Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
not scrolling up sorry

https://twitter.com/CaitlinLong_/status/1397008854626471936

(not sorry)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Maybe the 10th time will help?

quote:

Bitcoin took investors on another rollercoaster ride over the weekend after a top regulator in China announced a crackdown on mining, a new tack in the country’s ongoing fight against the cryptocurrency.

The government will “crack down on bitcoin mining and trading behavior and resolutely prevent the transfer of individual risks to the society,” said the statement, which was issued by the Financial Stability and Development Committee of the State Council, the country’s cabinet equivalent. The committee is chaired by Vice Premier Liu He, who acts as President Xi Jinping’s top representative on economic and financial matters.

“The wording of the statement did not leave much leeway for cryptocurrency mining,” Li Yi, chief research fellow at the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, told the South China Morning Post. “When all mining activities are banned in China, it will be a turning point for the fate of bitcoin, as a large chunk of its processing power is taken out of the picture.”

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
we set the doge fee up to vary with the phases of the moon as per elon musk's orders (muskstructions) unfortunately the varying fee has been very troublesome of late so we are preparing to resolve the issue by destroying the moon. which is pretty awesome haha

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
from now on it is the law that any posts about elon musk shall end with "which is pretty awesome haha". which is pretty awesome haha

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Price is rebounding, did Zuarg sell again or something

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Splicer posted:

Price is rebounding, did Zuarg sell again or something

Nah, just the usual market manipulation.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
idea: Mickey Musk

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hammerite posted:

idea: Mickey Musk

Mickey & Mallory Musk in Natural Boern Bazingas.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I thought you said Brazil for a second

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

paypal picked a great time to launch their marketing campaign

that "what exactly is crypto?" thing doesn't link anywhere either, that is what crypto is, that's all you get

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
$1*

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Shame Boy posted:

paypal picked a great time to launch their marketing campaign

that "what exactly is crypto?" thing doesn't link anywhere either, that is what crypto is, that's all you get

"prices change every minute of every day"

...this is good for a currency because

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

jisforjosh posted:

"prices change every minute of every day"

...this is good for a currency because NUMBER GO UP*

*number may not go up

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fiat currency exchange rates vary over time. The issue is just the magnitude of the changes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

love that "you might one day be able to actually buy things with this money" is a marketing point

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
they're not gonna make u rich 4 free bucko

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
what exactly* is crypto?

*extremely generally

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
what is crypto?

we just dont know

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Can someone point me in the area of the (hopefully hoaxed) Proof of Pixels thing? I have run into miner software twice in the last ten years from sites in the Bitcoin system that were luckily caught by protective software. I’m scared of stumbling my way into the wrong places on my computer.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

simpsonslotterycommercial.gif

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/leereiners/status/1397254301253345287

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

OK if they manage to put a national security from Russia/China/random country the US wants something from this week spin on it it might actually happen

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

what is this poo poo?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/upstart-peer-to-peer-crypto-exchanges-take-aim-at-coinbase-11621848601

quote:

Coinbase Global Inc., which has made billions running cryptocurrency markets, is facing competition from a new breed of upstarts that look less like the New York Stock Exchange and more like Napster, the defunct music-sharing service.

Decentralized exchanges are peer-to-peer networks for swapping digital tokens. Last month, $122 billion in transactions took place on DEXes, as they are known, up from less than $1 billion a year earlier, according to data provider Messari.

Uniswap, the largest decentralized exchange, had volume of $36.6 billion in April, compared with $110 billion at Coinbase, Messari data show. Hayden Adams, a 27-year-old Brooklyn, N.Y., native, built the first version of Uniswap after being laid off from his job as an engineer at Siemens AG.

Unlike conventional crypto exchanges, DEXes don’t require users to hand their digital tokens to the exchange to be able to trade. That appeals to traders worried about losing their holdings to hackers who have a long history of targeting crypto exchanges for theft.

There is no central authority on a decentralized exchange to decide who is allowed to trade, or what tokens can be traded. Uniswap can be used to trade more than 30,000 unique tokens.

“It’s like eBay. If you want to sell something, you can list it,” said Boris Wertz, founding partner of Version One Ventures, a venture-capital firm that invested in Uniswap last year alongside Andreessen Horowitz, one of Silicon Valley’s most prominent VC firms.

Decentralized exchanges hark back to the initial vision of cryptocurrencies as a new type of financial system, free from middlemen. But some lawyers warn that DEXes could be on a collision course with regulators.

DEXes generally don’t have safeguards against money laundering, or “know your customer” measures in which an exchange confirms the identity of traders using the platform. That could raise red flags for government authorities, especially as DEXes gain popularity, said Ashley Ebersole, a former Securities and Exchange Commission attorney.

“If a lot of money is moving across your platform, regulators could have serious problems if you’re not asking even basic questions to know who’s involved in those transactions and where they’re located,” said Mr. Ebersole, who is now a partner at Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP.

There is evidence of criminals using decentralized exchanges. After the September theft of $281 million from KuCoin, an overseas crypto exchange, the thieves used Uniswap to trade $10.5 million of stolen coins for ether, a key step in their effort to launder the proceeds of the heist, according to Elliptic, a blockchain-analytics firm.

ADVERTISEMENT
Another analytics firm, Chainalysis, has linked the KuCoin theft to a criminal syndicate working on behalf of the North Korean government.

Mr. Adams, the creator of Uniswap, said in an interview that he was “no fan” of hackers or scammers. But he stressed that Uniswap was simply a protocol—a way for computers to talk to each other—that could be used for good or evil.

“It is like the internet,” he said. “There are good things that happen on the internet, and there are bad things that happen on the internet. The internet is this neutral infrastructure.”

Moreover, because there isn’t a central set of servers that runs Uniswap, it can’t be shut down. It is also unclear how the government could require any entity to act as a gatekeeper and identity people using the protocol. Mr. Adams leads Uniswap Labs, a firm that has developed much of Uniswap, but his team has handed governance of the protocol to a broad community of users that can vote on policy changes.

Community members gain voting power based on their holdings of UNI, a digital token that was distributed by Uniswap’s team last year. The total, fully diluted value of those tokens is about $24 billion, a number sometimes cited as Uniswap’s valuation.

ADVERTISEMENT
About 21% of UNI tokens were set aside for the Uniswap team, while an additional 18% were designated for investors. That means Mr. Adams and other current and future Uniswap Labs employees own a digital stash worth more than $5 billion at today’s prices, although they can’t tap it yet, due to a four-year vesting schedule.

Several years ago, Mr. Adams was jobless and living in his father’s house outside New York. Having recently gotten into crypto, he started a project: building a decentralized exchange based on the Ethereum blockchain network.

Early DEXes struggled to provide good prices for their users because they didn’t have a way to attract market makers—firms that continually buy and sell financial assets, quoting prices that other market participants can trade against.

Mr. Adams’s breakthrough, inspired by a blog post by Ethereum founder Vitalik Buterin, was to design a system of “automated market makers.” These are computer programs that build up pools of tokens contributed by Uniswap users and determine prices using a mathematical formula, based on the supply of tokens in the pools.

In exchange for posting tokens into these pools, Uniswap users get a small percentage of the value of every trade, effectively letting them earn a yield for their crypto assets. More than 100,000 users are now acting as such “liquidity providers” on Uniswap.

It is unclear how much of a threat DEXes pose to centralized exchanges. One major limitation is that they can be used only for crypto-to-crypto trading, so investors seeking to swap dollars for digital currencies must use Coinbase or other conventional exchanges.

Still, the incumbents have taken note. Coinbase listed competition from decentralized platforms as a potential business risk before going public last month.

Mr. Adams predicted that major exchanges would eventually tap into Uniswap’s liquidity pools, essentially becoming front-end interfaces with slick apps and websites that rely on Uniswap behind the scenes to power trading.

To some extent, that is already happening. Coinbase’s wallet service, which lets people hold crypto assets, connects to Uniswap and other DEXes, allowing customers to buy coins unavailable on Coinbase’s exchange.

There is room for both centralized and decentralized exchanges to grow, according to Coinbase Chief Product Officer Surojit Chatterjee. “Crypto isn’t a zero-sum game,” he said. “We see DEXes as a way to expand opportunities for our users.”

So do the transactions occur on the block chain or on some other off chain layer?

For bitcoin I’m guessing off chain b/c lol 7 transactions per second*

*only processed every 10 minutes. Please wait for multiple confirmations. (theoretical top speed, actual speed much lower)

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

nothing good has ever happened on the internet.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
UnisWap is when you’re in an open relationship with yourself

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

UnisWap is when you’re in an open relationship with yourself
a exchange who transact on he own blockchain??

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

catspleen posted:

what is this poo poo?

Hth op

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

catspleen posted:

quote:

It is unclear how much of a threat DEXes pose to centralized exchanges. One major limitation is that they can be used only for crypto-to-crypto trading, so investors seeking to swap dollars for digital currencies must use Coinbase or other conventional exchanges.

so basically they are a silly curiosity, aside from maybe having some potential to obfuscate the movement of cryptocurrencies? you can only use them to convert between different kinds of made up funny money, not actualmoney

are centralised crypto exchanges in trouble?! um... no, because what buttcoiners (and rubes attracted by the bubble) really want is to be rich in actualmoney, and they need the centralised exchanges as on-ramps and off-ramps to do that

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

He absolutely didn't say it!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

30,000 unique tokens
good lord

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Thanks, /r/wallstreetbets idiots.

https://www.theblockcrypto.com/linked/106071/gaming-retailer-gamestop-is-building-an-nft-platform-on-ethereum

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I hope someone shorts them again for this stunt and everyone involved just eats poo poo

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shumagorath posted:

I hope someone shorts them again for this stunt and everyone involved just eats poo poo

:same:

A little schad to counterbalance the anger:

https://old.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/njpicz/crypto_exchange_is_holding_a_lot_of_money_until_i/ posted:

I am dealing with a crypto exchange which I am now wanting to move some of my funds to a cold wallet. To do so, they first locked me out of my account, ceased talking to me, and then when I mentioned I had a lawyer, they finally gave me access back after a month of silence. They have no trustworthiness as they are based in a virtual office in panama, and they have no actual licenses to operate either in their country or internationally. I am now between a rock and a hard place; should I "verify" my account by sending ALL of my legal documents directly to their website without a third party and risking having ALL of my legal information stolen, or should I risk it with a lawyer where they might retaliate and actually close my account for good. Remember, this is a LOT of money we are talking about. I just need advice on what best to do with this "exchange" that has no oversight, and it seems all their legal information is falsified.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
heh
https://twitter.com/dtseng123/status/1397592852893470723

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

number (of dead ssds) go up
https://twitter.com/rbranson/status/1397598281975230464

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

gschmidl posted:

:same:

A little schad to counterbalance the anger:

lol

quote:

To be clear, the amount of crypto that they hold is forever-life-changing (enough to impact my kids' kids), but I have not enough to fund extensive legal action at this moment, only enough for basic filing and couter action, i just wasnt sure if there was any possible thing i could do.

quote:

Literally ALL of it. Social Security, multiple bills to prove I live at my address, birth certificate, passport, driver's license, tax documents, and some more documents that I now forget. To say the least, they are asking for much more documentation than any other exchange, and their KYC is not third party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

as someone who just bought a house, hell yeah they can and should be asking for that much information for a "life-changing" sum of money

what, you want them to let some rando off the street withdraw your money?

oh, you don't trust them with your identifying information? then why did you trust them with your money, dingus? oh right, crypto is trustless lol