Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I don't recall anything in WotW about the Martians having visited earth in ancient times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't recall anything in WotW about the Martians having visited earth in ancient times.

Not sure about ancient times, but they did have pods buried underneath the earth for an undetermined amount of time that rose up when it was time for the invasion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Not sure about ancient times, but they did have pods buried underneath the earth for an undetermined amount of time that rose up when it was time for the invasion.

I'm pretty sure that was only in the movie

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The first piece of ancient aliens fiction was an unauthorized sequel written the same year by Garrett P. Serviss, a popular American astronomer (and eugenics advocate) called Edison's Conquest of Mars, which is about Thomas Edison building a space fleet to counter-invade Mars, and when the fleet arrives at Mars they find that the Martians had invaded Earth before 5000 years ago and had built the pyramids and the Sphinx.

HP Lovecraft was an admirer of Serviss and claimed to have read everything Serviss wrote, but there's only circumstantial evidence that he read Edison's Conquest of Mars specifically since it wasn't widely republished until 1947 (and the people who did republish it were actually some of Lovecraft's old friends). Of note is that Robert H. Goddard, who invented liquid fueled rockets, also read Edison's Conquest of Mars and it was one of his inspirations for wanting to design rockets to explore space. I will take the opportunity to say that trying to establish the Serviss/Lovecraft link is one of the things I do in my essay "At the Mountains of Mars" which is part of this collected volume, if anyone is really interested: https://www.hippocampuspress.com/journals/lovecraftian-proceedings/lovecraftian-proceedings-no.-3

Lovecraft's work was taken more seriously in France in the 1940s and 50s than it was in the US, and two of his French admirers were the journalists Louis Pauwels and Jacques Bergier, who in 1960 wrote the book The Morning of the Magicians, which was a direct inspiration for Erich von Daniken writing Chariots of the Gods. And yes, von Daniken is very racist and explicitly claims that Africans are the failed creations of aliens who were attempting to make white people. Jason Colavito has really done the lion's share of work in demonstrating both the HPL-to-Von Daniken pipeline, as well as the racism of Ancient Aliens. One of his fine essays can be found here: https://www.jasoncolavito.com/pauwels-bergier-and-lovecraft.html

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

To be fair, I think every trailer in the last 5 years is produced using the exact same formula.

[Slightly Remixed Version of Popular Song plays over black screen or environmental shot]
[Character says something ominous or philosophical in voice over]
[Fade to Black]
[From the Studio/Director/Writer that brought you...]
[That deep bass bend "Bwaaaa" sound effect and quick shot of action scene]
[Fade to black]
[Rapid series of quick cuts]
[Voice over hinting at conflict with no music]
[Credits]
[Ending stinger with hilarious one-liner]
[FIN]

"the world is changing"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Leon forgot the solemn, minimalist female vocal cover of "I'm A Little Teapot" or whatever

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Halloween Jack posted:

Leon forgot the solemn, minimalist female vocal cover of "I'm A Little Teapot" or whatever

I think [Slightly Remixed Version of Popular Song plays over black screen or environmental shot] covers that!

Not gonna lie, I do find something endearing about the 6 minute trailers from 80's where a narrator just recites the entire plot of the movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

[distorted tones start playing]

I'm a Barbie girl

[burnt out armageddon scenery]

in a Barbie world

[dirty stragglers starving in see thru bubbles]

Life in plastic

[gun fire, bodies, blonde hair whipping in the wind]

Isn't it fantastic

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mat Cauthon posted:

Grain of salt here but I don't get how Johns is still in charge of anything when stories like these seem to drop every other week.

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1379443867972427776?s=19

I mean a big part of Adam stranges character is him being married to a rannian princess and I’m not sure why wanting a white actor as Clark’s grandpa is a big deal.

Geoff sucks at screenwriting but these two examples are really not wrongdoings.

Now if he actively blocked Snyder’s Ryan Choi movie because he only wanted WHITE characters that would be a whole other story.

