Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You're going to have to seal your cables in their own climate controlled environment.

What if I wrap my insulated cables in wool? Is there an optimum fleece/wool blend that will smooth out the resonances? Also how many thousands of dollars per meter?

Clearly I'll need to make audiophile pyjamas from this wonderful material so I can listen to my tunes optimally.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah those PJs are pretty good and merino is a decent material but I think you'll find that for people with the most highly resolving systems our custom rabbit angora blend offers a wider soundstage, with deeper velvety blacks [they also contain velvet].

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

TheGoonspiracist posted:

I dip my cable ends in icy hot.

Whoa there, let's keep it family friendly in here.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it's ok, it's just the tips

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

DancingShade posted:

What if I wrap my insulated cables in wool? Is there an optimum fleece/wool blend that will smooth out the resonances? Also how many thousands of dollars per meter?

Clearly I'll need to make audiophile pyjamas from this wonderful material so I can listen to my tunes optimally.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

You're going to have to seal your cables in their own climate controlled environment.

And what if I don’t have enough seals for my cables? Will sea lions do in a pinch?

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

And what if I don’t have enough seals for my cables? Will sea lions do in a pinch?

I found that sea lions actually made my soundstage more howlographic.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For your speakers and amp I'd strongly suggest narwhal.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I wanted to know how much this bullshit cost and the review link I clicked is this impressively dogshit website: https://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/08/lessloss-c-marc-cables-review.html

quote:

PRICE

- C-MARC Power cord: 735 USD/2m (This was a time-limited initial build which has since been upgraded to the hand-braided C-MARC 'super-cord' power cable, 1148 USD/2m). You can check the LessLoss C-MARC power cable review here.
- C-MARC RCA: 850 USD/1m pair
- C-MARC Speaker Cable: 975 USD/1m pair
- C-MARC Hook-up Wire: from 30 USD/1m

"The tonal character of C-MARC™ is more liquid, fluid, and resolves more detail from any recording. As good as the DFPC, Anchorwave and Homage to Time are, they are still made of plastic (albeit very high quality plastic with excellent characteristics). Over and beyond the improvement in C-MARC™ that it is made entirely of cotton and a very thin layer of clear lacquer instead of plastic, the extremely well balanced counter-polarized coil technique lowers the noise even further than the methods employed in our legacy products, so the overall result is one of both lowered noise as well as one of purer tonal character. It is very easy to recognize these improvement straight from the start, even without burn-in."

Jeez. And what is hook-up wire exactly?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
term for general purpose single conductor wire

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

quote:

NEW: Entropic Process option!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
new goon project idea: let’s start an audiophile company

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

Didn't this already happen? I seem to remember that it was absolutely batshit crazy "no one will ever buy this" products and yet it was somehow no crazier than things I've seen being sold with a straight face recently.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Ok Comboomer posted:

I've done the most important part of the wiki:
CSS code:
[data-theme="light"] {
  --bg: --brushed-aluminium;
}
[data-theme="dark"] {
  --bg: --piano-black;
}

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Guess the price without looking it up

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It costs about a fifth of what I guessed, due to the leading nature of asking that question in this thread.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

$500 is less than I expected from a company that sells a $1500 box that doesn't even claim to do anything

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/specialty-products/LB100

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

strtj posted:

Didn't this already happen? I seem to remember that it was absolutely batshit crazy "no one will ever buy this" products and yet it was somehow no crazier than things I've seen being sold with a straight face recently.

the schiit folks were goons at one point

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
That’s awesome… rock on McIntosh. Fleece those boomers.

I have some old McIntosh components I got from my dad… so I hope they don’t go too far into the quackery, but that product is awesome and serving it’s intended purpose and no one can tell me otherwise.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

That lightbox is the physical manifestation of the I Am Rich apps that came out early on in the app stores.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The LED is the wrong color blue! McIntosh is smart, they know their market and stick to it and having distinctive design goes miles in that price bracket, once you get one there's a slippery slope to the whole blue VU stack.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
My partner's DAC and amp are from the same manufacturer but have indicators that are very slightly different shades of blue. I try not to notice it but my it gets my antennae softly twitching every night.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ynohtna posted:

My partner's DAC and amp are from the same manufacturer but have indicators that are very slightly different shades of blue. I try not to notice it but my it gets my antennae softly twitching every night.

