Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

I don't disagree, it's a great editor, but the learning curve is so steep it might as well be a circle
this is an accurate depiction except each time you loop the circle you transcend into another state of being that non-terminal-editor-users will never understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
treating editors as a religion is weird. vscode is the path of least resistance in 2021 but vim and emacs are fine if you prefer them.

save your arguing for the important issues, such as what font you use

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i set text editors to comic sans to appropriately convey just how much of a joke anything is that i edit in an editor (vs a proper ide)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

treating editors as a religion is weird. vscode is the path of least resistance in 2021 but vim and emacs are fine if you prefer them.

save your arguing for the important issues, such as what font you use

linux users fight over which of there terrible text editors is better when the reality is they're both a piece of poo poo just like their os.

it took microsoft to create the first working text editor for linux and even then its not good and runs on javascript

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

just use whatever you like and are comfortable with

however, emacs WILL give you RSI, i've seen it happen with coworkers

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

they then code around the RSI-giving elements of emacs, buy kineses, and continue emacs-ing away

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

editor fonts: fira code or gtfo

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Kazinsal posted:

editor font arguments: fire all coders, now gtfo

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kazinsal posted:

editor fonts: fira code or gtfo

only if your ide supports ligatures, if it doesn't get a better ide

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
ligatures are waxed mustaches of dev environment dress up

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

emacs is the way and the light

especially now that the LSP language server stuff has really solidified

and magit and org-mode? goddamn it's nice

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
ligatures are stupid

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ynohtna posted:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

eurrrrrrgh

should i try and write my own cool html UI for this thing im making or should i stick with this one i grabbed from someone else but is proving to need me to gut a lot of poo poo
which is turning into its own challenge of "can i remove this bit without the whole thing having a stroke"

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
I have a .emacs because dicking around
I enabled line numbers
I installed treemacs to get a project view
M-x treemacs
My project view has line numbers

The minimap plugin just creates a copy of your current buffer with braille characters (or Profont or whatever) at text size 3

Please stop putting everything in effing text buffers. Deprecate terminals. Make the mouse behave normally.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ocean of Milk posted:

I have a .emacs because dicking around
I enabled line numbers
I installed treemacs to get a project view
M-x treemacs
My project view has line numbers

The minimap plugin just creates a copy of your current buffer with braille characters (or Profont or whatever) at text size 3

Please stop putting everything in effing text buffers. Deprecate terminals. Make the mouse behave normally.

emacs adherents are the unix version of george rr martin using wordstar 4.0 to write the game of thrones books in 2021

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Works for me :smug: although I don't really use the treemacs stuff.

emacs currently has two line number systems, a nicer newer one that uses "display-line-number-mode" and an older shittier deprecated one called "linum-mode" that can often wind up doing poo poo like that. It sucks that it's still around but things are always getting better

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ynohtna posted:

so they let everyone know you are one cool dude?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Boiled Water posted:

emacs being great is a lisp lie told to people who like just a little more lisp

I don't disagree, it's a great editor, but the learning curve is so steep it might as well be a circle

one of my favourite board games has (what the designer readily admits is) a learning curve that's more like a learning spike

hbag posted:

doom emacs is emacs but with vim keybindings
sorta like evil mode but uh

different
idfk

then what is dr spacemacs

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Armitag3 posted:

You know what, just don't learn a single editor and go hard on low-code.

Drag and drop that login page into being.

ah, an xcode developer I see

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Kazinsal posted:

emacs adherents are the unix version of george rr martin using wordstar 4.0 to write the game of thrones books in 2021

Must make them hugely efficient just like George

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

hbag posted:

eurrrrrrgh

should i try and write my own cool html UI for this thing im making or should i stick with this one i grabbed from someone else but is proving to need me to gut a lot of poo poo
which is turning into its own challenge of "can i remove this bit without the whole thing having a stroke"

writing your own UI sucks, but editing someone else's UI also sucks so it's really kind of a case by case thing.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Share Bear posted:

just use whatever you like and are comfortable with

however, emacs WILL give you RSI, i've seen it happen with coworkers

Yeah all I really care about is not loving up my wrists permanently because I decided to make a career out of computer touching. My mom needed surgery on both wrists from carpal tunnel because she uses a keyboard all day. The minor inconvenience of adapting to an ergonomic keyboard and learning vim navigation has been worth it to not have to deal with all that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I keep telling myself I'll finally stick to vim when rsi sets in

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

none of you know the pain of ISPF editor and it shows

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Oh and I only throw out VS code as a rec if your workplace won't pony up for IntelliJ. Code is cool and good but IntelliJ is the real poo poo. (But I'd never pay for it myself.)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

carry on then posted:

none of you know the pain of ISPF editor and it shows

never worked with any mainframes so nope. kinda want to see how bad it is now tho

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Kazinsal posted:

never worked with any mainframes so nope. kinda want to see how bad it is now tho

quote:

To insert a line between existing lines, type I over a number in the line command field and press Enter. The line command field is the 6-column row displayed on the left side of the panel when you create or edit a data set. The new line is inserted after the one on which you typed the I .

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

thanks for the loving ISPF flashbacks, rear end in a top hat.

I use emacs but I remap caps to ctrl and mostly use evil anyway. I’d rather use IntelliJ but I’m doing opsy things so I’m in and out of file formats that IntelliJ and vscode don’t know what the gently caress to do with and it’s nice to have one editor with consistent key binds and behavior.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

shoeberto posted:

Oh and I only throw out VS code as a rec if your workplace won't pony up for IntelliJ. Code is cool and good but IntelliJ is the real poo poo. (But I'd never pay for it myself.)

IntelliJ community edition is just as good poo poo for most use cases, and doesn't cost a dime.

I guess if you're doing webshit then you might need to pony up.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Fortaleza posted:

emacs currently has two line number systems, a nicer newer one that uses "display-line-number-mode" and an older shittier deprecated one called "linum-mode" that can often wind up doing poo poo like that. It sucks that it's still around but things are always getting better
good to hear that in tyool 2021 emacs can almost do line numbering

it's very linux to then have two options to do so, broken in different ways. well done.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I type in a big IDE with my wife

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fortaleza posted:

emacs is the way and the light

especially now that the LSP language server stuff has really solidified

and magit and org-mode? goddamn it's nice

ah yes, org-mode. nothing like learning a dsl within a dsl for a loving TODO app

quote:

You might want to automatically keep track of when a state change occurred and maybe take a note about this change. You can either record just a timestamp, or a time-stamped note. These records are inserted after the headline as an itemized list, newest first43. When taking a lot of notes, you might want to get the notes out of the way into a drawer (see Drawers). Customize the variable org-log-into-drawer to get this behavior—the recommended drawer for this is called ‘LOGBOOK’44. You can also overrule the setting of this variable for a subtree by setting a ‘LOG_INTO_DRAWER’ property.

Since it is normally too much to record a note for every state, Org mode expects configuration on a per-keyword basis for this. This is achieved by adding special markers ‘!’ (for a timestamp) or ‘@’ (for a note with timestamp) in parentheses after each keyword. For example, with the setting

(setq org-todo-keywords
'((sequence "TODO(t)" "WAIT(w@/!)" "|" "DONE(d!)" "CANCELED(c@)")))

To record a timestamp without a note for TODO keywords configured with ‘@’, just type C-c C-c to enter a blank note when prompted.

so goddamn nice

meanwhile, outside in the sun, it's 2021 and normies are saying with their mouths 'hello my robotic assistant who lives in the cloud, please buy me a suitcase with next-day delivery and book me a flight to Honolulu for Saturday morning'

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

NihilCredo posted:

ah yes, org-mode. nothing like learning a dsl within a dsl for a loving TODO app
so goddamn nice

meanwhile, outside in the sun, it's 2021 and normies are saying with their mouths 'hello my robotic assistant who lives in the cloud, please buy me a suitcase with next-day delivery and book me a flight to Honolulu for Saturday morning'

so what you’re saying is we’re all using command lines now, but the nerds still have manpages while the normies get to just try to guess what commands exist and what arguments each takes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

necrotic posted:

ligatures are stupid

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

a senior software guy at work just sent an email saying he failed to debug a critical issue

and followed it up with

and i can’t stop laughing

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

fart simpson posted:

a senior software guy at work just sent an email saying he failed to debug a critical issue

and followed it up with

and i can’t stop laughing

am i misunderstanding something here or is he setting the url as the output file name

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yes that appears to be the case.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

he’s also sending his curl —version to another guy as if to say the other guy is responsible for debugging this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

He should email the author of curl.