Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Actual info via IGN. Online play will feature spectating, 16-player public and private lobbies, round-robin online tournaments, and new communication tools. Notice anything conspicuously missing from that sentence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sony paid for timed exclusivity from Rollback Netcode

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If they aren't mentioning rollback explicitly then that means that it doesn't have one, that + PS4 exclusivity = dead on arrival.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah but think of the Sega exec pocketing the exclusivity money. Arent they truly the winner?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Im concerned that they built it on a whole new engine instead of porting the existing game with new models.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Im concerned that they built it on a whole new engine instead of porting the existing game with new models.

My assumption, and this is based on zilch, is this is a way to simultaneously get paid and test VF's popularity while doing groundwork and practice for a team to do a true sequel

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
comedy option: sega no longer has the middleware licenses to build whatever ancient engine vf5 ran on

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Yikes Sega, feels like the bare minimun effort. It being PS4 exclusive is so bizarre... Like why?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Big Scary Owl posted:

Yikes Sega, feels like the bare minimun effort. It being PS4 exclusive is so bizarre... Like why?

“Hi sega, here’s a check for (I assume timed) exclusivity”

*sega thinks about how nobody will buy their game anyways and the few that do will likely have playstations anyways* “yeah okay”

I mean no PC version is disappointing but not a big shock

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

comedy option: sega no longer has the middleware licenses to build whatever ancient engine vf5 ran on

Theres a Japanese company a friend worked for who has a key businesses operation tied entirely to a program made by a company that no longer exists that no one knows how it works. It operates using reel tape and must manually have the reels swapped weekly. No more reels of this type exist since it uses some weird proprietary Japanese model so you have to sign a massive liability indemnity to touch the things.

What Im saying is this is very possible

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

https://youtu.be/I-Lys7OLglU Guilty Gear Strive OST preview has snippets of all the other character themes

MUCH better than Xrd, which had a few good ones but I mainly just used the classic songs while playing since quite a lot of the music tracks barely registered as memorable. Really loving Strive's soundtrack though. I-No's is the one that stuck out as being ill-chosen though---it doesn't feel as hard rocking for a guitar witch.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Feels like some real monkey's paw thing

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

After watching the trailer and seeing the PS exclusive, no rollback mentioned, etc. I am now more excited for Fuckboy Fade Kazuya than I am VF

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

dragon enthusiast posted:

Entirely possible, pretty sure it was built on Criterions Renderware, which isn't cheap to license.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Entirely possible, pretty sure it was built on Criterions Renderware, which isn't cheap to license.
Renderware is long dead, dissolved into EA's internal tech. It also, as the name suggested, primarily handled the visual side of things while the game developer built the "game" side of things. I could see Sega taking VF5's game code and transplanting it into Dragon Engine.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It must really suck to be a Virtual Fighter fan.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

The Kins posted:

Actual info via IGN. Online play will feature spectating, 16-player public and private lobbies, round-robin online tournaments, and new communication tools. Notice anything conspicuously missing from that sentence?

Yes! rollback training mode

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

loving Virtua Fighter lives, let’s goooooo

My jam of all jams

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

DLC Inc posted:

MUCH better than Xrd, which had a few good ones but I mainly just used the classic songs while playing since quite a lot of the music tracks barely registered as memorable. Really loving Strive's soundtrack though. I-No's is the one that stuck out as being ill-chosen though---it doesn't feel as hard rocking for a guitar witch.

But Heavy Day is an insanely amazing song that’s super replayable

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The Kins posted:

Renderware is long dead, dissolved into EA's internal tech. It also, as the name suggested, primarily handled the visual side of things while the game developer built the "game" side of things. I could see Sega taking VF5's game code and transplanting it into Dragon Engine.

Yeah I used to work on Renderware back in the day.

From the sounds of it they've ported the whole thing into the Yakuza engine

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

There is a VF5 Ultimate Showdown event going down on may 27th. Not all details currently known about the game so I figure the big info is gonna come from that event.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The instrumentals on many of the Strive songs is cool but as soon as the lyrics start up its like someone slammed on the brakes. The Faust vocals really hammer in the Alice in Chains aesthetic so it kinda works there but most of these tracks would be improved by an instrumental cut. The May track is awful as a GG theme, it sounds like they took the lighter elements from Starry Story or Blue Water Blue Sky and discarded all of the rock parts. It sounds like how the old UI looked.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Actually you’ll find vocals in fighting game music is awesome and should be done as much as physically possible.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rest in power Indestructible.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mays theme is so loving good. blows the rest out of the water

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

All the themes are amazing but May is one of the best. GG should never go without vocals again.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

Rest in power Indestructible.

We didn't know how great we had it back in 2008

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The vocals on May's old theme were pretty nice too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwbLEl59KfI

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gutcruncher posted:

Actually you’ll find vocals in fighting game music is awesome and should be done as much as physically possible.

Not a moment for, this torment now.
We can never fix, what a big big mistake

I also dig the big bad boss theme from Central Fiction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af6JRDhNBiw

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

https://youtu.be/6JapDyUwAu8

KI’s soundtrack owns

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I didn't really think Sega was going to spend the huge chunk of time and money rollback for 3D games costs on a PS4 port of a 15 year old fighting game from a dead franchise that was announced in the vaguest, weirdest way possible

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Just the fact that it was announced as “Virtua fighter esports” really should’ve set everyone’s expectations for a port of VF5FS with some kind of netplay and a tournament mode thrown in. The fact that they went and redid the graphics and music really exceeded my own expectations

Edit: I also suspected that it would maybe also be a compilation of a couple games like Puyo Puyo Esports was but I wasn’t married to that idea

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mierenneuker posted:

Not a moment for, this torment now.
We can never fix, what a big big mistake

I also dig the big bad boss theme from Central Fiction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af6JRDhNBiw

Central Fiction's OP song also owns hard :colbert:

Agreed completely that fighting games should have more vocals in character songs

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Virtua Fighter 2 is pretty alive on Playstation Now at least. :smith:

In addition to Sega bungling this whole thing, no one wants to play SF3: New Generation or Double Impact on Fightcade and it saddens me further as they're good games that we can play with rollback. Everybody just wants to play 3s. :saddowns:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

NGL this is the first song in my boxing workout playlist

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

At least vf5 is potentially a give away cause theres no way id pay for it on the eve of strive

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

Just the fact that it was announced as “Virtua fighter esports” really should’ve set everyone’s expectations for a port of VF5FS with some kind of netplay and a tournament mode thrown in. The fact that they went and redid the graphics and music really exceeded my own expectations

Edit: I also suspected that it would maybe also be a compilation of a couple games like Puyo Puyo Esports was but I wasn’t married to that idea

Puyo Puyo Fighter: the game where one person plays puyo puyo and the other plays a 3d fighter. Like the video game version of boxing chess

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
I also think vocals in fighting games own but only when its killer instinct 2013 cause boy i really hate the vocals in strive. All of it just sounds like poo poo. Im biased though cause i never cared for iwishitaris dad rock sound.

VF is a series that never did super great in the west so I'm not surprised at saga's lack of care feature wise for this game. Im just happy im getting what im getting. Ill definitely pay attention to their livestream on thursday to see more details.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 25, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the vocals in gg strive are good because anyone who thinks theyre bad shouldnt be playing guilty gear because they dont get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
100 percent agree I dont get the appeal of that series at all so I never really play it.

It seems like Sega's looking for influencers to give codes to: https://twitter.com/dawgtanian/status/1397236338634678291