Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Got my Apple TV yesterday and tried it out last night. Only point of comparison is a Fire TV Stick, and yeah I'm ready to throw the Fire TV stick in the trash.

The Apple TV doesn't run like rear end, doesn't constantly bitch about the remote being disconected (despite the Fire TV remote still working and sending inputs to the Fire TV Stick while the "Your remote is not working!" popup shows up), doesn't constantly patronize me with poo poo like "Hey did you know the Fire TV Stick supports Alexa? Try saying the name of the show to the remote next time, you loving moron"

Oh yeah, and when Netflix stops playing in the middle of the night because I fell asleep, it actually loving turns the TV off.

So yeah basically I have no idea why I hesitated on buying the Apple TV for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Got homepods working with the new 4K as primary speakers. It’s great. Boxed up my 5yr old sound bar. Apple took out the ability to play homepods and tv speakers at the same time. I wonder if it was because the syncing got worse with each point release. With the new ARC set up I don’t appear to have any latency watching cable tv.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sonatinas posted:

Got homepods working with the new 4K as primary speakers. It’s great. Boxed up my 5yr old sound bar. Apple took out the ability to play homepods and tv speakers at the same time. I wonder if it was because the syncing got worse with each point release. With the new ARC set up I don’t appear to have any latency watching cable tv.

Does it automatically play through them now or do you have to go in and select them like you used to?

I want to replace my sound bar in the bedroom but I don’t want to keep selecting the HomePod every time I try and use the Apple TV.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MarcusSA posted:

Does it automatically play through them now or do you have to go in and select them like you used to?

I want to replace my sound bar in the bedroom but I don’t want to keep selecting the HomePod every time I try and use the Apple TV.

So far it sticks to the homepods without them changing back. I’ll have to see how it goes for a couple days of regular use.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Yeah the new remote rules and will rule even harder once a few apps fix scrolling. A+ very good.

Only problem is I keep hitting mute instead of play/pause but that ones on me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sonatinas posted:

So far it sticks to the homepods without them changing back. I’ll have to see how it goes for a couple days of regular use.

Thanks! That’s good to know they might have fixed it and I can dump my sound bar.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah the new remote rules and will rule even harder once a few apps fix scrolling. A+ very good.

Only problem is I keep hitting mute instead of play/pause but that ones on me.

Same. Overall I’m very happy with it. I just need to time to train myself where the new buttons are.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Can the power button on the new remote send via IR or is it only via HDMI-CEC?

Pretty sure it’s only cec. There’s no option to program it at least, unlike the volume and mute buttons.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dugong posted:

Hey thread, just got a new (and my first) Apple TV. It’s pretty cool! Is there a way to change the sound control buttons from controlling my tv’s built in speakers to my separate amp?

On mine this is a setting in the tv, not the ATV.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Granite Octopus posted:

Pretty sure it’s only cec. There’s no option to program it at least, unlike the volume and mute buttons.

Bummer… guess I’ll forego buying one until my TV dies.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smackfu posted:

Biggest negative of the new remote so far: very loud when it gets knocked off the couch arm on to the hardwood floors. The old one had a silicon case to make it usable and that made it very quiet. Wouldn’t be surprised if the aluminum gets dinged up.

Also, I wish the power button just turned it off instead of requiring a hold.
The old one didn't have a silicone case either :ssh:

Well by default, I guess you mean third party ones. Surprised there aren't any yet considering how fast stuff tends to come out.

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 24, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

New remote is good. I just wish certain apps I use would respect the back button more and not exit the entire app.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

got my costco notice my atv has shipped!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Apple should make it a requirement that when you pause video content it shows the fuckin time bar.

gently caress you YouTube!!! :argh::argh:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

didn't get any notice or shipping updates from apple, but just got mine today :)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

New remote is good. I just wish certain apps I use would respect the back button more and not exit the entire app.

This usually happens when you've gone far as far "back" as possible, yes? Not the worst thing from a usability perspective, but I've definitely accidentally exited an app when I didn't mean to. I haven't really noticed - do all apps do this?

I personally love the new remote, and I'm excited for every app to add clickwheel scrolling, even though swiping works well enough for me for scrubbing through a video. As much as a real directional pad was needed, I do find myself using the swiping gestures a lot with the new remote. I'll probably buy another for the older Apple TV 4K that's going in the bedroom.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 25, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Interested in the new ARC to HomePod functionality, at least once it works with HomePod minis and other AirPlay 2 targets. Is there any type of external HDMI switch thing that would work with it? I have a cheap projector that I'm pretty sure doesn't have ARC, although considering the price of niche AV hardware I'm guessing it might be cheaper to just get a better projector.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

man this thing is the apple TV i've always wanted. Not sure if my last 4k one was aging, but it definitely slowed down quite a bit at times

Local airplay (as-in literally local, not same network only) is enabled by default. I wonder if the range is short, otherwise in urban areas, might lead to funny invasive antics

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 25, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The ATV4 is *definitely* showing its age. We had one on the office 1080p TV, and on the occasion I'd use it, it was noticeably more choppy than the 4kv1 in the living room (that is now in the office).

