Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Change the K to a C

that's it? it was the first thing I thought of but it felt too simple. lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

FPyat posted:

Has anyone read The Golden Age by John C. Wright
the author suffers literal brain damage and converts from right-wing extremist galtse.cx atheism to right-wing extremist catholicism mid-series

edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Wright_(author)#/media/File%3AJohn_C_Wright.jpg

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 25, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

the author suffers literal brain damage and converts from right-wing extremist galtse.cx atheism to right-wing extremist catholicism mid-series

edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Wright_(author)#/media/File%3AJohn_C_Wright.jpg

That's a soft recommend, then?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Jedit posted:

That's a soft recommend, then?
it's worse than some of the web serials i read

so

don't pay for it and don't under any circumstances applicable to normal people go on to read some of the poo poo he's had published by vox "theodore "a few acid-burned faces" beale" day"

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
There's way better poo poo out there,
And a ton of books you'll never get around to reading

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

90s Cringe Rock posted:

it's worse than some of the web serials i read

so

don't pay for it and don't under any circumstances applicable to normal people go on to read some of the poo poo he's had published by vox "theodore "a few acid-burned faces" beale" day"
while I disagree it's that bad (unless you've found some drat good web serials I've missed), dude's a batshit crazy chud and his characters are cardboard cutouts moving around in worlds with a few interesting ideas but no followthrough

it's also close to that bad, so you're not really wrong

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Wright is a bit of a difficult case; he has an imagination and some writing skills, but he's also got utterly repellent opinions, and they show up in his work.

(Back when he wrote The Golden Age his repellent opinions were those of a Randroid; later he switched them out for some form of ultra-reactionary Christianity.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Groke posted:

(Back when he wrote The Golden Age his repellent opinions were those of a Randroid; later he switched them out for some form of ultra-reactionary Christianity.)

It's been a while since I've read Wright (thank goodness), but IIRC he was one of the more-Catholic-than-the-Pope types, which is probably where the Wolfe comparison comes in -- although Wolfe was a more mainstream conservative Catholic, and nowhere near as much of a poo poo.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Yeah, I think he had one of those things where you almost die and get a religious conversion event out of it. But was a turd before and remained a turd after.

(This is the man who wrote a selfrighteous rant about wanting to punch Terry Pratchett.)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

FPyat posted:

Has anyone read The Golden Age by John C. Wright, The Last Legends of Earth by A.A. Attanasio, or the Neverness books by David Zindell? All have lots of enthusiastic and negative reviews, which makes it really uncertain whether I should give them a chance. People throw out Gene Wolfe comparisons a lot, which could either be a good or a bad thing.

I really, really like The Last Legends of Earth.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

FPyat posted:

the Neverness books by David Zindell?

I read the first one of these in the long-ago and remember it as being pretty good. It's at least different.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

while I disagree it's that bad (unless you've found some drat good web serials I've missed), dude's a batshit crazy chud and his characters are cardboard cutouts moving around in worlds with a few interesting ideas but no followthrough

it's also close to that bad, so you're not really wrong
yeah some of them are legit good but I value "has one or two things I like" a bit higher, "can the author string a sentence together" a bit lower, and "is the author not a monster" definitely factors in.

If he wasn't a chud in any of the many ways he is and has been, id be a fan.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

nesbit37 posted:

I've read a lot of books this past year, several of them SciFi and Fantasy, but I am kind of out of knowing what to read next and would like recommendations. To help, here is some of what I have recently read below and liked in the past. I am well aware not all of these would be considered good books but I read them anyway.

Most recently finished and enjoyed:
The 8 books of The Expanse
NK Jemisin's The Broken Earth Trilogy
The Vampire the Masquerade Clan series from the 1990s (all 13 of them)
The Vampire the Masquerade Dark Ages Clan Series from the early 2000s (all 13 of them)
The Blood Bowl Omnibus & Death on the Pitch books
Several Necromunda novels

Also of note, I have tried over the past year to get into Discworld and just can't do it. I've read the first 4 books and just don't feel a real need to go any further.

