with mixed results. The common denominator to getting guys help seems to be physically visiting them and getting them to move. The guys who changed venues are largely doing better, the guys who refused or we were unable to get them moved tended to spiral down. It's a PITA for nearly everyone involved, but our biggest successes were where we got people relocated to be close to a physical support network where they had a defacto sponsor that kept on top of getting them into the programs they needed to be in and getting them into a "routine" that broke them out of the spiral.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think one of the worst things about stress and anxiety is when I start acting stressed out and anxious and I’m not aware of it, I project it onto other people. I won’t even comprehend that it’s stress and usually I don’t realize that I’m projecting on to people until its turned into something it doesn’t need to be.

It’s like I have to start problems with people just so that I can seize control of the situation because there’s something in my life that isn’t in control but should be.

I’m mostly posting here to make this concept “real” and not really for feedback, and to also just kinda get my thoughts down, but I’m sure others can relate.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March. Dad couldn't handle the chemo, it hosed him up too much. Reached out to Mayo clinic and they said he might be a candidate for surgery, but they have to do a test. Apparently they have this machine that's way better than a PET scan that can see way more. Two weeks ago my dad goes to Mayo and wad told the pqncreatic cancer metastasized to liver and throughout a big artery. No surgery option. 6 - 12 months to live, maybe. Chemo not worth it to try.

Dad's health declined the past 2 weeks, extreme fatigue, afib. Today he rapidly declined and had to go to ER.

He died an hour ago. Going from numb and in shock, to breaking down and crying hysterically. Luckily every one in my family was there to say goodbye. He hung on just long enough and basically let go once we told him he could rest.

Turned out both the NP and the ER doc lost one of their parents to pan can. They were great.

gently caress cancer. gently caress this earth. He was literally the best man and person I've ever met. He deserved a few months of checking poo poo off his bucket list. Then when he declined we just hoped for a few good weeks. Then a few good days. But he didn't get any good days.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
gently caress, I'm sorry.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dude, I'm sorry. Those words are lovely and hollow in face of your pain, I know, but it's what we say.

I'm sending you what love and support I got.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hate to hear it :(

Sorrow is the price for love. Time will take the bite out of it, but for now don't feel bad about feeling bad. Take your time with it.

And gently caress cancer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Sorry for your loss, man. I hope you take some small comfort in knowing that at least he went after he got to see his loved ones, and I also hope you have lots of good memories of your time with him.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

gently caress cancer, I am so sorry for your loss

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
That's awful, man. I'm so sorry.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Cancer got my dad when i was 19. He was just starting to tell me all the cool/dumb poo poo he did when he was a kid because i was finally old enough not to try to top it.

We all knew it was coming at the time, and once he was gone it was just kind of overall numb for a while.

It was a long time ago, now.

The loss doesn’t really go away, and you wont want it to. It does get easier to carry with time.

I’d have liked to see him play with his grandkids. He would have been an awesome granddad.

Sorry about your dad, man.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
gently caress cancer.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Thank you all so much for your kind words. It means a lot, more than you know.

fresh_cheese posted:

Cancer got my dad when i was 19. He was just starting to tell me all the cool/dumb poo poo he did when he was a kid because i was finally old enough not to try to top it.

We all knew it was coming at the time, and once he was gone it was just kind of overall numb for a while.

It was a long time ago, now.

The loss doesn’t really go away, and you wont want it to. It does get easier to carry with time.

I’d have liked to see him play with his grandkids. He would have been an awesome granddad.

Sorry about your dad, man.

Thank you for this. I'm so sorry about your dad, too. I'm so sorry he went so young.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Bored As gently caress posted:

I'm so sorry about your dad, too. I'm so sorry he went so young.

Thanks man.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

I'm sorry man. Mine went in 2014 from an abdominal aneurysm. He got hurt at work but it burst before they could do anything about it. It's the one thing that really divided my life into before and after. The grief is going to ambush you for the next year or so and it absolutely sucks. For what it's worth, I found that remembering the good times, and being the kind of person he'd want you to be, will help get you through. It did for me, anyway.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Eason the Fifth posted:

I'm sorry man. Mine went in 2014 from an abdominal aneurysm. He got hurt at work but it burst before they could do anything about it. It's the one thing that really divided my life into before and after. The grief is going to ambush you for the next year or so and it absolutely sucks. For what it's worth, I found that remembering the good times, and being the kind of person he'd want you to be, will help get you through. It did for me, anyway.