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Man, I was losing my mind at weird audio desync, and it turns out Corridow Crew just don't know how to sync their audio in any of their YouTube videos.

Still curious how framerate matching might be a factor; Twitch is still very weird, but then again, it's the Twitch app.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gay Retard posted:

This usually happens when you've gone far as far "back" as possible, yes? Not the worst thing from a usability perspective, but I've definitely accidentally exited an app when I didn't mean to. I haven't really noticed - do all apps do this?
I've noticed a few apps have at least added a confirmation prompt when you hit back at highest menu level. Wouldn't mind if that was a standard feature across the board. But it would be even better IMO if a long-press was required to go home, or if back just wouldn't go home at all if you had 'home' mapped to the TV button. Really janks up the viewing experience when you're accidentally snapping in and out of the OS!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

man this thing is the apple TV i've always wanted. Not sure if my last 4k one was aging, but it definitely slowed down quite a bit at times

Local airplay (as-in literally local, not same network only) is enabled by default. I wonder if the range is short, otherwise in urban areas, might lead to funny invasive antics
Heh I think someone was complaining about that in another thread about that. Like they were in an apartment and had multiple other people's stuff showing up in their AirPlay list cause the proximity. I think they tried playing a message on how to turn it off but iirc never got anywhere.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

got my costco notice my atv has shipped!

Ugh, nothing for me yet , hopefully tomorrow. My local Apple store doesn’t have one in stock, so I’m waiting it out for now. This is an upgrade, so it’s not like I don’t have an Apple TV currently.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Picked one up at the Apple Store today (surreal going into a deserted mall with security checkpoints). Seems a big upgrade from my old second gen unit. Really want the remote click wheel to work more like the iPod wheel, though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So I have an older Rotel--vintage at this point--stereo amp I use for my entertainment center. It has a weird mechanical volume knob that can be adjusted manually or remotely. No matter how much fiddling I did with my LG BX universal remote, and even the PS5 media remote, it would stop controlling it within a day.

The apple TV remote learned the commands no problem from the original remote, even mute, and it's been a few days sans issue. Cool.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My Costco order still didn’t ship and the apple store has it in inventory, so I called it and cancelled the Costco order, I’ll pay the extra $10 and get it today.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I can't for the life of me get the new remote's scroll forward/backward to work. I even watched a video. I'm holding it wrong?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

canyonero posted:

I can't for the life of me get the new remote's scroll forward/backward to work. I even watched a video. I'm holding it wrong?

Some apps don't support it yet, like Plex.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It is very on brand for Plex to be poo poo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Matt Zerella posted:

Some apps don't support it yet, like Plex.

Curious if you override the new video engine and use the original if it works.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Argh, has anyone else noticed Hulu saying that they have various movies available if you search for them with Siri, and then the page it links to doesn’t have any way to play the movie?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

smackfu posted:

Argh, has anyone else noticed Hulu saying that they have various movies available if you search for them with Siri, and then the page it links to doesn’t have any way to play the movie?

I think they want you to sign up for Live TV or the add-ons to play them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hulu also leaves stub pages in your queue for stuff they don’t have any more.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Island Nation posted:

I think they want you to sign up for Live TV or the add-ons to play them

Ah yes, probably some Live TV service they offer showed the movie once so they list it in their catalog.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

My Costco order still didn’t ship and the apple store has it in inventory, so I called it and cancelled the Costco order, I’ll pay the extra $10 and get it today.

Same, except my local Best Buy had a bunch of them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My remote was delivered today.

I'm really liking it, bad to turn off touch feature on the center button thought and just have it set to click. Love the chunkiness of the haptic clicks on this thing.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

My remote was delivered today.

I'm really liking it, bad to turn off touch feature on the center button thought and just have it set to click. Love the chunkiness of the haptic clicks on this thing.

I had to turn off the touch settings too. I don't understand why the center and the ring have to be the same settings.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

anyone leave "reduce loud sounds" on permanently? Does it gently caress with the audio mixing at all in a bad way?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

anyone leave "reduce loud sounds" on permanently? Does it gently caress with the audio mixing at all in a bad way?
Apparently I have and haven't noticed, so uh I guess it's fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I’m really obnoxious about audio mixing and stuff and I think it’s fine. Having it off will sound much better in various cases but babying the remote because everything apparently needs a massive dynamic range sucks a lot. Give it a shot, realistically your ears will adapt to it anyway. It definitely does what it says.

source: used it for years and am giving the default no reduced sounds settings a try with my new Apple TV now. It still sucks adjusting the volume more than I want to so I may end up back to it.