Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tag yourself I'm sokoto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I like how decentralised states are just vague outlines with a name on

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Huh, I always heard that Africa was a matter of the Europeans drawing completely arbitrary lines on a map, turns out the pre-colonial societies already lined up exactly!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Huh, I always heard that Africa was a matter of the Europeans drawing completely arbitrary lines on a map, turns out the pre-colonial societies already lined up exactly!

The only really straight lines I can see there are in the desert areas, where it makes perfect sense for a border to just be a straight line.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

t hose on map shipping lanes tho...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Reveilled posted:

It'd be neat if that was an implemented mechanic.

I don't know how it'd be handled by the engine, but basically you start out with organic provinces that make sense for the region, and then greater powers just start drawing vertical lines where they don't make sense.

Bonus points:

Apply the same mechanic to Europe, so that if things work out differently for African powers, they can split up Europe into nice square shapes.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It'd be neat if that was an implemented mechanic.

I don't know how it'd be handled by the engine, but basically you start out with organic provinces that make sense for the region, and then greater powers just start drawing vertical lines where they don't make sense.

Bonus points:

Apply the same mechanic to Europe, so that if things work out differently for African powers, they can split up Europe into nice square shapes.

I doubt it would work in the engine. Paradox games have a pretty hardcoded province map, and remaking it on the fly would likely cause all sorts of issues. HOWEVER! The reddit post made a comment about being able to break apart States, so that certain provinces are no longer part of the same state they started the game as. So you could have the provinces stay the same, but allow a colonial power to arbitrarily redraw State borders. This would have the same general outcome of states and countries being organized to extract the most value for colonial overlords at the expense of... everything else. I don't know if this is possible and/or in the game, but it seems much more doable than changing the actual base-level provinces

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

bold of them to set the game in the kill six billion demons universe. i hope tom is getting some royalties

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

I really really like how the map has neat little city names now instead of lots of large, awkwardly curved province names like EU4 and CK3. It looks so much more appealing and easy to read.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lanfang appears to be a playable nation, might be a fun/challenging start for a SEA republic.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Looks like a united Japan (at the moment anyway)... maybe a civil war mechanic for the Boshin war?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Can the game be modded to model how Serbia is the most awesome country in the world with the greatest history? I was astoundingly ignorant of the glory of Serbia until I played some mods that corrected the various inaccuracies of Serbian history.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Narrator posted:

Looks like a united Japan (at the moment anyway)... maybe a civil war mechanic for the Boshin war?

Why would Shogunate Japan not be united? It had basically been united and at peace (and prospering which is an important element of why and how Japanese modernization and industrialization was possible and so rapid) with a very strong central government in Edo (which I'm pretty sure was the largest city in the world until London overtook it as the industrial revolution got going) (edit!) for more than 200 years.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 25, 2021

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

What is Paradox trying to hide in Australia, every promo screenshot of the map just so happens to be framed so you can't see it :tinfoil:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

What is Paradox trying to hide in Australia, every promo screenshot of the map just so happens to be frames so you can't see it :tinfoil:

It's so you don't notice they forgot to add New Zealand

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's where the Jan Mayen hyper-empire is centered.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Randarkman posted:

Why would Shogunate Japan not be united? It had basically been united and at peace (and prospering which is an important element of why and how Japanese modernization and industrialization was possible and so rapid) with a very strong central government in Edo (which I'm pretty sure was the largest city in the world until London overtook it as the industrial revolution got going).

Japanese history during the period is a little complex. The Shogunate while powerful, is kinda more like if you had the Holy Roman Empire with the Emperor as a figurehead and Wallenstein controlling the government. IIRC you had dozens if not over a hundred feudal domains that were vassals and the modernist/restoration faction and the shogunate faction in the Boshin War were made up of these feudal domains. The Shogun's influence had waned considerably due to the opening up of Japan to foreigners.

You could use something similar to the V2 China mechanic with the subnations to reflect this as an example. Having Japan start unified in the base game is more of a contrivance to make running Japan convenient for the player but isn't accurate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The map looks a lot nicer in those shots.

Also, the Boshin War irl had fewer casualties than like, three Fall of the Samurai TW battles will have. Like 5000 killed. Please don't add it if it's going to end up a giant multi-year civil war every time like how it's impossible for anyone to take England by the end of 1066 in CK3.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 25, 2021

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Japanese history during the period is a little complex. The Shogunate while powerful, is kinda more like if you had the Holy Roman Empire with the Emperor as a figurehead and Wallenstein controlling the government. IIRC you had dozens if not over a hundred feudal domains that were vassals and the modernist/restoration faction and the shogunate faction in the Boshin War were made up of these feudal domains. The Shogun's influence had waned considerably due to the opening up of Japan to foreigners.

You could use something similar to the V2 China mechanic with the subnations to reflect this as an example. Having Japan start unified in the base game is more of a contrivance to make running Japan convenient for the player but isn't accurate.

