Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah and Michael Jordan got paid poo poo comparatively for a long time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

zoux posted:

No! Richard Chamberlain is the only John Blackthorne!!!!

I read Shogun and all the Clavell novels back when I was in college and absolutely loved them (even the helicopter one). I haven't ever revisited them since they were written by a British guy who grew up in the 30s, and are probably unaccountably racist and I just didn't notice because it was 20 years ago and we weren't woke back then.

I'm certainly not the right person to judge, but I read them over the course of the last few years and only Whirlwind came across as particularly racist which might have something to do with it being written so close to the Iranian revolution so the wounds were still pretty fresh.

In Noble House, where you get the most comparisons between Western and Eastern behavior, class and wealth are the much starker behavior demarcations than race. There's plenty of petty, greedy Chinese in the book but it comes off more as the situations they're in requires them to hard scrabble to survive. Both the rich Westerners and Easterners act just as petty and greedy at times but their wealth and power allow them to hide behind a veneer of civility.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Chubby Henparty posted:

Not well connected, but made me think to ask: Did Strange Angel (birth of american rocketry/crowley sex cult show) go anywhere interesting? Which seems like a strange question given the setup but after a few episodes didn't really seem to be making the most of it.

I liked it well enough. It's too bad that they won't get to explore the guy that showed up in the very last scene (L Ron Hubbard), and I think there'd also be more drama and intrigue to mine from German scientists coming to the US and the Cold War kicking off in earnest

I actually like the fact that the occult wasn't really something that they dug into really deeply, and more treated as a somewhat faddish thing that people projected their own drama on. Interest in the occult came and went and had its own trends, and attracted people who were curious and willing to believe in lots of different stuff. Jack Parsons sounds like one of those people. Very curious, willing to dip into whatever well of ideas presented itself to him from rocketry to pacifism and Crowley to zionism. And I'm sure he was convinced of his true belief in all of them, and that his sex cult stuff had great occult value

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

zoux posted:

No! Richard Chamberlain is the only John Blackthorne!!!!

I read Shogun and all the Clavell novels back when I was in college and absolutely loved them (even the helicopter one). I haven't ever revisited them since they were written by a British guy who grew up in the 30s, and are probably unaccountably racist and I just didn't notice because it was 20 years ago and we weren't woke back then.

I don't know about racist, but Shogun was written in a way where the Europeans came off as savage, dirty, unwashed barbarians, and by the mid point Blackthorne has become so enamored with Japanese culture he sees himself as one of them and his old crew as a bunch of dirty monkeys.

In Noble House one of the "antagonists" is the American with the big wallet who wants to come over and swing his dick around, making promises he has no intention of keeping which is a huge faux pas in Hong Kong.

In general the books treat outsiders to the culture with contempt and sort of fawn over the complex web of customs and rituals that make up the Asian society in question.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 25, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

EricBauman posted:

I liked it well enough. It's too bad that they won't get to explore the guy that showed up in the very last scene (L Ron Hubbard), and I think there'd also be more drama and intrigue to mine from German scientists coming to the US and the Cold War kicking off in earnest

I actually like the fact that the occult wasn't really something that they dug into really deeply, and more treated as a somewhat faddish thing that people projected their own drama on. Interest in the occult came and went and had its own trends, and attracted people who were curious and willing to believe in lots of different stuff. Jack Parsons sounds like one of those people. Very curious, willing to dip into whatever well of ideas presented itself to him from rocketry to pacifism and Crowley to zionism. And I'm sure he was convinced of his true belief in all of them, and that his sex cult stuff had great occult value

If that interests you, I'd recommend the book The House of Rumour by Jake Arnott. It has a few plots at once but one of them is the 1930s West Coast sci-fi scene with Parsons, Heinlein, and Hubbard, and another storyline involves Crowley and Ian Fleming, and it covers stuff like the Contactees, Posadists, Jonestown eventually, Cuban Revolution, UFO coverups... really great 20th century conspiracy/occult/sci-fi book.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, according to CW CEO the reason they passed on the Powerpuff Girls pilot was that it was "too campy." Which, come on, its the Powerpuff Girls.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Wait, they canceled Strange Angel right after L Ron Hubbard showed up? :thunkher:

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

"Too campy" coming from the network that produces Riverdale
https://twitter.com/karazorlls/status/1397010155766796291

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Euphoriaphone posted:

Oh wow that's bad lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Euphoriaphone posted:

Tbh I don't see the problem with writing a villain that way.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

There are other screencapped pages floating around, and they are awful

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why are they even trying to make a live-action version?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Because the concept is stupid enough to get people talking about it which is the main way to generate interest nowadays i guess

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Latest episode of Mythic Quest was awesome. This season is great. It's really cool that they haven't fallen into the trap of Flanderising the characters and they're instead unpacking them more and making them more human.

I loved the "I'm giving you that opportunity now" scene

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like "live action Powerpuff Girls" is an idea no one really thought out that much and then when they made it they got exactly what would come from that but it was either a mess or a nightmare.

I hope we get a chance to see it, whatever it is.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Mr Inbetween S3 starts tonight

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Me, a white male writer in Hollywood, you know what would be a great vehicle to burst the lib woke atmosphere smothering Hollywood, the Powerpuff Girls

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
look, no offense, there are many talented actressi in the world but none of them have anywhere near large enough heads to ever successfully portray a powerpuff girl in any convincing or worthwhile capacity.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Any live action Powerpuff Girls that doesn't cast Lisa Kudrow, Courtney Cox and Jennifer Aniston is a failure on its face

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Anyone else watching In Treatment? The first three seasons are some of my favorite TV -- just some of the best acting I've seen from some of the plotlines. The fourth season replaces Gabriel Byrne with Uzo Aduba and it very consciously takes place during May 2021. It's pretty good! The patients this season each seem interesting (and well acted as always, looking forward to seeing what they do with John Benjamin Hickey) and the writing can be a little strained but isn't bad.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I guess it was probably known but Evil Season 2 is going to be Paramount+ exclusive which really bums the Mrs. and me out. We binged the first season over quarantine and it became such a guilty pleasure show full of 'what the gently caress was that!' moments.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Me, a white male writer in Hollywood, you know what would be a great vehicle to burst the lib woke atmosphere smothering Hollywood, the Powerpuff Girls

Wasn't it written by Diablo Cody?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wasn't it written by Diablo Cody?

Oof, no wonder it was bad

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sorting Algorithms posted:

Ali G was created in 1998, he's so old that bringing him back now would be like if somebody made a Bob & Doug Mackenzie or Mr Bill revival the same year that Ali G In Da House came out. He's such a specific type of chav caricature, I can't really see it working in 2021 the same way especially when almost 20 years ago that character was at their peak and they still couldn't get a movie to work. Ignoring how problematic the comedy character of an ethnically ambiguous man talking about being in a gang and going "West Side" and "keep it real" with a patois is, that caricature is now two generations out of date and even old people have moved on from being mad about gangster rap to being outraged about Lil Nas X doing tepid satanic imagery and borrowing marketing gimmicks from KISS so there's no real satirical edge to Ali G.

Best case scenario I could see is something like Borat 2 where he has a younger protege playing a more contemporary type of character like a soundcloud rapper or a DJ and Ali G is there for support and scripted scenes.
My favorite candid Adam thing was about how they had to scrap an episode testing myths about credit cards because credit card companies sponsored their show and were threatening to cut them off because showing how easy it was to copy and skim credit cards made them look bad.

yeah it'd be like making another bill & ted or jurassic park or bringing bruno back idk man

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

yeah it'd be like making another bill & ted or jurassic park or bringing bruno back idk man

Two bad movies and a movie that was entirely about the main characters being old and out of touch, sounds like we're in agreement then.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ali G 100% would not work today lmao

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Chairman Capone posted:

If that interests you, I'd recommend the book The House of Rumour by Jake Arnott. It has a few plots at once but one of them is the 1930s West Coast sci-fi scene with Parsons, Heinlein, and Hubbard, and another storyline involves Crowley and Ian Fleming, and it covers stuff like the Contactees, Posadists, Jonestown eventually, Cuban Revolution, UFO coverups... really great 20th century conspiracy/occult/sci-fi book.

That sounds interesting, thanks!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
oh my GOD the Chad finale :psyduck: bahahahaha gently caress me

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Simone Magus posted:

Oof, no wonder it was bad

Nah. JUNO is whatever but TULLY, YOUNG ADULT and JENNIFER'S BODY are good. The problem is that she's a 40-something woman writing pop-culture savvy 20-somethings and it doesn't work. Not to mention trying to make a rapid-fire cartoon work in live action is a fool's errand. It would be like trying to do a live action ANIMANIACS or something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Juno is good outside of those two awful scenes (the Rainn Wilson one and the first Olivia Thirlby one) but because they’re both super early on in the movie it’s kind of come to be defined by them. Everything with Bateman and Garner, and with Juno’s parents, is excellent

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Ive never seen a movie be so immensely popular and well regarded to 6 months later being despised than Juno.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Looten Plunder posted:

Ive never seen a movie be so immensely popular and well regarded to 6 months later being despised than Juno.

I'm largely indifferent to it, but it was one of those movies where there's one major criticism and it was just endlessly repeated.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

School forced us to watch it. Also Twilight.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sparksbloom posted:

Anyone else watching In Treatment? The first three seasons are some of my favorite TV -- just some of the best acting I've seen from some of the plotlines. The fourth season replaces Gabriel Byrne with Uzo Aduba and it very consciously takes place during May 2021. It's pretty good! The patients this season each seem interesting (and well acted as always, looking forward to seeing what they do with John Benjamin Hickey) and the writing can be a little strained but isn't bad.

Absolutely loved it when it first came on and currently restarted watching it from the beginning.

I lost interest in the 2nd season just due to the number of eps originally but I def wanna get to the reboot? Is that whats happening? Theres a splash of a new actor on the series page on Max.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s basically a reboot. I want to watch it too but it is a LOT of episodes

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

School forced us to watch it. Also Twilight.

Did they even discuss abortions in that movie? It felt weirdly conservative

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah she gets freaked out by the idea that it has fingernails

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Did they even discuss abortions in that movie? It felt weirdly conservative

It's written by a devout Mormon and its sexual politics are horrifyingly regressive. That being said, those movies are alright if you can out that aside and deal with a good amount of soapiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol I was talking about Juno but thanks for the info about Twilight makes sense.