In the past I have really enjoyed Ian M. Banks Culture series, which I have read all of, and have read several sci-fi classics like Dune, and classic fantasy like Conan and This Dying Earth and a little newer stuff like The Song of Ice and Fire. It's been years since I've read most of these though. The other series probably worth mentioning that I have read and enjoyed is the Dresden Files. I read lots of bad D&D themed fiction in my teenage years but haven't read too much of it recently.

Ancillary Justice series! Some of the best sci-fi. Also Raven Tower by Anne Leckie as well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bagrada posted:

Consider C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy (starts with Black Sun Rising) and Barb & JC Hendee's Noble Dead/Dhampir books. The first is really good dark fantasy with a touch of horror and sci fi, and the second is vampires + fantasy and was one of my family's next steps after reading too many bad D&D novels. A half-vampire cons peasants by pretending to be a vampire hunter with the help of her elf assassin buddy and their magic fae dog. It's been a long time since I've read them but I've always meant to come back and finish the sequels.

Friedman also wrote The Madness Season, in which a vampire is abducted by Earth's alien overlords for medical research. It's fun as hell.

Honestly I'd recommend all of her stuff except The Wilding, but TMS seems most in line with what the OP is looking for.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

How is it possible that I've been reading this thread for several years and never knew that the Goblin Emperor author wrote a Sherlock Holmes pastiche set in an alt-London that has vampires, werewolves, robotic cerberuses, angels that work as basically the guiding/protective spirit of a place and a trans Watson.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Groke posted:

Yeah, I think he had one of those things where you almost die and get a religious conversion event out of it. But was a turd before and remained a turd after.

(This is the man who wrote a selfrighteous rant about wanting to punch Terry Pratchett.)

There is literally no greater evidence on Earth of being a bad person than this.

On that note, my Pratchett game is weak. I’ve dicked around with individual books, Morte, Guards! Guards! And Small Gods to name a few.

If I needed a dose without feeling overwhelmed by the sheer volume, which subseries is the best according to y’all? And why would help, since the topics he covers might influence my level of interest.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

BurningBeard posted:

There is literally no greater evidence on Earth of being a bad person than this.

On that note, my Pratchett game is weak. I’ve dicked around with individual books, Morte, Guards! Guards! And Small Gods to name a few.

If I needed a dose without feeling overwhelmed by the sheer volume, which subseries is the best according to y’all? And why would help, since the topics he covers might influence my level of interest.

I know you've read Guards! Guards! but the rest of that series, the city watch, is probably the best, most distilled Discworld. Heavily set in Ankh-Morpork and showing off lots of great poo poo about it. Mystery books, fun and some great characters.

Alternately, I fully fell in love with Discworld upon reading The Truth, introducing a big concept like printed newspapers in a city.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Aardvark! posted:

I know you've read Guards! Guards! but the rest of that series, the city watch, is probably the best, most distilled Discworld. Heavily set in Ankh-Morpork and showing off lots of great poo poo about it. Mystery books, fun and some great characters.

Alternately, I fully fell in love with Discworld upon reading The Truth, introducing a big concept like printed newspapers in a city.

I concur. Guards! Guards! and it's follow-ups are amazing.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

BurningBeard posted:

If you google "terry pratchett reading order flowchart" you'll come up with plenty of Time Cube inspired diagrams that will give you multiple entry points into the series.

I think the Watch books are consistently rated the best sub-series. Certainly they're my favorite. They have elements of mystery, conspiracy, social justice and class consciousness.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Cool. Watch it is. Thanks.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Just don't start at the beginning or the end. Night Watch is a good place to start not starting. You can probably read anything after The Light Fantastic until there, but Night Watch really benefits from at least one watch book first, and the books after it benefit from having some earlier Discworld reading.

Don't start with Strata unless you want to confuse yourself.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I don't know why, but I started Guards, Guards and didn't find it that funny to be honest. Does it have to ramp up, has Pratchett's humor just become such a touch point that it doesn't feel novel, or am I just broken?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I don't know why, but I started Guards, Guards and didn't find it that funny to be honest. Does it have to ramp up, has Pratchett's humor just become such a touch point that it doesn't feel novel, or am I just broken?