It's a LOT more accurate than depicting independent nations instead of a unified Japan. The Shogunate was highly centralized, as can be shown by how swiftly the Boshin War was handled and the Restoration began.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crazycryodude posted:

What is Paradox trying to hide in Australia, every promo screenshot of the map just so happens to be framed so you can't see it :tinfoil:

Remember the Hansa LP? :cthulhu:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I say don't split it up unless you need to do it by event for a civil war. The US isn't split into states and territories subject to the federal government (which was alot weaker vis-a-vis the states at this point in history than it was coming out of the ACW and later on in the 20th century) prior the US Civil War either.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

The substates thing is what HPM for V2 does with Japan, where it's splint into a bunch of clans and Imperial Japan, all of which are substates of the Shogunate. One thing this does allow you to do in HPM is play as any one of them and have them re-unify the country as the winner of the Boshin war instead of always having to take the Shogunate side.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Beamed posted:

It's a LOT more accurate than depicting independent nations instead of a unified Japan. The Shogunate was highly centralized, as can be shown by how swiftly the Boshin War was handled and the Restoration began.

The Shogunate clearly wasn't very centralized given it had to deal with a full blown civil war in which it lost. You're confusing how quickly the feudal domains allowed themselves to be re-centralized under the Imperial court and the resulting new government/Diet with how they were in the 50 some-odd years leading up to it. Feudal Japan is still Feudal Japan. Plenty of European feudal nations looked centralized from the outside until they weren't thanks to the feudal/social contract the landed nobility held with the King. And the power balance between the Shogun and the Daimyo changed from reign to reign.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What benefits does uncentralized shogun have.

What would it accomplish

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
How did the (nominal) republic of Haiti play in Vicky 2? As one of the few states calling itself a republic at the start date of 1836, you'd figure it'd be a pretty interesting start.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vagabong posted:

How did the (nominal) republic of Haiti play in Vicky 2? As one of the few states calling itself a republic at the start date of 1836, you'd figure it'd be a pretty interesting start.

There is unfortunately not a lot to them, being only a single state with a pretty low population that can't really eat any of its neighbours to expand. You can get literacy up fast and use the old "go all in on art" strategy to pump up your prestige, but you will hit a wall pretty quickly in terms of how much you can do with them.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Raenir Salazar posted:

The Shogunate clearly wasn't very centralized given it had to deal with a full blown civil war in which it lost. You're confusing how quickly the feudal domains allowed themselves to be re-centralized under the Imperial court and the resulting new government/Diet with how they were in the 50 some-odd years leading up to it. Feudal Japan is still Feudal Japan. Plenty of European feudal nations looked centralized from the outside until they weren't thanks to the feudal/social contract the landed nobility held with the King. And the power balance between the Shogun and the Daimyo changed from reign to reign.

Losing a civil war rapidly is itself indicative of high centralization, though?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

The thing is I don't know what you gain by having that level of granularity instead of just have the conservative daimyos and samurai be pops that oppose your attempts at modernization just like what they are doing for the planter aristocracy in the american south. Hell in the US you could probably plausibly argue for it to be broken up into its own historical subnations (states) but I don't think you gain anything from doing that either.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Making the case that Tsarist Russia was actually a decentralised state because it lost a civil war ?????

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Vagabong posted:

I had a great game with Haiti in V2, though I was quite lucky at a couple of key moments. I had immense satisfaction at eventually managing to take that one island off from Denmark and I really want to recreate that moment in Vicky 3.
It was one of the few games in which I played until the end, and I managed to take quite a few Carribbean islands (including Hispaniola, obviously), I think only excluding the British ones. I played as a (nominal) republic until the end, with very few voting reforms. I've no idea what Haiti is like in real life, but I hope it's better than the super conservative state I created!

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Vagabong posted:

like a weaker uruguay, you can go heavy on immigrant attraction but it's pretty hard to do much besides maybe eat the DR early.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't understand this argument. Do you also support every US state being separate from the federal government in DC? Because clearly they had a lot of their own power.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't understand this argument. Do you also support every US state being separate from the federal government in DC? Because clearly they had a lot of their own power.

They STILL have a lot of power to this day as shown in this idiotic patchwork pandemic management we have in the US

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Do you need to watch out for the US attacking you or can you just chill and stack up prestige all day? Building a utopian Haitian paradise sounds kind of nice on its own compared to the :smith: historical reality :smith:

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
This comparison to the antebellum US is really nonsensical. Did individual states have their own foreign policy, including armed conflicts with foreign powers? Did they have foreign vassals?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cockblocktopus posted:

Do you need to watch out for the US attacking you or can you just chill and stack up prestige all day? Building a utopian Haitian paradise sounds kind of nice on its own compared to the :smith: historical reality :smith:

You can chill. the us probably won't invade.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

zhuge liang posted:

This comparison to the antebellum US is really nonsensical. Did individual states have their own foreign policy, including armed conflicts with foreign powers? Did they have foreign vassals?

Yes actually but the argument reanir is making still doesn't hold up

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_at_Fort_Utah
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_Norton

Anyways Utah under Brigham young was basically an independent fiefdom

And the vast majority of the conflicts the US fought in the period was states unlawfully encroaching on native territory.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 26, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Looks like the Haitian revolution, which was 1791-1804

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

zhuge liang posted:

no foreign vassals but US states do indeed maintain their own standing armies in the form the each state's National Guard and the territories that were eventually integrated into states maintained militias, those national guard and militia units were a major part of the fight force in the American Indian Wars and fought both with and without federal assistance, especially during the civil war when federal troops were otherwise occupied

these units would also be the primary fighting force in the US labor wars in the late 19th century as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zhuge liang posted:

I mean yes they did. Even if you pretend Indian tribes aren’t sovereign for whatever reason