:sever:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
B-b-but she's got :krad: self-built speakers. :love:

e: Vitavox Thunderbolt design, bolted and glued to the house foundations.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 20, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Oh wow, it's huge

At that point I feel like they should have just made it full width. I'd also guess some suspiciously expensive rack ears are coming as well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ *LIKE*

I got a Burson Playmate 2 for review. It's 3w class A, USB dac. Not bad but Burson apparently doesn't know their rear end from a hole in the ground when it comes to power supplies.. they send a loving fake bullshit generic Chinese PSU that when plugged into a power strip with NOTHING ELSE made a BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ noise in my main speaker system. Unplug burson PSU and everything is fine. LOL. PSU rated for 120w according to label.. tests at about 20w at best.
Used a HP laptop power adapter and the thing works fine with zero noise.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Sometimes I can't tell what the thread makeup is between people making fun of audiophiles and then audiophiles that think they're not the sort that we make fun of because they don't use cable risers or whatever that post in here.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This thread is Poe’s Law incarnate

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

shortspecialbus posted:

Sometimes I can't tell what the thread makeup is between people making fun of audiophiles and then audiophiles that think they're not the sort that we make fun of because they don't use cable risers or whatever that post in here.

The venn diagram is a circle.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ynohtna posted:

Change out the lamps/leds/filters

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

"Takes one to know one."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You have to be at least partially infected to understand enough to make fun of the people who go full Kimber Cable.

On the flipside I once told a normal person how much my system cost [and it's not very expensive] and he looked at me like I had three heads.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

shortspecialbus posted:

I get bent out of shape over new age weirdo fake science magic, crazy expensive cables, isolation feet on solid state and/or digital products, audiophile fuses and a bunch of other stuff but also am very horny for my mcintosh c712 preamp and my sig other things it's insane that a 20 year old box that is basically a volume knob and selector switch covered in green lit up words was "worth" $800 to me. So like yeah it's different flavours of the same stupid ice cream.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

qirex posted:

On the flipside I once told a normal person how much my system cost [and it's not very expensive] and he looked at me like I had three heads.

Those same people don't blink at the idea of spending eight grand on a two week overseas holiday. Priorities in life.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So there I am, drinking and complaining about how Bluetooth speakers are too small to be any good while absentmindedly browsing guitar center on my phone.

That's a 12" SVS sub next to it for scale.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

KillHour posted:

So there I am, drinking and complaining about how Bluetooth speakers are too small to be any good while absentmindedly browsing guitar center on my phone.

That's a 12" SVS sub next to it for scale.

So... is it any good? Because size is not exactly an indicator of that, and PA speakers (which this would appear to be) are not exactly known for impressive sound quality. And I would assume that it's mono?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

strtj posted:

So... is it any good? Because size is not exactly an indicator of that, and PA speakers (which this would appear to be) are not exactly known for impressive sound quality. And I would assume that it's mono?

That's a very common misconception. A lot of PA speakers sound really drat good, like for instance the JBL SRX835, which sounds like a proper old-school BIG home loudspeaker. Yamaha, QSC, Meyer Sound Labs etc., generally all of the well-regarded manufacturers make models that would work perfectly at home, as long as you don't mind the aesthetics. Using big drivers and being able to move a lot of air gives you a sound that's hard to impossible to replicate using smaller speaker drivers and cabinets.

If your only experiences with PA speakers have been at concerts where the main objective it loudness and not much else, you really should find an opportunity to listen to a competently setup set of PA speakers in setting with recorded music.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

strtj posted:

It is very good for a portable-ish party speaker. It has a ton of features for the money (built in mixer with 4 channels including bluetooth, downmixing from stereo to mono on one of the analog inputs, ability to use two of them as a stereo pair with a downmixed output, direct loopthrough on both mono inputs, built-in EQ and a bunch of stuff I haven't even touched yet). It's pretty much designed to be able to do DJing, concerts, karaoke, PA and whatever else in a single unit without other equipment. You could easily hook up a laptop microphone and guitar and play a venue with nothing else if you wanted.

As for the sound quality, it sounds like a decent horn-loaded speaker. If you crank it past ~2/3rds it starts to sound like every over-driven concert you've ever been to but that's honestly way too loving loud anyways, so keep it at about half and it's about as good as you're going to get outside in a single box.

If you don't like horn-loaded speakers, you'll hate it, but good luck getting that kind of SPL without it.

https://mackie.com/products/srm-v-class-series-high-performance-powered-loudspeakers

Edit: And you can link two speakers together with bluetooth and feed both from the same analog inputs, which is loving cool.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 25, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Can we make this the thread background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's certainly something alright :v: