Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Paladinus posted:

I once made a text adventure in SQL. I doubt it's possible on a blockchain.

What why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Paladinus posted:

You come to a hard fork in the chain without any clear consensus. A cryptographic nonce is here, trying not to be noticed.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Cryptography is a weird subset of computer poo poo. You're doing a bunch of automata and algorithms and discreet math and then BLAM. Here comes a whole new algebraic notation (⊕ anyone?) with a bunch of logarithms and crap. I can see why that would melt your brain and turn you into a CSPAM poster.

What he means is that he solves newspaper sudokus

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paladinus posted:

You encode the locations on the blockchain and then use transactions to post commands and transactions to give replies.

Should only take you about thirty years to play a game.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It’s just a play by post tabletop rpg but slower

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

please knock Mom! posted:

Please just keep him busy so he stays out of the healthcare thread and stops telling us posting cool bone scans is ‘creepy’

Stop coming here xtal, nobody wants you, nobody likes you, go roast your brain over a few half melted graphics cards

Meh, xtal is a like a thread mascot. He's dumb, but he actually replies but doesn't flood the thread. Seraph was tedious, flooded the forum, and it was uncomfortable watching his mental illness progress. Salt shakeup is staggeringly stupid and is fun to dunk on, but posts rarely enough it isn't a big detriment to thread. I can't remember offhand the handle of the person who was on a quest to be dumber than salt shakeup, but they post even more rarely, if memory serves.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You come to a hard fork in the chain without any clear consensus. A cryptographic nonce is here, trying not to be noticed.

he asks: "prove you possess the secret, without revealing it"

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

NLJP posted:

By the way, doesn't proof of stake automatically bake in control for those who already have a ton of coin? Am I misunderstanding the fundamentals? Because that seems obvious to me

My (very limited) understanding is that's about the case.

quote:

"a PoS miner is limited to mining a percentage of transactions that is reflective of their ownership stake. For instance, a miner who owns 3% of the coins available can theoretically mine only 3% of the blocks."
Source: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/proof-stake-pos.asp

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Meh, xtal is a like a thread mascot. He's dumb, but he actually replies but doesn't flood the thread. Seraph was tedious, flooded the forum, and it was uncomfortable watching his mental illness progress. Salt shakeup is staggeringly stupid and is fun to dunk on, but posts rarely enough it isn't a big detriment to thread. I can't remember offhand the handle of the person who was on a quest to be dumber than salt shakeup, but they post even more rarely, if memory serves.

They’re all the same coin brained guy imo

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

What he means is that he solves newspaper sudokus

You know, when you try to mail them in for heroin all you get back is a postcard:

Sad but true.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They’re all the same coin brained guy imo

Maybe xtal is seraph but threw seraph posts around to make xtal seem normal and cool and stable

Like how people are like "bitcoin is crazy but this cryptothing is real and fine and stable and good"

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

jokes posted:

Maybe xtal is seraph but threw seraph posts around to make xtal seem normal and cool and stable

Like how people are like "bitcoin is crazy but this cryptothing is real and fine and stable and good"

Not literally but you know, xtal is basically just seraph on ambien

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I was young and rebellious.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Not literally but you know, xtal is basically just seraph on ambien

Is ambien the one that makes you cool?

edit: Oh no, no it's not

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ambian makes you see a walrus that only has bad ideas.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I had a long postchain with both of them over in the 'pos. xtal isn't seraph.

Seraph was bitter about their perma, just wanted online friends to hang out with, started their own discord, and seems to have left. They were all about the money.

Xtal's main interest in cryptocurrency is the "censorship resistance" aka it allows real revolutionaries (ypg, hamas, golden path, etc) to evade sanctions. Xtal just wants to argue about politics with people who haven't damaged their brains with CSPAM (cspam, not even once!) and will find threads they can derail.

If you want xtal to bugger off, just don't fall for the politics derails.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

xtal posted:

Aren't you the person who compared blockchains to a SQL database? I thought you said you were some kind of project or program manager, meanwhile I'm an actual cryptographer...

You can scroll back in the thread and check, dumbass!

Or, better, just gently caress back off to ycombinator and post there instead.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

Ambian makes you see a walrus that only has bad ideas.

I thought that was turning off my monitor

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 25, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

xtal posted:

I thought that was turning off my monitor

The walrus never let you turn it off. How else are you supposed to buy a grand piano at 3 am?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

MAN WHO CAN’T REMEMBER BITCOIN PASSWORD SAYS HE’S ‘MADE PEACE’ WITH $220M LOSS
https://kizafair.com/man-who-cant-remember-bitcoin-password-says-hes-made-peace-with-220m-loss/

A good currency.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Ad by Khad posted:

The single 1985 nintendo that could run the entire bitcoin blockchain by itself could also run a text adventure, same thing right

Slightly incorrect, the NES can do the mining part but the other parts need a bit more power like a raspberry pi

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

https://kizafair.com/man-who-cant-remember-bitcoin-password-says-hes-made-peace-with-220m-loss/

A good currency.

It's fine, he can just wait until quantum computing is accessible enough that it can be used to crack the password.