Thank you very much. This is definitely going to help. I'm so sorry about your dad. That's so sudden and horrible.

Thank you to everyone here. I appreciate everything everyone has said.

I also want to advise anyone that hasn't, please have a conversation with your parents about their wishes about end of life, funeral, burial/cremation, services, costs, etc. It's a morbid topic but after we finish with my dad's, we're going back to pre-plan my mom's funeral so she can get what she wants. Morbid, but saves heartache later. We thought we had more time with my dad to plan that all out, but life isn't fair sometimes.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .

ElHuevoGrande fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 6, 2021

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hey, how do y'all deal with feeling like you failed someone undergoing a crisis?

For reference, one of the guys in my squadron has always been a loner with no friends. I've long thought he was a weirdo, but always tried to reach out whenever I thought he was in a bad place, only to get rebuffed every time. He might be weird, but he still deserves to have someone in his corner. And just within the past week or two, he had a mental breakdown on exercise and now he's been stripped of all his quals and got shoved off into an inventory-taking non-position within the unit.

I know I'm not at fault. His refusal to accept help is his own thing, and I understand that it's not a reflection on myself that this happened to him. But I'm still sitting here feeling like I should have done more and that he'd be fine if I had just forced my way into his life.

Have any of y'all been in this position? How did you come to terms with it? And if you've been in buddy's position, what helped you? I want to reach out, but I'm scared that his already-precarious mental health will be stressed by my asking and he'll do something deeply unhelpful.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You cannot force yourself into someone's life. You can be available, accessible, and understanding to your friends and those around you. You can't make them talk or work on things, though. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him see a shrink. You can't beat yourself up for something you had no ability to do.

Also, you aren't a therapist. People with severe mental health issues are not going to be fixed by you. Doctors exist for a reason.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Had a coworker take his life the day after i signed off him being ready to take a promotion at work. I worked with him for 8-12 hours a day for 6 months and missed or didn’t explore the signs so every loving suicide prevention stand down I get to see his face in my mind and wonder what I could have possibly done differently.

It’s not my fault, I know that, but at least you reached out. Good on you.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

After sleeping on it, reading your posts, and talking with some friends and our shared supervisor about how I was feeling, I feel a lot less lovely. I did what I could, and I'll keep being available to the guy if he ever decides to take the help I *can* give, but yeah, I'm not a therapist and there's only so much I can do.

I'm not going to give up on the guy, of course, but I'll give him his space and just treat him normally when I see him around the place. I think that's the best approach right now.

Thanks, folks.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Friends/roommate's kids got COVID-19 from his dad at their house.

Passed out and stepmom is following ambulance.

Please let this kid be okay.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wasabi the J posted:

Friends/roommate's kids got COVID-19 from his dad at their house.

Passed out and stepmom is following ambulance.

Please let this kid be okay.

:smith:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Any advice on getting help with anxiety when the VA doesn't seem to listen? In 2014 I went to VA mental health about anger issues and outbursts and that helped alot, but since having moved twice, neither VA in New Hampshire or Pennsylvania has been worth much.

Edit: I'm not sure if the VA in Providence was an exception in terms of getting mental health care, but it just seems like the people I've worked with since don't really listen and don't care. I'm thankfully past the point of thinking of self-harm or acting aggressively towards others without reason, but sometimes my anxiety just is the most hateful thing imaginable and it makes it hard to function sometimes. Thankfully my husband is understanding and helps out alot, but it would be nice to not have to be reassured that I'm worth someones time and effort.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Any advice on getting help with anxiety when the VA doesn't seem to listen? In 2014 I went to VA mental health about anger issues and outbursts and that helped alot, but since having moved twice, neither VA in New Hampshire or Pennsylvania has been worth much.

Edit: I'm not sure if the VA in Providence was an exception in terms of getting mental health care, but it just seems like the people I've worked with since don't really listen and don't care. I'm thankfully past the point of thinking of self-harm or acting aggressively towards others without reason, but sometimes my anxiety just is the most hateful thing imaginable and it makes it hard to function sometimes. Thankfully my husband is understanding and helps out alot, but it would be nice to not have to be reassured that I'm worth someones time and effort.

The outpatient VA in Harrisonburg was not providing what I needed w/r/t mental health. I told the main hospital about it and was cleared to see someone outside of the VA.

I unfortunately don’t remember who at the main hospital I spoke to though.