Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Good tips, thanks! I am slowly getting used to the slow swipe up to get the cards. The horizontal swipe on the bar is very useful. I may stop using task switch for the most part because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I cannot recommend this app enough.

Download Soulver.

Best $3 I ever spent on an app. Works for both iPhone and iPad. I use my calculator everyday for work, and it’s By far the best calculator app.

I really want to like this but it doesn't seem to help in my precalculus class. :(

Am I missing something?

It'd be cool to type in parts of the problem like that and get the answer.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

rohan posted:

I think it’s clicked now, to the extent that using my iPhone 8 with its home button now feels awkward (and I keep trying to wake it by tapping the screen, which is, yes, a much more convenient way to unlock).

Depending on tiredness/intoxication levels I sometimes find myself trying to four finger swipe between apps on my Android phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rohan posted:

I think it’s clicked now, to the extent that using my iPhone 8 with its home button now feels awkward (and I keep trying to wake it by tapping the screen, which is, yes, a much more convenient way to unlock).

For a while I had an iPhone 11 Pro for my personal phone and an iPhone SE work phone, and the muscle memory going from swipe to home button and back drove me slightly nuts.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I really want to like this but it doesn't seem to help in my precalculus class. :(

Am I missing something?

It'd be cool to type in parts of the problem like that and get the answer.

Ok, to be fair, when I say best calculator app, I mean best basic calculator app.

My use case: I work for a phone carrier, so my day is adding up basic numbers all day. Like telling people “your plan is $45 + $55 + $55” or whatever. So just being able to have multiple lines that then add up at the bottom is huge for me and for the most part all I need. I am doing almost exclusively addition sms subtraction, but for 1-10 factors, so it’s great to be able to see the difference.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 25, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Re: calculators, for a semi-basic standard but more useful calculator I've been using Calcbot since whenever it came out forever ago. I have Soulver too but use that more as a funky notes app with calculations thing for some particular uses.

Lordshmee posted:

Good tips, thanks! I am slowly getting used to the slow swipe up to get the cards. The horizontal swipe on the bar is very useful. I may stop using task switch for the most part because of that.
You can swipe at whatever speed, it's the stop (or even just deceleration) before releasing that's the key to it.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

My preorder wasn’t going to get here for another three weeks so I found 1tb 12.9” for local pickup nearby.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lordshmee posted:

The swipes are all muscle memory. I had the same thoughts when I picked up my Air 4 for the first time, but using it now is just like second nature.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

for anyone thinking about the magical micro led ipad 12,9

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

coke posted:

please tell me that's a bad photo

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I rarely draw in a completely dark room and honestly I don't read in bed without a light on so I doubt I'll be having any problems.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
the worst part is that if you are dragging the screen around the light cutoff it will create a parabolic curve of light trail, starting from where the lit content of the screen, then disappear as soon as you stop moving the screen

also there seem to be a delay of the micro led light zone turning off, almost like a lag of some sort

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Should've just made it oled

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

coke posted:

that is absolutely worse in the photo than it is to the human eye (or at least my eyes on my own ipad) but it is 100% noticeable when you’re looking at white UI on black background. it’s genuinely pretty distracting to me, though ymmv i’m guessing.
it’s also so weird i wonder if it’s a software bug or something, because like… there’s supposed to be 2500 dimming zones or something, right? how the heck is there such a huge zone where the smallest white UI element has at least a half inch of backlight leaking out??

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

inferis posted:

My preorder wasn’t going to get here for another three weeks so I found 1tb 12.9” for local pickup nearby.

Yeah, I’ve already picked it up (2TB). Had to settle for silver instead of space gray, but fine. I just think this is stupid. I get that they want to have things on hand in the store, but there shouldn’t be such a big difference.

If your online order delivery is still weeks out, the system should allow you to have it changed to pickup automatically once they have stock.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

i went with silver because i'm only interested in black if they can bring back the old iPhone 5 black

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

coke posted:

Thank you, Dr. Samsung. Next we'll work on your punctuation and capitalization.

This is not how that the voice memo app looks, even with the lights out, but great job.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Thank you, Dr. Samsung. Next we'll work on your punctuation and capitalization.

This is not how that the voice memo app looks, even with the lights out, but great job.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Looks like the the glow follows the comma and the letters below the lines too.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Oooh, checkmate. Tell me more about how this is supposed to look on my 12.9 Mini LED iPad...

It's either your camera, its settings or photoshopped. It does not look like this at all in person, but whatever. Photos on the internet have to be real.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I would like you both to send me your ipads and I will the judge of this.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Oooh, checkmate. Tell me more about how this is supposed to look on my 12.9 Mini LED iPad...

It's either your camera, its settings or photoshopped. It does not look like this at all in person, but whatever. Photos on the internet have to be real.
lol sure buddy, feel free to post how it ‘supposed’ to look like from your point of view, it’s just a night shot exposure on the phone as i can’t be bothered to get out the big camera right now

it is what it is, the garbage screen has some lovely artifacts under certain conditions but i’ll keep on using it :shrug:

i’m posting it just so no one else is surprised after spending over 1G on a tablet, but keep on making GBS threads on the facts i posted while hand waving away issues and not really adding anything to the discussion

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

The General posted:

I would like you both to send me your ipads and I will the judge of this.

Right.