Also, and this doesn’t really matter, but Geoff is mixed race and has championed diversity in the comics. So I know he’s not some supremacist rear end in a top hat.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Noob Saibot posted:

I mean a big part of Adam stranges character is him being married to a rannian princess and I’m not sure why wanting a white actor as Clark’s grandpa is a big deal.

Geoff sucks at screenwriting but these two examples are really not wrongdoings.

Now if he actively blocked Snyder’s Ryan Choi movie because he only wanted WHITE characters that would be a whole other story.

Also, and this doesn’t really matter, but Geoff is mixed race and has championed diversity in the comics. So I know he’s not some supremacist rear end in a top hat.

Wow, imagine actually defending racist shithead Geoff Johns

Just a reminder: Geoff vetoed a black Superman Grandfather, but he was a-ok with making Zods grandfather and ancestors black.
Also he white mansplained to a black woman how her hair works
Also he specifically called Ray Fisher to taunt him that there was a Cyborg cast in Doompatrol, and threatened his career.

He's a shithead, stop defending shitheads. Thanks

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Freakazoid_ posted:

Having also not read an x-men comic since the 90's, this seems really familiar. Almost like there was a prominent mutant villain fighting for the same thing...

I highly recommend at least the kick off Powers of X and House of X collection that kicks it off by Hickman and Pepe Larazz. It’s very good in its reimagining of the XMen.

In essence it starts with Moira Mctaggart being a mutant and reliving her life multiple times and each time choosing a new path. She encounters Destiny who can tell what she is and gives her an omen then kills her. However after many lives and paths it all leads to one common conclusion. The mutant race is killed or dies, either through various forms of evolution or technology and whatnot. No matter what Moira does to shape events in her lifetimes, including one where she basically has Apocalypse rule all. In her last life she decides to go for broke and helps Xavier and Magneto bring the entire mutant civilization together to give them one more shot at survival. And this sets up the modern XMen.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm glad Geoff Johns got to basically run DC Comics and in the process removed all the POC legacy characters in favor of their white predecessors with the excuse that it's what he grew up with.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Chairman Capone posted:

The first piece of ancient aliens fiction was an unauthorized sequel written the same year by Garrett P. Serviss, a popular American astronomer (and eugenics advocate) called Edison's Conquest of Mars, which is about Thomas Edison building a space fleet to counter-invade Mars, and when the fleet arrives at Mars they find that the Martians had invaded Earth before 5000 years ago and had built the pyramids and the Sphinx.

HP Lovecraft was an admirer of Serviss and claimed to have read everything Serviss wrote, but there's only circumstantial evidence that he read Edison's Conquest of Mars specifically since it wasn't widely republished until 1947 (and the people who did republish it were actually some of Lovecraft's old friends). Of note is that Robert H. Goddard, who invented liquid fueled rockets, also read Edison's Conquest of Mars and it was one of his inspirations for wanting to design rockets to explore space. I will take the opportunity to say that trying to establish the Serviss/Lovecraft link is one of the things I do in my essay "At the Mountains of Mars" which is part of this collected volume, if anyone is really interested: https://www.hippocampuspress.com/journals/lovecraftian-proceedings/lovecraftian-proceedings-no.-3

Lovecraft's work was taken more seriously in France in the 1940s and 50s than it was in the US, and two of his French admirers were the journalists Louis Pauwels and Jacques Bergier, who in 1960 wrote the book The Morning of the Magicians, which was a direct inspiration for Erich von Daniken writing Chariots of the Gods. And yes, von Daniken is very racist and explicitly claims that Africans are the failed creations of aliens who were attempting to make white people. Jason Colavito has really done the lion's share of work in demonstrating both the HPL-to-Von Daniken pipeline, as well as the racism of Ancient Aliens. One of his fine essays can be found here: https://www.jasoncolavito.com/pauwels-bergier-and-lovecraft.html

That's a lot more than I knew about Von Daniken or Ancient Aliens. I never really noticed before but in all the "weird places" the show has gone, has it ever even once gone anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa? It might have. I am, at most, a casual viewer and far from a fan, so I haven't seen every episode.