Wait a minute-

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

ymgve posted:

Slightly incorrect, the NES can do the mining part but the other parts need a bit more power like a raspberry pi

feel free to keep "well actually"ing dumb jokes in the bitcoin dumb joke thread

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ad by Khad posted:

feel free to keep "well actually"ing dumb jokes in the bitcoin dumb joke thread

I think it's actually riffing on the joke, by pointing out that it isn't far off the actual truth.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
god bless that NES

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

xtal posted:

Aren't you the person who compared blockchains to a SQL database? I thought you said you were some kind of project or program manager, meanwhile I'm an actual cryptographer...

A cryptographer? That isn't even a thing hahaha. Do you just post hoping that no one here is actually tech savvy or what?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Also he asked what problem Bitcoin solves that you can't solve with existing software and used SQL databases as an example and you still haven't provided an answer.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Also he asked what problem Bitcoin solves that you can't solve with existing software and used SQL databases as an example and you still haven't provided an answer.

They've just done a really poo poo job at explaining it. Distributed trust through proof of work. They replaced having a couple of guys keep some private keys to sign each block as legitimate with the heroin sudokus and carbon emissions. Prior to the bitcoin whitepaper I'm not aware of a method for establishing cryptographic trust that didn't rely on identity, like root CAs for x509 certificates.

All the whining about censorship just means no one can rubber hose or waterboard any single person to compromise the bitcoin network. If someone does a 51 attack, it's detectible, whereas paying someone at verisign to create a bunch of bullshit ssl certificates isn't.

It's a clever solution to a problem almost no one has.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You are likely to be eaten by a satoshi.

I day trade Crypto + algo trade it and have to say all technicals are massively, massively bearish right now for crypto. This drop was 50% of the entire market cap. Literally in trillions of dollars. I still bought the bottom and got out very quickly. This isn't a guarantee but has potential over time if we don't go up to end this bullrun entirely.

Thankfully algos don't care about market direction. I'm only leaving a bit of profits in the market and all principal is sitting in my bank. I understand people love market goes up but I think certain people forget market goes down as well.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 25, 2021

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
I just wanted to say without the brain damaged crypto goons, this thread would be less funny.

Lmao, cryptographer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You are likely to be eaten by a satoshi.

I day trade Crypto + algo trade it and have to say all technicals are massively, massively bearish right now for crypto. This drop was 50% of the entire market cap. Literally in trillions of dollars. I still bought the bottom and got out very quickly. This isn't a guarantee but has potential over time if we don't go up to end this bullrun entirely.

Thankfully algos don't care about market direction. I'm only leaving a bit of profits in the market and all principal is sitting in my bank. I understand people love market goes up but I think certain people forget market goes down as well.
Are funds safe?

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
This thread is full of people with cyberdegrees in augustinian network tollerance trilemma analysis and I'm just here going haha DOGE coin.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Galewolf posted:

Lmao, cryptographer.
You mean like a PKI admin?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe xtal just likes speaking in tongues?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

InternetJunky posted:

A good currency.
Why is he still trying instead of selling the thing for a million dollars.

Must be someone crazy enough to buy it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

SYSV Fanfic posted:

They've just done a really poo poo job at explaining it. Distributed trust through proof of work. They replaced having a couple of guys keep some private keys to sign each block as legitimate with the heroin sudokus and carbon emissions. Prior to the bitcoin whitepaper I'm not aware of a method for establishing cryptographic trust that didn't rely on identity, like root CAs for x509 certificates.

All the whining about censorship just means no one can rubber hose or waterboard any single person to compromise the bitcoin network. If someone does a 51 attack, it's detectible, whereas paying someone at verisign to create a bunch of bullshit ssl certificates isn't.

It's a clever solution to a problem almost no one has.

Okay this is what they keep saying, but why? What problem is this solving? What does this solve that event sourcing plus cryptographic signatures can't also accomplish?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Proof of work is literally just proof that you spent an entire country's energy on guessing an integer, why is that somehow infallible?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I've seen exactly one use case for blockchain that sort of makes sense.

Medical laboratory sample chain of custody tracking.

The story goes like this:
A. You (a clinical practice) want to be able to track the progress of a something like a biopsy as it goes from testing site to courrier to lab to results
B. You absolutely cannot under any circumstances publish individually identifiable medical information in any way, so the identifiable characteristics like sample IDs must be encrypted. Either that or kept entirely within one's own walls and directly sent to only stakeholders. At the very least this rules out a traditional database.
C. You want each stakeholder along the way to prove that they handled the correct sample and no other one. A chained encryption path where a unique private key is physically sent from stakeholder to stakeholder with the sample and combined with a public private key pair belonging to the org.
D. Finally the actual results have to be encrypted with a key only known to the lab and the clinic as a separate security measure.
E. No particular organizations along any given chain will be in every chain, ruling out any sort of centralized solution, except maybe an ad hoc one.

All that sort of seems to work as an actual use case for blockchain, but even so, the demand for standardized protocol across so many businesses makes it unlikely to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
great decentralised moneystore of value system in action

https://twitter.com/michael_saylor/status/1396915801492439044