I am simply not seeing on mine what user coke is posting here. I'm sure that some bloom exists, though I have trouble seeing it. But if it looked as poo poo as on those photographs, I doubt none of the reviewers would have pointed that out in a major way. It it looked like that, I would go for a refund.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
it was literally mentioned in the verges review though

quote:

There was one odd bug I experienced. Putting either the Kindle app or Apple Books into dark mode and viewing them in a near-pitch black room, I noticed a strange gray haze around all of the text blocks. It’s too big to be blooming; it’s more like the local dimming algorithms got a little confused. It’s a minor thing that I hope gets fixed.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Apple Books looking pretty good to me in a pitch-black room :confused:

I guess there’s a chance the issue mentioned in the Verge review was a software bug that’s since been fixed in 14.6, but I haven’t seen anything remotely like coke’s photos even before that update.

[edit: I guess you can't edit attachments once they've been uploaded? :( sorry if I'm killing anyone's h-scroll

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rohan fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 26, 2021

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

rohan posted:

Apple Books looking pretty good to me in a pitch-black room :confused:

I guess there’s a chance the issue mentioned in the Verge review was a software bug that’s since been fixed in 14.6, but I haven’t seen anything remotely like coke’s photos even before that update.

[edit: I guess you can't edit attachments once they've been uploaded? :( sorry if I'm killing anyone's h-scroll

This is how mine looks. Since the install process allows you to install the current iPadOS version, I've never used it with anything before 14.6. (It came with 14.5.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
If you buy an new Apple product on day one, especially with some new feature like the screen, sometimes there’s gonna be an issue with it. Based on the reviews , sounds like hopefully this one is just a software fix.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

god lmao that Apple people like this still exist in 2021, jfc

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
obviously taking a photo of it with your phone makes it look worse, but my 12.9's screen has that same bloom on the voice memos app and the awful app. no idea why you would get mad over photos. weird!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

George Kansas posted:

obviously taking a photo of it with your phone makes it look worse, but my 12.9's screen has that same bloom on the voice memos app and the awful app. no idea why you would get mad over photos. weird!

People get insanely defensive of their expensive toy purchases

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Right.

I am simply not seeing on mine what user coke is posting here. I'm sure that some bloom exists, though I have trouble seeing it. But if it looked as poo poo as on those photographs, I doubt none of the reviewers would have pointed that out in a major way. It it looked like that, I would go for a refund.

i know coke loves to janitor their poo poo to an absolutely unreasonable degree, but 9to5mac, the verge, techcrunch all mention bloom in their reviews and macrumors, etc. have mentioned it in articles. it’s absolutely a thing and it’s been pointed out by at least a handful of sites.
like i said in my reply to coke, it’s more pronounced in photos and really only shows up in dark rooms, but it’s absolutely there and at least to me and on my ipad, it’s distracting.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Bought a 1TB 11” Pro yesterday to replace my 7th gen. The jump from the old model is crazy. Not jazzed about having to re-buy my Pencil but that’s the price of progress I guess.

Is the $300 keyboard really worth the $300? I had the folio keyboard on my old iPad and found the stand hinge kind of annoyingly fussy, so I’m curious if the nicer one is in fact nicer.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

also my 12.9 has an issue with the opposite, on bright white screens, the very edges of my display are noticeably dimmer than the rest of the display.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kitten smoothie posted:

Bought a 1TB 11” Pro yesterday to replace my 7th gen. The jump from the old model is crazy. Not jazzed about having to re-buy my Pencil but that’s the price of progress I guess.

Is the $300 keyboard really worth the $300? I had the folio keyboard on my old iPad and found the stand hinge kind of annoyingly fussy, so I’m curious if the nicer one is in fact nicer.

It's nice, but I think the 11" size can be had on sale somewhat often for $200 instead. If you don't think you need the keyboard right this second, I'd wait for a sale to show up.

Maybe that won't happen as often with the "new" keyboards, but saving $100 is always nice if you can.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

it’s the quintessential apple product in that i think it’s no question better than any alternative on the market and something i use every day, and also somehow kind of a bad value at the same time, if that makes any sense? it’s really good, but jesus christ, $300??

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

sleepwalkers posted:

it’s the quintessential apple product in that i think it’s no question better than any alternative on the market and something i use every day, and also somehow kind of a bad value at the same time, if that makes any sense? it’s really good, but jesus christ, $300??

I’m $1500 lighter after buying the iPad and AppleCare, so yes this lands way too hard.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I can't possibly justify one of the keyboard cases at that price range. I just use the Logitech K380 and then an otterbox case. Honestly, I might return the otterbox and get a smart folio, because I really do love that thing, even though it doesn't really offer it as much protection as I'd like. I don't use my iPad in a way where I need a keyboard that often, maybe like 10%-20% of the time? So having the external not constantly taking up space is really nice.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have both of the keyboard cases ( I got them both for a really good price) and while I love the trackpad I keep the other one on like 99% of the time.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

sleepwalkers posted:

also my 12.9 has an issue with the opposite, on bright white screens, the very edges of my display are noticeably dimmer than the rest of the display.
I’m seeing the same thing on mine. It looks like the display extends beyond the area the LEDs can illuminate, causing a slight vignetting effect.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I've got a 2nd get iPad Pro 12.9 that doesn't seem to go into critical power mode (when it doesn't power on and shows the graphic of a dead battery and a lightning cable). It will hard shut down on its own but when I press the lock/power button it will boot up again. It's been doing this for about 7 cycles now. Doesn't ever go into the critical power (won't boot) mode. I guess it's confused about the battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
The apple store at HQ had a big restock of iPads this morning so I cancelled my preorder and picked it up from. Now I’m ruminating over a new case. How do people like the Smart Keyboard case?