Roth posted:

I'm glad Geoff Johns got to basically run DC Comics and in the process removed all the POC legacy characters in favor of their white predecessors with the excuse that it's what he grew up with.

I won't say I'm glad about that. But I will say that I'm really happy that the MCU is pretty much free of his and Perlmutter's taint at this point.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Geoff Johns was involved with the MCU?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Noob Saibot posted:

Oh come on

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You can tell Ethan Van Sciver is not a racist because he drew POC for Geoff Johns

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Everyone posted:

That's a lot more than I knew about Von Daniken or Ancient Aliens. I never really noticed before but in all the "weird places" the show has gone, has it ever even once gone anywhere in sub-Saharan Africa? It might have. I am, at most, a casual viewer and far from a fan, so I haven't seen every episode.

I haven't watched the show in years but I know they've touched on the "Sirius Mystery" of the Dogon people of Mali which is one of the big cornerstone ancient aliens theories. As another fun fact: Arthur C. Clarke, who was directly influenced by Lovecraft as a very young author, played a role in the initial creation of the Dogon alien theory, though it was actually written up and publicized by someone else (Robert Temple).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Roth posted:

You can tell Ethan Van Sciver is not a racist because he drew POC for Geoff Johns

Mike "Hapajap" Miller is the gold standard here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That was a good troll but I don't think we need to back racists to rile up the comics chat, dude.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

Was it built on top of the natives of the land, or are they trying to avoid the most obvious ethnostate comparison

Magneto made the declaration of the mutant state to the worlds ambassadors in Jerusalem so not really avoiding the comparison, no!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Wonder Woman 84 is back on HBO Max and while I didn't like it, I did appreciate it as actually feeling like the kind of superhero movie that would have been made in the early 80s, which I assumed was the intention.

But aside from a few bits it wasn't great and didn't feel like it fit in the same universe as the first WW or the Snyder stuff.

Guy on news channel discussion panel talking about how mankind being introduced to the Superman has completely shook the foundations of the world: "Man, this is even crazier than the time the magic wish guy appeared on every TV on earth and granted everyone's wish but it brought about the end of the world and we all had to renounce our wishes."

Roman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 26, 2021

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Weird thing I just noticed in the Eternals trailer.

Three versions of Captain America's shield actually show up in three different places and it is completely miss-able every time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Weird thing I just noticed in the Eternals trailer.

Three versions of Captain America's shield actually show up in three different places and it is completely miss-able every time.

That is weird. I don't really know what to make of that. Did the Eternals influence Howard Stark when making the shield? Or is this just going to be a visual reference and nothing more?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

There's also a Captain America shield in the Black Widow trailer so maybe this is Marvel's thing now. Captain America shields.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I've been reading comics for decades and couldn't tell you what the Eternals are or name a single one of them. They've got to be complete unknowns in mainstream culture.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I've been reading comics for decades and couldn't tell you what the Eternals are or name a single one of them. They've got to be complete unknowns in mainstream culture.

They absolutely are. But so were the Guardians to mainstream culture, honestly. I know I hadn't heard of them when that movie was announced, and I read a fair amount of comics in the 80s and 90s. (The only people in that movie I had heard of before were Thanos and Nebula.) Anyone saying that this will be Marvel's first bomb are going to be rather surprised.

I think a Marvel "bomb" will have to be a slow burn of a couple small disappointments that diminish the brand before an actual bomb. I can't imagine one specific movie having a hard drop off at this point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

thrawn527 posted:

I think a Marvel "bomb" will have to be a slow burn of a couple small disappointments that diminish the brand before an actual bomb. I can't imagine one specific movie having a hard drop off at this point.

Same, they would have to have a couple of underperforming+not well-liked flicks in a row before a real the-MCU-is-doomed-level bomb happens.

I doubt Eternals will be that. I forget what the marketing was like for Guardians but you'll have plenty of "[YOUTUBE PERSON NAME] explains THE ETERNALS" videos and online articles doing the buildup for them. I think that and just the inertia of people talking about the first big new Marvel flick will mean it does pretty well regardless of how unknown the characters are.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

josh04 posted:

There's also a Captain America shield in the Black Widow trailer so maybe this is Marvel's thing now. Captain America shields.

