Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ios does wear management now where it'll hold off on the last 20% (or less, if it's already above 80%) until just before you usually use your phone (say, if you plug it in before bed, it'll top it off right before you'd use it in the morning)

the only thing i do now is make sure I don't drain my battery completely and my release xs is at 90% max capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

coke posted:

also never charge to above 80% for your devices and never drain it below 30%

cool post from 1993

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i used a 12w ipad charger on my x since launch day and it’s still at 90% battery health.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

as trolls go, coke really nails the details on being so technically wrong that it hurts

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

The Management posted:

as trolls go, coke really nails the details on being so technically wrong that it hurts
im pretty sure using all those devices on a 5w charger is considered a violation of human rights in some scandinavian prison systems.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The Management posted:

audiophile grade battery management

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

coke posted:

slow charging is better for the battery

ill have been using the 5W apple square charger for everything including the latest 12,9 inch M1 ipad, just need a USB-A to USB-C cable and it charges fine, albeit slowly and about an hour to charge 10 percent

also never charge to above 80% for your devices and never drain it below 30%

I know someone who has pic for an actual app to janitor charging levels like this.

they are also in the Apple program where they get a new top line phone every year.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
i also use https://github.com/davidwernhart/AlDente to limit the all powerful 16" mbp with 8 beasty cores and 64gb of ram to 40% battery charge while leaving it plugged into the 90W usb-c dock while in use

unless im traveling, then i set the maximum to 80%

i mean my phone and the almost 2 year old mbp still has 100% battery capacity so eh :shrug:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

have you considered that your lifestyle means you only ever use 50% of your device's battery capacity, so it literally does not matter that you've preserved it at 100%?

i use my phone like a regular person and if the battery starts to get tired and it's still worth keeping around i pay the guy at the mall 40 bucks to replace it.

yeesh.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I remember when I used to pay attention to my battery percentage. with my Palm III.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

take your battery percentage. reduce it by a third. then take half of the remaining battery percentage. that is the correct amount of battery you need.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
they just keep going for the bait

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

take your battery percentage. reduce it by a third. then take half of the remaining battery percentage. that is the correct amount of battery you need.

the numbers dont lie and they spell disaster for you at sacrifice

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

i mean if you don’t really care about battery life you can use software. people who are serious add a spst isolator circuit with time correct oxygen free cabling in serial to the battery to ensure full isolation after optimal charge

for macbooks we have an option to control the isolator with a usbc peripheral driven by a web service. the next generation will use a neural net.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i have a really big crush on my new toy thanks timb

thats a target band b/c i measured wrong but its fine something tells me i'm gonna have a big band collection in the end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you need this face

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

gold finish with black band looks slick. those quick release bands with a strap adaptor make for cheap and plentiful options

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I wonder what the rumored redesign looks like

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

i've just never had a reason to upgrade

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

PCjr sidecar posted:

i mean if you don’t really care about battery life you can use software. people who are serious add a spst isolator circuit with time correct oxygen free cabling in serial to the battery to ensure full isolation after optimal charge

for macbooks we have an option to control the isolator with a usbc peripheral driven by a web service. the next generation will use a neural net.

avoiding full charge or discharge on a lithium ion battery really does improve its service life

most people shouldn't obsess over it because it makes little practical difference for a laptop battery that's (usually) relatively cheap and easy to replace, but unlike audio tweaks it's not pseudoscience

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

BobHoward posted:

avoiding full charge or discharge on a lithium ion battery really does improve its service life

most people shouldn't obsess over it because it makes little practical difference for a laptop battery that's (usually) relatively cheap and easy to replace, but unlike audio tweaks it's not pseudoscience

but if I don’t obsess over battery numbers how will other people know I’m superior to them???

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have a olympus om-d with a 20mm lumix prime lens and it is really nice and suits my needs

reading yospos years ago taught me the value of not obsessing over number goes up number goes down, just use your loving phone/laptop/whatever and don't waste your life obessing over battery health or whatever. but you do you, coke

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I charge my battery when the battery is low

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

njsykora posted:

I charge my battery when the battery is low

hosed up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BobHoward posted:

apple recommends you discharge your iphone completely once a month then charge it back to 100% for best battery performance.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
if you are on a MagSafe phone and a Apple Watch, the MagSafe Duo Charger by Apple is absolutely the best in class charger.

it’s $129, which seems expensive, but it’s fantastic for traveling or throwing in your work bag (it folds up nicely), and just functionally works better than any other wireless charger I’ve tried (a lot of them). if you find yourself with money that you desperately want to give Apple, it’s really a great purchase.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

apple recommends you discharge your iphone completely once a month then charge it back to 100% for best battery performance.

this is not a contradiction

as li-ion cells age, it is hard to know their true capacity and health without occasionally measuring, and measurement requires a deep discharge/recharge cycle

it's a tradeoff: even though the act of measurement degrades battery cells a little, it's a net positive to do it now and then so the battery management controller can do a better job of shepherding the battery

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

(lithium ion batteries are twitchy things which like to set themselves on fire if you do the wrong thing to them. you know how it's pretty safe to overcharge a lead acid battery? lmao it's not safe to overcharge a lithium ion, at all, don't loving do it, fortunately your computers and phones have built in robotic janitoring of the battery)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think that advice is mostly to keep people from freaking out when the percentages drift though. while lithium ion needs some management it presumably will just get more conservative going into slow constant-voltage charging sooner if it doesn't have the numbers.

plus who realistically ever read that advice?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i am eternally paranoid about batteries since an old pair of wireless headphones had the battery compartment melt while it was charging after less than 6 months of owning them

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my dns was broke, then i realized I updated osx and it resets custom dns every single release

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
the russians just sent the correct dns in the dhcp replies

coke
Jul 12, 2009

The Management posted:

they just keep going for the bait

lol

BobHoward posted:

yeah that's literally what some of the new electric vehicle do

think of the 'full' capacity as 4 volt

when you first buy the car and charge it to 100%, it will actually only charge to 80% of the cell capacity, or like 3.9v
then as the car ages it will use more and more of its rated cell capacity and near the end it will charge to actual 100%/4v before degrading the 'rated' capacity

that way the user will still get to drive 200 miles between each charge even after like 5 years, but the downside is that the manufacturer has to use more batteries or have spare capacities in the first place

this is also why you shouldnt charge to 100%/4+ v and then use the device while plugged in, because the voltage dip from soc load might cause the battery being overcharged
that's how you get the iphone warning of "service battery" even when your battery life indicator is showing 95+%

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Sniep posted:

the russians just sent the correct dns in the dhcp replies

i use a local resolver for split tunnel vpns

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

coke posted:

this is also why you shouldnt charge to 100%/4+ v and then use the device while plugged in, because the voltage dip from soc load might cause the battery being overcharged
that's how you get the iphone warning of "service battery" even when your battery life indicator is showing 95+%

BATTERIES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

after charging a battery to 100% on ac power, the battery controller essentially disconnects the battery from everything. you don't even want to trickle charge to maintain 100% because that is harmful to most lithium ion chemistries

in this state, when the SoC starts demanding more power than the external supply can provide, yes, the battery gets involved. but the way in which it gets involved is that load is shared between the battery and external power source

iow the battery starts discharging, not charging. i dunno how you think that discharge can overcharge a battery

coke
Jul 12, 2009

BobHoward posted:

BATTERIES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

after charging a battery to 100% on ac power, the battery controller essentially disconnects the battery from everything. you don't even want to trickle charge to maintain 100% because that is harmful to most lithium ion chemistries

in this state, when the SoC starts demanding more power than the external supply can provide, yes, the battery gets involved. but the way in which it gets involved is that load is shared between the battery and external power source

iow the battery starts discharging, not charging. i dunno how you think that discharge can overcharge a battery

yeah if the battery is under load it would drop its voltage indicating the charge isn't full, even though it is??

also lol

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FCKGW posted:

I just said "play the album rage against the machine" to siri and it played their self titled album fine

I also tried "play rage against the machine's self titled album" and that worked fine too

“play rage against the machine’s eponymous album” also works

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

lol at y'all being impressed at siri responses that google had 5 years ago

i will never own an android phone, but after seeing how much better 'hey google' is than siri, i feel i have to mention it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i thought the point of that was just to show that siri worked just fine if you actually asked it for the thing you wanted, because the op couldn't figure out how to phrase the command in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

if that's in reference to me, my frustration was that it's impossible to get YouTube music to play an album via Siri, at least if there's a similarly named song or artist