I can't say the humour was ever the selling point for me.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The first few books - and by this I explicitly mean Color of Magic/Light Fantastic/Guards Guards - are a lot more... derivative? Like the humor is based on more explicit references and it's very not-the-same as the later books.

I'd give Men at Arms (the second Watch book) a shot and if you don't like it, eh, not for you.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah the humor is in my limited experience very much of its original time and place. But even if it doesn’t work for you, Pratchett had some very sharp and insightful commentary on a lot of topics.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Pratchett's books aren't side-splittingly funny, it's more like he uses parody as a foundation but keeps building a whole house on top of it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
honestly I can't think of any books i would ever describe as "side-splittingly funny" regardless of genre.. The Jeeves and Wooster books maybe?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Think of them more as books about humanism that use humor as a vehicle to do a lot of meta-reflection and subversion. You can’t do things like “have your characters try to shoot an arrow while blindfolded and standing one legged in a bucket of water so the odds of hitting are a million to one” in a serious novel, it’d break the reader’s trance. You can do that in Discworld because that kind of reflexivity is part of the contract with the rrader. But they’re still ultimately books that try to say something meaningful and serious; they’re not the Scary Movie of fantasy novels.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Aardvark! posted:

honestly I can't think of any books i would ever describe as "side-splittingly funny" regardless of genre.. The Jeeves and Wooster books maybe?

Disco Elysium isn’t a book but it has induced some genuine lollin

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The Guards and the Witches book are great. There are some dips but pratchets worst is still better than average.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm trying to remember if I've ever laughed at loud at a book as an adult. Grinned, for sure. Cried a few times. But nothing remotely close to the stitches I was in as a teenager when a friend brought over Monty Python and the Holy Grail when I'd never seen anything like it before.

Hitchhiker's Guide and Robert Asprin's MYTH-Adventures and Phule's Company were probably closest as a teen.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

I thought Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers was hilarious when I read it, aged 14. I haven't reread it in a long time though.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I probably laughed out loud when I read George Carlin's books.. but I don't think you can really count that. Though reading novels, I've laughed out of sheer joy plenty of times when good things happen since I get overly emotionally invested in characters.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Jerome K Jerome is so funny. I honestly laughed out loud at the German professor singing a sad song scene.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sarah Caudwell's books are just about the funniest things I've ever read.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

fritz posted:

I read the first one of these in the long-ago and remember it as being pretty good. It's at least different.

I’ve read them all and would say the first one is the best. It’s also a standalone. I liked the followup books well enough but Neverness is the only one I’ve felt like re-reading. My recommendation would be check out Neverness if you like weird as gently caress settings and a weird as gently caress spin on the monomyth, then go for the follow ups if you liked Neverness so much you want more and not quite as good is acceptable

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Jerome K Jerome is so funny. I honestly laughed out loud at the German professor singing a sad song scene.

Everyone should read Three Men in a Boat; the loving thing is 132 years old and still fresh & sharp.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think most, but not all, of the Discworld books gave me at least one solid chuckle. That's still fewer solid jokes in 35+ books than in one comedy special. Mostly they're interesting and enjoyable and make me smile.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Groke posted:

Everyone should read Three Men in a Boat; the loving thing is 132 years old and still fresh & sharp.

God yeah. Those books are hilarious.

I've had a chuckle or two out of Dickens too but I wouldn't tell anyone to read em for the humour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Think of them more as books about humanism that use humor as a vehicle to do a lot of meta-reflection and subversion. You can’t do things like “have your characters try to shoot an arrow while blindfolded and standing one legged in a bucket of water so the odds of hitting are a million to one” in a serious novel, it’d break the reader’s trance. You can do that in Discworld because that kind of reflexivity is part of the contract with the rrader. But they’re still ultimately books that try to say something meaningful and serious; they’re not the Scary Movie of fantasy novels.

They also (the City Watch books at least) have genuinely exciting action setpieces. The assassination attempt/sewer chase/high noon showdown in Men at Arms and the werewolf hunt in The Fifth Elephant are unforgettable.