Isn't that just the metal shield Taskmaster uses to mimic Captain America? Or was there a hidden one in that trailer too?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

[distorted tones start playing]

I'm a Barbie girl

[burnt out armageddon scenery]

in a Barbie world

[dirty stragglers starving in see thru bubbles]

Life in plastic

[gun fire, bodies, blonde hair whipping in the wind]

Isn't it fantastic

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1390748509499011076

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

thrawn527 posted:

They absolutely are. But so were the Guardians to mainstream culture, honestly. I know I hadn't heard of them when that movie was announced, and I read a fair amount of comics in the 80s and 90s. (The only people in that movie I had heard of before were Thanos and Nebula.) Anyone saying that this will be Marvel's first bomb are going to be rather surprised.

I don't know about that, Rocket Racoon and Groot had shown up in video games and stuff before the movies came out. Drax was a somewhat major character in the Jim Starlin Infinity Gauntlet comics, which are some of the most widely-read ever written. The Eternals, in contrast, have never appeared in anything ever. I'm sure the movie will make a billion dollars anyway.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 26, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pretty sure that was only in the movie
And even then it's less that the aliens were helping us build poo poo and more the dark notion that our entire civilization was essentially being farmed by another species.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I don't know about that, Rocket Racoon and Groot had shown up in a video games and stuff before the movies came out. Drax was a somewhat major character in the Jim Starlin Infinity Gauntlet comics, which are some of the most widely-read ever written. The Eternals, in contrast, have never appeared in anything ever. I'm sure the movie will make a billion dollars anyway.
It’s not just that, Guardians worked because it was a tight team of 5 likable screwups in a slickly directed movie. This is 10 godlike beings in a film with a more reserved style (based on the trailer).

I don’t think it’s a simple apples to apple comparison.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I think the difference between Guardians and Eternals is that while both are unknown characters Guardians is a pretty straightforward concept that people are familiar with and generally like. The first trailer makes it clear that GotG is going to be about a ragtag group if eccentrics that team up to have adventures. That's a standard action movie concept that people can buy into really easily.

The Eternals trailer just shows people standing around. It's daring the audience to care about it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

I think the difference between Guardians and Eternals is that while both are unknown characters Guardians is a pretty straightforward concept that people are familiar with and generally like. The first trailer makes it clear that GotG is going to be about a ragtag group if eccentrics that team up to have adventures. That's a standard action movie concept that people can buy into really easily.

The Eternals trailer just shows people standing around. It's daring the audience to care about it.

I'll have you know Guardians was wildest and most left field concepts ever bought to mainstream cinema. They had a tree man and a talking racoon. A talking racoon!

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
A lot of people are underestimating the brand power of the MCU. It's basically Apple-like. Bunch of people are gonna watch. Kids grew up on this poo poo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The allure of these movies isn't even the story, it's doing references to Easter eggs from the last 3 movies and setting up a bunch for the next half dozen. If the viewer really wants to maximize their enjoyment of the ones they care about they better see the rest of them too, just to be safe.

If nothing else they've cracked the code on how to make comic book tie-ins work successfully.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

can't wait to watch the movie about the aliens who don't do anything

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

multijoe posted:

I'll have you know Guardians was wildest and most left field concepts ever bought to mainstream cinema. They had a tree man and a talking racoon. A talking racoon!

Plus there's no riskier lead than a handsome (and now super buff!)
white actor famous for playing lovable man-children!

And there was no way to know if audiences enjoy fantasies of criminals/warriors who just need a friend to realize their hearts of gold, very unheard of story!

Like who would like a soundtrack entirely of hit songs?!?

I actually like the first guardian movie a fair bit, but the way it was (still is?) hyped is super :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blood Boils posted:

Plus there's no riskier lead than a handsome (and now super buff!)
white actor famous for playing lovable man-children!

Still bullshit they didn't go with Five Star Man Glenn Howerton